Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm over for a week or so, hoping for some Spring skiing. After a few off piste lines yesterday morning, I hooked up with a few locals and did a bit more. Lovely. See how the weather is tomorrow.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey@chocksaway, great photo! Good to put a face to the name!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sache was good today. Soft moguls in the gulley, superb above. Everything open still loads of snow. Tomorrow forecast looks a bit ropey pm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lynnecha, You should see my better side wink

Having read my own forecast I decided to do some more end of season chores, a quick check over the chariot to get me home, clean the freezer, go to the gym and have a quick look round the sales (a €500 look as it turns out!). For those on the slopes the forecast was a bit out as the trough headed north and dumped heavy showers over Lyon. The snow didn't really arrive until about 2 o'clock and it was quite light. So I suspect some people had a good 3/4 days skiing. However, it is now hailing and looks thoroughly miserable down on the snow front for the last of the Francon Folies concerts. I can hardly hear it because the hail is rattling off my velux windows.

But here's a pic of the concert as I went to the pub (support act):

And on the way back:

The snow will continue into the early hours of tomorrow morning, so still hopeful for that 10cm or so. The sky will then progressively clear to leave a nice day with a few clouds around the peaks and maybe one or two down the valley. Friday looks like another day of sunny periods and maybe a breeze at altitude. Saturday will be similar but it will be windy at altitude and a good few degrees warmer. The following 3 days are currently forecast to be a mixture of sunshine and thundery showers, if these happen by day the snow level could be higher than 3000m, so lets hope they are few and far between. As ever with a thunderstorm there will be gusty winds around if you catch one, but if you arrive at height just after one there may be a few cm of powder - but not for very long!

Late breaking news (1645 hrs) - it is now snowing heavily!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just taken a photo (1700hrs) - it would appear winter is back, now where are my powder ribbons?

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, snowing hard in le lac. Boot phaf today so not so much skiing, but usual spring conditions. Perhaps a little warmer overnight at village level.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow is falling Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice to see a bit of fresh snow to cover up the dirty snow.
We're arriving friday night for 4 days skiing, staying down in Les Boisses at the Melezes.

We're spending friday daytime in Geneva, did that once before but was a Sunday. Geneva is closed on sundays Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neville wrote:
Nice to see a bit of fresh snow to cover up the dirty snow.
We're arriving friday night for 4 days skiing, staying down in Les Boisses at the Melezes.

We're spending friday daytime in Geneva, did that once before but was a Sunday. Geneva is closed on sundays Very Happy

At the Melezes now - still snowing Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a day! between 10 and 15cm of new snow, blue skies, sunshine and fresh tracks for everyone. As ever at this time of year the snow soon consolidated on all but north facing slopes, the early bird got the worm. But we decided to work for our turns, we had had a big day tour planned so off we set up to the top of the Palet Drag and skied down towards Plan de Janin:

We merged with another group a bit close to Plan de Janin and shared a slope:

We also shared their guides trailblazing (even a few cm of snow makes it harder work) as we worked up Les Aimes and passed Lac Verdet. After some European bonding the two groups split and we headed towards appoint just above Col de la Grassaz, where the view of La Grande Casse was just stunning:

Here's another view of yours truly (with less clothes on than last time at the same point looking towards the north face of the Grande Motte (you can just see the cable car station above and to the left of the sun glancing off my solar panels):

It was then time for the grand descent, this is what it looked like before we launched:

And this is what it looked like afterwards:

We then had the climb back to the refuge for lunch (obviously) and the up to the Col du Plaet and home. In total 2hrs and 30 mins of skinning and 600m up.

So what can we expect weather wise, it will cloud over tonight and tomorrow will start cloudy at most levels but we should get a glimpse or two of the sun in the afternoon, but the wind will start to pick up mid afternoon. Saturday will be made up of sunny periods with the chance of a light shower in the afternoon (snowline 2500m) but the wind will be the main feature - strong and gusty. This wind will continue into Sunday where forecasts vary but showers and fast moving sunny periods. For Monday the levels of confidence in the forecast are low but showery with the potential for a thunderstorm or two is the best guess. Throughout the snowline will vary depending on the time of day but during the day it will be in the range 2200-2500m.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lucky Boys!! Nice pics chocksaway. Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GeorgeVII, I thank you sir!

After the exertions of yesterday, today was a gentle stroll round the pistes to get some fresh air after an end of season curry night..... There were patchy clouds at most levels and some were just thick enough to give a light shower of snow grains on high, and some annoying drizzle down low. The snow up towards the Grande Motte is in excellent condition and even down to La Daille there are only a few small bare patches below the Triffolet Restaurant and very few stones, which is unusual for mid-April. So there is plenty of snow for anyone planning a least minute getaway.

Tomorrow will be similar to today in terms of cloud, glimpses of the sun and some light showers (snowline about 2200m) but the wind will be much stronger and gusty at altitude, an extra layer perhaps? Sunday will be similar but the wind speed may pick up even more and there is a slim chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon. Monday should be much more benign with sunny periods in the morning, the sky should cloud over in the afternoon. Tuesday looks smashing, sunshine all day. On Wednesday there will be a few fluffy clouds and the temperatures will rocket - the freezing level will be well above the top of the Grande Motte, so a day for skiing early and retiring to the terrace for a beer or 3.

For the fliers tomorrow: the UK could be summed up as gray and damp, with some heavier showers in the afternoon; there is even a chance of snow at Sir Geoffrey Boycott International (LBA) before breakfast, I don't see this causing too much hassle. Over here, there will always be the chance of a shower, again no problems; but Lyon and Geneva are forecasting a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Thunderstorms and aeroplanes don't mix so if you are unlucky there could be a bit of holding until the shower moves away. As ever with thunderstorms there could be a bit of turbulence around.

And finally, Sunday is the Annecy Marathon around the cycle tracks around the lake (the transfer route of choice to Geneva). This used to cause absolute havoc, but the tracks have now all been tunnelled under the road. But there will still be big delays, having spoken to Monsieur SnowstarTransfers he will be going the long way round via the Motorway as should any of the professional transfer companies, so if you are in a renter do the same!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Might bump in to you next week @chocksaway, Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was up at the bottom of the GM cable car this morning. Closed. One of the staff told me it was due to high winds and it would be closed all day. I looked up and pointed out the high level clouds were hardly moving. He then said the visibility was bad. Looked a little grey but not that bad. Only one cable car at the moment. Don't know the reason and then it would seem they could not be bothered to run it. Couple of black marks for STGM. Pretty poor.
Skiing below that point in the whole of the EK was increasingly hard work due to sludge. The skis not running consistently in many places.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes very sticky snow after yesterday's excellent conditions. Someone was saying here that these are the deepest snow conditions for mid April for 10 years.
Skied the piste Perdue today. Only had to take my skis off once where there is a short rocky bare patch near the bottom. Still my favourite run! Spotted a large Avalanche from yesterday across the cugnai off piste run.
ski holidays
After quite a heavy snow shower over breakfast there was more than enough light to ski around, there was a sharp wind at altitude but the new snow above 2800m allowed us a few shallow fresh tracks. The pistes soon softened so its definitely the time of year for an early finish.

The wind has now decided to die down overnight but tomorrow will be cloudy and showery all day. There may be the odd glimpse of the sun from the highest bits of Tignes-Val D'Isere. The snowline will start the day at 2300m dropping to 1800 by the time the lifts close. There is a chance of a thunderstorm around the middle of the day. The wind returns for Monday and after snow showers at dawn it should be a day of sunny periods but the air will be markedly colder. On the other hand, Tuesday will be very warm and sunny before Wednesday and Thursday get even hotter with sunny periods and the risk of a thunderstorm in the afternoons.

Tomorrow will be a benign day weather wise for flying in the UK, over here not too bad but there is always the chance of a sharp shower with a gusty wind, it will be bumpy around them. Also, there is still a chance of a thunderstorm almost anywhere over here. For those driving or being driven to Geneva - don't forget the Annecy Marathon!
snow report
@chocksaway, Our small group, part of a larger group, arriving tomorrow for our annual end of season trip to Val. Have been in April for the last 25yrs +. Many thanks for your updates re weather. Hope we might find some spring before it all melts! Very Happy
snow conditions
A mixed bag today in all respects. At 2100m, we have had snow, rain, sleet and the odd hint of the Sun! There was a lot of layers of cloud and normally I wouldn't venture out, but you have to really go skiing on your 'significant day' wink if you can. So we tried to dodge the layers and ventured up the Grand Motte where there was about 10cm of new snow, it was also warm and windy. So there were a few freshtracks as the hill fog ebbed and flowed. Also up the Col de Ves there was some really nice snow. Down lower there was some knee snapping glue and slush!

The showers of snow/rain/sleet will continue into the evening. Tomorrow looks like sunny periods on the morning with ore snow showers in the afternoon, it will be a good 4 or 5 degrees cooler so any precipitation over Tignes-Val D'Isere will be snow (thankfully). There will also be a gusty wind at altitude, however we are sat on the edge of a weather system so almost anything could happen. Spring will reappear on Tuesday, the temperatures will rise by 8 degrees and the sun should shine all day. Summer will arrive on Wednesday as the temperature goes up another 4 degrees (up to 18 degs C in Tignes Les Brevieres!!). It will only refreeze at the highest altitudes on Tuesday night, so expect a slush fest lower down. Break out the bikinis! There will be a bit more cloud about on Thursday with a chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon.
snow conditions
Did a Vallon yesterday.

Snow varied from wind blown powder at the top through crust to heavy spring snow then mush in the forest. Still great and a huge amount of snow right down to fornet 1000m below.

Left this morning in heavy rain. Looks like more heavy snow at altitude.
An excellent week of April skiing. Hope everyone enjoys the last couple of weeks of the season there.
snow conditions
Well folks its that time of the season again, the big clean followed by the Grand Depart tomorrow Sad . But out of the window, it was a much cooler day with sunny periods and the odd shower, it then started snowing continuously around 2.30 pm.

These showers will continue into the evening and there will be a gusty wind. Tomorrow looks like the best day of the week, blue skies and sunshine and a lot warmer than today. Wednesday will be tropical with sun in the morning and fluffy clouds building around the peaks in the afternoon. Thursday is probably going to be cloudy and windy all day, but still very warm. Showers, with a snowline at 2000m should start late afternoon/evening. Friday is currently forecast to be miserable with precipitation all day, the snowline will rise from 1900m to 2800m before falling back in the evening.

So still lots of snow for a late booking, I hope anyone that is left or is coming out has a great time.

Thanks for flying Chocks Airlines this season, I'll be back periodically if anyone has any questions and hopefully there will be some reports in the summer from in resort if all goes to plan. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@chocksaway, thanks for all the info !

One last question, do you know if there are designated areas for snowkiting in Tignes ? Is it allowed ?
By snowkiting, I mean this :

as opposed to parapenting or speed-flying, or anything else involving skis/snowboard & foil !
ski holidays
@chocksaway

Thank you for all your reports this season. Have a safe journey back to the UK. You will be in time to watch the Tour de Yorkshire. Hopefully see you in Tignes in August.

Smile Smile Smile
latest report
@chocksaway, Thanks very much for all your reports this season. They were a good mix of snow and ski reports, snow forecasts, local news, and flying conditions. Great stuff.

Have a safe trip back and a good summer.

chocksaway, cleared for takeoff.
snow conditions
@billytbar, Not sure is the answer, as I have only come across speedriding which seems to have a bigger wing. I have only seen that done off piste, most often in the are near Grand Pre in Val. The best guys to ask would be the pisteurs of Evo2 who seem to do the vast majority of the speedriding lessons.
snow report
@chocksaway, Thanks for all the updates this season, much appreciated. Safe journey home!
latest report
Safe journey @chocksaway, and a great summer in Yorkshire. We look forward to picking up again in the Autumn. Thanks for all of the great posts. Smooth flying.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, thanks for this years updates, even though I haven't been out to Tignes this year, keeps me in touch with the place.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Out of interest, in the tour you described above, where did you turn around to head back up to the col ?

Safe journey home Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, thanks for your weather reports, they are always the first stop for me when I am in Tignes. I'll look forward to going again next year but I'll be reading your blog well before that!
latest report
@AndAnotherThing.., If you go to Google Maps satellite view we skied down from the Palet Drag past the refuge, to the west of Lac De Grattaleu down to the plain to the north west of Lac de Grattaleu (and the north east of Lac Verdet) you can see a gully just at the northern edge of the flat bit. We then skinned up to the col de Grassaz past Verdet and skied the reverse route and then up to the refuge.

I suppose I have to say don't do it unless you know what you're doing and its a nice day - otherwise I might get arrested by ESF for teaching!

Currently in Troyes - off to the pub.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Bit of a schlep to the "Embu" from there Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Just like to add our thanks for the updates and weather reports.

Really enjoyed getting out for a ski and a beer or two. Safe journey back to the other GOC wink
latest report
@chocksaway, great reading this season and thanks for all the updates
snow report
@chocksaway, ta, I've got the blue maps too so will have a look.

Promise not to tell the ESF Wink
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., In that case as the maps have more detail, the northern end of the Plan de Janin (you can just see the gully from the contours) is where we turned from skiing northish to skinning south-west ish!

Thanks to all for the comments,

@GeorgeVII, Laughing
ski holidays
@chocksaway, +1 thanks for all the info and news...enjoy your summer!
snow report
20 April 2016. Spent Tuesday in Val D'Isere and Tignes finding plenty of fresh untracked powder!

Managed seven classic routes in one day. Powder on almost all the routes all day! Excellent fun.

For more details about the routes see the Val d'Isere and Tignes 2016 Album on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Great spring conditions right now. Get out here if you can and enjoy the fresh snow with more on the way! We hope!!
snow report
Just thought I would let any folk heading out here this w/e conditions and particularly coverage are still great. We had some great spring this morning. Run to Brevieres is still doable although it was rather wet mashed potatoes at the bottom - all the restaurants down there seem to have closed as per normal for this time of year. Started precipitating mid afternoon - snow above 2,300. Cloud is down now and temperature dropping, so fingers crossed. Hopefully most of the Parisian families will be departing over the w/e.
snow report
Snowed all day and is still snowing. Not as much snow overnight as the more favourable forecasts had predicted, in fact only 2 - 3cm, but nice none the less. Being a late season Saturday not too many folk about at least we could not see many, but then at times we could not see much at all. Not a pebble on the pistes although a bit of beige snow around a combination of leeching and Sahara dust.
ski holidays
I may have the potential of a few days in Val d'Isere this week with a friend's flat otherwise unused. The snag appears to be that Ben's Bus and Altibus have both ended for the season. Any suggestions that don't cost a fortune? Single person so a taxi is out. I don't want to drive from the UK or rent a car at GVA.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy