Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brexit: the future for uk chalet companies.

Poster: A snowHead
@Nadenoodlee, Yes, I chuckled as well ...... seems unfair. Boris could still declare himself as an OUT and presumably assume the leadership which would make it a 'knives-out' popularity contest.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@snoozeboy, @Pruman, @Minion1980, What's with this strong dislike of the catered chalet model?

I have only done them 3 times so not a wealth of experience but here goes:

Whilst I have never met any knobs (there were a group of middle aged men from Jersey who were quite annoying once) I just don't like the really cheap (lets face it the chalet hosts are given a budget and anything they can save from this is for them) food cooked by young, not particular good chefs (who probably never had/have ambitions to cook nice food) and then having to have dinner with random people every night who could be annoying/grating.

I would much prefer a decent hotel or a self catered apartment it's just too much risk to stay in a chalet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Minion1980, you've been going to the wrong places then...or not paying enough
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Minion1980, I stayed in some quite low budget chalets, and one rather nice one (very last minute booking, no kids) and the food was always good value for money and perfectly edible. In the rather nice one (Le Ski) it was splendid, and far better than anything I'd have knocked up myself in an apartment.

I dislike hotels and would always prefer to have my own apartment and the choice to cook or eat out, but have no quarrel with the chalet formula. If money was no object I'd rent one of the really classy chalets, like my son has cooked in - he rings up the clients the week before to find out what kind of food they like and what kind of budget they've got. In that kind of chalet, where you rent the whole place, you pay (a lot of money) for the cook, then pay for the food at cost. The last one he cooked in, in Courchevel 1850, also had a kind of horizon pool overlooking the slopes, a cinema and a fairly lavishly equipped gym. He was cooking for a three generation Russian family who spoke practically no English.

Chalet hotels, for me, incorporate the worst of both worlds!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Minion1980, If you work for a big TO they don't give you a budget, you have a set menu and have to either collect the food you need from a central store, or re-order it, so no skimming off possible. If you work for a smaller company where there is budgetting a shopping involved, they won't be 18/19 year olds.
Technically I think the big TO's do pay more, but then they take it back as 'Provision of service', ie board and lodging, ski pass, insurance and ski hire, so you are left with the pocket money you'd have left after working in the uk and paying for all that sort of stuff out of your wages...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Agenterre wrote:
Yep -- undoubtedly finished. Especially after the French, Italians & Austrians etc introduce a non-EC Holiday Tax making all alpine and beach holidays prohibitively expensive for Brits. Never mind, Aviemore & Skegness will be happy ( they probably wouldn't be!).

Whatever the possible merits of voting OUT, the potential downside exists and it will be impossible for any OUT campaigner to quantify as they will get zero support from the EC in trying to get commitment to anything in relation to leaving trade and movement laws Britain unchanged if we left !

Voting OUT is like turkeys voting for Xmas -- you're not sure what will happen but you know it wont be good. So unfortunately we're going to give our pathetic British politicians undeserved airtime for something which is a foregone conclusion if only due to the Fear factor. More money wasted when they should be addressing real issues. Almost makes you want to hear more from Donald Trump.

I will be voting to stay in the EU, but when people start suggesting such utter drivel as you have with the 'non-EU holiday tax' it just plays into the hands of people who want to leave. Why on earth would the EU introduce a tax like this? It would hurt them infinitely more than it hurts us. It just makes no sense. People went on holiday and did trade with Europe long before the EU was even thought of.

You say that 'you're not sure what will happen but you know it won't be good'. In case you hadn't noticed roughly half the British population don't think it's very good at the moment. It's entirely feasible that exiting the EU would be very good economically for Britain. Personally, I think that economically we are better off in, but to promote scare stories without any foundation is unhelpful to all concerned.

Yes total drivel to make a point. Its the 'unknown' that makes it a difficult step. There is no argument based upon FACT that the OUT campaign can use. Everything they say will be drivel as you put it. ONLY because they have to assume scenarios.

You have made the cardinal sin. ASSUMING how the EC will behave towards a UK who has voted out. We can not know that.

Actually if you were old enough to remember travel to Europe, passport requirements , the £50 currency limit , trade tariffs etc your drivel about pre-EU times is wrong and a poor analogy.

Frankly we don't know what will happen if we stay in. European change, as do border and immigration regulations. European directives trnaspire, too. Equally, we don't know what will happen if we go out. All we can do is decide if we wish to be Europeans (in the sense of being at one with Continental Europe) or wishing to be an independent island nation, and letting the consequences take care of themselves. Either decision is, IMV, valid. It's a matter of personal instinct.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@achilles, Yes, hopefully everything continually improves but we know the framework and rules of staying IN we don't for moving OUT. If I were campaigning for OUT, I would use soft values e.g. instinct, pride, self-determination as every argument based upon analysis does revolve around ' We don't know'. The bookies have it right ... it wont happen.

To vote OUT is to reject most political advice . It would be interesting if that happened as surely history would never ( Cromwell times perhaps?) have had such a major rejection of 'parliament ' / 'political advice' by the British people.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I was worried about the Go vote but then I found out Gove was leading it and I'm not so worried anymore.

Laughing Right.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Before this veers completely off topic the other reason I don't particularly like Chalets is the one's I have stayed in have all been populated by Brits. When I go abroad I like to feel like I am in someone else's country not surround myself with other Brits it just feels inauthentic. I know it is all down to personal preference. I understand why lots of people like them though, for their intimacy etc...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A huge amount of these chalet holidays are arranged by a tiny Hannover-based German outfit called Touristik Union International, or TUI to thee and me, AKA Crystal and a host of other ski brand names. I'm sure the highly profitable chalet concept will continue come what may.

I think "In" will win hands down anyway and so does Call Me Dave, he got a fright in Scotland and won't be complacent on this one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Minion1980 wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@snoozeboy, @Pruman, @Minion1980, What's with this strong dislike of the catered chalet model?

None, I've been misquoted here. I think they're nice. I've never been on one but used to work for a company well-known for theirs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Agenterre, Actually if you were old enough to remember travel to Europe, passport requirements , the £50 currency limit , trade tariffs etc your drivel about pre-EU times is wrong and a poor analogy.

Sorry, im not with you. Back in those days you needed a passport, like we do now. Foreign exchange limits were very brief and absolutely nothing to do with the EU/EEC or indeed any other country. They were a UK measure to solve a UK problem. Trade tariffs? Well, I can't remember, but I'd dare say there wer tariffs. So if we exited the EU we would be in the same situation as many other countries who trade with the EU. That in itself would hardly be a disaster.

You say we make assumptions about what would happen, but you also seem to make some assumptions about what life would be like if we stay in. Many people who want out do so because of what they fear the EU is becoming, not what it is now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

we would be in the same situation as many other countries who trade with the EU. That in itself would hardly be a disaster.

New Zealand mightn't agree with you. Nor lots of other countries who lost Commonwealth preferences when we went into the EEC.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Chalet hotels, for me, incorporate the worst of both worlds!

Well having just had my last evening meal in a 'chalet hotel' I would disagree, food has been fantastic, service almost without flaw. Our room(s) have almost as much sq'm as our house and is furnished to a high standard, 3 wc's, 2 bathrooms with seperate double showers and a separate lounge area.

We have wanted for nothing (including english bacon and sausages at breakfast)

Its half term, only had one serious (10 minute) lift queue all week.

But of course such service and quality comes at a price especially at half term.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

we would be in the same situation as many other countries who trade with the EU. That in itself would hardly be a disaster.

New Zealand mightn't agree with you. Nor lots of other countries who lost Commonwealth preferences when we went into the EEC.

Well as a kiwi I must admit I was concerned. And of course I am long ex-pat, but New Zealand seems to have been doing OK, though economic links with Australia have probably helped.
latest report
Quote:

New Zealand seems to have been doing OK

well..... NZ has known "austerity" far worse than anything seen in many European countries - though that was a fair time ago now, they've had to adapt. They had to make a lot of tough changes.
latest report
snoozeboy wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

None, I've been misquoted here. I think they're nice. I've never been on one but used to work for a company well-known for theirs.
We've both been misquoted. Your name was included in my original reply in a different context and Minion seems to have cut out the relevant passage lumping you in with Pruman and himself. Just an error I suspect.
latest report
I think there is a fair degree of difference in people's idea of a chalet holiday. I've done about 10-15 over the years and in every case but one we rented the whole chalet. The only exception was when I won a free skiing holiday for two in a raffle. I rather assumed that in the vast majority of cases most people put together their own group to fill the chalet rather than buy a couple of places in a 12 person chalet. I'm not sure I'd relish living in such close proximity to complete strangers for a week. It would probably be great, but then again.......
snow report
Minion1980 wrote:
Before this veers completely off topic the other reason I don't particularly like Chalets is the one's I have stayed in have all been populated by Brits. When I go abroad I like to feel like I am in someone else's country not surround myself with other Brits it just feels inauthentic. I know it is all down to personal preference. I understand why lots of people like them though, for their intimacy etc...

possibly because I work alone, when I go on holiday, I want it to be a social event, I've stayed in UCPA full of Swedish that spoke very good English but the subtle British humour and banter was absent. I've just got back from the birthday bash and the social side of ghe holiday was fantastic, whilst the choice of food in the hotel was good , the quality was not as good as the cheapest silverski chaet that I have stayed in..
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Yip : It is a very valid point that if we exit the EU then the traditional chalet holiday as we know it is likely finished.
Indeed most UK chalet operators have already pulled out of Switzerland since the swiss changed their local working laws (banning UK contracts to be used for employees in CH).

Of course you can argue that Chalet firms having to pay a higher wage is a good thing.
However that simply puts the cost of holidays up as well and makes the whole model uneconomic.

FWIW : I worked as a "chalet slave" in my younger years. It is great way for young kids to do a season - so long as you expect to get paid in ski time.
No one does a chalet season to make money. As a 20 year old kid washing dishes in Val D'Isere (2001/2) I doubt that I would have found an easier or more economically way to ski so much. Had a great time.

Winter slave labor is just perpetuating Britain's reputation and culture as a low-quality, low-value country.
ski holidays
I don't think anyone gives a fig @Whitegold,
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, I know what he means. Too often in the UK its a race to the bottom. People want cheap and they sure do get it.
latest report
"there's half a chance the swivel eyed zenophopes might get there way."

Maybe voting out will give the country a chance to improve literacy.

It'll mean cheaper holidays too as the euro will dive without our economy propping it up.

It amazes me that some people still think the accusation of xenophobic or racist will scare people into doing/saying/thinking/scaring others around to the leftie agenda. For most independent thinking individuals it'll reinforce their own individuality, be that what it may.

As an out voter, "xenophobia" is irrelevant. It's all about economy, spending my taxes in my own country on people that need help. The amount of money given to that federalist dictatorship is a complete waste of our taxes, would you happily pay a middle man more money for something you can get cheaper from the source. We'll be able to trade with the rest of the world without paying the EU for the privilege of doing so and the the EU will be begging for our trade after 6 months. They need our money.

The facts are that some people are terrified of change, easier to have more of the same even if it's bad for you!

Sorry for the rant, but the OP wound me up and I can't take phonetics seriously. Putting my new helmet on.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, I know what he means. Too often in the UK its a race to the bottom. People want cheap and they sure do get it.

I couldn't agree more.
latest report
@ansta1, What company was that? Sounds very nice. English bacon & sausages!
latest report
Boris just changed the betting. Maybe he (a skier) read this thread and thought chalet hols really do deserve to die.
latest report
Agenterre wrote:

Actually if you were old enough to remember travel to Europe, passport requirements , the £50 currency limit , trade tariffs etc your drivel about pre-EU times is wrong and a poor analogy.

I am sure you will recall that the "£50 currency limit" was introduced by UK under the UK exchange control act 1947 to control outflows because the UK economy was fked after 2 world wars), other countries had similar arrangements, so this is not really a valid argument about the "bad old days" pre Singel Market and of course, we still have to have
passports which are still required within the EU (as an identity card even within schengen) free movement still requires travellers to be identified if the authorities deem it necessary

and trade tariffs still exist between "trading blocs".....

basing the in case on trade is a bit risky...bigger issues like sovereignty, human rights Law, social benefits,Taxation defence etc are much more difficult, with an EU parliament with MEPs from all regions (an EU construct) all with their own agendas, people here do feel remote from descisions that affect them directly

The UK was trading quite well with Europe before the EU was created and we joined, people went on holidays "abroad", some even worked abroad pre single market, the paperwork might have been a bit more complex but it worked OK. The real issue is that the UK saw the single market as exactly that, and not the first step in creating the united states of europe. Some would say those of us who voted for the SM were conned ( Edward Heath!) at the time, looking at the level of debate for the next referendum, nothing has changed!
Cameron has his work cut out to deal with timing of the referendum, where the EU parliament will vote on the measure he fought for, and decide whether he gets even the poor deal he thought he had, After the referendum date! So he s going to be asking him to trust.....european politicians, who make our homegrown bunch look like saints!!

fetch the popcorn
Shocked Shocked
snow report
snowornever wrote:

The UK was trading quite well with Europe before the EU was created and we joined, people went on holidays "abroad", some even worked abroad pre single market, the paperwork might have been a bit more complex but it worked OK.

My maternal grand parents lived in Franco's spain. Certainly no problem for them and not for the millions of Brits who discovered the joy of summer holidays with sun on the Costa del Sol in the 60s.

However I think the worry is the EUSSR would want to punish any country that left. Imagine if any leaving country ended up doing better outside the EU !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peter w wrote:
@ansta1, What company was that? Sounds very nice. English bacon & sausages!

Inghams/ski total/esprit.

As well as the usual fruit, cereals, bread, hams cheese, croissants, pain au, muffins.

You could also have boiled, fried, poached, scrambled eggs on request. Bacon, sausages, fried mushrooms, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, proper black pudding all available and topped up regularly.

Needed to crank the bindings up on day 3 just because of the weight increase.

Oh and unlimited tea/coffee from 7-midnight.

Afternoon tea was on great every day.

Fresh soup
At least 2 cakes
Sandwiches (no crusts)
Biscuits (including some the best shortbread i and several other people have tasted).

Oh and the dinner.

Canapes and Prosseco - very good.
Amuse bouche - different every day and always interesting and lovely
Starter, main dessert - all of high quality restaurant standard and with the exception of one vegetarian tagine all just fantastic every time.

Cheese board - a little light on content but who had space!!!
Coffee/tea and freshly made chocolates (very good)
snow report
My experience of chalet afternoon tea was of the crumbs left by the lightweight skiers who had finished skiing early.
ski holidays
@achilles, Laughing

Sitting around in thermals drinking loads of tea was one of my favourite things about staying in a chalet.
ski holidays
Forgot unlimited wine, good quality and choice of 2 white, 2 red, 2 rose.
snow report
I do not really wish to participate in the "my chalet holiday is better than yours" banter, so harping back towards the thread title, I would suggest there are many UK chalets in France who are already on the French system. These tend to be ones where the owners ( Brit ex-pats ) live in France all year, and run the chalets themselves.
Uk chalet companies will quickly adapt new business models, such as branded-agent, aggregator, franchise, owner sponsor etc..
should they really be forced to start playing on a level-playing field.
From a customer perspective, the product would be largely unchanged, the main perceivable difference would most likely be that the hosts would appear more engaged, and invested in the success of the venture. ( which might not be a bad thing )
All the time there is a market and demand for this type of product, enterprising travel professionals will find a way to deliver this service in-line with the ( as yet un known ) legislation, and in line with peoples budgets.
latest report
@WindOfChange, indeed. Back on topic, i guess the simple answer is adapt to with the rules if they change and see how the business model stacks up.

Could be interesting for the end providers of accomodation (as in locals) if the UK to's start to wind back operations due to costs. Maybe the price of diy or even sales will come down???

Who knows?
snow conditions
Of all the things to worry about with an impending Brexit, I think chalet holidays are the least of our worries. How many of us will be able to afford to go skiing at all if we lose our jobs and the pound collapses?
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Of all the things to worry about with an impending Brexit, I think chalet holidays are the least of our worries. How many of us will be able to afford to go skiing at all if we lose our jobs and the pound collapses?

Actually is Trump more worrying than Brexit rolling eyes

At least you now have two relatively sane intellectuals leading the debate for either side.........
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
Boris just changed the betting. Maybe he (a skier) read this thread and thought chalet hols really do deserve to die.

The BBC were doing a good job this afternoon of talking up the benefits of BoGo but the Bookies still seem to be sticking with 2/5 stay and 2/1 leave.
latest report
Not just Brexit but we may end up with Bojo as PM as a result!
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Not just Brexit but we may end up with Bojo as PM as a result!

If the vote is to stay, then by nailing his colours (opportunistically) to the Brexit camp then BoJo can forget succeeding Cameron for quite a while.
latest report
If someone was genuinely "conflicted" about a decision and aware of the arguments both ways, why would he then fling himself into a partisan campaign? Doesn't add up. Definitely opportunistic.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy