Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar, Mentioned it and got a gallic shrug and said they couldn't help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boredsurfin, Laughing c'est la vie!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Posting from scotys bar in The centre. Conditions on the piste are pretty shocking to be honest. Even high up the snow is thin and very icy. Anything we have been on so far is a total mess once you hit below 2000.

Lift wait times are pretty good considering the lack of options but the cable cars are busy are people head high as soon as they can. People are falling over all over and it's becoming really dangerous.

Snow is needed big time. It's typical its forecast just before we leave!!!!

Wish the report was more positive but even I am surprised just how bad it is
Confused

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 27-12-15 18:26; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went out walking today, its more like April/May, stopped above the Bobsleigh and admired the long snake of cars and coaches making their way up to Plagne, goodness only knows what they are going to be doing....
The next snowfall forecast for 29th now appears to have moved to 1st
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/La-Plagne/6day/mid

Now showing some snow in the 2nd and a more significant fall on the 4th

Lower temperatures should also help with the artificial
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisrawles wrote:
Posting from scotys bar in The centre. Conditions on the piste are pretty shocking to be honest. Even high up the snow is thin and very icy. Anything we have been on so far is a total mess once you hit below 2000.

Lift wait times are pretty good considering the lack of options but the cable cars are busy are people head high as soon as they can. People are falling over all over and it's becoming really dangerous.

Snow is needed big time. It's typical its forecast just before we leave!!!!

Wish the report was more positive but even I am surprised just how bad it is
Confused

Ouch! When I flew back from 3V on Boxing Day there was a woman in Chambery who said that she'd been in Belle Plagne and snow was good (I think she said "knee deep in some places"). I didn't really believe her, especially as I'd spent the week looking from Courchevel across to the back side of La Plagne and seen the snow line gradually move up the mountain...still, didn't think it would be quite that bad.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some good grippy snow can be had but its few and far between. Yesterday we headed to the Mont Blonc blue that goes past the Vanoise. Snow went from firm, grippy, icy, rocks, grass and back again. Did the same run today and its now more icy than yesterday.

It seems more runs are being closed which is meaning the traffic on the open runs is heavy and it really is getting thin and very dangerous. The chopper has been non stop for 2 days and the blood wagons are all over the place. The ones I have seen are skiers and appear to be knee related which I imagine is due to poor DIN settings from the hire shops. (I might be wrong as I am a boarder)

I feel really sorry for beginners or early intermiediates that are being pushed on to steep icy blues just to access the "good runs". I have heard no end of people having a meltdown fearing they will not get down and are stuck. Even the ESF instructors are telling their students conditions are really bad etc.

Next week looks much better but the damage on the pistes will take some coverage to fix. I would say good 2ft of snow is needed and maybe more.

Not too sure what this guy was thinking today -

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm out there on the 23rd Jan in a group of 30 mates, i'm praying the forecasts are accurate and the collective meter dump happens and the temps drop snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chrisrawles, I skied LP (from Les Coches) last Christmas and the glacier runs were in good condition despite poor snow elsewhere. In fact I just got the cabine back down after skiing it later in the week. Any good up there?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisrawles wrote:
Some good grippy snow can be had but its few and far between. Yesterday we headed to the Mont Blonc blue that goes past the Vanoise. Snow went from firm, grippy, icy, rocks, grass and back again. Did the same run today and its now more icy than yesterday.

There's a bit of Mont Blanc that goes under a chairlift (a short way before the beginner's area/bar bit) that always seems to be icy when I ski it (several times over two late March trips), dread to think what it must be like at the minute as it never seems to get any sun but I suspect will be quite busy still.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@balernoStu, Snow is OK but as its where everyone is going its getting worn out and thin. Rocks are showing on the way down. We wanted to do the tunnel run but that is closed. The red to the side of it is open but with current conditions I really don't think it was worth the effort.

@SnoodyMcFlude, I think I wiped out on the bit you are on about yesterday. Was going great then out of nowhere the lovely scratchy sound appeared and boom! on my backside.

It was cold overnight and there is a frost on the cars this morning. The clouds came to nothing so no new snow yet. The canons are running and the groomers are out again this morning spreading the man made crap about. rolling eyes

If there is anything good to report I will post something later. For those coming out in a few weeks I am sure you will be fine. Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chrisrawles, thanks for the photos and reports. That view of Arpette lift out of Bellecote really shows how little natural snow there is around.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here we are, La Plagne taken at 11.00am today 30th December 2015 on Piste Dos Rond towards the Pierre Blanches restaurant, Les Arcs is in the background.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For a bit of balance here is the village of Longefoy (not a ski resort) below Montalbert at 1170 meters and always in the sunshine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Coming out on the second, current plan is rent skis, stay high on sunday, and hope for some top to bottom skiing on thursday/friday. And expect the odd day of whiteout.

Does this sound reasonable or should i abandon any hope of a top to bottom run?
snow report
Heres a broader view taken from the Arpette chairlift, if you know the area you can just see the exit from the Tunnel and the Arpette? Restaurant

snow conditions
Tom B82, The folk who took those pics skied all the way back to Montalbert just now. Having been down to Montchavin and back up again.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Tom B82, The folk who took those pics skied all the way back to Montalbert just now. Having been down to Montchavin and back up again.

You cannot ski to Montchavin at the moment?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Hello stranger, to be accurate they went down as far as the bottom of the Lac Noir Bubble, we never go down to Montchavin as its a bit pointless, like going down to Montalbert Laughing I liken it to going down a col de sac just to see the end Very Happy
Are you out to the Icy wastelands soon?
latest report
Thanks Smile
snow report
So it's possible to ski to Les Coches then?
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
thefatcontroller, Hello stranger, to be accurate they went down as far as the bottom of the Lac Noir Bubble, we never go down to Montchavin as its a bit pointless, like going down to Montalbert Laughing I liken it to going down a col de sac just to see the end Very Happy
Are you out to the Icy wastelands soon?

Ah was wondering. if snow is good we go the whole way down but otherwise its just ice (or grass at the moment). Out of the 9th Jan for 1 week, looks like the snow will arrive in time for us. Strange year ahead, only one skiing holiday this year, have to go elsewhere is April so that used up our mother in law quota of kid minding. However the April trip is mind blowing and free so that will make up for it(even has potential for 2 days skiing in Seattle but that will be pushing it). Also doing a long haul with the 3 kids in the summer so priorities away from the slopes this year.

If we did 2 holidays i might waste a day Laughing going over to try the Montalbert bubble. I hear it is a big improvement time wise, 7 mins as opposed to 25?
ski holidays
KennyEverett wrote:

Yes. They always (as near as damn it) keep the link open to Les Coches as people returning from the Vanoise to La Plagne need to get down to Les Coches to get returning lifts. But it will just be that piste that goes to the VE and then on down to Les Coches.
latest report
Layne wrote:
KennyEverett wrote:

Yes. They always (as near as damn it) keep the link open to Les Coches as people returning from the Vanoise to La Plagne need to get down to Les Coches to get returning lifts. But it will just be that piste that goes to the VE and then on down to Les Coches.

Thanks

That is until we get this massive dump that everyone is praying for. If we do get shedloads in the next week, how quickly do they usually clear the avalanche danger?
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, Busy boy, i'm here until 15th so if you try the new lift let me know and you can buy me that beer Toofy Grin
snow conditions
KennyEverett, until it's safe! Sometimes 24 hrs sometimes longer.
ski holidays
We were out yesterday and the piste skiing wasn't good and all the higher runs were extremely busy, in fact the Inversens run was probably in the worst condition I have ever seen it. Definitely a day for spending time in the restaurants (which were absolutely packed) but very pleasant in the sunshine.
We went up to Champagny le haut today to have a look at the cross coutry skiing and it is still winter up there, -5 degrees and some good grippy snow to boot, pity it's flat.
Will probably hire some cross country skis and have a go at that tomorrow so the Alpine skiing can wait until more snow arrives.

The local forecasts are now predicting snow for the weekend and early next week so hopefully that is accurate.
snow report
Not much to report today. Snow canons have helped a little but ice and rocks are still coming through. Temperature is dropping although the lunchtime sun was still pretty warm. No sign of clouds in the distance and the forecast seems to be pushing the snow back further in to next week.

Best run today was the Verdons down in to the Centre. Only a small section was icy, the rest was soft and if you ski/board in control you can have a nice run down.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KennyEverett wrote:
Layne wrote:
KennyEverett wrote:

Thanks

That is until we get this massive dump that everyone is praying for. If we do get shedloads in the next week, how quickly do they usually clear the avalanche danger?

In terms of the pistes... it usually takes a day or two before everything fully re-opens. But that shouldn't prevent the links between Plagne Centre, Les Coches, VE, etc from running and staying open - and you having the ability to get out and about.
snow conditions
Superb. Back to the praying and dancing then
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
@thefatcontroller, Busy boy, i'm here until 15th so if you try the new lift let me know and you can buy me that beer Toofy Grin

Will bear in mind. Waiting till last minute to see what snow is like to decide on Les Arcs or Paradski pass. If snow is good we will board and don't tend to travel far but if it is shoite then we go all area and ski. If you fancy coming over Les Arcs side we are def there from 10th, meet for lunch somewhere?
ski holidays
Looks like it's snowing above 1800 this morning with thick low cloud/fog will have to wait and see if it comes any lower ...
TFC we will see what happens snowHead
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Looks like it's snowing above 1800 this morning with thick low cloud/fog will have to wait and see if it comes any lower ...
TFC we will see what happens snowHead

Forecast looks very promising from Saturday onwards. Fingers crossed.
snow report
Just come back in - it's snowing above 1600m snowHead
snow report
After the horrors of earlier in the week I thought piste conditions were better today. Far from good of course but still enjoyable!

Bloody cold on the glacier so winter is hopefully, finally in the way👍
snow conditions
The little snow fall did help the pistes this morning but come the afternoon it was back to thin, icy and very brown. The snow seemed a little wet (if that makes any sense) and I could really fell it dragging on the base of my board. Its snowing as we speak but not sure if it will last through the night.

Anyone out next week should have an awesome week if the forecast is accurate.
snow conditions
Just skyped a friend in St Foy - it's snowing lightly there as well.
snow conditions
Due to the predicted snowfall tomorrow (02:01:2016) The official advice is to leave the resorts by car BEFORE 09:00

www.savoie-route.fr
snow report
Happy New Year!
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Hope we make our flight. Due to depart Grenoble 9am. Should be a 5am collection from resort. God I love TO's transfers LOL
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy