Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier dies in La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
jjams82 wrote:
... and i suspect most people if they knew there was a queue behind them would do (and in my limited experience always have done) the same.
That's not my experience of teaching the kinds of skier that will waive on a cat track. Many will be alarmed by an unexpected noise from behind them, especially if it's in a foreign language or inexplicable as tapping poles. I simply don't see the need to warn people in front of you. You can either pass them safely, or you slow down momentarily and pass them a few seconds later. Sure is frustrating to lose a bit of speed, but you are sharing the pistes with other people so a bit or respect wouldn't go amiss.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I dont' imagine we'll agree on this, but so far no one's ever had a negative reaction so until that happens i'll continue where unavoidable and no passing place is anywhere to be seen. I can't think i've done it more than a few times and it's aways been very well taken.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
jjams82 wrote:
... and i suspect most people if they knew there was a queue behind them would do (and in my limited experience always have done) the same.
That's not my experience of teaching the kinds of skier that will waive on a cat track. Many will be alarmed by an unexpected noise from behind them, especially if it's in a foreign language or inexplicable as tapping poles. I simply don't see the need to warn people in front of you. You can either pass them safely, or you slow down momentarily and pass them a few seconds later. Sure is frustrating to lose a bit of speed, but you are sharing the pistes with other people so a bit or respect wouldn't go amiss.

I think giving some warning that you are behind is not necessarily a bad idea, If a novice is going to be startled by a noise from behind they are likely to be just as startled with a skier appearing alongside them only with less room to manouver.
I don't think the noise gives you any rights for overtaking but it can be courteous.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, when I was learning and a bit jumpy I would far rather have some warning (not a full on shout though) than someone just come zipping by. I always slow down to pass (if at all) on cat tracks but, as my mother always taught me, do unto others...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jeez, I give up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dp wrote:
geeo wrote:
dp wrote:
geeo wrote:
Quote:

I am often pulled up by people asking why I ski off piste, because it's dangerous with avalanches and trees and rocks and that sort of thing.

Yes yes. Sure you are. And they say how great a skier you are also. rolling eyes

You what?

You're talking a lot of crap.. Clear enough?

Are you this confrontational in person or only when you're behind your keyboard?

Have you never had people say to you "I don't do off piste / backcountry - it's dangerous" - as if skiing pistes is all good? That's all I am saying The naivety is there. People believe they are safer on pistes and do not need to be as focussed or as aware of their surroundings because in their minds, the fact that they're on a managed, conditioned run makes it safe whereas skiing on unmanaged, unchartered snow is dangerous. I simply disagree with the proposition because I think people are the least predictable thing in the world.

But tell me, why is that crap? Puzzled

Are you this stupid in real life or just on the internet ? You seem to need to clarify your posts an awful lot, is English your first language Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob's not often wrong but I think we've now got to a stage where people are talking at cross purposes. I'm on the side that says more data is better than less so if I get a audible cue that somebody is immediately behind or alongside me I tend to find that useful so I know it would be better for me to progress with my current path or movement pattern. Now others might interpret that as harassment or be sticklers for their own right of way or be reduced to jelly at the thought of someone within 5 m of them. As there isn't anything in the code saying "You shall not alert other slope users to your presence" I don't think there is a right or wrong here. Obviously going full Brian Blessed might verge on the rude.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geeo, It's not that I'm stupid, it's just that on the internet, where people can play the hard man, there are many people, seeming yourself included, who look at posts in the worst way that they could have been meant. Without being open minded and just thinking the worst in people and constructing their response to interpret the post in a way that finds it offensive.

You've seen my post and you've seen my clarification, can you not see that it is you who has completely mis-interpreted the first, and then needed it explained? Perhaps the fact that you needed it explained proves that it is in fact you who is stupid.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Obviously going full Brian Blessed might verge on the rude.

I was trying out skiing on one ski last week on a cat track (it was quite quiet and I was leaving a good space to one side) and absolutely shat myself when I just heard a German accent shouting ACHTUNG!! behind me....so I definitely know what Rob is saying, and agree that a loud shout is not the most helpful. I do agree with you though that at least some kind of warning is good, which is why I sometimes opt for the pole tap. Like I said in my last post, I do what I'd like others to do if the boot was on the other foot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
jjams82 wrote:
In that situation i reckon it's just fine to alert them to your presence.
No, I don't think it is fine. They are entitled to ski in that way should they choose, as frustrating as it is for people behind them. Pass them safely or be patient for a few seconds until you can pass them with sufficient space. Shouting at people to get out of the way seems bad mannered, and possibly counterproductive.

None of the posts that I have read say anything about shouting at others to get out of the way. Skiing in Canada for the first time where almost everyone speaks English, I have frequently heard a polite voice behind me say "on your right/left" when I have been on slow tracks and others are on faster skis, in Europe, where there can be a dozen languages spoken, the tappety tap of ski poles is used just to say "I am here" rather than "get out of the way!" Because it's not always that easy for a beginner especially to look behind them whilst skiing, to see if it's clear to turn to the side of the piste to stop.
There was an earlier post from someone who was hit from behind by a snowboarder with "no warning" , the poster must be deaf if that is the case, given the amount of noise that snowboards make, or perhsps they had a helmet on with music playing?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, just boarded a flight so can't reply fully, but how do you know what kind of skier is in front of you? And how often do you get passed on a cat track and the manner of your skiing prompts an audible warning which you would find useful?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes......how often do you get passed on a cat track and the manner of your skiing prompts an audible warning which you would find useful?

@rob@rar, no one passes Dave - there's no room Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, I was going to say because he's such a good skier, but if you're happy to say that to your copilot...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah no problem. To think of recent examples I've been backed up behind traffic so a cue that someone else is coming to my right prevents me making my pass at that point. NB in the sort of places that take significant deliberate navigation to get to not where a genuinely nervous skier is going to be.

And places like I've mentioned before where a 3 or 4 lift system is filtering back to a single lift at the end of the day and 3 or 4 abreast on a single cattrack is the norm.

I don't spend much time near anyone and will step off piste to let traffic clear out if necessary so this isn't a huge deal in reality for me but I do think there is a part of self awareness that should mean that people are responsible enough to recognise that high traffic "commuter" routes aren't the place for them to do exactly as they wish: both in front and behind.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can I please just clarify my status on all above points because I seem to be being treated as a hooligan who goes around pushing people off skis. Obviously there are some trolls here that you cannot satisfy, but if @geeo is correct and I am in fact just stupid then perhaps it needs some clarity.

Pushing smaller skiers out of the way
When I started out - skiing daily, I was aware that I was a large skier and when cut up by other people, with them doing something dangerous, and finding myself in a position where I was about to hit them (this happened twice, in a year of frequent skiing)... I would do everything in my power to avoid them; even where it meant doing something dangerous so as to cause a greater danger to myself. In one of the two incidents, I broke a bone in my face. I have since decided that it might have been better for me, to instead have hit the other person, or indeed, pushed them out of the way. It may even be safer for them too, and safer for other people skiing in the same area. Ultimately, the person who has caused the incident is the person who has the least right to come off no harm done; and I should not have a holiday ending injury because I didn't want to hurt somebody else, who caused it the incident to begin with. I think this policy is completely reasonable. OBVIOUSLY this is last choice and going past safely without harming anyone's fun is always the preference.

Contrary to Pruman's trolling, I do not simply ski around all day, pushing over small people for sh*ts and giggles. Although now maybe as he's suggested it, I might learn to snowboard, grow a beard, call everyone dude, and make a gopro video of me pushing over small people and shouting to all my mates about how rad it is.

Shouting "on your left" / "on your right" when coming up behind somebody a bit fast
I stated in the most obvious method possible (but apparently still not obvious enough) that this is not good practice and is not acceptable as a method of passing slower skiers. HOWEVER, I also think that, if you are the slower skier in front, it would be wise to listen to these commands, if you understand the language that you are receiving them in. It's all very well staying where you are and thinking "well I'm in the right, these are the FIS rules" but right of way doesn't buy you anything against something heavy hitting you at speed. So therefore it would be wise to attempt to comply with shouted warnings, which may exist because either (a) the person behind you is an asshat, or (b) the person behind you has suffered an exceptional set of circumstances which has caused them to come up behind you a bit quick and is genuinely trying to protect you as their other options are limited. FIS rules might protect you with the ski patrol, but they won't keep you out of hospital.

Saying that skiing off piste is safer
Contrary to how it was taken, I was not attempting to come across as Gnarly McGnarFace. I was more attempting to point out that it's a common misconception that skiing off piste is more dangerous because you are dealing with the likes of nature, and yes it's true that nature can be a cruel mistress. The point being that people who ski off-piste, especially in areas with avalanche risk, tend to take all the risks into account when partaking in those activities. The trouble with people in pisted areas is that they seem to think that because there are sign posts, fences and ski patrol, they can switch off a bit because it's a managed, safety-approved activity. If you climb Snowdon at home, you will find more accidents on the easy route than on the hardcore climbing routes... partly because there are more people using them, and partly because the kind of people who use the easy public route are often blissfully naive to any amount of knowledge or preparation or correct equipment etc. Ultimately the point I was making that in any situation, people are often the most dangerous part about it because people are unpredictable. More unpredictable than nature. With nature, we've learned many of the formulae and the tell tale signs that bad things are about to happen. People do things for reasons that nobody knows. The human brain is still fairly unchartered territory.

So no, I am not a risk taker, inconsiderate skier or a violent person who pushes kids off their skis.

I think people need to look at posts and ask themselves if it's unreasonable, or even ask the poster if they can clarify, rather than just wading in with your size 9 assumptions and angry responses. I don't think many, if any skiers really go out on the mountain with a conscious malicious intent or disregard for others' safety... people just need to be woken up that it's a potentially dangerous activity and you can't afford to treat other people as of secondary importance or treat crashes as an accepted part of the sport. But people do, and that is the biggest problem. People.

Sorry that's a really long post but I wanted to clarify where I actually stand on it, rather than seeing various internet trolls' perverse interpretations of it.
ski holidays
"When in a hole, stop digging!"
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, valid, but I felt like writing one clarified point of view rather than people forming their opinions on 5 pages of deliberate misinterpretations
ski holidays
The FIS rules are simple and explicit. It might be an idea if those who would like to add "enhancements" to the FIS rules go through the channels and get them introduced into the FIS rules in a formal way. Then everyone will know about them. At the moment the person in front has the absolute right to do what ever they want. If you are behind, its your job to pass safely. Its a simple enough rule. If you are not a good enough a skier to ski in a way that allows you to do this, then go take some lessons until you are , simples.
latest report
Quote:

At the moment the person in front has the absolute right to do what ever they want.

unless they are setting off or joining the piste of course.
snow conditions
I was on the Pre Saint Esprit lift up to Les Arcs 2000 today and saw the patrol people and medics doing what looked like CPR on some poor soul on the piste between 2000 and 1950. I'm fairly sure there was someone else being attended to, so I guess it was a collision. They were still doing the CPR when I passed by about a half hour later. I hope it wasn't as bad as it looked.
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:
Quote:

At the moment the person in front has the absolute right to do what ever they want.

unless they are setting off or joining the piste of course.
In which case they would be guilty of breaching Rule 5 of the FIS code , which specifies that a person joining a piste or starting their run has to do so in a safe manner without endangering those who are above them. Crashing in to the back of a skier who leaps on to the piste from a piste-side frolic without ensuring it is safe to do so is not a breach of Rule 4 (which requires enough room to overtake in a safe manner, placing responsibility on the uphill skier).
snow report
@rob@rar, yes, for the avoidance of doubt, that's what I'm saying. But people simply don't know the rules and I know for a fact that the FIS Rules are used in court to determine right and wrong so really people should. Not enough instructors talk about it to their pupils before they set off, and resorts don't seem do anything useful at all. The time to get the message over is at the point of sale of a lift pass.

The annoying and pointless (mainly French) habit of pole tapping or shouting from behind will never make it into ze rules. It simply confuses and has people making moves they don't want to be making.
snow report
Pruman wrote:
... I know for a fact that the FIS Rules are used in court to determine right and wrong...
Indeed. The police report of my collision last month has just been sent to the Austrian prosecutors office.
ski holidays
Quote:

The time to get the message over is at the point of sale of a lift pass.

I have often wondered why they don't give you a copy of the rules when you buy a lift pass.
latest report
@swiftoid, I've often seen them printed on the back piste maps, along with all sorts of other random stuff.
I've seen them on the walls of lift offices fighting for attention with posters of happy skiers or signs to the loo and I've seen them on posters on lift pylons in between posters advertising irrelevant fripperies.
Given the presentation, perhaps it's unsurprising people don't read/remember them...

Couldn't insurance companies do more encourage safe behaviour? After all, they're the ones effectively laying odds on people being beset by misfortune.
OK, so knowing the rules and having a better awareness of where risks lie and what constitutes safe behaviour, don't guarantee your safety but must surely improve it, making you a lower risk overall and hence worthy of a smaller premium, no? And there's the incentive.

Say if there was an approved, basic mountain safety course that people could go on (perhaps as little as a half day) that insurance companies took as proof that someone was aware at least of the basics and awarded a discount accordingly.
Off the top o' me head, if the course cost say £25 and knocked a similar amount off your premium, you'd be quits first year and quids in thereafter. Give it a 5 year validity to get people to refresh periodically. Maybe roll it in with a basic first aid course and make a full day of it?

Skiing is unregulated and I'd like it to stay that way (I mean, who wants to have to pass a test before being allowed off the green slopes?) but as a result, there's no differentiation between one who goes cautiously, bothers to get tuition, to learn the FIS rules and respect them and one who just turns up and throws themselves down the hill as some kind of macho survival challenge.
Those who bother to be safe, are effectively covering the cost of the indiscretions of of the irresponsible through higher premiums while being put at increased risk to boot.
snow report
@jtr, sounds nasty, never nice to see anyone getting that kind of medical attention. In Ski Amadé the other week we got held in a lift queue because a helicopter had to take off with someone in it Sad
ski holidays
admin wrote:

Say if there was an approved, basic mountain safety course that people could go on (perhaps as little as a half day) that insurance companies took as proof that someone was aware at least of the basics and awarded a discount accordingly.
Off the top o' me head, if the course cost say £25 and knocked a similar amount off your premium, you'd be quits first year and quids in thereafter. Give it a 5 year validity to get people to refresh periodically. Maybe roll it in with a basic first aid course and make a full day of it?

The other benefit of such a course is it means that you can't pretend you didn't know any better. So if you break a rule, and end up hurting yourself or somebody else, you can't plead ignorance because having done the course you've been explained the rules. I don't want to see skiing overcome by the litigation brigade but it probably should be because at the end of the day a busy piste is like a busy road and the speeds aren't dissimilar, and we would never condone the idea of having lots of people driving down the road at speed on the basis of no license, a couple of driving lessons and no real knowledge of the highway code!!!

In my profession, there was no qualification at all (despite being a high risk job) until about 7-8 years ago. When it first came in, there was a lot of opposition from people saying I've been doing this job 20 years and never had an accident, why are you telling me I need a certificate all of a sudden? but then in time, people realised that it wasn't hard to get, and if you couldn't pass the exam, then you were probably not somebody suitable to be doing the job. But it is also a useful litigation tool when it comes to employers' liability etc... the individual can't plead ignorance if they have a certificate saying they passed an exam on that very subject. Now we are at a stage where very few people don't have the certificate, nobody is any the worse off for it, but it's a bit easier for the companies booking sub-cons because if you don't have it they can rule you out immediately. I won't engage a sub-con without the certificate, they protest and say "I've been doing it for 20 years, how old are you? I was doing this when you were in nappies" and all that kind of BS, my response can simply be "well in that case you won't have any difficulty passing it... now off you go".

I'm genuinely not somebody who wants to see a world where you have a certificate to wipe your own bottom... but at the same time, if a half day course and test on a green slope is going to actively reduce the chances of having my legs broken by some cockwomble attempting to ride a fibreglass plank (or 2...) down a mountain quickly on the basis of a youtube tutorial and an introductory session in the snowdome... then I'd be up for it
snow report
@admin, @dp, I don't see a course as a viable solution for several reasons:
1.Resorts can't afford to discourage skiers/boarders and this would be a major disincentive for many.
2. Insurance companies won't want to Give discounts for this. I doubt they would be convinced by either the business case or whether it will actually have a significant impact on the accident rate.

I do think there is a problem that not enough people know the FIS rules. From what I've seen of my children's tuition in France, Italy and Austria, the rules are simply not taught in many ski schools. They should be. Perhaps you should have to complete a quick test before being awarded your next level. That test could be oral and informal.

Overall, I think there should be greater awareness of the rules. I suspect a few of the skiers I know well don't even know the rules exist. Every piste map should carry them. Put posters of them in bubbles/cable cars, lift queues. Maybe have online quizzes on insurance company websites. Etc.

Ultimately, I think the majority of accidents would not be avoided by better knowledge of the rules. (Although where to stop on a piste and looking before setting off are habits that could easily be ingrained).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The TO could help by spending five minutes on the transfer going through the rules. They could come up with a fun informative video to show like some flight safety ones.
snow report
Issuing a 'license' (Which is what is being implied) showing you can control yourself in under observed conditions is one thing; actively controlling yourself while out in 'the wild' is another. You'd need to implement some kind on internationally recognised license, which everyone would have to agree on, and the international community can't even agree on standards of instructors. And a resort saying "Yes, this guy can ski safely" opens them up for all kinds of potential legal issues should you then go on to wipe out a ski-school of nuns carrying kittens in baskets.

Better to invest in eyes on the ground who can pull up people acting like twunts on their dangerous skiing and issue on-the-spot fines as well as pulling passes.
snow conditions
I don't have a problem with a voluntary training course recognised by insurance companies, especially if it made insurance a bit cheaper. However, I have my doubts that it would make insurance cheaper, but not working in that industry I could be wildly wrong, nor contribute much to safety improvements. I suppose you could look to the Guild of Advanced Motorists (or whatever it's called) and the benefits that they offer as one example, although it's not going to help much if you have passed a test saying your are a Super Safe Skier if someone ploughs (actually, carves being a more appropriate term) in to the back of you.

It seems to me that a lack of awareness of the rules isn't really the problem. It's a lack of respect for the people you share the slopes with. Knowing what your responsibilities are won't help if you don't want to take your responsibilities seriously.

I don't think there is an easy or obvious answer to reducing the number of dangerous skiing incidents which involve other people, but I think lift company piste patrols is part of the solution. They could offer advice, warnings and in the most egregious cases cancel lift passes for a set out of time.
ski holidays
Quote:
I don't think there is an easy or obvious answer to reducing the number of dangerous skiing incidents which involve other people

I can think of two.

1. Ban all sales of alcohol in mountain restaurants

2. Empower ski patrollers to administer breath tests to skiers/boarders if they attend a serious incident, or observe erratic or dangerous behaviour. The sanction for being found above the alcohol limit for driving should be confiscation of lift pass at least, and possibly criminal prosecution.

I am constantly amazed at the willingness of people to drink alcohol, and then resume skiing/riding. I am fairly sure that most of them would not dream of drinking and driving, so why do they think it is OK to drink and ski/ride?

There have been numerous studies (of motorists) showing that even a single unit of alcohol causes significant degradation of motor skills and reaction times. Clearly these studies also apply to skiing/riding, where similar skills are required.
In addition, alcohol also reduces inhibitions, causing behaviour to become more reckless and inconsiderate.
I do not know if there are any figures available on whether alcohol is involved in skiing incidents.

Probably this semi-rant belongs in a separate thread, but since this thread has already roamed over skier v rider, helmet use, and etiquette when overtaking I thought I would add my 2p worth.
snow conditions
nigelg wrote:
I can think of two.
Neither of which would reduce significantly the incidence of dangerous skiing or boarding, IMO. Seems a draconian measure for something which may have relatively little impact on the problem, penalising the large proportion of people for whom having a beer or a glass of wine at lunch is one of the pleasures of a skiing holiday. Is there data, perhaps from insurance claims, which shows alcohol or drugs is a determining factor in a significant number of collisions?
latest report
Most of the dangerous incidents that I have seen, I would not expect alcohol to be a factor.
Shyte skiing/boarding, yes, most definitely. Shyte both in terms of technical skill and ability, and in terms of consideration of other piste users, FIS code etc.
ski holidays
It's fairly simple (but unlikely to ever happen). Buy a lift pass and agree that you have read and understood the rules (or Ts&Cs if you prefer) and the consequences of breaking them. A bit like going skydiving or hiring a car. Resorts won't do it though - it slows down the sales process, it means people having to carry a form of ID and registering, it looks like anti fun, nobody reads Ts&Cs anyway, you'd need it all in many languages. So, given that nothing will change, the actual answer is to avoid places that get that busy, maybe 'downgrade' to somewhere with a small bed base - especially if you are taking kids who are vulnerable to being skittled by bigger and faster moving pole-tapping cretins.
snow report
My partner was having beginner lessons in Meribel a few years back and deliberately fell over to avoid wiping out a small child. The instructor asked her why and then proceeded to tell her that the child should have got out of the way! If that's the attitude of instructors then what chance do people have of learning the FIS rules?

In the teenagers it's not alcohol it is usually bravado so perhaps making the under 18's ski with a responsible adult would help?
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

Look - I have been in collisions which have been my fault.

'collisions' plural. You have an IQ lower than your DIN setting.

Like I say not proud of them. But I don't think that 2 collisions in 400 days on snow is disgraceful. Particularly as neither was completely my fault, neither were serious - just situations where if I had been a bit more conservative I could have avoided them.
latest report
Quote:

Shouting "on your left" / "on your right" when coming up behind somebody a bit fast

Just to add to the discussion, this is not something I do. I don't think it helps. When I see other people doing it my observation is that the skier ahead responds very unpredictably and can result in them doing exactly the opposite of what the shouter wanted! Of course if I had cocked things up badly, was going to fast and couldn't control myself then I would shout a warning ahead of a collision but short of that I'd just slow down and wait.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
nigelg wrote:
I can think of two.
Neither of which would reduce significantly the incidence of dangerous skiing or boarding, IMO. Seems a draconian measure for something which may have relatively little impact on the problem, penalising the large proportion of people for whom having a beer or a glass of wine at lunch is one of the pleasures of a skiing holiday. Is there data, perhaps from insurance claims, which shows alcohol or drugs is a determining factor in a significant number of collisions?

I completely agree. Of course, banning alcohol would reduce accidents in one sense. It would significantly reduce the number of people wishing to go skiing and thereby make the sloipes less crowded. Then again, half the resorts would probably then go bust so you's end up with crowded slopes again.

I doubt there is much data on any link between skiing and accidents, as I suspect nobody ever gets breathalysed except in the most serious and potentially cuplable accidents.
ski holidays
I clipped the back of my son's skis skiing with him last year. I was inattentive for a second, I wouldn't of clipped someone else as I wouldn't ski that close to a stranger, but I still clipped him. Luckily he as unaffected, I fell like a sack of spuds onto hard piste, which certainly got the blood flowing. It was totally my fault and reminded me about giving myself space to make mistakes...

As to the shouting, tapping poles etc. If someone is coming up on me I don't mind them tapping their poles, so I get clue they are coming and a sense of the direction it doesn't phase me, my wife however who isn't a confident skier is visibly put off by these sorts of actions and may well end up just stopping, which could make the situation much worse.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy