Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
I'll try and find out if there is a forecast for the opening of the Brev sector - historically its the early teens of December - we will see if that has been expanded to Sat 12th. There won't have been much opportunity to make snow down in Brev so it may be the gondola down after this warm weather.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really interested about this Les Brev info as been sizing up a chalet for next week... but is the advice to stay away from here and look higher up...? Is there no way in / out?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are some nice deals in the Brev sector, but I've already decided to pay more and go higher.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocksaway wrote:
@HeidiAmsterdam, I know you are also looking at another thread so I won't repeat myself - but wherever you go in Tignes there is never far to walk if its not strictly ski in/out, but avoid Brevieres and Boisses (1800) as the lifts will not be open next week if recent history is anything to go by).

I'm in Les Boisses at the moment and there is no reason to avoid it. The lifts are not open from here yet but there is a free bus to and from Le Lac (serves 1800 also).
The run back from Chaudanne are pisted but closed. Some from the hotel have done it but the snow cover is very thin and there are reports of damaged bases.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @Ray Zorro, but just to underline those buses that take you to Boisses do not go to Breviere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jimmymalloy, it is probable cheap for the reason you are experiencing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, @Ray Zorro, quite happy to get the gondola down, it's the getting up bit I was more concerned about!

I'm awaiting a reply from Chalet Chardons (we're staying with them at Hattiers) about what plan B involves, I'm hoping that they'll have a van available to run us up to the centre of Tignes in the morning if there's no other access. Guessing that may be quicker than the lifts anyway?

When I booked two weeks ago they said the chalet staff were able to ski to the lifts.... Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
head_like_a_rock wrote:

I'm awaiting a reply from Chalet Chardons (we're staying with them at Hattiers) about what plan B involves, I'm hoping that they'll have a van available to run us up to the centre of Tignes in the morning if there's no other access.

Most of the Chalets will arrange lifts up & down until the lifts open.

Quote:
When I booked two weeks ago they said the chalet staff were able to ski to the lifts.... Sad

Probably correct, they just didn't mention that the lifts are closed Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stewart woodward, to be fair they did & I did realise that! Of course there was snow then (27 November)...now, not so much...

Given the price I've paid I'm not really grumbling. As is often said on here, there's no such thing as a bad ski holiday... snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drum Roll.......
The plan is to open the bubble from Brev on Saturday but it has not been confirmed by STGM (cheques in the post etc wink ), the rep I spoke to suggested that people will have to download in the bubble though as the snow cover is limited. As for the slopes around Boisse I will leave that to @Ray Zorro, though I will have a shufty when I go shopping later in the week.

Today was another glorious day with the exception off the odd bit of cloud brought over from Italy by the Foehn wind - the Panoramic on the Glacier disappeared for an hour or so though it was sunny both above and below. Today 3 of us set off for a charge around the Palet sector where the snow is still good above 2200m, just the odd ridge has become 'scraped' especially where a lot of artificial snow has been laid. Likewise the Bellvarde/Grand Pre slopes are still in fine shape above the Folie Douce.

As for the forecast, tomorrow temperatures will be similar but there will be a bit more cloud about. The cloud will increase late in the day as a front approaches. We may be lucky and get a few flakes but it is a weak weather system and looks like it will pass to the north of us. Wednesday will be a little cooler and should be a nice day. Thursday looks like another warm and sunny day and then sunny periods for the weekend, gradually cooling down. Next week looks more unsettled and should bring some long awaited fresh snow, but it is too early to give any precise detail wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Posted in the solutions room...

will keep you posted.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, I'm only out on a Mountainsun 3 dayer - back home tomorrow.

You're the resident expert.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, great, thanks for the update!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eek i hear the Borsat and funiculaire are closed due to technical problems? Any local update on this?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another smashing morning Very Happy
@Floss, Not heard anything particular about those 2 - things break down - just ask the good folk of Chamonix that had to be rescued from a chairlift this weekend.
@Ray Zorro, In my previous life expert was defined as "ex" = former and "spurt" as a drip under pressure wink Bon Voyage!!

Edit: Borsat is now working but the Funiculaire 'suffered a mechanical failure on a piece between the carriages' (the rest of the explanation has disappeared behind the paywall in Le dauphine and the bloke on the radio is speaking at DJ speed!) on Sunday. No one was hurt and everybody was evacuated. An official inspection is being carried out.
ski holidays
@chocksaway,Bit of cross-threading here but did I read correctly that a T.O. is running L'Arbina?
ski holidays
@chocksaway, if the funiculaire is closed and websites sayin access to glacier is via chairlifts...does that mean you can access the cable car too as a pedestrian?
latest report
Espace Killy snow is great at the moment - skied 5,6,7 December and found it much better than we'd expected given no significant new snow for a while.

Good skiing on most lower runs too - eg fine down to La Daille at 1800m; some worn/thin bits here and there; generally excellent at altitude; superb on highest runs.

Pistes very quiet and lovely weather too.

Pics later Very Happy.
snow report
@Floss, No. You need the Funicular to access the cable car. You need to take 2 chair lifts to get to the same place and skiing is required between the lifts
snow conditions
Hmmm let's hope then it is fixed soon. We came to Tignes 2yrs Ago and never made it to Grande Motte. Were hoping to when we arrive tmw to Saturday. And we have a non skier in the group. We may just have yo return another time if not!
ski holidays
Floss, No, you would need to be on skis. The top of the first chair (Lanches) doesn't match up with the bottom of the second one (Vanoise).

It is also a rather long walk down from the Panoramique restaurant to Val Claret, you can't get either chair down.
snow report
@rjs, Thank you
snow report
@GeorgeVII, Yip, Danski took over the whole block from the family, the restaurant is open on a lunchtime but is really there to act as a chalethotel for Danski. The Brasserie is just about as it was, I suspect paying off the long term all year staff was prohibitive.

Just a few clouds this morning which soon retreated back to Italy, and as I type no sign of the approaching clouds from the west. So another spring like day in the Espace Killy. Today's adventure took us to Le Fornet, the snow on the way there is still in good condition but the condition of Plan under the Solaise chair (the big wide bit) looked distinctly scraped and brown. The first shocker was the condition of the Le Fornet valley between the top and bottom of the Gondola, it is marginal with lots of bare patches - and only one run down, to be avoided till it snows again. The snow on the Le Fornet Glacier is superb though and worth the travel. Returning via the Solaise, again the snow is great above the Tete De Solaise restaurant:

But having had a 'recce' of the next bit, here we have a slightly more unconventional view of Piste Plan:

From the old military adage - time spent on recce is never wasted. Also, you can see how full the Lac Du Chevril is.

Meanwhile preparations are going apace in Val for the races, here's the arrival area and grandstand:

And here are the evil course preparers injecting water into the slope to make it a bit more icy, and when mere mortals are allowed on the hallowed snow just to make sure MediVal are kept occupied!!

Sorry for the quality - but there are no open windows on that side of the bubbles!!

Again, the return home around Piste Henri and the Palet Sector were absolutely fine with just the occasional mild hazard to avoid.

At some stage tonight, the sky will cloud over and the end of the front may just pass close enough to send some flakes - but not much. It will be very cloudy in the morning, but the sun will return by late afternoon. The temperature will drop a bit. Thursday will be much like today with sun and a slight increase in temperature. Then sunny periods for the weekend and into Monday before a change to unsettled weather - as to how unsettled it is still too early to give details but snow is on the way.
snow report
Any numbers on how "full" Tignes is (% occupancy) for the week beginning 12th Dec?
latest report
@chocksaway, thanks for the mention of Le Fornet - nearly booked something that way. Glad I didn't.
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
Any numbers on how "full" Tignes is (% occupancy) for the week beginning 12th Dec?

Probably about 25%. No students this year so should be quieter than usual.
ski holidays
Questions for people who know the area well.@stewart woodward, ?@chocksaway, & ?

Just getting ready to book, and have two choices, both the same price. Alpaka Lodge - prefer it for it's central location or Chalet Le Bullou in Les Brevieres. The Chalet would be a more upscale experience, Alpaka better location. That is known. The question is, how much of an issue is the location, given:

- I'd rather just get out and ski and not faff around
- We have a non skier, can we expect to swing back around for lunch or meet for lunch if we stay Alpaka? Seems to be pretty much out of the question for the Chalet. The way I see it (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems like you leave for the day and don't back to the end of the day in the Chalet. One end of the resort, bubble will probably be open, but not the accompanying piste. Some days we like to be out all day, and other days I may take a bit of break and let the younger and energetic ones lap around me a few times - like first thing in the morning, and I'm thinking the Alpaka would easily allow for this.
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Questions for people who know the area well.@stewart woodward, ?@chocksaway,

Alpaka Lodge or somewhere similar in Le Lac would be my preference. No messing about, easy to leave/get back to for lunch time meeting. The non skier will be able to walk around the lake, shops (aargh!), visit the Wellness centre etc much easier. If they fancy meeting you in Le Brev one day it is easy to take the free bus to Boisse & walk for about 15 minutes to Le Brev.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
does anyone know why the new rosset lift was moved slightly further up the hill and not in the same place as the previous lift??
snow conditions
@TOOTIE, I think that area will be built on to provide a nursery for the local kids - with a few apartments above no doubt. The last bit was a bit flat any way . Also it willh have the added benefit of making those chaps in red work a bit harder as they spend less time on the lift. wink

@HeidiAmsterdam, Another vote for the Alpaka given your requirements and the snow status at the moment. Your nonskier would have little to do in Brev - there's only so many coffee bars down there. Le Lac as SW says has got lots. On the down side you may bump into me and SW in the Alpaka Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, we'd all stay in the same place - Le Lac area just seems like less faffing.

Being in Le Brev you really out on a spoke - and have to go to the middle at begin and end of the day... ugh.

He won't be shopping, unless there is a good book store. Anyway, he is supposed to be working, and if he's not, he'll hear from me, because if he doesn't work, then he could have done that in the states - where there is loads of snow!
ski holidays
thanks for the update
snow report
Thanks @chocksaway, and @stewart woodward,

Your guidance has been very helpful - esp given I've not been, and trying to figure it out from behind a screen.

Posh + location + smart price would have been ideal. Location + smart price it is.

First beer is on me! I hope there is a top up. Got the kids new ski's, should have been for Christmas, but as we celebrate Sinterklaas in Holland December 5th, I was just practical about it and gave them their new kit for Sinterklaas. Now, how to not ruin it their first day out! They both got reasonably fat, all mountain twin tips.

And I got us the very fancy SWIX quick release ski poles, there massively discounted in the states this summer. I think I paid like $14 a pair, but the sizing seems to be off. 120 cm should have been good, but I think they are actually 125 cm, so will need to visit a ski shop and have the cut off the top or something.. They got new ski outfits - matching Hestra mittens - coordinating fleeces - they will be all matchy-matchy and warm. Ready for the cold which should come at the high elevation - so bring it on.
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Questions for people who know the area well.@stewart woodward, ?@chocksaway, & ?

Just getting ready to book, and have two choices, both the same price. Alpaka Lodge - prefer it for it's central location or Chalet Le Bullou in Les Brevieres.

Another vote for the Alpaka.
Speaking of which, the TDC lads and the Alpaka (plus a big help from the seasonaires) raised a good chunk for charity last night.
Low cloud and drizzle type snow outside at present - I'll nurse my (thanks Alpaka & TDC) toffee vodka head for a wee while before venturing out.
Saw a large avalanche whilst on the Grand Huit chairlift just past noon yesterday, right underneath the chair - spring conditions!
latest report
Might have to try the Alpaka on Friday or Saturday as we are only next door at the Gentiana. Very Happy
snow report
Alpaka nice. Accom is now run by Ski Val. Assume Sander and Jill still around. Will be paying a visit at some point. In Val but taken a few days off. Swollen knee. Wear and tear, joint stable. Exercises, icing and compression. Really annoying as was having a ski clinic with tdc this week. Having to cancel rest of week.
snow report
@Kenzie,
Spring conditions and avalanches... oh my - let's hope for a slow cooling down and get that base in order

@Gaza, We arrive Sunday, if you are still around give a shout for a beer - because you know that when more than one snowheads meet up, it's called an "event" Smile

@Mark1863, same goes for you, give a shout, we will arrive before noon on Sunday. DD#2 has a play until around 4pm on Saturday, then we are hitting the road. Busy packing up as we speak, only dropping in to give myself a break. We will stay at least until the following, Sunday, possibly longer if the snow powers continue look in dismay at the Southern Alps... We are out for a total 3 weeks skiing, with car, chasing snow, when there is snow to be chased.
ski holidays
@HeidiAmsterdam, our plan is to ski on Sunday and then drive to Geneva when the slopes close as we have a flight at 10:15 on Monday morning. I would rather spend 3 hours driving on Sunday night than get up at 04:00 on Monday. Sad Sad However, depending on how we feel we may eat in Tignes and then drive so we may well meet up. snowHead
latest report
For those like me staying "out on a spoke" wink in Les Brev next week, I spoke to Chalet Chardons yesterday & they've also been told by the lifties that the Sache bubble will be running from Saturday. Will also need to use it download as runs back to the village are not surprisingly rather patchy.
latest report
@Gaza, Don't forget to let me know likewise@HeidiAmsterdam,

Well this morning was hideous, luckily I had read my own forecast had a lie in and went to Bourg! There was a couple of cms overnight. It was snizzling in resort - we were in cloud and it was damp. The snizzle turned to drizzle just below Boisses. There were eventually some sunny periods on high.

On the way down I tried to inspect the pistes at Les Boisse but the hill fog was so thick I could hardly see the end of the bonnet! Shocked However, Brev was out of the cloud so here is a pic from the road:

Difficult to tell the depths and you can't see the runs from top to bottom. But I could see that they have been pushing snow about to make a nursery slope. More importantly, if you look closely, you can see them testing the Sache Bubble - so hopefully that confirms what @head_like_a_rock, was told. If there are barriers directing you not to ski a slope then don't ignore them!! Whatever the snow conditions look far better there than they do in the Chaudannes at Meribel on Thames!

The Rosset chair now has half its chairs on - so another day of works I should think followed by a few days of testing and hopefully we should be off.

A Brit had a lucky escape in Val yesterday - details are sketchy but it looks like he fell in a building site and was found yesterday morning with hypothermia, the paramedics managed to warm him up and he is recovering well. Had the weather not been unseasonably mild I suspect the outcome may have been a lot more tragic.

The skies will clear tonight and spring will return tomorrow with sun all day and mild temperatures. Friday and Saturday will be similar followed by sunny periods on Sunday and Monday when it will be noticeably cooler. Later on Monday it will cool more and low pressure and unsettled weather should replace the high pressure with snow down to 1800m by day and 1100m by night on Tuesday. The detail is still sketchy, but with the current forecast it will not be the epic dump we are waiting for - but enough to improve things. The rest of the week looks changeable.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy