Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2015/16 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a week here at the beginning of March on a whim! It's my bf's first time skiing eeeek! Are there any friendly Snowheads or guiding groups out there I can tag along with whilst he's in lessons?

Btw it's good to be back on Snowheads after several yrs absence ... One divorce and a job change later I'm back yay !!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snobunni, welcome back! I'm always happy to be tagged along with - contact me using the details on my website below.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from a week in Saalbach and thought I'd add a few non-skiing thoughts to the thread, given that this was our second visit and we are a little bit more familiar with the area.

This year we hired our skis from Sport 2000 Check-In which is the shop in the Schattberg gondola station. Last year we hired via the tour operator and I think that we got better equipment this time round. I booked online and went for the five star option, not the six star (most expensive) one, but I was given a pair of Fischer RC4s from the test range that were brand new, unused. I hope that I gave them back in decent nick...

The main reason for choosing that shop was the depot that they have, where you can leave your skis and boots overnight. Obviously it's both a blessing and a curse. You need to be back before 6pm which curtails your apres activities, and if you were a little out of town near a bus stop and wanted to go elsewhere in the valley you'd need to walk into town, get your skis and boots and get on the bus at Schattberg. Also if you are at the top of the town and wanted to start the day on either the Bernkogel or Kohlmais areas then you'd be walking past both of the main lifts to get your stuff and carry it back up the hill for a couple of hundred metres.

We discovered Burgi's for the first time this year, which is a tiny outdoor apres bar next to Bauer's on Schiliftstrasse. Burgi herself is very pleasant and it's all suitably middle-aged and low key. There are patio heaters and a canopy for when it's snowy. We thought it was cosy and welcoming.

We also liked the laid back, if slightly pricey, apres at the Eva Alm on the main street, which has a modern vibe and has patio heaters and furry rugs in the outside areas.

We've never been inside Castello, which is the bar under the Saalbacherhof Hotel at the foot of the main street, but their band was playing outside each late afternoon along with a bottle bar. They were pretty good and the singer/guitarist had a good line in banter. We bumped into friends on Friday after skiing and went back to the terrace of the Saalbacherhof to have a drink and listen to the band, which was OK, but spoilt by one grumpy waitress and the lack of heating on the terrace.

As ever, the Hinterhagalm in my view is unmissable for apres. You have to go at least once when you are in Saalbach.

Food-wise we were a bit more discerning this year and tried to navigate by good pit stops rather than just choosing somewhere handy.

We had one mediocre lunch at the Hochalmhuette in Hinterglemm, which is mainly self service (there's a small table service area inside and out), whist lunches at Rosswaldhuette in Hinterglemm (twice) and Asitz Brau and Alte Schmiede in Leogang were very good. We also had lunch at the Kohlmais Stubn at the foot of run 51 in Sallbach, which was good, but a little bit chaotic in terms of service. If you are a beer geek then you must try the Asitz Brau house beer (also served at the Alte Schmiede). It's a Vienna style lager, so it's darker and maltier than a standard Bavarian style Helles.

We loved coffee and afternoon hot chocolate/schnapps at the Wieseralm in Hinterglemm, which is a little bit hard to find since it's tucked round a corner at the bottom of blue 32 next to the top of the Reiterkogelbahn.

Finally, we were introduced to two new drinking experiences by a new German friend, firstly marillien (apricot) schnapps which is vastly superior to Williams and a heisse hexe (at the Alte Schmiede and Asitz Brau it's called a heisse braumeister). This is a warm plum brandy with whipped cream on top. It sounds weird, but it's really nice.

On the skiing side, we were having so much fun in Saalbach-Hinterglemm that we didn't go over to Fieberbrunn, so now we have an excuse for going back next year Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 15-02-16 13:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@honved, lovely to hear youve had a good time its now less than 2 weeks before we go and we are looking forward to it ,funny isnt it how most folks reporting on saalbach like the same things having been several times before, we like the little bar you mention as you usually drop into conversation with some one from anywhere as well as the eva alm and the hinterhag needs no introduction it seems whichever hut you visit is usually good both in terms of food and service , we dont seem to be getting many reports of folks going over to fieberbrunn just wondering why ? or is that because its a biggish area for intermediate holiday makers so not everyone is going over
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@honved, We were probably passing you all week - even though we're here all season, we are infrequent visitors to Burgi's, the Eva Alm, the Saalbacherhof, the Kohlmais Stub'n and the Rosswaldhuette, and we've never lunched at the Hochalmhuette (one of the few remaining, self-service mountain restaurants). Everyone establishes their own particular favourites, and it's always interesting to compare notes. We have our own haunts, which include the Wieseralm, the Alte Schmiede, and the Asitzbraeu, as well as many other mountain restaurants, and village bars, such as Bobby's, Underbar and Otzi Bar. I'm sure that you'll plenty of delights to discover next year - if you don't already have a copy of our guide, PM me your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send it to you.

I can see why you say that there are drawbacks to leaving your skis at the Sport 2000 depot. We always recommend our friends, guests and fellow-snowheads to go to Hansi's Best-Price, next door but one to Bobby's Pub. Hansi is always very welcoming and provides good service and equipment. Unlike the big chains, like Sport 2000, he is also his own boss and will give a generous discount to anyone who mentions that I recommended his shop.

As for Fieberbrunn, I confess that I've only popped over there once, even though I've been here since 19th Dec. The conditions haven't always been ideal, but there's currently no reason not to go over there, and I shall probably go and explore that addition to the area more extensively later this week. Incidentally, on my one sortie over to Fieberbrunn about a week ago - my first visit to a new skiing area for a very long time - I felt like a fish out of water! No idea where I was going and constantly poring over my piste map - it brought it home to me what it must be like for people who come to Saalbach for the first time, and why they always sound so appreciative of any guiding.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 15-02-16 14:33; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a copy of the report that put on a different thread earlier:

It's really a case of no news is good news. It's been snowing off and on since last night and is snowing lightly as I write. According to http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid it's due to snow heavily later, and the next few days look very promising indeed. All 70 lifts are running, and I haven't encountered any closed pistes of late. Even piste 68 (which, being the lowest and lacking snow cannons, tends to suffer the most) was open when I last went in that direction last Friday.

I would say that the last few days, particularly last Thursday and Friday, have been the best skiing days of the season - although it's currently a bit murky up top, the second half of last week was sunny with cold temperatures, powdery snow and beautifully maintained pistes. A fellow snowhead (kooky) came over on Thursday and couldn't believe how uncrowded the pistes were, considering it was the main Austrian and Bavarian half-term, and also Fasching week - e.g. we had pistes 68, 65 and 57 virtually to ourselves. It looks as though we may get similar conditions later this week.

On the apres front, it's probably fair to say that we've been overdoing it - but we keep hooking up with guests and friends, who understandably want to make the most of their week here and keep enticing us into first the Bergeralm (for Happy Hour between 3.30-4.30pm), and then the Hinterhag Alm. Later in the evening we also seem to be drawn inexorably to the Otzi Bar and the Underbar, especially when there's live music - Cuckoo in the Underbar on Friday, and Spacey every Sunday and Wednesday in Otzi Bar (and Bobby's on Fridays). Bobby's Pub is currently teeming with swarms (if I'm allowed to use that word) of school kids, and I would surmise that the same applies to places like Castello and Taverne.

The gifted Irish band, Cuckoo, are next playing in Bobby's Pub on 29th Feb, so that's a date not to be missed for anyone who will be here. They have a new Australian fiddle player, who is quite an extrovert. They whipped up a great atmosphere in Underbar on Friday, and I'm sure they will do the same in Bobby's on 29th.

I'm currently wracked with guilt, as Mrs TT is limping round with a damaged knee, having tripped over a step in that notorious scene of mishaps, the Hinterhag Alm. My fault, as I was hastily leading the way towards a table that had just been vacated, and I didn't pause to warn her of the step (she's lost her varifocals during a previous evening of riotous Hinterhagging). Consequently it's slowed us down a bit, and that's one reason why I'm sitting here at my computer, rather than out skiing (although I shall be heading up the Kohlmais shortly).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a week in Saalbach last week and made it over to Fieberbrunn on Friday and had some of the best skiing of the week. I was struggling earlier in the week with a lot of the Reds around Saalbach being quite chopped up with moguls.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tatman, hope you don't mind but i've pm'd you for your infamous guide?

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A quick TR from me.

I was in Saalbach with SWMBO last week staying at the Pension Schattberg with Crystal. (great flight times this year from Newcastle)
Arrrived on Saturday just before 2pm.....6 day lift passes start at 3pm the previous day and since I bought them online a few weeks before we dumped out bags to get a few cheeky runs in before watching the rugby at Bobbys bar which was mobbed with all the other new arrivals! Good atmosphere not many of us Scots however!!

This is my third visit to Saalbach, my last being a long weekend staying at one of Tatman's places so have already commited alot of his great information to memory!
Knowing the area reasonably well for a tourist we had a great few days exploring and mucking around as snowboarders do. All runs were in great condition and even as I aluded to elsewhere after a couple of warm days some of the busier routes low down were starting to get a little thin.

That all changed Tuesday afternoon with an expected stormy conditions closing in on the afternoon closing pretty much all the lifts including those required for us to return from the top of the Asitz plateau! After some very poor discussions in German shielding from some very hard ice-filled gusts we were directed to walk around the slopes to the one functioning lift (sportbahn2000) that would give us enough height to descend to the Schonletten base and get home from there, I really felt watching the poor souls walking up pistes 63 and 64 to get back over to Leogang!

But after that it was snow snow snow all day Wednesday as I was like a kid in a sweet shop!! Ton's of little powder stashes everywhere and so much fun to be had just messing around cutting between pistes.

Thursday we headed over to Fieberbrunn for the first time. I could see why it attracts freeriders, ski-routes all over and some great looking routes that you rarely see so openly and so used. I stayed mainly to the pistes as OH isn't that keen on playing off-piste but I still had plenty fun cutting around off the sides and between runs.
I could be wrong but it looks like the piste management actually creates little roads that aren't marked on the piste maps to encourage this, I mean that it seems that routes are created that allow you to exit the pistes solely for the purpose of coming back on via a little bit of deep fresh snow. And there was still alot of it about!!
I'd thoroughly recommend going over although the mountain hut at the top of the Streuboden lift was unusually a self service affair and seemed very overwhelmed dealing with all their new customers coming over the brow of the hill!!
A small word of caution if you are heading over and are not very confident, the last section of run F14 to the TirolS gondola is pretty damn steep for a red, it not long or narrow but even I had a little "what the...." moment before committing to it.
We finished the week enjoying the sunshine over in Leogang again before heading to our booked early dinner at Peter's Hotel, too early for the magic show but the food was amazing, the shared tray hexenbessen is a meat lovers sight to behold!!

Ok I lied.... due to the late transfer time of 14.30 we had a great sneaky Saturday morning on the much quieter slopes on Schattberg and Zwolferkogel. It started snowing and really cloudy first thing but blue ski's broke about 10.30 and it was quite a pull to go back down and pack catching our transfer by the skin of our teeth!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (I don't know why but my 41euro half day pass was made into a 34euro all day pass for some reason? These prices aren't on the board and the lady tried to explain but I was in a rush to get away which she could tell and I was chuffed anyway!)

As always eating and drinking out is very reasonable and you are hard-pushed to get a bad meal anywhere. We ate evening meals at the Schattberg Stub'n (x2), Kolmais Stub'n, Eva Alm (the speciality cold meat platter is enormous!), Wallners, Del Rossi and Peters and couldn't fault any of them.

I am very fond of Skicircus Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fieberbrunn (they are really going to have to come up with a catchier name, the printing costs alone must be astronomical and when the link to Zell am See is up and running you won't be able to get the whole name on a pistemap!) so much so I'm back for a long weekend in 2 weeks with eight friends.
I'll be sampling more of the hostelries on this jaunt and can't wait for my unofficial night snowboarding trips!! Little Angel Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@joe1978, Glad you had a good trip. It sounds as though we may have been crossing paths at some point - including that windy day at Leogang, when I advised some snowboarders in the Steinbergbahn how to get back to Saalbach, following the closure of the Asitzgipfelbahn chair. Was it you by any chance?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wasn't me Tatman. I would've piped up and asked if it was you! It would've aldo saved an argument with the Mrs over who's understanding of the German directions were right! Lol.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello all. Can anyone recommend a hotel suitable for a family of 4. Nearish a ski school. Ski in and out wouldbe great

Thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DanFuller, See this discussion: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2852053&highlight=saalbach#2852053 (Does it have to be a hotel?)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or chalet service. The other half won't want to make beds etc whilst we're away. Otherwise she try's to get me to take her away again when we get back ha.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@joe1978, I will be back in Saalbach in a weeks time and hoping to make it across to Fieberbrunn to check it out this time. As a fellow snowboarder are there any nasty flat pistes that are best avoided in that area? Not many around Saalbach but always good to have a heads up when venturing into a new area!

Seems we were also crossing paths with you & Tatman on the windy Leogang afternoon last week. Retrospectively, we were lucky that due to not being able to get a table at any of the restaurants around the Alte Schmeide area we decided to head back towards Wildenkarkogel for a break instead, and so managed to get back across to Saalbach minutes before the lifts started closing!
latest report
Icebear wrote:
@joe1978, I will be back in Saalbach in a weeks time and hoping to make it across to Fieberbrunn to check it out this time. As a fellow snowboarder are there any nasty flat pistes that are best avoided in that area? Not many around Saalbach but always good to have a heads up when venturing into a new area!

Blue 6a is an almost flat track from near the top of the Larchfilzen chair to the top of the Streuboden gondola. Even on skis that is hard to glide, it would be a nightmare on a board.

Otherwise the only bit I'm aware of is a short flat/uphill section to the bottom of the Maiskopf T-bar, although you can usually get enough of a run at that off red 9.
ski holidays
Thanks, will definitely make sure 6a is off the itinerary in that case Very Happy
snow report
@Icebear, not many that I can remember. I hit a flat patch on F9 but that was because I was too busy grinning at all the little side of piste cut throughs created Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
I will say though that F1C wasn't as fun as it looks on the map. It's very narrow in places and lots of blue-like 'roads' just traversing trying to maintain speed and avoid slow skiers Twisted Evil
You'll have a ball though.
Joe
(I didn't even entertain 6a. It has nightmare written all over it on a snowboard.)
snow conditions
Oh, a quick question if that's ok?
How much should it cost for a 9/10 seater taxibus thing from Zell am see station to Saalbach? I emailed a few places today and surprise surprise they all quote the same price of €10pp each way which seems alot for a 15 minute trip.
snow conditions
@joe1978, You may find that the price is standard, unless you can find a firm that is willing to undercut the rest. Last time I enquired (some years ago) it was EUR 35 for 2 people, so EUR 10 pp doesn't seem excessive. That's the equivalent of £7.77 pp at the current rate of exchange. Back home it costs us about £16 for a taxi to take two of us 5 miles - a 10 min journey. Zell am See station to Saalbach is about 11 miles and takes about 20 mins (at normal speeds, rather than the speed at which they tend to drive). Have you tried Taxi Rainer?
snow report
@joe1978, the Post bus from Zell am See to Saalbach is about EUR 5.80 one way, but this involves about a 10 min walk from the train station to the Postplatz and will also only drop you on the main road at the bottom of Saalbach (Schattberg x-press area) so depending on where your accommodation is it may also involve a bit of a walk. Bus also only goes once an hour and takes approx 40mins). So even if cab seems a bit on the pricey side it is probably worth it for far less faffing around!
snow conditions
@Icebear, The Postbus from Zell am See to Saalbach stops outside the railway station in Zell, both on the way in to and out of Zell. In Saalbach, it picks up and sets down at all of the bus stops on the main road in the valley, not just at Schattberg.

@joe1978, The minibus taxis all take 8 passengers, so 9 or 10 of you will require 2 vehicles. €10 per head is €50 per cab, which is about the usual price.
latest report
Cheers @Tatman, @quinton and @Icebear.
I've emailed Rainer as well as the rest and they're all the same. It's not that bad at all really I'm just tight and a penny saved is another spent on beer and grostl! Haha.

Joe
ski holidays
Oh yeah true, sorry now I think about it the post bus did go past the Station in Zell am See along the way.... will have to avoid replying to posts too early in the morning while I am half asleep to avoid giving out misinformation Toofy Grin On the Saalbach side I just meant it may not be as convenient if your accom is on the top side of town rather than the bottom side along the main valley road. Tricky decision..... bus and extra beer, or taxi!?!?
snow report
It's snowing fairly heavily at present, by the way Very Happy
snow conditions
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Apres-ski news: Brilliant Irish band (with new Australian fiddle player), "Cuckoo", are playing their next gig in Bobby's Pub on 29th February.
latest report
this time next week should be in resort,(kit out today tried boots checked gloves goggles etc) yet still cant believe that none of the regulars out there have said much about venturing across to fieberbrunn
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski for fun wrote:
this time next week should be in resort,(kit out today tried boots checked gloves goggles etc) yet still cant believe that none of the regulars out there have said much about venturing across to fieberbrunn

Sorry that I didn't respond earlier to your query on my trip report/restaurant guide Smile

We didn't visit Fieberbrunn this trip for three main reasons. Firstly, we were skiing with friends on two of the days and a couple of folk had to get back to pick up kids from ski school, secondly, the link was shut one of the days due to high winds and thirdly, on our last day, we were just having a nice day pootling around from Saalbach to Hinterglemm and we didn't really feel the need. We justified it on the basis that it gives us a chance to try it next year and an excuse when folk ask us why we are going to Saalbach for a third year in a row, when we've never done more than two trips to any one resort in 15 years.

Let us know how you get on.
latest report
TR from half term week in Hinterglemm. This was a repeat visit (last year in Saalbach). Generally a very good week.

Travel:

We had two groups. We flew via Dusseldorf, leaving Friday evening, staying overnight in airport hotel and then early flight to Salzburg. Although a little bit of a hassle, it was pretty painless, much cheaper than direct flights (even with hotel) and gave us an extra day on the slopes. We arrived at Salzburg at 7.45am, were in hotel by 9.30 and on slopes by 10.30, having changed, picked up lift passes from hotel and picked up skis. Return was at 12.35, with same day connection at Dusseldorf, back at LHR at 16.40. Salzburg airport VERY crowded with huge queues for check-in - our airberlin flight to Dusseldorf allowed us to sidestep all the queues, which was a bonus.

The other group came by train on the Saturday. 06.57 train from St Pancras had them in the hotel by 9pm, with train to Zell am See. Return had them leaving hotel at 5am (which was earlier than necessary), and arriving at St Pancras at about 9pm. A long journey, but they say it was easy and stress-free (and allowed some enforced GCSE revision...) and was MUCH cheaper than flying. They would do it again (as would I - we did it last year via Paris).

Taxi Altenberger was efficient and cost €150 e/w for 8 people.

Hotel:

We stayed at Hotel Rosentalerhof in Hinterglemm. Reasonable location about 4 mins walk from the Reiterkogelbahn and a couple of mins from a T-bar that allowed us to get to Westgipfelbahn and Zwolferkogelbahn with little walking (and could use same route back). Owners, Martin and Andrea, were very friendly and helpful - made one of our apartments available at 9.30am on day of arrival to change, and provided late dinner for the late rail travellers on first evening. We had 2-room/2-bathroom apartments, which worked well for families, very spacious and very reasonable price. We took the half-board option - food was good, but not exceptional. Outdoor pool was a bonus in a hotel of this price. Would very much recommend.

Ski hire/boot purchase:

We made the mistake of going for the cheapest option via Alpinresorts, Hervis Sports. Whilst the kit was OK, two of our party had the skis wrongly fitted to their skis (to the extent that the boots would not actually go into the bindings - they clearly used the wrong boots). This happened on two separate days, so seems to indicate a level of carelessness. The boarder in our group had binding problems (although they did change these to be fair). Location is also not great. So, would recommend paying a bit more at other shops.

On plus side, two of our group had to buy new boots (ancient Lange boots disintegrated on day 1!). Gumpold Sports did a great job of fitting them, spending a lot of time, care and effort and guaranteeing the fit. A little more expensive than UK. Both are very happy with their new boots. On this basis, I would probably try them for hire in future.

Snow conditions/skiing:

We had a bit of everything during the week. Generally very warm (rarely below freezing at the bottom, but luckily not so warm as to rain). We started with sunshine, then a little fresh snow, more sun and them more snow on last day. We had some nice powder on Tuesday morning (got a bit heavy by the afternoon) - surprising how little got skied out. Had to be a bit careful off-piste as the cover away from the snow cannons is a bit thin - some rocks and trees to be found. Pistes are very reliant on artificial base - a few closed pistes that do not have cannons were pretty brown(including piste 68 - still have not managed to do that...). Piste conditions generally good, especially in morning when prepared (although there were one or two where they seem to have been using the work-experience boy to drive the pistey-beasty - especially Bernkogel, which was quite "ridgy" in the morning).

Epic bluebird day on Thursday (very warm in afternoon).

Although the lift queues were not bad, some pistes were extremely crowded - dangerously so on occasion. Possible to avoid the most crowded, but home runs could be pretty unpleasant in afternoon and very cut up at end of day. We took to having a late hot chocolate and skiing down after the crowds had thinned.

Best snow was generally on Leogang side, but also the most crowded. We particularly enjoyed the new blue at Leogang, which is a real high speed blast.

We got our money's worth out of the lift passes with an average of 22 lifts per day.

Fieberbrunn:

We went over to Fieberbrunn on Wed. Unfortunately, that side of the hill was foggy (as it was the following day, when it cleared in the Glemmtal - is this a regular issue?). So, did not really give it a fair go. We had some nice off-piste at the top, and the run back to Hinterglemm was fun (if a bit "tracky" at the bottom). We went all the way down to Fieberbrunn - top runs nice, but the long red 1c becomes bit of a track through the trees. Fieberbrunn itself seems to be a giant caravan park with some old lifts (we came back via the old-style split 5-can lifts - same as Kohlmais lift - never seen this kind of lift anywhere else - why would you design them like that??!). So, initial impression is that it adds some nice off-piste opportunities, but was not otherwise especially impressed - but would like to try again in better weather to see what it really has to offer. The bottom of the lift back up is not great - you have to either walk up some stairs or get a lift (which was out of order), and then it is a real scrum to get on the gondola, as you have people queuing from two sides - they really need to sort this out.

Lunch:

Overall good food (if always a bit samey) at good prices. We ate in: AsitzBrau (good, but a bit industrial), Rosswaldhutte (Excellent as long as you are not in self-service part), Alte Schmiede (same food as AsitzBrau, but feels less industrial), Panorama Alm (Really excellent, fantastic long lunch in sunshine, more interesting menu options than most - a bit more expensive, but justifiably so), Walleg Alm (not great - very loud and only adequate food), Reiteralm (good) and Luis Alm (new place on Bernkogel - OK, but very industrial feeling - good pizzas). Would also like to eat in Thurneralm - we stopped for hot chocs here on last snowy day and thought it looked really nice.

Apres:

We had children with us, so did not do any of the more hard-core après. A couple of fun afternoons in Goatstall (same as ever), we enjoyed the place at the bottom of the night skiing in Hinterglemm (got the full cheesy music bingo score here..., but seemed near double the price of any other place). A low-key surprise was the Sportalm at top of Reiterkogelbahn, where the owner started to play various traditional instruments (accordion, alpine horn and some kind of flat harp thing) and sing and yodel - rather charming.

Overall, a very enjoyable week. Will likely return again. We got lucky with the snow conditions, and weather was varied but OK. Only real negatives were the ski hire and the crowds.
latest report
Arriving into Hinterglemm on Saturday, and the current snow forecast is looking pretty good for quite a bit of Snow Sunday/Monday. (I know, I know, it's still 6 days away...)

Trying to decide if it's worth bringing the really silly pow skis. In the opinion of the local experts, is there the base to justifiably expect to get some decent off piste skiing with that forecast, and just as importantly, does it tend to get badly tracked out by lunch time?

(Oh, and anyone who fancies meeting up for some Pow skiing next week let me know, most of the rest of the group are not really going to be leaving the pistes)
latest report
@rg1, Thank you for the very interesting and useful report. I'm sure the creative travel options will provide pause for thought to a few people.

Interesting to read your comments about Fieberbrunn, which accords with the impression I've been getting from others (haven't really explored much over there myself). Apparently it has some catching up to do, with regard to the standard of both lifts and restaurants. Our current guests went over there today (in the course of a complete 66km anti-clockwise circuit of the Ski Circus); they commented that they found the runs to be generally steeper, narrower and busier than in Saalbach/Hinterglemm, and they were very relieved that they got on to the lift at the bottom just before the ski-schools at 10am.

Apart from the Asitz Braeu (which we find attractive if you go right down to the bottom floor or the rear sun terrace) and the Alte Schmiede, it sounds as if you used restaurants that we usually pass by. There is of course a huge choice, but our current favourites are the Hendl Fischerei (next to the Asitz Braeu), the Hecherhuette, the Bergeralm, the Westernstadl, the Wieseralm, the Sonnhof, the Hintermaisalm, the Grabenhuette, the Gerstreitalm and the Westgipfelhuette. We've also had good reports of the Xandlstadl, the Ellmaualm, the Sonnalm, the Simalalm, the Stoecklalm and the Forsthofalm. The Kohlmaisstub'n is also highly rated. The Thurneralm has an excellent front room - very cosy with a roaring log fire - and the service is friendly and efficient/quick, but for food we prefer the Bergeralm, which is only a stone's throw further on.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 25-02-16 2:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/_D14fMAMN6o&feature=youtu.be
snow conditions
A wee video from our week in hinterglemm a few weeks ago. Most of it filmed on our only sunny day - ie the day we left.
I've been to the Arlberg region around 8/9 times and always compare every resort to it. Glad to advise that Hinterglemm and Saalbach compared very favourably and already looking to book for next year.
We flew BA Glasgow to salzburg and was faultless. Great prices too. Used Salzburg limousine service for the taxi transfer - again totally faultless and a bit cheaper than the local transfer companies.
Stayed at the Rosentalerhof and would echo the points above.
Hopefully next year we will be there with more people as we did not take full advantage of the many apres venues on offer.
Overall I was really impressed with the area. The skiing really suited us as did the numerous mountain huts all over the place.
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/_D14fMAMN6o&feature=youtu.be

Where were all the other skiers? Hardly another soul around in most of this.
latest report
@boabski, Glad you enjoyed it - nice video - enjoyed watching it and working out exactly where you were.
ski holidays
@boabski, Very quiet compared to the following week. Nice carving... Wink
snow report
@boabski, I think your daughter needs one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/like-printed-Womans-T-shirt-Black/dp/B01APP7M9G/ref=sr_1_4?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1456388153&sr=1-4&tag=amz07b-21

@ster, huge area, not huge crowds. We were there last week in half term, and while it was busier, it was never crowded. Longest lift queue was at Schönleitenbahn when we mistakenly arrived at 10am to find 200 ski school customers all trying to get up the hill at the same time. but even that extreme was no more than 10 minutes, and less than 3 on other days when we timed it better.

Last year, half term coincided with Fasching, so many more Germans in town as well as Dutch, but the accommodation capacity plus parking for day trippers is still well below the capacity of the hills, so still not crowded. There are bottlenecks, and the learner areas can get busy at the start and end of the day, but its never at problem levels.
latest report
@ousekjarr, thanks. You've just cost me £15😃
The sunny skiing was on Saturday morning hence the empty slopes
ski holidays
@boabski, my 6-year-old daughter has one... fortunately it only applies to her mother for a year or three yet, while her 9 year old brother can just about keep up with me now Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy