Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Montalbert Gondola cars reach base station for first time....

http://laplagne.roundshot.com/montalbert/

See 12:20 today (4/11/15) on the above webcam - 3 cars coming down the hill on the newly installed pylons
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit of a faff having to click all the way back to 12.20, but good to see all the same.
Now they just need to landscape all round the base station: a few plants, some trees, some shrubs, a couple of gnomes and a wooden bench or two - should look right lovely.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonpim, yes my forum skills are still limited so couldn't work out how to take a screen shot and paste it straight into a post!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In all the years I have visited LP I have never felt the need to sample a Mountain Restaurant. Lunchtime is the best ski time of the day. Eat like Polar Bear for breakfast and sod lunch. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Image from www.montalbert.com via www.perso-laplagne.fr
They went down but haven't made it back up .....so far Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another pic courtesy of Martin owner of Les Etoiles du Sport Montalbert http://www.locationski-plagnemontalbert.fr/english/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 4-11-15 22:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and another from Martin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For histories sake
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for that thefatcontroller. Excellent. Especially as its a bit of a faff to do, and 11:06pm is well after your bedtime Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonpim, Fear not, time clock on here not the same as where I am. Had my homework done Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Video of the new lift from La Plagne
https://www.facebook.com/LaPlagne/videos/10153071789587172/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking good. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonpim, hmm, Those few that went down yesterday morning haven't come back up ....yet Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't wait to get on board

15 mins saved on the way up out of Monty each morning over NY means an extra 1hr45 of skiing that week Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roger C, or (until Coqs is rebuilt next year) 15 mins quicker to get to join the early queues at La Roche Sad
ski holidays
Yes, boredsurfin, that is still a problem.
There can't be many satellites like Montalbert (1350m) where you first go up, and then have to go even lower (1250m for La Roche) to get into the main skiing area.
(But i'm sure now i'll get a list of places that do . . . rolling eyes )
ski holidays
@Jonpim, some interesting comments under that Facebook link I put above. A couple of French people making the point about La Roche, the response from LP being yes next year maybe if we get planning permission we are putting in an alternative - might be useful if they had actually put in a planning app!
latest report
Coqs replacement lift news: planning to be approved by early January 2016 with construction taking place the same year so ready in time for 2016/17 season. Seems we will only have to put up with the detour via La Roche for this season hopefully.

Replacement chair, to be known as "Envers" to take a slightly different route to the old Coqs chair - same starting point but finishing near top of Golf lift.

Full details here: http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm - posted 09 November 2015.
snow conditions
incidentally, has anyone yet had sight of the new piste map for this season? Showing the new Montalbert Gondola and the changes to the Belle Plagne lift system?
snow conditions
chopkins13, if irc the new lift map comes out each year around the end of November, http://www.perso-laplagne.fr has had it first the last couple of seasons...
ski holidays
Thanks @boredsurfin, it's really sad but I do look forward to it every year - it signals the start of the season!!
snow conditions
Well SAP have announced at least a one year delay to the re-configuration of the Glacier lifts in La Plagne:

"In December 2014, Jerome Grellet, former CEO of SAP we had a multi-year investment plan over 10 years. The construction of several lifts was in 2016: the chairlift 4 seater of Envers, we presented there three days, a new ski lift and a carpet in Plan Bois, and the gondola of the Thistle which was to replace a first section the gondola Bellecôte - happens at an end - between Roche de Mio and the Col de la Chiaupe. But SAP has delayed its construction - probably a year - because of studies and administrative authorizations required for the implementation of such a device. In 2017 the construction was to take place the second cable car (called 3000): it is unclear whether the two will be built in the same year or it will shift it by one year."

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm 12 November 2015

Whilst obviously not great news, given how seldom used the glacier sector is, even in peak season, and how small a percentage of the skiable area it makes up in La Plagne, I'm more concerned that they continue to stay on track with sorting out the Montchavin and Montalbert Sectors as these are high-traffic important connecting sectors.
ski holidays
chopkins13 wrote:
given how seldom used the glacier sector is, even in peak season

Not quite so sure about that, when often the queue for the glacier gondola can be over 30 minutes.
Apart from the standard red and (mega-mogully) black runs back down to Col de la Chaup, and the fun (often forgotten or ignored) off-piste area around the friendly blue runs down to Chalet de Bellecote chair. that top gondola gives access to Roche and Bellecote plus some wonderful serious off-piste runs. La plagne would be sorely depleted without the Bellecote gondola.
(The glacier itself is only really worth going to for the view).
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Completely agree, but I suspect that less than 50% of the visitors to La Plagne make it all the way up there.

This is probably a bit 'chicken and egg' - people won't be more inclined to go up there unless the lift system improves...

In four trips to La Plagne, I've only ever been up once, in early Feb, and it was deserted. I guess it's one of those things that appeals to some and not others. I'm a pretty rubbish skier so from an entirely selfish point of view I'd prefer investment in the other areas.

Still, unless the snow hurries up, it's going to be another nail-biting start to the season in a couple of weeks or so! Watching the snow melt away at the Roche De Mio is getting depressing now....... patience and faith are somewhat absent today!
snow conditions
@chopkins13, It tends to be used more when conditions lower down are bad, mainly towards the end of the season. Usually in February there is plenty to go at with all the lower village pistes open.
As @Jonpim, pointed out it gives access to the really serious skiing in La Plagne so I can't imagine they will ever remove that option.
snow report
And of course, last season it took them a long time to open up the glacier area at all.
Personally i'm quite happy with the lift set-up in La Plagne, with one or two exceptions.
1. moving the pixie lift (Leitchoums) was a big mistake: it removed a useful way of avoiding queue at Colosses, and is useless where it now resides. (the new colosses chair is hardly compensation)
2. removing Coqs was stupid - it needs to be replaced asap (2017 will do, but 2015 would have been better)
(and i do rather miss the Colosses drag . . . )
ski holidays
@Jonpim, wow you're a big fan of the drags eh! Personally I find them far too harsh on the thighs and am usually glad of a sit down on a chair.... Really must work on my ski fitness!
ski holidays
@chopkins13, Leitchoums was a short distance drag and as Jonpim says, very useful for an alternative route back across avoiding the large queue at times on Colosses by going up Les Blanchets instead. I'm sure a youngster like yourself could have endured it wink. Can't comment on the Colosses drag though .....

Glacier I found to provide a bit of fun bumps/mogul on occasions, to then run on down Chaiaupe which tends to be more serious bumps/moguls.

Must try the off-piste area around the Chalet de Bellecote chair which Jonpim mentions.....

Will be back in the area in late Jan - won't be long now!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll be missing the Fornelet drag this coming season, particularly as it ran at about twice the speed of the Fornelet chairlift and rarely had a queue, due to a couple steep inclines on its route.
ski holidays
Looking forward to the new Gondola. Hope it doesn't have the same problems as the Bergerie lift when that opened

It would be great if they put Le Cow back in. Although great for the restaurant at the bottom of Le Roche It would be great to dodge going all the way to the bottom.

But then I still miss the little drags that helped you track across Centre
snow report
Ha! Le Cow.

Moo!
snow conditions
Yes, Whisky_priest, La Cow! Great typo.
chopkins13 suggests i might be a fan of drags - well, sort of. They often go faster then the older chairs, often have no queues where there there is a chair alternative, and are often a lot more fun. Anyone remember the wonderful old drags taken out when they put the La Roche chair in? Sometimes they had a 50% no-go rate. Most entertaining.
snow conditions
I got pinged off those drags. 15 stone and 5'10" they were lethal
snow report
Jonpim, Yep that La Roche lift ruined a 'hidden corner' of LP Sad
snow conditions
@Jonpim, yes, it was entertaining, lot's of boarders bailing and coming down the lift line. I also seem to remember a stiff black down to it. One of the highlights of that part of La Plagne.
snow conditions
Snow all the way down to Montalbert!

Lots more up top. snowHead
latest report
Yes, but nothing like what was forecast for last night, let's hope for more today & tonight and then see what comes mid week. Still a promising start.
ski holidays
And much more in the forecast
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
Check the isotherm line
snow report
Yes, but nothing like what was forecast for last night, let's hope for more today & tonight and then see what comes mid week. Still a promising start.
snow report
@Charliee, an average ish start according to my records here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2790451#2790451
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy