Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - compulsory from next season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poll:

1 How many helmet thread were started by people who believe EVERYONE must wear one?

2 How many helmet thread were started by people who believe it's useless?

3 How many helmet thread were started by people who don't care?

Everyone is free to draw his own conclusion on those numbers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

if helmets become compulsory

@tangowaggon, they won't. Buy them boots.

I'm trying to find the quote from an eminent Swiss surgeon who said something like never mind helmets, if you want to massively reduce serious/life-changing injuries, just abolish the terrain parks and half pipes because that's where he saw all the serious injuries emanating from. We're concentrating on heads here but spinal injuries, especially broken necks, are all too common, they destroy lives, yet they are rarely discussed because the head protection lobby is so strong; it's the cure-all, go-to, de facto safety item. Almost nobody would go into a half pipe without a helmet yet it'll make naff all difference if its a hard landing on the neck, might even make things worse.

Questions:
When was the last time anyone (instructor or other resort personnel) made sure you knew the FIS Rules?
When was the last time you saw a reckless skier/boarder have their ticket pulled?

Rather than talk compulsion, a small but concerted effort from resorts and the industry in general, could really attack the collision rate. Everything else is then pilot error and a few lessons might help there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forget the safety aspect for a minute, there are other good reasons to wear a helmet. It keeps your head warm, holds the gopro in position and most importantly covers my bald patch so I don't get sunburnt there !!!

I have never worn a ski helmet, but now wear a bike helmet (to encourage my kids), always wear a paragliding helmet and used to wear one for parachuting. There is no helmet invented that would save me if both chutes fail.... BUT, this year I have bought my first helmet to take to Whistler in two weeks time. I think the growing bald patch has clinched it for me.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
. . .just completed my first ever helmeted week skiing . . .didn't fall / crash once but did get clonked several times on the chairlift by overzealous frenchmen pulling the bar down prematurely . . .so on this basis you could say I'm a convert . . .still prefer a beanie but can now wear one underneath anyway so I remain psychologically unscarred . . .K2 Route - good purchase . . .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have just completed my first ski holiday for 27 years and wore a helmet for the first time. This was to prevent minor injuries such as bashing my head on the chair lift and other tumbles.

I do not think they should be compulsory for adults who should be able to make their own minds up.

I do not wear a helmet going to the pub because in more than 50 years I have not had a fall while walking to/from the pub while I have fallen many times while skiing so to me my behaviour seems rational
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Belch wrote:
. . .just completed my first ever helmeted week skiing . . .didn't fall / crash once but did get clonked several times on the chairlift by overzealous frenchmen pulling the bar down prematurely . . .so on this basis you could say I'm a convert . . .still prefer a beanie but can now wear one underneath anyway so I remain psychologically unscarred . . .K2 Route - good purchase . . .

But in all of Your previous trips, did you ever get clonked on the head by a lift bar?

If the answer is no, then was the helmet the reason you kept getting clonked?

(runs to find a helmet and then duck for cover just in case) Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
Poll:

1 How many helmet thread were started by people who believe EVERYONE must wear one?

1 How many helmet thread were started by people who believe EVERYONE must wear one? all of them

2 How many helmet thread were started by people who believe it's useless? none of them

3 How many helmet thread were started by people who don't care? none of them

done Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ansta1, . . .this is a fair point and something I've been pondering . . .was the extra helmet volume the only reason the chairlift connected in the first instance, ie. if I hadn't been wearing it the bar would have missed by a whisker anyway . . .?

Either way, I'm now wearing one, and the my soul feels cleansed. . . apparently Shocked Blush
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eddiethebus wrote:
abc wrote:
Poll:

1 How many helmet thread were started by people who believe EVERYONE must wear one? all of them

2 How many helmet thread were started by people who believe it's useless? none of them

done Cool

Been asked many times why I don't wear a helmet.

Never asked anyone why they wear one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowheads68 wrote:

That's because the reasons why people wear helmets is obvious, the reasons not to are less clear.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Belch, can't believe i'm help to prolong this thread...

I am quite short and nevr was hit by a chair bar until I started wearing a helmet. And a rucksack. In combination they put me in range of the chair bar.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Belch, can't believe i'm help to prolong this thread...

I am quite short and nevr was hit by a chair bar until I started wearing a helmet. And a rucksack. In combination they put me in range of the chair bar.
I always said that Rucksacks cause head injuries!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
snowheads68 wrote:

That's because the reasons why people wear helmets is obvious, the reasons not to are less clear.

the reasons why people wear helmets is "obvious" ONLY to the helmet wearers.

My math professor at uni once said, the word obviously is the most dangerous word in mathematics. "You see these long proof that goes on for pages. You start to wonder how are all that stuff ever going to help the proof. Then with a single 'obviously', it slams the result down, even though there's still no connection to the result!"

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 1-02-16 19:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think all chairlifts should remove the bars then we would have less 'i have been saved from an injury by my helmet' reports.

Not sure about the increase in 'i fell off a chairlift' reports however...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@abc, I disagree. Whether those reasons are valid or not is a different matter, but I think it's safe to say that people wear helmets for largely 2 reasons:

1 - Because they think it's safer, or
2 - Because they have children that they want to wear one

People that don't wear them have a far larger numebr of reasons, it's hot, itchy, it makes your head heavy, it gives you a false sense of security, they don't protect you anyway, they're expensive....
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@abc, I disagree. Whether those reasons are valid or not is a different matter, but I think it's safe to say that people wear helmets for largely 2 reasons:

1 - Because they think it's safer, or
2 - Because they have children that they want to wear one

People that don't wear them have a far larger numebr of reasons, it's hot, itchy, it makes your head heavy, it gives you a false sense of security, they don't protect you anyway, they're expensive....

You missed out the largest reason for wearing one.

Most reasons for not wearing one can be grouped together in "convenience".
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude, I misunderstood your post.

While I agree people who wear helmet for simple reasons, the reason for people who don't wear helmet are equally simple, for any individual that is.

There maybe more diverse reasons for NOT wearing a helmet, typically an individual only need one or two of those reasons (better call them "obstacles"). Those reasons are no "less clear" to any given individual.

Also, you missed one reason for wearing helmet: 3) It's warmer.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, I misunderstood your post.

While I agree people who wear helmet for simple reasons, the reason for people who don't wear helmet are equally simple, for any individual that is.

There maybe more diverse reasons for NOT wearing a helmet, typically an individual only need one or two of those reasons (better call them "obstacles"). Those reasons are no "less clear" to any given individual.

Also, you missed one reason for wearing helmet: 3) It's warmer.

See where you're coming from, but I still think that it's easier to see why people wear helmets than why they don't (although maybe because I'm one of those that do). I'm also not sure that people would wear a helmet specifically because it's warmer, although no doubt many consider it in their assessment Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm also not sure that people would wear a helmet specifically because it's warmer

See?

I'm one such. Very Happy

So on a warm day, I ski without.

(I think of this as a fine example of how "clear" the reason for those who don't wear a helmet, while the helmet believers found it "unclear")
snow report
@abc, well you're just weird then NehNeh Can't see why you'd wear a helmet to be warm, surely that's what a hat's for?
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, . . Truth!
latest report
The reason I don't wear a helmet is I like to be different. 10-15 years ago I always wore a helmet.
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Can't see why you'd wear a helmet to be warm, surely that's what a hat's for?

Show me a hat that's as warm as a helmet!

This is just another example of how "unclear" helmet wearer are unaware of the clear reason why people don't wear helmets: For some people, helmets are just FAR FAR too warm no matter how many vents it has. (I'm not one of them. I need the extra warm for the most part, except in spring skiing)
latest report
Maybe time for a 'why a wear or don't wear a helmet poll'.... Twisted Evil

or maybe not.
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude just called me a number 2 Evil or Very Mad
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
Maybe time for a 'why a wear or don't wear a helmet poll'.... Twisted Evil

or maybe not.

As @SnoodyMcFlude pointed out, the list for wearing is very short while the list for non-wearing could be very long. (I don't know of all their reasons, only the "obvious" ones) Toofy Grin
snow report
eddiethebus wrote:

done

I've seen enough helmet threads over the years to know that your answers to questions 1 and 2 above are totally wrong. There have been many helmet threads started by people trying to discredit their use. This thread was only started by someone asking a question about compulsory use of them, so pretty neutral actually.
latest report
I respect every skier/boarders right to wear whatever form of head gear they feel most comfortable wearing. I wear a helmet when I'm skiing for the same reason I wear a helmet when I'm cycling - in SOME situations it MIGHT make the difference. I also accept that in some situations it will exacerbate some potential injuries. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. However, the helmet does make a great mount point for my GoPro....which of course represents one heck of a hazard in a collision scenario......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another reason for wearing a helmet is that it helps to give your non-skiing wife the impression that you are being sensible and so she doesn't fret. Anything for an easy life Very Happy
snow report
Me too, as my bald patch has got bigger, the reasons to wear a helmet have increased. Just bought my first one. Impressed with the number of vents and how easy it is, even wearing gloves, to open and close the many air vents.
I've never even been happy to wear a hat before, too hot; and even in the coldest weather, just worn a headband to cover my ears, sometimes with a peak to block the sun. This February, I'm taking my new helmet and if it is really uncomfortable or too hot...then I'll take it off. This way I have the option without the huge expense of buying in resort. By the way, DECATHLON are now half price on helmets !!!! you get an £80 lid for £39, with removeable ear pieces !!! BARGAIN, what's your head worth ?
snow report
Quote:

There have been many helmet threads started by David Goldsmith trying to discredit their use.

FIFY
Very Happy
ski holidays
Rabbie wrote:
Another reason for wearing a helmet is that it helps to give your non-skiing wife the impression that you are being sensible and so she doesn't fret. Anything for an easy life Very Happy

Another reason for wearing a helmet is that your non-skiing wife might think "If I let him go skiing and he has a very bad accident then I could be quids in" Twisted Evil
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:

done

I've seen enough helmet threads over the years to know that your answers to questions 1 and 2 above are totally wrong. There have been many helmet threads started by people trying to discredit their use. This thread was only started by someone asking a question about compulsory use of them, so pretty neutral actually.

I don't think this was an overly scientific poll so you might be right wink
snow conditions
Just finished my 4th ski trip of the season and here are my helmet-related takeaways (threads like this have made me more observant of helmet issues) -

1. I am the only person left who doesn't wear one. At least, that's how it feels.
2. So, everyone manages to put a helmet on but for sure most aren't looking where the fish they are going.
3. THE most idiotic of all are those with action cams on selfie sticks.
4. Almost nobody practises the gospel according to the FIS.
5. People with GoPros on top of their helmet (a) look utterly ridiculous (b) aren't aware of the effects of the adhesive on their particular helmet or the braking effect of that object in the event of contact with the deck (c) aren't doing anything that would make a watchable movie anyway.
6. People with helmet covers involving fluffy ears etc need therapy and should also refer to 5(b) above.
7. Few intermediates and above are investing in instruction yet they seem to be incapable of staying in control.
8. Everyone ignores Slow signs, indeed signs in general.
9. Not too many look like they are actually having FUN.
10. People have lots of safety gear but no idea how to keep themselves (or their kids!) safe.

Despite all that, in 4 trips I've seen very few incidents and only a couple of blood wagons. It's a safe sport. I'm all for helmets if you want to wear one but all helmets should come with a huge swingtag of the FIS rules and a voucher to go get some lessons.
ski holidays
Quote:

all helmets should come with a huge swingtag of the FIS rules and a voucher to go get some lessons.

No, no, no!

Lessons is an acknowledgement somehow their skiing is lacking. No one would do that even if they're paid to do so! Toofy Grin

Helmet on the other hand, is a sign they have the means to buy one.
snow report
Pruman wrote:
Just finished my 4th ski trip of the season and here are my helmet-related takeaways (threads like this have made me more observant of helmet issues) -

1. I am the only person left who doesn't wear one. At least, that's how it feels.
2. So, everyone manages to put a helmet on but for sure most aren't looking where the fish they are going.
3. THE most idiotic of all are those with action cams on selfie sticks.
4. Almost nobody practises the gospel according to the FIS.
5. People with GoPros on top of their helmet (a) look utterly ridiculous (b) aren't aware of the effects of the adhesive on their particular helmet or the braking effect of that object in the event of contact with the deck (c) aren't doing anything that would make a watchable movie anyway.
6. People with helmet covers involving fluffy ears etc need therapy and should also refer to 5(b) above.
7. Few intermediates and above are investing in instruction yet they seem to be incapable of staying in control.
8. Everyone ignores Slow signs, indeed signs in general.
9. Not too many look like they are actually having FUN.
10. People have lots of safety gear but no idea how to keep themselves (or their kids!) safe.

Despite all that, in 4 trips I've seen very few incidents and only a couple of blood wagons. It's a safe sport. I'm all for helmets if you want to wear one but all helmets should come with a huge swingtag of the FIS rules and a voucher to go get some lessons.

Ain't you the man! The only one there who knows what they're doing on the "mountain". You must be a living legend.
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:

Becoming more and more obvious. It seems with TO ski holidays becoming so cheap and accessible and the cost of ski lessons in comparison in some cases as much as the trip itself no wonder so many people only have lessons for the first week or two skiing then stop.

As for helmets:

National Ski Areas Association report recently published finds am increase in helmet usage across the US and a decrease in head injuries.

http://www.nsaa.org/media/255109/Helmet_Fact_Sheet_10_15_2015.pdf
snow conditions
@uktrailmonster, correct.

11. Some people take Internet forums seriously.
snow conditions
extremerob wrote:
Pruman wrote:

Becoming more and more obvious. It seems with TO ski holidays becoming so cheap and accessible and the cost of ski lessons in comparison in some cases as much as the trip itself no wonder so many people only have lessons for the first week or two skiing then stop.

As for helmets:

National Ski Areas Association report recently published finds am increase in helmet usage across the US and a decrease in head injuries.

http://www.nsaa.org/media/255109/Helmet_Fact_Sheet_10_15_2015.pdf

Quote:

For the 17 seasons of interest, the prevalence of all injuries to the head decreased from 8.4 to 6.8 %; the prevalence of potentially serious head injuries (PSHI) declined from 4.2 to 3.0 %. The incidence of PSHI declined from 1 in 4200 days of activity to 1 in 11 000 days of activity; the incidence of any head injury declined from 1 in 8600 days of activity to 1 in 26 000 days of activity. Results of the study also stated that over this same time, the incidence of helmet usage increased from 8 to 84 %.

Helmet usage up 8% to 84% yet head injuries only down 8.4 to 6.8 %. Not the huge difference the Schattenparkers and Warmduschers would have you believe.
snow report
[quote="snowheads68"]
extremerob wrote:

Helmet usage up 8% to 84% yet head injuries only down 8.4 to 6.8 %. Not the huge difference the Schattenparkers and Warmduschers would have you believe.

So what?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy