Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2015/16 inc useful links

Poster: A snowHead
Lots of snow today, avalanche awareness course was interesting given that the lifts actually opened very late and it was level 4. After the theory session we still did a bit mainly off the side and there's plenty of new snow.

LG is totally shut atm according to the guide I was with today. Still not enough snow but high avi risk.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's been a lot of snow yesterday and overnight Happy I'm going up a little later as I've got to do a couple of things this morning and will be up until 7 with the torchlight descent Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From my balcony a few minutes ago, it's started snowing fairly heavily since Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have temps dropped . . . do I need to buy a new facemask . . ?!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dropped and due to drop further, freezing down as low as sea level coming up.

Just walked up to supermarket and stopped for a coffee. There is a lot of snow around, they've made a super job of clearing the roads and paths though. Going up at 2 with some friends.

Avi level is likely to be very high though. 4 yesterday. Was with 2 guides yesterday who were concerned about conditions coming up; weak layers, type of snow, wind, etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Presume that's good news for the pisteurs then in terms of maintenance and snowbase being kept intact, not brilliant news for La Grave then . . ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How are the pistes holding up?

Ive seen a video that looks great but some of the comments talk about rocks sticking through and damaging skis
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
French media reporting serious avalanche incident this afternoon involving children and a teacher(s), any info from the ground? Fingers crossed all are ok but at the moment it does not look good Sad Sad Sad

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2016/01/13/les-deux-alpes-une-avalanche-aurait-fait-un-blesse-grave-et-plusieurs-disparus
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From my news feed:

A schoolchild has died and two others are seriously injured after an avalanche hit a group of around 10 pupils and their teacher in the French Alps.

It's reported they were skiing at the Deux Alpes resort this afternoon.

Four injured students are being taken to hospital by helicopter.

Five are still missing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Terrible news Sad

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 13-01-16 23:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BBC are reporting that it was on a closed black piste.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It now says three dead, not one - initially one 14 year old French child and someone carrying a Ukrainian passport, and now another one. 2 others remain in a desperate state with serious injuries and one other is seriously wounded.

Alongside the two initial fatalities, 4 others were recovered and taken off the mountain in a state of cardiac arrest earlier, along with the seriously injured teacher.

Terrible
Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tragic, but wtf was a teacher doing taking a group of 10 children off-piste/down a closed run?...........
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remains to be seen if that is what did happen but if it did it is shocking. I note a judicial enquiry has already begun as would be expected in France. Any chance they were below the piste and hit by the avalanche? Looks like a pretty well known piste.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@8611, Doesn't look like anyone was "below the piste and hit" as the area affected seems to be a little above the base station of the lift where other runs meet this piste. There are no other runs nearby on that mountainside. This is quite a difficult black slope and would have danger from both the sides and the slope itself. Seems crazy for anyone to be on it when closed. Unfortunately not looking good for most of those involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35303921

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 13-01-16 21:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Jiggs62 wrote:
It now says three dead, not one - initially one 14 year old French child and someone carrying a Ukrainian passport, and now another one. 2 others remain in a desperate state with serious injuries and one other is seriously wounded.

Alongside the two initial fatalities, 4 others were recovered and taken off the mountain in a state of cardiac arrest earlier, along with the seriously injured teacher.

Terrible
Sad

and worst of all, not everyone has been found...
ski holidays
awful news. . .
ski holidays
Posted elsewhere, dreadful day, what should have been a day of celebration became a day of mourning.

Snowing heavily here at the moment and is forecast to continue all day. I'm not skiing today for several reasons.
snow conditions
Lovely sunny day but really, really cold. Plenty of new snow since I last skied on Wednesday so it was great. Skied Fee for the first time this winter and Super Diable with a young girl (early 20s) staying at a friends place who was particularly keen to get down a black. Unfortunately her sister fell earlier and has a broken collar bone Sad

Aussie Pink Floyd in Grenoble this evening Happy

Only photo taken today, too cold to take phone out of pocket, Ella at top of Super Diable.

Photo borrowed from L2A FB page of last night's silence for victims!
snow conditions
Thanks @Claude B.
snow conditions
Got back last night after spending all day yesterday and Friday night in Grenoble where there was a lot of snow. Not been much or even any here though. Really cold though, forecast for -20C or -35 with wind chill at 3200m today Shocked Getting everything out of the cupboard ATM Inc gimp mask for first time this winter Happy
snow report
@Claude B, go Claude. Gimp mask. Learn to love the rubber!
ski holidays
Needed it, just did a couple hours. Super Diable black is lovely skied it twice. Also skied Valentine for the first time this winter at 12.30, awful, icy and horrible.
ski holidays
An icy Valentin? Bet that was, erm, interesting
snow report
. . .New airhole gimp mask purchased . . .6 days to go!
snow report
Cold again today but not quite as bad as yesterday. Light was pretty poor and getting very flat in the afternoon. Came down about 3. Did go to see the lovely people in the Fee restaurant for a hot chocolate, they only managed to open just over a week ago when there was enough snow to get there.
ski holidays
Pretty dull with a little snow falling in resort. KenX coming over from SC this afternoon and for dinner. Also met up with Montana, family and friends for an apres beer yesterday. After I had the best Diots Savoyard ever that some guys from Annecy had bought in. Organic pork from their friends pigs they had been slow cooked in local white wine for several days. Absolutely delicious Happy
ski holidays
Road here from Grenoble has been closed at Freney, road slip danger in tunnel I think. A couple of options here.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1067031733346850&id=159405327442833

Lovely sunny day, think I'll go skiing Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Road should reopen tomorrow morning, I was concerned it would be another long term closure.

Beautiful, cold, sunny day with perfect snow. Took my new piste skis out for the first time, I love them Happy

Looking onto Toura from Jandri 2

latest report
Similar day, had an enjoyable morning skiing with Montana and some of her family and friends. Came back via Super Diable Black.

snow report
Many thanks @Claude B, for your company and guiding - we had a lovely morning Very Happy just back after a long but very sunny Bluebird day ( have decided that, henceforth, I only really want to ski in these conditions ) wink
ski holidays
Another cracking bluebird day yesterday again. I was due to meet a couple of friends at lunchtime but one was ill so I skied alone for most of the day. Didn't hold the horses, Everest (nearly 9k vertical metres) in 5 hours. Also skied from top (only open to 3200m) back to resort (1650m) non stop in 13 minutes, 11km according to skitracks Shocked My new piste skis Fischer Progressor 900 are awesome Happy

Looking out of the window from my bed, must get up soon Happy it looks nice again today.
ski holidays
...just got here...feels like spring!
snow report
@Belch, cold wind up the mountain though, I've just come down after a leisurely slide with a couple of friends. Yesterday top to bottom in 13 minutes, today an hour and a half Very Happy
latest report
Turned really warm again, just had lunch in resort outside in the sun. Was on 9 o'clock lift this morning Shocked for a fast 2 and a half hour ski with a friend before he leaves today.
ski holidays
Def best conditions am. Skied Bellecombe reds this morning on untouched corduroy...luverly
snow conditions
@Belch, Glad you're enjoying Happy I went walking on Vallee Blanche today instead of skiing, very warm. Alpe D'Huez tomorrow.
snow conditions
Please let us know how ADH is looking tomorrow Claude! I'm still deciding between there and L2A for this Sat
ski holidays
Tried to get over to AD today but buses all full and taxis asking for 180 euros....! Windy up top today but the sun still shining, the gilet made its first outing....last day tomorrow...praying for an overnight dusting snowHead
snow report
Alpe D'Huez was nice yesterday. Met a friend there who guided us around, mainly the Oz, Montfrais, Vaujany side. Quite crunchy in the morning and turned slushy later especially lower. They're coming over here today.

I'm in need of a rest I'm not skiing at all this weekend.

Forecasting some snow over the weekend and next week which is badly needed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy