Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Often Do You Ski?

Poster: A snowHead
CH1975 wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
CH1975 wrote:
Currently 1 week in 10 years due to having kids, we have booked again for next year for another week so hopefully it will become a week per year, maybe two if I am brave enough to go on a bash. Other than that we like to have a variety of holidays in the year for us it can't be all skiing.

Wow, I'm surprised you even visit this forum! But sounds like you want to ramp it up in future.

Tell me about it, I did used to ski fair bit but becoming self employed, having children and marrying a teacher have seriously effected my skiing opportunities. I am going to ski more often, I purchased a VW California last year and am hoping to do some ski camping over the next few winters.

One of the new Californias? T6, possibly? Looked at one of the new models recently - very impressive (though not suitable for us..."us" being 2 adults and 2 Boxers!!).

Welcome to snowHeads, BTW, CH1975 snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Cacciatore Thanks, it was a pre registered T5.1 SE (you'd now call it an Ocean) with 35 miles on the clock which I got a very good deal on last autumn. It's great, we use with 2 adults and 2 children no problems with space. Have a look at the vwcaliforniaclub.com forum there a loads of people who have dogs and even dogs and kids and they seem to get on just fine. We'll be driving to France this summer and hopefully driving to the Alps in the winter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't find the post but I recall Hoppo in the early days of snowHeads saying: "When I discovered snowHeads, skiing was a once-a-year luxury but immediately realised that twice was the minimum. This year, I'm feeling a little hard done by that I'm only getting three weeks in."
...or something along those lines.

I recall @queen bodecia, on a topic like this, exclaiming that one week a year was all she would/could ever ski - I'm glad things are looking up now Wink

One of the nicest things about snowHeads is how the community have helped each other to find innumerable short-cuts, advantages and opportunities to break through that '6 days per season' limit and make skiing generally a more regular occurrence snowHead

Me, I'm managing to ski fairly often these days Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@admin, that sounds a bit like me, too. Up until recently, I was a one week a year skier, though I always drew the line when my ski buddies declared that they "weren't going to bother this year" Shocked

19 days this year, thanks to the bargainous double in Italy, and I'm already plotting for that gap in March next year – 10 weeks between the BB and EoSB is just too long Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

10 weeks between the BB and EoSB is just too long Toofy Grin

I'm inclined to agree - hence the GnarBuG and the SOPiB Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@admin, I like the idea of GnarBuN, as I'm not sure I'm quite gnarly enough for the off-piste bash yet wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Themasterpiece wrote:
Very Happy . Downside is 56% tax Mad

and living in Sweden.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CH1975 wrote:
@Cacciatore Thanks, it was a pre registered T5.1 SE (you'd now call it an Ocean) with 35 miles on the clock which I got a very good deal on last autumn. It's great, we use with 2 adults and 2 children no problems with space. Have a look at the vwcaliforniaclub.com forum there a loads of people who have dogs and even dogs and kids and they seem to get on just fine. We'll be driving to France this summer and hopefully driving to the Alps in the winter.

We elected for a T5 LWB conversion by Leisuredrive (so no rock n roll bed with "kitchen" and wc towards the back)....the night test run (i.e. with hounds) went well enough until the 5am clamber on to the beds and rude awakening Laughing Laughing

Good luck with the trip in the summer (and winter, of course snowHead )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
@admin, I like the idea of GnarBuN, as I'm not sure I'm quite gnarly enough for the off-piste bash yet wink
Durrr... you're happy with anything a Black Run throws at you so there's no issue.
Not everyone on the SOPiB is super-gnarly, well, actually they are but they're not necessarily super-competent with it yet Confused
The whole point of doing a dedicated off-piste bash is to give a wide enough variety of groups that is suits anysnowHead who wants to ski off piste. As such, they can expect to do so most of the week.
This year there were 3 high mountain guides and 3 instructors. It's fair to say that most participants had tried to ski off piste before but the baseline is set more by attitude than ability. The intro group, for example, would spend a little time acquiring or refining a technique on piste then head off into the trees to try it 'for real'. While at the other end of the scale: epic EPIC gnar-gnar poW! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin wrote:
the baseline is set more by attitude than ability

Shocked Although I did get myself moved from the "never ever" group to the gnarly group of the off-piste clinic before we'd left the knife and fork, merely by not raising my hand when the selection criteria of "who's never done it before?" and "who has but is nervous?" were uttered. Is that what you mean? Claude had already asked me when I'd last been off piste, and I'd told him "this morning", so I couldn't very well lie Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cacciatore wrote:
CH1975 wrote:

We elected for a T5 LWB conversion by Leisuredrive (so no rock n roll bed with "kitchen" and wc towards the back)....the night test run (i.e. with hounds) went well enough until the 5am clamber on to the beds and rude awakening Laughing Laughing

Sounds great, maybe more blackout required to keeps the dogs asleep, it works for my kids. I wave at all VW campers so if you see someone in a grey Cali waving at you it might be me. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet wrote:
admin wrote:
the baseline is set more by attitude than ability

Shocked Although I did get myself moved from the "never ever" group to the gnarly group of the off-piste clinic before we'd left the knife and fork, merely by not raising my hand when the selection criteria of "who's never done it before?" and "who has but is nervous?" were uttered. Is that what you mean? Claude had already asked me when I'd last been off piste, and I'd told him "this morning", so I couldn't very well lie Toofy Grin
See what I mean? Perfectly gnarly enough for the SOPiB.
That said, the GnarBuG offers scope to be pretty gnarly too, but it's also rather gnice Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CH1975 wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
CH1975 wrote:

Sounds great, maybe more blackout required to keeps the dogs asleep, it works for my kids. I wave at all VW campers so if you see someone in a grey Cali waving at you it might be me. Enjoy.

Hahaha - its not a light thing, just two dogs that think they're the lap variety...Laughing

I'll keep a look out but, unless you detour via Austria, it may be an in vain search wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow dome once a month, usually for 4 hours at a time then skiing once a season if I get the chance
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cacciatore wrote:
CH1975 wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
CH1975 wrote:

Hahaha - its not a light thing, just two dogs that think they're the lap variety...Laughing

I'll keep a look out but, unless you detour via Austria, it may be an in vain search wink

You never know, now we have the Cali we are going to be all over the place Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
CH1975 wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
CH1975 wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
CH1975 wrote:

You never know, now we have the Cali we are going to be all over the place Laughing Laughing

In that case, do have a quick look here - just posted Very Happy
snow conditions
Once every weekend and work depending full or half day during week. Also 7 day holiday with friends from back home.
latest report
Managed 7 weeks this year. 3-4 is normal.
ski holidays
Nickski wrote:
Managed 7 weeks this year. 3-4 WAS normal.

FIFY Cool Life will never be the same.
snow conditions
I managed 2 weeks for the last 2 years, and have booked & paid for 2 weeks next year (1 family week, 1 me and eldest daughter). As I get older, this doesn't feel adequate... Might try to squeeze in a long weekend too...
I quite like making a weekend out of travelling to Hemel; we stay overnight in the Travelodge (quite like it, although they tend to have a bit of a public toilet smell pervading them) eat at the Toby Carvery (they should have these on the slopes - it's the only time we ever eat at them, but again, I like them and now associate them with skiing) shop at snow and rock and buy currency at BestRate FX.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy