Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Often Do You Ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a once a year guy (much like my love life wink ). I'm aiming to squeeze in a few extra days of summer skiing, but that's about it. Just doesn't seem enough, but what ya gonna do Crying or Very sad

How often do you ski and if it's more than once a year, how do you do manage it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@faithsdaddy, you are going to get some big answers.... Me 4.5 weeks. I start with opening week in Val d'isere then have a long weekend before Christmas at my place in Flachau . then I have one week in January in Flachau one week in march somewhere and Easter week back in Flachau. I work between Christmas and new year and buy leave and only take one week in the summer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
faithsdaddy wrote:
if it's more than once a year, how do you do manage it?

What needs to be "managed"? Time? Funds? Different people have different limitations. (and some people have fewer or none)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@faithsdaddy, until about the time snowHeads came along we were also once a year skiers, although I think we were already starting to think about 2 weeks a year by then. One would be a last minute Easter trip or short break. We'd book the time off work, then go wherever we could get flights and decent snow. We now do about 6 weeks skiing and 2 weeks summer. Helped along greatly by having our own place, and flexible employers. Helps that both of us want the same type of holiday too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do 30 to 40 days in the southern winter season and two weeks in the northern winter every other season. As I live in a ski resort I feel that I'm not getting enough but with work, bad weather and family commitments I guess its OK.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Normally 10 days a year, one week in France and a few days in Scotland when the stars all alone - except for this year. 103 days skiing this season!

Hopefully be able to pull off 2 weeks next year. Heart is breaking at the thought of returning to real life next week...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1 week pre-Christmas, 5 weeks in Feb-March.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess it is about priorities. We normally ski about 7 or 8 weeks a year, although exceptional circumstances apply this year and we are currently between weeks 9 and 10. I have a normal 9-5 job, plus a bit of flexi-time. I'm never at home when I have leave. However, Mrs SL also has a 9-5, but importantly works a permanent 10 month contract allowing her 2 months to ski, as well as normal holidays, which means she can get a bit of sun on her back and manages any domestic stuff e.g. trades folk needed for domestic emergencies etc. Also no kids. Works for us.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With a normal job and child in school I am happy we managed about 30 ski days this year. A week at Christmas, week at half term, week at Easter. And three long weekends. Given my wife doesn't ski, I'm pretty lucky.

It helps that we live in Sweden. Long weekends are small places a drive from Stockholm, otherwise we fly to Åre etc. One week in the Alps.

The generous Swedish parents leave means I can take some extra days off, so I've had 40 days vacation a year Very Happy . Downside is 56% tax Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When we lived in London we topped out at 56 days (albeit with only something like 2 weeks leave).

Careful planning, early flight booking and a family apartment in the alps (although we usually went elsewhere).

A realisation that we were commuting weekly to London to work led to a move to Geneva amd we usually average 50-60 days.

This year has been a little disappointing on weather at the weekends so I haven't counted.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
24 days this year. Cut slightly short by injury and a few days lost to bad weather. I have a normal 9-5 and so does my OH. Compulsory leave at Xmas means we always ski over Xmas usually til the first day back in Jan usually 12 days to 14 days, then another fortnight and a bit Feb/Mar time. We only do long weekends camping with the dog over summer so only odd days of leave here and there. We have a family place out in Switzerland which makes the finances a little easier too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
When we lived in London we topped out at 56 days (albeit with only something like 2 weeks leave).

Careful planning, early flight booking and a family apartment in the alps (although we usually went elsewhere).

A realisation that we were commuting weekly to London to work led to a move to Geneva amd we usually average 50-60 days.

This year has been a little disappointing on weather at the weekends so I haven't counted.

Just out of curiosity- what's it like living there? I quite fancy the idea of moving to the mountains, either France or Austria and I wondered what life out there would actually be like.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@faithsdaddy, ...14 days at Christmas; 7 days feb half term; 4 days boys' weekend; between 14 and 4 days at Easter - 2 weeks in the mountains climbing etc in the summer. So...around 6 weeks in total. We have done summer skiing but for us its' a big schlep to Zermatt, via Tasch - a bit expensive and a tad boring, battling with the teams for a tow to do four limited runs. I run a big research unit and so am very tied to work; I have 28 days' vacation, plus toil. I'm tied to school holidays and this restricts things quite a bit - I would do more if this was not the case but I would lose the pleasure of skiing with my kids. Skiing is a bit tricky for us in the Summer; climbing is more fun in the summer....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@faithsdaddy, very civilised. Have to get used to some things (little is open on Sundays) but you get used to and start to enjoy that.

Everything work, everything is clean, everyone lives by the golden rule, ... Would not want to go back.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Twice a year. Normally adds up to around 100 days Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@jbob,
You are such a show off!

I am at 61 ski days this year. About 15 fewer than anticipated due to 2 old bloke injuries. 80 ski days last year, but not as stylish as now. Home in the UK at the moment for a football watching holiday. Back to Chamonix on Monday hopefully for 6 ski days of mostly fresh tracks.

Following the closure of the Grands Montets on Sunday 1st May, it's just variations on the Valley Blanche until we are fed up or the slots get too big.

This is all managed due to my early retirement. I cannot recommend it too highly.
snow report
HammondR,
Sounds great. A slight digression but, out of interest, what footy are you watching?
latest report
Faithsdaddy-As indicated by the varied answers that have gone before, there are many answers to your question. It obviously depends on the personal circumstances of the individual/family. As someone who comes from fairly humble beginnings I never strapped on ski's until I was 34 almost 35. I worked in a factory was married with 2 kids. That 1st holiday was me & the kids as the wife didn't want to ski despite me trying to get us all to go for some years. We were hooked. My 1st season was 3 weeks. The first trip 8th Dec week. Then xmas and Easter. The next 20 years it was usually 2 and occasionally 3 weeks. Always xmas & Easter to take advantage of Bank holidays. Then another if I could afford it. 11 years ago after much hard work I managed to "retire" early at 54. I "fell" into working winter seasons for ski TO's so was able to ski 4-6 days a week for 4-5 months. Now that's a lot of skiing. This is the first season I haven't worked for 11 and have had 5 ski trips. Biggest impediment to more is finance. Now "retired", funds are not inexhaustible so I have to be somewhat careful. Having said that I have had a long W/E in Stubai. Xmas in La Plagne. A week mid Jan in Italy. 10 Days in japan. A week in Les Sybelles at Easter. Was looking at maybe Hintertux for a week at the end of May but very dependent on the weather.
ski holidays
@faithsdaddy, not enough!!!!!!!!!

a bit like @Old Man Of Lech, I did not start until I was 25, then had 2-3 weeks a year until I was 30, did 3 seasons, then a week away each season until 40. then kids (bloody children Confused Confused Confused Shocked Shocked Shocked ), did not go away until this season for my 50th with the family, and another short trip in march.

I suppose if you average it out with my seasons I have not done bad.

But unless I can find a reason to uproot the family and find a lifestyle/career that can pay our way in the mountains, it will be down to about 2 trips a year, depending on finances.
chances of me retiring before global warming knackers up the mountains is non existent Skullie Skullie.

though there is always a chance my lottery numbers come in!!!!
snow report
I used to ski almost every day. I'd go after work to the local hill just down the road during the week, then at the weekends travel further afield to bigger ski areas. Would usually get around 100 days a year, for the past 5 years. We were lucky to be living in a place with lots of snowfall and loads of ski hills. (Japan)

This year is the first year in about 30 years when I haven't skied a single day.
ski holidays
40 to 60 days a season on average. Living in the 3 valleys helps with that.
latest report
I don't count but I think more than 200 days, I do back to back seasons teaching in Japan/Chile, then normally some trips/training in the shoulder seasons.
snow conditions
I get about 25-30 days on snow per season at the moment, aiming for 40 next season if we can make it work around everyday life.
ski holidays
3 - 4 weeks. It's more than enough. Skiing is a recreational hobby rather than an obsession for me.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister,
Why the Mighty Bantams of course! Coventry on Tuesday evening felt a long way home after a 1-0 defeat, but it was well worthwhile after putting 4 past Walsall yesterday. Always wear my claret and amber scarf skiing in cold weather. A nice American lady asked me if it was a Gryffindor scarf!
ski holidays
HammondR -Think that's in the wrong section!
latest report
60 to 80 days a season. Every season. snowHead
latest report
@MagSeven,
Quote:

This year is the first year in about 30 years when I haven't skied a single day.
But you are MORE than making up for that. (I do counsel those who have not already done so, to click on the second link in @MagSeven's signature. The most amazing read. Very Happy )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@MagSeven,
Quote:

But you are MORE than making up for that. (I do counsel those who have not already done so, to click on the second link in @MagSeven's signature. The most amazing read. Very Happy )

I call that perfect example of "priorities"! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
The last couple of years i've done around 5 weeks per winter, living in London.

I'd probably do more during a long season with lots of good powder.
snow report
I do two weeks, usally find its enough for me, do a few hours at the chill factor from September to get my eye in so to speak, this year i could have done another week, but i ran out of time, as my summer holidays start at easter.... Plus im short of people to go with😩
ski holidays
For 8 of the past 10 winters it's been around 100 days on Hokkaido, with the odd day in the Brecon Beacons pre- and post-Hokkaido if I'm lucky.

Instructing pays for that skiing.

This season my girlfriend Nerys couldn't make it out to Japan, so I came home early and skied with her and skied solo in Europe.

37 days on Hokkaido, Japan
8 days at Gudauri, Georgia
7 days at Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis, Tirol, Austria
5 days in the Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales
4 days at San Martino Di Castrozza, Trentino Dolomites, Italy
1 day at Corvara, Alta Badia, Italy
1 day at Maromolada, Dolomites, Italy
1 day at Trafoi, South Tyrol, Italy
1 day at Pejo 3000, Val Di Sole, Italy
1 day at Solda, South Tyrol, Italy

So less days this season but far more variety.

Loved it actually and reignited my interest in European skiing.

The instructing I did on Hokkaido paid for the European skiing.
snow report
One week a year when I was a teenager, rising to 2, 3 then 4 weeks through my 20s and 30s. Bought a place in France which meant adding some long weekends to that total. Then discovered I like teaching as much as, and oftentimes more than I like skiing, so made a bit of a career change. Now in a typical winter I spend about 14 weeks in the mountains, plus skiing indoors. All told I squeeze my feet in to ski boots about 150 days a year. When I get to the end of April I'm very happy that winter is over.
ski holidays
Occasionally 1 week per year; usually one long weekend per year. I'd like to do 2 weeks or more per year but time, money and other commitments dictate. There's no shame in being an occasional skier. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Not working is the key, I took early retirement a couple of years ago. Today was my 92nd (I think) day this season Smile
latest report
18 days this year and that was a good one.

The season has been 2 weeks with family in Chamonix in January, boys long weekend in the Pyrenees start of March and a weekend in Chamonix with other half in April.

Usually do around 12 to 15 days for the last 10 years.
snow report
Started skiing last year, got 6 days in the mountain. This year I got 18 days. At current rate of growth I'm happily anticipating 54 days next year and a full season in 2017-18 Laughing Unfortunately neither the wife nor the boss are likely to be supportive of that, so I'll probably have to be content to stick at 3 weeks.
ski holidays
I was always one week per year, now on a good year I manage two. I don't have enough time off work for any more sadly.
snow report
Every season
snow report
Usually three weeks, but only two this year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy