Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Official scores on the doors are 10cm in the village and 30cm on the Motte - some brave souls skinning up Double M from Val Claret Very Happy (Glad I'm not building the magic carpet in le Lac - looks a bit like a slushy hell!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Awesome first day back in resort. Fresh powder, small queues, sunny and stunning views Very Happy Very Happy

Hopefully the rest of the season will be as good as today Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got a long weekend planned for me and my son from 11th to 14th December. Ideally we'll go somewhere close to GVA but in the event the winter weather goods don't make it back in time from the southern hemisphere I have Tignes as a contingency plan. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Tignes for me and an 8 year old? We don't need luxury; just somewhere clean, warm and comfortable that hopefully does breakfast. Given that we will only be there 2 nights (we'll head back to GVA on Sunday as our flight is at 10:15) I have no desire to self cater.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know this was briefly discussed further up the thread but I'm not sure there was a conclusion. What's happened to the Rosset chair? I will be in Tignes in January with a group including a couple of beginners. I hope that there will be a Rosset lift for when they graduate off the Lavachet drag. Someone said it would be replaced by a magic carpet but surely not? How long would it take on a carpet to get to the top of the Rosset run?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TBH probably quicker than the rosset chair. It was very slow and I guess run that speed for beginners. Also meant it was very cold. The new magic carpet will be covered so much better for beginners.
If you look at the lac webcam you can see the new one put in by the toviere gondola. Will be the same design I would hazard as a guess.
T
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know the Rosset chair was slow but surely a magic carpet is even slower? And if it is to replace the chair it will have to be the longest magic carpet I have ever seen. I also wonder about the gradient. The top of Rosset is quite steep as nursery slopes go. Oh well I suppose I will find out in a couple of months time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like they are putting it on stilts to keep it nice and level. They have replaced the drag and the chair on the tete du solaise with the same systems and they are an important link. T
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And don't forget the double magic carpet on Solaise has replaced the Lac chair which got very busy - so not forseeing any snags with the Rosset - and it will be a lot warmer for those of us too lazy to walk to the Loop!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bogusman wrote:
I know the Rosset chair was slow but surely a magic carpet is even slower? And if it is to replace the chair it will have to be the longest magic carpet I have ever seen. I also wonder about the gradient. The top of Rosset is quite steep as nursery slopes go. Oh well I suppose I will find out in a couple of months time.

The new covered magic carpet is basically in the same place as the old carpet but just a little longer so you exit on the flat. The slope has also been graded to make it more of an even gradient.

The Rosset chair is being replaced with a new chair. Start & finish in the same place. The foundations are all finished and some of the pylons & head gear have arrived on site. No doubt next week they will be erecting Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stewart woodward, That makes more sense to me. Thanks. I look forward to riding the new chair in January with Little Miss Bogus.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aaaah - so they went for a chair - contrary to the myths put out a couple of years ago. I wonder if the old one was finally condemned?

As for the weather a chance of mainly light showers tomorrow afternoon - with the snowline somewhere between Val Claret and the Glacier - after that nice weather until the weekend at least. Its time for this warm autumn to buzz off!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pretty windy today, the cable car was closed all day & Champany closed for a while rolling eyes this lead to big queues on Rossolin in the morning but great after lunch when most people had gone home Very Happy Great snow made the waiting worthwhile!

Hopefully all the snowHead are enjoying their skiing Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like high pressure and nice weather are going to dominate for the next few days. Still going to be warm but there are signs of a gradual cooling next weekend. And as a long shot the Jetstream is showing early signs of moving south from about the 17th which should bring unsettled weather - but his is a long way off in met terms.

Meanwhile the magic carpet is coming long nicely in Le Lac, the pylons for the new Rosset chair are up and they have taken down the fences round the tennis courts and laid the tyres on he surface to protect them from over zealous piste bashers. This is a good sign that the locals think winter is on its way Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Couple of photos from the Grand Motte glacier.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob@rar, that looks so nice !!
Would have come along if work hadn't got in the way Sad
snow report
Lovely skiing up on the Motte today, great conditions and if you stuck to 3500 hardly any lift lines either.
snow report
Finally the Jetstream is showing signs of heading a bit south - jolly nice and balmy weather through the weekend but there are signs of an unsettled period mid week. Its certainly not mid winter but the snowline may reach the main villages. The long range forecast for the following week is very unsettled, which could mean a lot of wind and snow at height just as I arrive but confidence for this forecast is still low; if it comes off my cruise to the continent might be a bit bumpy Shocked
snow report
Another glorious day on the glacier Very Happy Great snow,warm temperatures & no wind.

Hopefully the current weather will break next week and we will get some lower temperatures & a bit of natural snow lower down rolling eyes
ski holidays
Exciting signs of a resort preparing for winter. Tennis nets are down, they've put out the tyres, and the little trees lining the road near the Lanches chair have been taken away.

New magic carpet is all finished and it looks like the new Rosset chairlift's nearly done as well. A bit of cannoned snow on Double M as well, just to remind the weather what it's meant to be doing soon..
snow report
I am out for the PSB etc. getting a season pass as I will be out for 8 weeks all at least. One of the weeks in Dec (13-20) I meet up with a group of friends at ClubMed in Val D'I. I am getting a EK lift pass for 6 days (14-19)as part of the deal and they won't give me a discount instead of the pass. It occurs to me there is nothing to stop me selling it at a discount to someone's and my benefit. Anyone in need of one or is this forbidden under pain of death
snow report
The snow is on its way Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A little bit different to my last prognosis but all firming up for this weekend - with Meteo F giving it a confidence level of 4 out of 5.

The skies will start to cloud over on Thursday and then through Friday all hell will break loose with potential for a lot of precipitation (but may be not as much as some of the digital aps are suggesting). There will be gales (glacier shut I would think) and the all important snow line on Friday will be somewhere between the glacier and VC but through Fri night it will drop to Les Boisses and by Sunday below Bourg. So the season may well be off to a start - just in time for the EK to open a week on Saturday (which is nice!). Hopefully all the work in the village will be complete and the pisteurs have a big brand new box of explosives as it looks like they will need it!

Mark that is forbidden - but only if you get caught. There won't be a picture on a 6 day pass so as long as you sell it discreetly to an adult male then all should be fine. wink
snow conditions
Thanks @chocksaway, thought that was the case.

Val T seems to be assuming that it will be a storm that will take a few days to recover from and are not opening on Saturday. At least the EK will have the week to get things ready after the storm.
At this stage of the game I would be happy with a good solid 30-50cm down to Val C and Le Lac.
I suspect this means another weak base
Out in the EK from morning of 28/11 to New Year. See you for a beer or 3 in a local hostelry
snow conditions
@chocksaway, The Rossett lift is progressing well but I cannot see it being completed & tested this week so lavachet nursery slope will probably be in action.
30-50cm of new snow and it will be 4/5 on the avalanche scale!
snow conditions
It rained at resort level last night which normally means snow on the glacier Very Happy but the freezing level must have been over 3500m as it rained all the way to the top of the glacier. This resulted in icy firm slopes everywhere. rolling eyes Sharp edges were required.
latest report
@stewart woodward, Hang on to yer hat - winter arrives with a bang through Friday night after rain up to 2400m tomorrow!
snow report
Everybody seems to be getting ready for this weekends snow Very Happy Tables have been taken in, race gates put away and most people anticipate a day in bed tomorrow Very Happy

The temperatures dropped enough last night for the snow cannons on Double M & piste H to be operated and the white dots just need joining up with lots of the real stuff.

The new Rossett lift is progressing but still along way off completion.
snow report
Glacier closed today Sad

Currently raining in village, hopefully snow soon Puzzled
snow report
Is there a public bus service between Tigne and Val d Isere?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stewart woodward, Enjoy the duvet day - looks a bit wild.

@Stephen59, Yes - The evening ones to repatriate those in the wrong valley are here:
http://www.mairie-tignes.fr/fr/information/69534/transport-stationnement
The other ones which form part of the service bus to Bourg are here:
http://altibus.com/documents/gares/9/navettes.pdf
snow conditions
Snowline down to about 2300 meters Very Happy

It is slowly getting white.
snow report
Keep reeling it down to that poubelle Stewart ☺
snow conditions
Tigski wrote:

The Poubelle has a covering Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@stewart woodward, is it starting to feel colder yet?
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
Tigski wrote:

The Poubelle has a covering Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing
ski holidays
Anyone know when the Rosset will be opened? If not ready for 10th Dec how is it in comparison to Lavachet?

Thank you!
snow conditions
@Floss, Main difference between the two is that the Lavachet beginner area has a drag lift and Rosset (when completed) has a chairlift. The slopes come together at the upper end forming a sort of inverted "V" shape. I will be most surprised if Tignes hasn't "got it done" by the official start of the season but I imagine these things have to be commissioned and signed off before letting the skiing public loose on them.

I still find it hard to believe that they managed to remove the old Aeroski and install the new Toviere gondola over one summer season.
snow report
@GeorgeVII, Thanks! Maybe we have been down Lavachet without realising, by turning left coming off the Rosset? Puzzled
Lets just hope this load of snow this weekend stays around snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Despite the longer drive from GVA, I'm beginning to lean more towards the EK for our weekend trip in December as I've learned that the WC races are on that weekend so I think it would be a good experience for me and Oscar to see them. However, accommodation in Val seems scare and/or expensive but I can get some good deals in Tignes, especially at the Gentiana Hotel. It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor and for what is the equivalent of £110 per night for dinner, bed and breakfast for both of us I'm very tempted.

Any views on it?
ski holidays
@Floss, yes, if you turn left off the top of the chair, the path takes you to Lavachet. There's a decent bar at the end too!! It was our daily end-of-ski beer stop when I stayed at the Hautes de Toviere hotel a few years back.
ski holidays
How's the poubelle looking? Just finished work and the webcams are done for the night Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy