Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
@Stuartb, weekend 4th feb looks 'optimistic' !!

http://www.3bmeteo.com/meteo/madonna+di+campiglio
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Stuartb, as you say there is a mighty battle between the Atlantic trying to get in and the pesky High Pressure zone dominating Central/Eastern Europe. A cheeky Med Low cuts into NW Italy over the next few days, but seems to slip off to the SE on Sunday missing the Dolomites. Early next week, the Atlantic weather passes through Britain, Germany & Scandinavia deflected well to the N of the Alps. Yesterday's forecasts suggested it would bust into the Alps.

Current forecasts suggest that the first snow in NE Italy will be 3/4th Feb, but as the system that will produce it is probably currently lolling around the Caribbean, it's a big ask to know exactly how it will develop in the intervening 8 days.

But at least if you were to struggle to get there on the 4th, you know you're going to have fun when you finally do!! wink snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Every six hours the lines are changing, I'm remaining confident (positive) that the Dolomites will get snow early in Feb, as a I have previously said it usually snows when I go skiing rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Come on snow! Couple of reports on Alpinforum saying stones appearing on a few runs, and patches of ice on a few others eg. round Ciampinoi. Another poster though said Fassa valley and Alta Badia still in good form. One of our group last week said the reservoir for the snow canons up on Seiseralm was looking low. Going out there again soon so have a vested interest!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been 2 weeks now in Alleghe. Been to Falcade, San Pellegrino, Moena, Pozza, Civetta, Cinque Torre, Lagazuoi, San Cassiano, Arabba. Susnhine everyday. Never seen the pistes in such excellent condition. Clearly all the better for the absence of that inconvenient, unpredictable, inconsistent stuff we call natural snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chomski, great to hear! Your experience was the same as mine last week and I'm glad things are just as good. 00z has potential for lots of snow on the 8th but too far out and not widely enough supported yet to put much faith in it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pjd, lots of action on the 8th and further out in FI on the 12Z too, Control run seems to agree, but ensemble offers little support. The Atlantic keeps trying to get in, but just keeps slipping away all the time! Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latemar-Obereggen ski area on Thurs 26th...

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Friday's 18Z had the Atlantic in quicker, had High Pressure pushed out E by end of month, boosted hopes of snow into NE Italy around 3rd/4th & 5th/6th Feb.

Today's 00Z goes similar with Atlantic busting in this week, but with a lot less effect in NE Italy in the next 10 days, the Control run & ensemble average still hint at something by the end of the week and over next weekend, the FI goes mental though! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jellybeans ECM map on the main weather thread indicates perhaps 10-15cm over the next 10 days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergfex's latest forecast offers a dusting (1-5cm) in the Dolomites by Friday morning, a bit more (10-15cm) at altitude for Madonna & the Brenta though. snowHead

http://www.bergfex.com/schneevorhersage/?t=0_144

Lombardy Alps (particularly Madesimo) seem to cop even more on that particular forecast (20-30cm).

It looks quite unpredictable as things keep shifting around, but as long as the High Pressure moves out of the way, there's a good chance of white stuff falling.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@luigi, I see the 06z GFS also has lots of activity from the 3rd; just not much consistency. The control and operational runs take it colder too from mid month. As a light celebration I have ordered a blueberry muffin with my latte coffee and am wondering whether after all I might need winter tyres for my trip up to Kastelruth.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pjd wrote:
@luigi, I see the 06z GFS also has lots of activity from the 3rd; just not much consistency. The control and operational runs take it colder too from mid month. As a light celebration I have ordered a blueberry muffin with my latte coffee and am wondering whether after all I might need winter tyres for my trip up to Kastelruth.

Snow tyres...I doubt if such a thing exists at Milan Linate...and I don't fancy fitting chains after leaving the Brenner motorway!! Shocked

06Z certainly add to the promise. With the High Pressure pushed East to the Black Sea by Wed, there looks like a good chance of something arriving from the Atlantic by next weekend. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi wrote:
Latemar-Obereggen ski area on Thurs 26th...

Thanks for posting that - getting even more excited with all the talk of snow. Still have three weeks before we drive down though :0
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bananamoore wrote:

Thanks for posting that - getting even more excited with all the talk of snow. Still have three weeks before we drive down though :0

More pics of Obereggen/Latemar over on Alpinforum...though I think I picked the prettiest one!

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56947#p5109938

It might be wise to contain any excitement about the mere 'talk' of snow....but once it starts falling, then you can go bananas!! snowHead

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 28-01-17 17:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I'm just excited about going full stop!
latest report
luigi wrote:
Bananamoore wrote:

More pics of Obereggen/Latemar over on Alpinforum...though I think I picked the prettiest one!

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56947#p5109938

It might be wise to contain any excitement about the mere 'talk' of snow....but once it starts falling, then you can go bananas!! snowHead

I see what you did there Madeye-Smiley
snow report

This scenario would bring a smile to my face Very Happy everything remains crossed.
latest report
We're looking to book for our 3rd ski holiday next weekend, waiting for it to snow in dolomites, should we wait or crack on and book elsewhere?
snow conditions
Glenfish wrote:
We're looking to book for our 3rd ski holiday next weekend, waiting for it to snow in dolomites, should we wait or crack on and book elsewhere?

Well, there's plenty to ski on without any new snow falling, depends on whether you need to see everywhere white or not.

All the indications are that there's a change in the air, Matrski's GFS chart reinforces that view, but nothing's certain when it comes to snow forecasting. snowHead
ski holidays
ARPAV are going for 'some snowflakes' on Tues & Wed as a cold front descends from the N, but it looks like crumbs from Austria's table again!

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/en/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Their forecast doesn't extend beyond that timeframe yet.
snow conditions
The 180hr (7.5 days) snow accumulation chart looks good on the just released 28 Jan 18Z GFS.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_18_UTC_05Grad/180_24.gif

(NB. chart will update around midnight Saturday)

FI goes so mental (60cm a day for 6 days solid along with -5C), it looks like a glitch!

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87

(NB. this one will update at 6am Sat)
ski holidays

A little bit more confidence that it might snow.
latest report
Matrski wrote:
A little bit more confidence that it might snow.

Cheers for uploading the screenshot of the 18Z. Certainly confidence is building for a change, maybe a dusting from the N on 31st and some light snow on 2nd & 5th, it doesn't look like as much on the 00Z though.

That crazy FI precip from 8th onwards must be a glitch...though today's 00Z has a slightly less extreme variation, but again very much lacking support.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 29-01-17 9:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Interesting variations on the 180hr (7.5 days) 00Z snow accumulation map, gives 64cm for the Brenta (Madonna) & 33cm for the Cadore (E of Cortina), but leaves just 5-10cm for the Central Dolomites. I know these amounts are all indicative and getting moisture into NE Italy is the key point here, just hoping the Sella Ronda valleys get their fair share too!

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_00_UTC_05Grad/180_24.gif

(NB. image will update to new chart around 6am Monday, I haven't got the hang of posting screenshots, sorry!)
snow conditions
Snow-forecast is showing about 16-18cm for Alleghe on Thursday, with rain in the village (1050m) as freeze-levels rise to 1750-1800m with the mild, moist Atlantic weather, but probably good for snow up at Pian di Pezze (1450m) & above and at the higher resorts around the Dolomites.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Alleghe/6day/mid
latest report
The current map on Wepowder suggests the focus of the coming week's snow (up to 56cm) is on the Lombardy Alps, Madesimo getting hit hardest on Thursday...lesser amounts for Dolomites, but could the focus shift East or spread wider? It's definitely coming into range, just the amounts are variable and freeze levels may become an issue with milder weather.

http://wepowder.com/forecast?region=1
ski holidays
Skied ciampinio, plan gralba today -- snow is just fine. Anybody coming out next week will find plenty to go at (as long as temps stay low....) Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lagazuoi was in fantastic condition today. Early start meant we had cable car all to ourselves and an empty piste. Snow conditions around Corvara holding up very well. Can truly say we had one of our best ski days ever. Sun shone and sitting on the terrace for a long lunch was perfect. No complaints from our party. Strange to see the meadows in early spring mode but still very beautiful.
ski holidays
@albob, @Gufo, cheers for the on-the-ground reports! Very Happy
snow conditions
Change in the weather as the week progresses starting to appear on local mountain forecasts:

ARPAV have 1-5 cm in Arabba tomorrow afternoon/evening as the remains of a N front cross over from Austria, snow limit 800/1000m.

Then more from the SW on Thurs & Fri, no amounts posted yet, but snow limits are expected to be around 1200-1500m.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/en/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
ski holidays
South Tyrol are suggesting more snow closer to the Austrian border tomorrow. Then, at the end of the week, more in the S of the province with snow limit of 1000m.

http://www.provinz.bz.it/weather/south-tyrol.asp
latest report
Excuse my ignorance, I've trawled the net looking for a resort to go to this weekend, I'd like us to go to the Dolomites but wondering just how reliable all the forecasts are, isn't it in their interest to be more positive with snow predictions??
ski holidays
@Glenfish, not really - it is all artificial anyway. If it does snow - great! But the artificial is very good :: skied Colfosco today, looks weird with a good thick piste surrounded by brown grass!

Anybody looking for off-piste is going to be disappointed tho' -- it is non-existent Smile
snow report
Ah, thanks for the reply, we really want snow everywhere and decided on Italy..
snow report
Morning runs were corduroy with lovely crisp snow. We skied around Corvara and Arabba and as long as you keep off the Sella Ronda slopes the pistes are quiet and with the sun shining it's pretty perfect. More cloudy as the day progressed and there is general chat and hope for snowfall by end of week. Meanwhile we enjoy the lovely views and lunch stops which make for a superb experience.
latest report
Glenfish wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, I've trawled the net looking for a resort to go to this weekend, I'd like us to go to the Dolomites but wondering just how reliable all the forecasts are, isn't it in their interest to be more positive with snow predictions??

Which forecasts do you feel are misleading?

Snow forecasting is an imprecise science, but everything seems to be pointing to some fresh snow Friday and over the weekend in the Dolomites, probably not enough for off-piste, but likely enough to make everywhere white and top-up the pistes that are already complete with man-made snow.

Nevertheless, other parts of Italy have better snowcover and more snow forecast currently. Check the webcams, snow reports & unbiased forecasts here...

http://www.bergfex.com/italien/
snow report
Glenfish wrote:

COFFEE! CAKE! GIRRRLZ!

(alas, at my age, in that order Sad )
snow report
There's quite a discrepancy between various forecasts at the moment.

The Bergfex forecast for Arraba has this Saturday/Sunday as bright with just a little snow and maybe a bit more on Monday, http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/

Snowforecast for Arraba is forecasting around 50cm of snow at the mid level over the weekend http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Arabba/6day/mid

IIRC one is GFS and one is ECM. I can't remember which is which.
ski holidays
Bergfex - ECM

Snow-forecast - GFS

(I think)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy