Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm liking the the snow pictures although what's the word since last nights storm? Snow-forecast still saying 35km/h winds this morning!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowsam, That's the mean speed we are having much stronger gusts...... Its going to be a long morning for those waiting outside. The Millonex drag has just opened, expecting Tichot next at 10ish and then a gradual opening.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chocksaway wrote:
@snowsam, That's the mean speed we are having much stronger gusts...... Its going to be a long morning for those waiting outside. The Millonex drag has just opened, expecting Tichot next at 10ish and then a gradual opening.

Thanks!! I know a lot can change very quickly so I'm overly optimistic for Saturday when I arrive! Hoping for something far warmer than -17 Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm another one heading out to Tignes on Saturday. It's been a bit of a roller-coaster reading this thread over the last few weeks. Thanks to everyone for all the updates!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Currently sat with a cup of coffee looking out the window. Managed to last till about 2pm yesterday before it got really no fun. Looks worse today. But the snow is amazing so might have to try a couple of laps of the palafour😄
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooooh those chairs are going to be chilly today.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TBH not as cold as expected. Currently dumping big fat flakes snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Booked a last-minute trip to Tignes, arriving next Sunday! Often go later-season and am used to skiing in just a t-shirt under my jacket, might be an excuse to break out the thermals for this trip! snowHead

Been glued to this thread over past week, thanks for all the updates!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The temperature feels to have dropped and we ventured to le lac. Snow is fantastic we just can't see it. At one point today I couldn't see the end of my skis as the wind got up and we were in a whiteout. Only for a minute but frightening. Those coming out next week have no more worries. They are working hard and we have heard booms all day. Hopefully the winds will drop and we will get to ski more- very limited at present but joyous snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm coming out a week on sunday, I can't wait - sounds like the snow will be amazing!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NE1, you're right about not being able to see the snow - in fact difficult to see anything.
Wonderful wife was driving out this morning onto road between Lac and Val Claret when suddenly the car stopped moving. When she got out to investigate, discovered she'd driven into a snow drift. Just couldn't see it. She says road out of resort was scattered with vans and lorries stuck and skidding.
(Wife retired so out for the season in La Plagne - me still working to keep m'lady in the style she is accustomed, and won't be out until next week - when hopefully this wonderful crazy weather will have calmed down to allow some awesome skiing snowHead )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I might have to stop following this thread, I'm so excited to be going Saturday but so nervous with the weather. I feel like I've done a week just reading this!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still dumping snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rob_Quads, I have done a tour of most of the shops - I first went to Snowpark (lower end of the Palafour building) who had Solomon boots but not the same type you describe. The next 5 shops all said no and referred me to Snowpark!

A slow start this morning as described - it has snowed all day with various intensities and only the lifts below 2550m were open. A mate arrived from Geneva at lunchtime so we headed into the trees at Brevieres. The snow down to Boisses was fantastic - a bit lower and you could tell we were skiing on yesterdays slush. The queue in Brev were predictably long so it was the old chair up to Boisses and then the Boisse gondy, where they would have been no queue if they filled every gondola........

The weather forecast remains a lottery - but here goes: it will snow through the night and the wind will pick up creating more work for the pisteurs (buy shares in a French expolsives company!). The snow will gradually fizzle out in the morning and the winds should abate and we may just see the sun tomorrow afternoon for a while - but be careful the avalanche risk is still 4 - so that off piste slope may look tempting but be careful. Thursday will see the return of cloud snow and brisk winds around the resorts. Friday will see a mix of snow wind and sun in equal measure but the notable thing will be the drop in temperature - the freezing level will be down to almost zero, so the windchill factor will be high. Saturday should be similar and beyond that forecasting confidence is low but it shouldn't be quite so wild.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway - Massive thanks for having a look around. Wife has managed to order a set here which after your feedback so fingers crossed they will arrive in time.
snow report
jacknottm wrote:
Are loop bar doing happy hour this year? If so does anyone know what the deal on beer is?

Contacted Les Norris (and if he doesn't know, who does?). His answer:-

€15 for a 1.5l jug of Grolsch. 2 vin chaud for €7. €15 for bottle of wine. €14 for 3 jager bombs. 4-6pm daily.
snow report
Anybody know roughly how long Bens Bus normally takes from Geneva to Tignes. Arriving Saturday and scheduled to leave GVA at 12-35. I know that this journey COULD be seriously weather affected but just trying to get a rough idea.

Ta, G.
ski holidays
Groundhog day! Still snowing, still windy & the pisteurs are blasting once again Very Happy

It looks like this current weather pattern may be ending as a few forecasts have some sunny spells on the horizon Very Happy
ski holidays
First time I have seen -10 on my thermometer this season - winter seems to have arrived Very Happy

@GeorgeVII, Not done Bens from GVA so I don't know how long they divert to places for connections etc. I suspect it comes all the way, in which case 3.5 - 4 hours. You'll be here in time for a beer. Little Angel
snow report
Headed out to Tignes on the 30th Jan, staying in Le Lac. I need to book ski rental (already have boots, just need planks and poles), any recommendations? as there doesn't seem to be a link to any on the first post with the other links. Thanks in advance, and great posts here been following for the last week or two as my excitement builds for my coming trip.
snow conditions
anybody around from the 23rd and fancy a beer or a some snowsports then let me know. Im out on my own and wouldnt mind some company when im not in lessons.
ski holidays
@Spike - we are heading to Tignes Le Lac on the 30th too, and our group have booked their ski rental through Snowbrainer (I think Snowheads have a discount code which benefits this site).
This seems to be the nearest shop for Le Lac - http://www.snowbrainer.com/en/ski-rental/france/rhone-alpes/tignes-lavachet/precision-ski-tignes-lavachet
latest report
Excellent prices (it seems to me) - Dynastar Cham 87 or equivalent for £45 for the week.
ski holidays
Cold. Amazing snow and just saw some sun Very Happy
snow conditions
thanks @seano508, snowbrainer seems to have good prices. No sure if Clarey Sport http://www.snowbrainer.com/en/ski-rental/france/rhone-alpes/tignes-le-lac/ski-3000 is actually better option for me than the the one you linked to in Lavachet.
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Pics or it did not happen Laughing
snow conditions
cad99uk wrote:
Pics or it did not happen Laughing

Stopping and taking pictures would have been a waste of POWDER time Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Head cam video is acceptable.
ski holidays
And now for the more detailed account, luckily I employed a professional photographer today, OK that's the only fib.

After 25cm down here and 30 up there and high winds it was always going to be a slowish start and a grey one. Here's a picture of the view of the side door at the top station of the Funiculaire yesterday afternoon (courtesy of Tignes Twitter feed):

But shortly after 9.30 we were off. The first run up Palafour was in very poor light but you could tell the snow was good. It wasn't champagne powder but it wasn't Chalet Boxed White either - somewhere half way. The Chaudanne lift then opened and everyone had the same idea about heading to the trees, the queue was long so I suspect the queues for the Brev and Boisse gondola would be horrendous. As the line for Paquis was shorter we decided to man up and head high. A good run down the sides of Henri and Val Claret was deserted so Tichot and Grattalu it was staying within sight of the piste poles for safety and as a point of reference. To be fair the rides up Grattalu were brutal! In anticipation of a break in the weather we had a very early Aspen Burger at 1125, and headed up to the lower part of Lognan where there were many fresh tracks to be had:

Shortly after the sun broke through above the Grande Balme and then we could see what we were doing - it was just perfect. Can't remember how many laps......

It turned into a beautiful if cold afternoon - even at 1500 there were fresh tracks to be grabbed - here just off the side of Mur:

And then time for a rest but not before seeing some colossal avalanches in Chardonnet and Grapillon, someone had also ignored the advice of 'never go skiers left of the Tov Gondola' - I have not heard anything so assume someone was lucky, I suspect the previous tracks were wiped by someone triggering it from high Shocked Shocked

And that was that Very Happy

The not so good news is that after a clear night it will be snowing again by breakfast time and it will snow again all day. The wind will drop only to rise again in the evening - in the order of 20-30cm through the day so above 2200m the avalanche risk will remain at 4. The wind will persist through Friday and we will have very light snow showers and cloud through the day and it will be very cold in the wind chill. Saturday will again see light snow showers all day and it will be 'Froid de Loup' in the local vernacular (as cold as a wolf Puzzled ). After that all forecasting bets are off.
snow conditions
That does indeed look perfect. Thanks for posting.
ski holidays
What an afternoon snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Absolutely bloody amazing. Nuf said❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️
snow conditions
@chocksaway,
I heard the slide beside Trolles had resulted in a fatality, but can't see anything confirmed
snow conditions
A load of French schoolkids have been caught in a slide in Les Deux Alpes Sad
snow conditions
Luckily for us in Tignes the guy who ended in (yes in) the lake below Trolles surrounded by snow was rescued and required little treatment in the medical centre. One very very very lucky bear.

Heart goes out to the families of those in L2A.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, looking at webcam archive the slide by tov gondola happened between 13.40pm and 13.50pm
snow report
@chocksaway, a very lucky person indeed.
ski holidays
Awesome day with Andreas from alpine experience
Slow start but lots of lovely powder from funival - tignes this afternoon in the sun ..... Yes sun! ....
Great day ..... Lots of avalanche activity, under tommeuse and just down from folliex doux too this afternoon ...
Sad news elsewhere Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@thecramps, if you keep going you see the search team arrive and then the helicopter if thats the slide that took him into the lake
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy