Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2014/2015 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Merry Xmas all,

With what appears to be a belated sprinkling of white stuff on the webcams and temps dropping I thought this seasons thread should commence for us Saalbach/Hinterglemm lovers.

Hopefully TT and others in town can keep the news updated for those of us awaiting our seasonal visit

Wishing a very white Xmas and New year for all out there now
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The below is a ‘rough’ guide of some stuff that you may find useful. What myself and others may like, you may hate, so take it with a pitch of salt and most of all, enjoy Saalbach! If you come across anything useful, post a comment and I’ll add it to the below, so a ‘useful’ guide is always on page 1.
See below for a ‘basic’ map of Saalbach, pointing out some of the main features. Please let me know if you want anything adding.

Arriving in Saalbach
Most tour operators drop you off by the Schattberg lift (on the map as ‘bus drop point’). They then ferry you to your accommodation in smaller vehicles from this point. Opposite the road by the lift station is also where you can get the ski bus (free with a list pass) up the valley (to Hinterglemm) or down (to Vorderglemm). You have to pay for buses to Zell am See (if required).

Prices
Lift pass for 6 days (high season) cost = €233 (don’t forget you can use form 3pm the day before it officially starts. To be clear, if you buy the pass on Saturday to start for 6 days from Sunday, it will start working at 3pm on the Saturday)
Ski hire from Hansi’s (see map) in 13/14 was around €100 for top end skis - 7 days( using the secret discount code of mentioning ‘Richard Tatman’ recommended this place and mentioned that I may get a discount [20%]). We have been very happy with the quality of kit...especially the ‘black sheep’ hand made quality skis. Look out for the compulsory (free) schnapps even at 9am!
I’ll update this section as we get prices for this year but to budget, beers cost about €4 (0.5 litre) in most places but nearer €5 from what I recall in hinterhag and Goatstall etc

Learning to ski in Saalbach
The Mrs learnt to ski in Saalbach using easySki (which we can’t recommend enough – google them or you can find them on the main street on the left). We have used them each year we have visited Saalbach for private lessons. Saalbach is a great place to learn given the high number of blue pistes which is also good if you are skiing with someone that wants the ski the red whilst you take the blue, ending up in the same place.

So in terms of piste difficulty (beginning with easiest first and working up – not scientific at all!)
1. Very beginner ski area (see map below)
2. Turn 6er lift area
3. Piste 52 (red lift of 4 bubbles together to the right of turn 6er) – get out of red bubble at first stop and go back on yourself under the lift station e.g. keep turning right out of the lift station
4. Top part of piste 46 but lift 13 is a long T-bar (not so good for beginners)
5. Piste 4 on Schattberg side, go back to top on Limberg
6. Piste 2b – lovely long piste
7. Piste 37

On piste activities
First, Saalbach has its own pretty good ski app (available in itunes) which is very useful to download, even if it is to only to look at the webcams all day long, before your ski trip!
Registering your ski pass (once purchased) on an app like skiline.cc allows you to see where you have been during the day. It also stores your ski-movies...
...it doesn’t get much mention but in Hinterglemm half way down lift 38, is the BMW slalom course. Basically ski half way down blue piste 50 and you will see a slalom course on the left with a white BMW hut at the top. Present your lift pass on the scanner, take a deep breath and get ready to race (safely of course!). You can view the video of your performance on the skiline app mentioned above...along with the finishing time. It is seriously impressive (the video camera tracks your movement down the course and the videos stay on the site for a few years).
Saalbach piste markers / numbers are very good. You don’t have to worry about getting lost. Lifties are always very helpful.

Eating on piste
We have eaten at a lot of the mountain restaurants and yet to find one which we didn’t like (although won’t return to the one at the bottom of the BMW slalom course in Hinterglemm, overpriced in my mind). €20 a head gets you a very good meal. I highly recommend grostl (potatoes, bacon and egg) and Kaiserschmarrn (pancakes and apple / cherry sauce) – also if you want juice to rehydrate, try ski-wasser (ribena type – pronounced more like ‘shee vasser’).
I have to make a special note regarding the toilets – all excellent with particular highlights (in the mens at least) being Kohlmais stuber and Alter schmiede (you’ll understand when you have visitied!).
Top mountain restaurants – Alter schmiede and Asitz Brau (above Leogang) along with Rosswaldhutte (bottom of lift 43 above Hinterglemm) which has both a sit down restaurant and a self service area to the left.

Off piste activities
Drinking aside, Saalbach and Hinterglemm are missing a public swimming pool in my mind. You can ski at night in Hinterglemm using lift 38, along with renting a sledge from the bottom of lift 47 for night time sledging, also in Hinterglemm. Deposit is about €30 a sledge and about €7.50 to hire for the day / night. Starts from 6pm.

Those in Saalbach, need to get a ‘converted’ piste basher up to Spielberghaus which is €8 and €5 for the sled hire.
Apres is as good as they say, the hinterhag from 4pm is the best après venue that we have experienced. We love everything about it. Look out for the people sliding down the wooden stairs in ski boots (check out the curvature in the steps!). We are not great fans of Groatsall, instead preferring the bar at the bottom of the funpark / night ski area in Hinterglemm (can’t think of the name at present).
Taxis between Saalbach and Hinterglemm = approx €12 each way...or free on the ski bus if it is still running.

Last point, Richard Tatman is the king of Saalbach and I thank him for all his help and advice provided to everyone on Snowheads. Without him, I doubt we would have ever gone to Saalbach in the first place. Please see his very useful additions three posts down.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 26-12-14 22:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ross52477, yes agree a link to top tips etc is a good idea

Mr Tatman will be along soon I am sure and will give some links to previous stuff, I seem to have an issue trying to create a link to last yrs thread
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am headed out on the 3rd on Jan, so i think this is a great idea.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any newbie with a hunger for information on Saalbach-Hinterglemm and time on their hands would be well advised to wade through last season's version of this thread: "Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official Unofficial 2013/2014 Thread - It's Snowtime"

However, here are some collated top tips, based on previous seasons (hopefully nothing will have changed):
Ski Hire: Go to 'Hansi's Best-Price', next door but one to Bobby's Pub and (for a good discount) tell Hansi that I sent you
Ski passes: Obtainable quickly and easily from all of the village-centre lift stations - credit cards accepted. Photos not needed unless for a pass of 8 days or longer duration. Pass valid from 3pm the day before it's due to start, so enjoy some free skiing on the day you arrive. (Personal recommendation: go up the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn, ski around for an hour, working over towards the Wildenkarkogel, then head to the Bergeralm for happy hour - 3.30-4.30pm, then ski down to the Hinterhagalm for the après-ski party, after which you'll feel you've had your money's worth for a first afternoon).
Beginners/early intermediates: Rather than invest in a ski pass covering the whole area, consider buying a points card - load with say 1,000 points and it will give you innumerable rides up the nursery slope chairlift. Reload as and when necessary.
Nursery slopes: the small Kreuzkappelle nursery slope (next to our apartments) is ideal for getting those first ski-legs - gentle, uncrowded and free of charge. Progress onto the larger Turmwiese nursery area across the road.
Ski-school: Hansi (see ski hire above) can arrange packages including equipment and lessons. Furstauer and Snow Academy are the two biggest in Saalbach. Many British instructors work for them (although instructors tend to speak English whatever nationality they may be). Ski-school is for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Private lessons may be arranged with them or Zink ski-school. (I can provide contacts on request, i.e. British instructors)
Airport transfers: From Salzburg (nearest airport - a 1 hour 15 min journey) for up to 3 people, book with either www.holiday-shuttle.at (8 times a day door to door, every day of the year), or www.vorderegger.at (similar service, not quite so frequent, cheaper). For groups of at least 4, book a private transfer via the Holiday Shuttle website or a local taxi firm (typical cost EUR 150 - but negotiation down to EUR 120 may be possible).
Supermarkets: Billa, Spar and M-Preis (all take credit cards)
Banks: Raffeisen Bank, Volksbank Salzburg (holes in the wall at both)
Unmissable hard-core après-ski venues: Hinterhagalm (Saalbach); Goassstall (Hinterglemm)
Best mountain restaurants - probably the Alte Schmiede and the Asitzbraeu.
Best gulasch soup and steaks: the Hecherhuette
Best bacon and eggs and best apfelstruedel: the Bergeralm
Best pizzas: Wallners
Recommended restaurants (Saalbach): Bobby's for good, cheap pub grub, Hotel Peter for steaks and the Friday evening magic show, Schattbergstub'n, Kohlmaisstub'n, Del Rossi (but not for pizzas), Baeckstaettstall.
Recommended village bars (Saalbach): Bobby's, Underbar, Oetzi Bar, Spitzbub (possibly also Kuhstall and Mangos)
Nightclubs (Saalbach): Castellos, Taverne
Pole-dancing: Kings, Why Not
Favourite blue run: 68
Favourite red run: 61
Favourite black run: 14

That should be enough to get the ball rolling (and no doubt provoke some controversy!) Anyone is welcome to PM me their e-mail address for a copy of my fairly comprehensive guide to everything Saalbach-related.

Finally, after a poor start to the season, it started snowing seriously yesterday (Christmas Day) and an overnight blanket of snow has been transformational. With more snow forecast and temperatures set to remain low, there are prospects for the links to be opened and everything to be running normally fairly soon - obviously I'll report on developments.

(And we still have availability for the weeks commencing 10h January, 17th January, 7th February and 7th March!)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 28-12-14 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Echo ALL of the above, but for bars I also love the Zum Turn. It's a beautiful old building (a converted jail!) and very atmospheric inside - they have the nail game too.

Hinterhagalm and Goassstall are indeed unmissable. Make sure you grab some heart stickers from the Hinterhag.

The blue 68 to Viehhofen is one of the best runs I've ever skied, a superb rolling cruise - we also had fantastic snow on it.

The mountain restaurants are the best I've ever seen. The two mentioned by TT are like museums and are also HUGE.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Merry Christmas everyone. We've booked for Saalbach through Neilson and part of the deal was 'Standard boot and ski hire'. Does anyone know who Neilson use so that we can email the shop to see if we can upgrade? Also, has anyone managed to do this in the past?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've put a 'first' attempt guide by editing the second post on this forum (see above) - happy to add anything that you want or to correct any of my mistakes! Saalbach looks very white today, so all good news.

Peteman - no idea who Neilson use bu from my experiance in other resorts, we have always been able to 'upgrade' for a price (direct with the shop).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ross52477, You're too kind! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the comprehensive information, Tatman's Tours and Ross52477. We will be in Hinterglemm on 10 January - can anyone recommend somewhere reasonable (quality and price) for ski and boot hire up that end of the Valley?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would also say we were thoroughly spoilt by being shown around the mountain by Tatman's Tours, which made everything soooo much better! Wonderful skiing, amazing company, great fun and good times.

I just wouldn't want everyone to expect such special treatment!!

TT I'm sorry we're not there this season, but we WILL be back x
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HoneyBunny, You're also too kind! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going to Hinterglemm on the 10th Jan. I know the area well having visited many times over the years, but not since 2008. I have three questions though, that perhaps people could help with. Firstly, I believe the public pool has closed since I was last there. Given that I am not staying in a hotel with a pool, is there anywhere I could swim? Do any hotels with pools allow outsiders? Secondly, any ski-hire recommendations? And finally, and most importantly, my daughter, who will just have turned four, will be getting her first experience of skiing. Anyone any knowledge/suggestions for lessons for her, particularly as she is so young? Thanks for any thoughts you have.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from Saalbach. Unfortunate conditions but still had a good time.
When i am sober enough i will add some tips and suggestions. Shocked
Really jealous of anyone heading out there but you should have a great time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ianbradders, It was good to catch up with you, Ian - hope your family liked Saalbach, including the Hinterhagalm where our paths last crossed. It was a pity about the timing (it's now snowy and transformed from what it was only a few days ago - I even saw people skiing down the main village street last night!)), but at least you got more skiing than you would have in many other resorts.
latest report
+1 for being spoilt and shown around the whole of Saalbach by Tatman's Tours. Will almost certainly return there at some point. By the way HoneyBunny Mr Tatman spent much of the week discussing the shenanigans of the angry birds!
latest report
For the uninitiated and mystified, the 'angry bird' helmet covers, all in different colours, were invaluable for recognising fellow birds on piste and in lift queues and for keeping the flock together (- and we certainly spread our wings and flew down piste 68.) @Russeh, I'm sure that we must have missed a few bars, restaurants and pistes on our tours, but they will keep for next time.
snow report
According to snow-forecast there should be a foot of snow falling on Saalbach over the next couple of days so hopefully this should help get those final runs open.

By the way, is there a Saalbach thread on the "Snow Reports - weather - snow conditions" forums (I can't see one)?
ski holidays
@PeteMan, Looking out of the window (I wimped out today), I wouldn't be surprised if a foot of snow has fallen today!
snow report
@Colinthc, Welcome to Snowheads. Hinterglemm info:

The public pool has closed, but I believe that some of the hotels allow non residents to swim in their pools so just ask at reception or your rep if you have one.

Every second shop in Hinterglemm is a rental shop, so prices are competitive. Cheapest last season appeared to be Hervis, but there may be better prices available if combining rental with lessons.

The largest ski school with a well-run kid's school is Snow and Fun, located in the centre of the village. They do rental/school packages. If you are based at the end of the village closest to Saalbach, e.g at the Hotel Theresa, Johann or Talheim, then consider Alpin-Skischule who also have rental/school packages and a good children's programme.
ski holidays
@quinton,'s comment about some of the hotels allowing non-residents to swim in their pools triggered a memory from a few years back, when we had a couple of female guests who had worked out a formula for getting through the week - après-ski and detox on alternate evenings, the detox consisting of a prolonged session in the Wellness Suite of the Hotel Kohlmais next door to us. I believe that they paid EUR 10 each time for enough swimming and sweating to get them fit and ready for the following day's exertions - including the full evening's après-skiing!
latest report
@Russeh, shenanigans? Us? Toofy Grin
latest report
Bit of a tip for ski hire, this was in Saalbach but i am sure you could try elsewhere.
I was looking at hiring from Scharnagel going through the Alpinresorts website.
I usually use Hansi but as i was staying quite a way up from Kohlmais wanted Scharnagel as they have a free depot and they are opposite the Turm6er.
They appeared to offer a free child for every 2 adults but i couldnt get it to apply to my booking. When i emailed support they said it was only under six years.
I also emailed Scharnagel direct asking if they would honour the prices and give the free child place if i booked direct.
They agreed as they would save the commission that Alpinresorts normally take.
Printed the email and took it in. All sorted. Fair old saving.
If you dont ask you dont get.
Blush
ski holidays
@quinton, thanks for the response, and the welcome. Centrally located, so Snow and Fun looks favourite. Now just got to hope my daughter gets addicted to skiing first time so I can start regular holidays again...
snow conditions
After a relatively disappointing Christmas in Soll (returning to the Skiwelt but couldn't get to any of the places I wanted to), my attention turns to Hinterglemm which is where I'll be at the end of March. Long time to go but will keep an eye on the thread for any info.
snow conditions
@Colinthc, we are also in Hinterglemm on 10 January, staying at Alpine Palace. You?
ski holidays
@Big Dave, Alpine Palace in Hinterglemm has a branch of Snow and Fun onsite, and another next door under the Reiterkogel lift station. Goasstall is 100m above your hotel, just up on the piste.
ski holidays
@quinton, Thanks. looks lovely out there now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're heading out on the 3rd to the Pinzergaurhof in hinterglemm and cannot wait! First time in Austria in 10 years so very chuffed. I've watched all of the hinterglemm threads with massive interest and will be printing out a piste map before I go with a list of which runs to look make a point of visiting. Thanks for eveyone's input!
snow conditions
@Big Dave, staying very close to you at the Am Reiterkogel. Think they're almost next door. It (the Reiterkogel) has been done up since I last stayed there. In fact it's been done up twice since I first stayed there in the mid-80's. Back then half the hotel was obviously one of the oldest buildings in Hinterglemm, but like the lift system, everything is modernised regularly. And, like the modernising of the lifts, when it happens, some of the charm is lost, but you have to like the new luxury...
@wadgebeast, you barely need a piste map, just explore and have fun, there are no hidden surprises on piste, and you are safe in the knowledge that if you end up shattered at the wrong end of the valley, there's a free ski bus to get you home. A keen, bold intermediate wouldn't struggle on any run, even the blacks are manageable. Perhaps the only exception is the Zwolfer Nord, which can get icy, but it's not really a piste you would accidentally stray onto.
Given where you are staying, I would recommend in good weather getting along to the Hochalm first thing. It sometimes gets busy later on, but early morning it's great. Varied runs, gets the sun, with some decent off-piste at times. Also, go to Leogang at least once. The run down the Asitz can get busy, but it's a great rolling piste with over 1100m vertical and the magnificent Leoganger Steingebirge as a backdrop. Just make sure you leave plenty time to get back into the Glemmtal.
snow report
Quote:

Perhaps the only exception is the Zwolfer Nord

Actually, talking about this run, I always used to reckon that it was the stiffest challenge in the area; however there are a couple of cop-out, easy by-pass sections that take intermediates round the steepest bits at the beginning and end, and some major maintenance work was being done in the summer of 2013 on the narrowish bit just before you get to the really steep final drop down to the road. So it may be that I was mistaken in my initial opinion, or maybe they've made it easier - or maybe it was a bit icy the first couple of times I did it. Anyway, when the snow's good (and being north-facing it does retain the snow well), I now think that it's a really nice run for a competent intermediate, and probably no more difficult (allowing for the fact that the steepest parts can be avoided) than the other notable blacks, numbers 1 and 15. In fact I took Mrs TT (a cautious skier) down it last winter and she voiced not a word of complaint.
ski holidays
Ta for that, Tatman's, I've not been there since 2008, so will yield to your more recent knowledge. It certainly, to me, seems to be that the resort has a policy of giving black runs easier options if you wanted to take them. In my experience, the Zwolfer Nord was the only run I suggested my parents avoided, so if that's changed, it's no bad thing as it opens the full circuit up for more people, and those of us wanting the tougher options can still point our skis straight down the hill...
snow conditions
TT, it was unfortunate with the conditions but didnt spoil the holiday. More would have been nicer but lets not get greedy. Kids handled what we did no problem (mostly), wife not so much. rolling eyes
Colinthc, Personally the only run i would tell my lesser experienced/fitter companions to avoid would be 16 in Hinterglemm, steep and mogulled.
latest report
@ianbradders, Snow-wise, it's been from one extreme to the other in just a few days! You mean the Seekar red run? I'm a little surprised.
snow conditions
I see more snow has fallen and more on the way. Any sign of the remaining runs opening soon?
ski holidays
@PeteMan, Most of it's now open, and when the weather clears, as it is supposed to quite soon now, I expect they'll open everything - no apparent reason not to with the amount of snow that's fallen in the last few days.
snow conditions
What a change in a week, fantastic conditions off piste yesterday, light fluffy powder everywhere Very Happy I estimate around 70cm fresh above mid-stations.

[img][/img]
snow report
TT, sorry you are right. I should have said 15, the black from the top of Zwolferkogel.
Only done it once and that was when i was doing my solo circuit (sans cruciate ligament).
That was the only reason i tackled it as my mates wouldnt entertain it.

Happy new year to yourself and the family.
snow conditions
Right can everyone stop with the snow updates. Not helping when the credit card statements are arriving for my Christmas break. Shocked
ski holidays
@ianbradders, There was no new snow today - just a cloudless blue sky, bright sunshine and relatively empty pistes as people recovered from last night's NewYear festivities Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy