Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
@Fergus, http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/Marketing/brochures/hiver16/avantages/Acces-Verbier-GB.pdf

annual pass 6 single days free but not in same week
season pass 6 single half days but not in same week
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Idris, oh dear.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last chance to get a discounted season pass, today!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GM Saturday was great fun! Sounds like it was better than les houches Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone skied GM / Flegere this weekend and can update on whether the cover is sufficient to come over to test some skis tomorrow?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, my sons up at GM today , will get you and update later this arvo snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, he has been on brevent today , pistes in good nic but hard pack , with very thin cover elsewhere . GM yesterday the same ,bit of soft stuff on side of bochard, but watch out for rocks , maybe some spring like snow in something south facing like the col de belvedere tomorrow ??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dabber, six years ago, with a couple of friends we broke trail and skinned up to the col de belvedere. We were followed by a group of PGHM guys on a training exercise which gave us a bit of confidence. From the col we carried on over into the Berard but they skied back down the south side.
What was significant however was our approach.
While we skied over the lake altogether, they followed one at a time!
I did read that 5 ski tourers went up the Index yesterday, also that the Le buet pub was closed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The green XC track is in good nick. My XC fitness less so. Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dabber, thanks. Just need somewhere close the echo base shop to b able to try and test out as many skis as possible in 1 day. Sounds like Brevent might work even if the conditions aren't ideal for testing off piste gear....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, Flegere as also open... Which is a bit more convenient, cable car aside Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If anyone is knocking around Cham tomorrow and fancies meeting up for a ski let me know
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GM a bit scratchy this morning. Very low tide in a few places, some powder hiding in others.

Lavancher has some very big rocks and some nice soft snow

Tree skiing is not so hot rigft now

Some of the traverses are a bit windblown and bare

Retour Pendent not running, for very obvious reasons

Pierre ric (home run), not recommended

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm off to Chamonix on Thursday for a few nights solo skiing, is the resort supposed to fully open on Saturday? I'm wondering how to best spend the 2.5 days skiing I have? Advice from those there would be welcomed!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
only the bochard is really worth lapping if you want a lift (or if your a beginner brevent might be worth a look)

doubt anything more will open until we get another good snowfall.

verbier and cervinia are good if you have a car.
snow conditions
Defo not a beginner Happy and no car Sad. I wont get in until about mid day Thurs so Brevent may just be an afternoon warm up, then over the GM Friday. I think there's a little flurry of snow forecast this week, but won't make much difference.. Hopefully the Chambre Neuf will have some activity Happy !! Thanks for the reply Very Happy
ski holidays
@mrlossyman, should be a bit of new snow up high tonight Very Happy brevent ok in the afternoon , bit of a freeze thaw atm so a couple of nice easy days on GM working on technique would be the order of the day snowHead
snow conditions
@Dabber thanks, I ski in Chamonix quite a bit, or rather go for a few days before xmas each year for some solo head space! Very special for me.. It looks like a trip to Courmayeur is off the agenda this year though, things a little worse there I hear! Hopefully a few sunny days and exercise will free the mind Happy
latest report
@mrlossyman, sounds like a plan Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I was also up there on Tuesday. The Bochard piste is in pretty good, if rock hard, condition. A few chalky bits off the side for warming up the legs but attention needed to avoid the rocks.

@Idris, you weren't on Telemarks per chance. Noticed a group of 3 or 4 Telemarkers on what looked like your skis?
ski holidays
hi I'm coming to Chamonix this evening with my family (kids are 5 and 10). Can you recommend the best places to ski as a family for the next 3/4 days (green/ blue runs)?
ski holidays
@Wilk, welcome to snowheads snowHead start on the new beginners area and lift on brevent, after that things will depend on new snow or lower temps , but guess you'll be there by now so will have a better idea
snow conditions
Thanks, just got in and the guys at the hotel have said Brevent or Flegere are both partially open.
snow report
Wilk wrote:
Thanks, just got in and the guys at the hotel have said Brevent or Flegere are both partially open.

Rich - maybe you should have gone to a snowdome to hone your epic skills first???? I guess you at least have Matty to teach you a thing or 2. Laughing Hope you find some ok snow mate.
Cheers,
Dave.
snow conditions
yesterday up gm was good fun, a couple of fresh cm's, nothing much, but it freshened things up in certain areas and covered a few rocks that were in the way!

suns out now Cool
latest report
@Wilk, If you have a car, Verbier could be your best bet for the whole family.
snow report
Verbier has more open and has better cover than Cham at the moment but not enough to warrant the schlep of driving over and back every day imho
ski holidays
Skied brevent today. Hard snow but beautiful sunshine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in brevet too. Only a few lifts open and by the end of the day lots of rocks coming through everywhere. Went over towards the flegere lift which was a big mistake, rocks everywhere. Gonna head to gm tomorrow and hope for some better cover. It is looking pretty grim for those coming the weekend. It was way too warm today, could have easily skied in a t-shirt! Glorious sun but it's not doing the slopes any favours! Sat in chambre neuf!
snow report
@mrlossyman, remember just "free the mind" Toofy Grin
latest report
Yes, it was freed by thinking about how much I'd paid to get my bases serviced! However bad the snow is you can't fail to be impressed with the views, stunning! Puts it all into perspective Happy. Over at gm later Happy
ski holidays
@mrlossyman, so true , some of the best views anywhere ,hope you had fun today ,my lads over on gm today as well, split boarded up higher and found a bit of good stuff , Very Happy
ski holidays
Skied Brevent/Flegere today

Top open, piste complete, but narrow, one Piste basher wide for quite a bit

looking across the valley, there is frost covering the valley floor but too much green around.

Over towards the link only the low short chairs open, very scratchy

Looking back up from the link lift, gonna take a fair bit of snow to get Cornu open

Across the link and up the valley looks like autumn

Flegere is more like an warm late April

On the piste (Index only open for walkers/tourers) it's really not much, but it is open.

ski holidays
Prarion now open,

New lift up and running, replaces the old Cha and Chamois drag lifts.

Nice up top

La Cha is open.

The obligatory coffee

Link runs are a bit thin but open

Upper Kandahar is closed but mostly complete, race piste hard. The middle section at Maison Neuve is open and in good condition and is connected by shuttle bus from below.

Skiing back to the valley floor is a bit thin.

Getting close to home, some Kandide Thovex style grass skiing required, but made it Summit to door.

latest report
Vallee Blanche is open for business, but ONLY if you have a good guide or Mountaineering experience - snow's good

And a little video from today from my friend David de Masi who is much better at editing than me.

Sorry forgot how to post an embedded video - can someone fix it AND tell me how

https://video-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpa1/v/t42.1790-2/12412056_493663500758986_122212253_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjYzNywicmxhIjo2NTgsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoidjNfNDI2X2NyZl8yM19tYWluXzMuMF9zZCJ9&rl=637&vabr=354&oh=a702a46cf88163704fd84a2605a728bc&oe=5679EF51[/
snow report
GM top open, first 20m is steep and sketchy on the narrow piste they have open, but the snow is very nice considering. The run thats open is a variant of Pylons, it goes round left over col Rasshasse then diverts from thr norm (straight down to hearse) it goes diagonally left to join the Bochard piste.

Of course I had to explore, hard right on the glacier there was lovely powder

snow report
@Idris, rude not to Toofy Grin
snow report
Up there myself today, thought it was pretty nice!
ski holidays
The wigglies indicate a smattering of precipitation and lower temps a week from now, just in time for my arrival. Here's hoping that forecast stays on track...
latest report
Zero_G wrote:
The wigglies indicate a smattering of precipitation and lower temps a week from now, just in time for my arrival. Here's hoping that forecast stays on track...

I've been sat watching it like a hawk and have everything crossed for it... Arrive on Monday for the season and not planning on doing anything initially unless some snow comes, don't want to immediately ruin the first Ski's I've ever owned Shocked snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy