Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
Personally I find the Chamade rude and pretentious. You can't beat the Philibert for posh food, or joining the refectory table at the Farmhouse (Le Mas de la Coutettaz) for the whole experience of dining in Morzine's oldest (surviving) building. Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@shep, cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shep wrote:
Personally I find the Chamade rude and pretentious. You can't beat the Philibert for posh food, or joining the refectory table at the Farmhouse (Le Mas de la Coutettaz) for the whole experience of dining in Morzine's oldest (surviving) building. Razz

[edited to add: the Farmhouse requires 24hrs notice for non-resident bookings]
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, Can anyone tell me the best way to get from Les Gets to Avoriaz. We will not have our own transport. Cheers Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NIKKIWHITE wrote:
Hi, Can anyone tell me the best way to get from Les Gets to Avoriaz. We will not have our own transport. Cheers Happy

The best way is to snowboard. If it's during the day and you've got baggage then you can get a bus then a lift then a special snow taxi as Avoriaz is carless. Someone with more knowledge will be along to fill in the details and possibily correct me any moment now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NIKKIWHITE,

Are going every day or only once? There's a bus between Les Gets and Morzine. It's regular but not massively frequent; timetables are available using Google. From there you can catch the ski bus (Ligne A) to Prodains where you catch the telecabine to Avoriaz. It's quite a bit of hassle for such a short distance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snow Hound,
I think snowboarding might be a bit tricky at the moment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zzz, Oh yeah. Hadn't considered it would be to get to the snow. My bad.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry I should ave been more clear. We are staying in Les Gets from 8th January. Looking at this thread our best option for skiing will be Avoriaz. We have skied Les Gets previously but are not the best of skiers (tree lined Blue / Red runs are our thing) Just did not know how to get there. Plus we are only skiing for 4 days so I did not want to get the full PDS pass and thought the local passes would be cheaper.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NIKKIWHITE, possibility of half a meter or so of dumpage between now then so fingers crossed for you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@shep, another La Terrasse fan here - I had to be carried out of there in the summer....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oh oh! I had such a good soiree flambé there a few years ago I didn't even notice I'd set myself on fire on the way down! Skullie
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow Hound wrote:
@NIKKIWHITE, possibility of half a meter or so of dumpage between now then so fingers crossed for you.

I have everything crossed! Happy

Should we have snow is it possible to ski all the way to Avoriaz from Les Gets without the need for walking across towns / catching the ski bus? We have been looking at the PDS map but its not clear to me. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Things may have changed a bit in the last couple of years but a short bus ride or walk across Morzine was necessary. I always count a bus as just another lift plus there's usually banter to be had aboard. I absolutely love PDS - its been a few years but its tugging at at the heart strings.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The petit train takes you from the bottom of Pleney (Morzine skiing) to the Super Morzine lift (one of the routes to Avoriaz) if the 300m walk is too much for you Toofy Grin
snow report
I haven't been to La Terrasse for about twelve years, ever since the owner insisted on us trying his local Corsican rosé one lunchtime. We left 50€ lighter (just for the bottle).
Not that I'm one to hold a grudge or anything.

There are far better (and cheaper) restaurants around there IMO
snow conditions
Ah yes I remember Evil or Very Mad . Like I said, different strokes for different folks. I usually stay out of restaurant recommending, but desperation for diversion from the current conditions got the better of me Blush ! Anyway, let's make some turns together when things pick up (we could always eat at Babeth's Shocked Skullie Shocked !).
ski holidays
So we had a pretty quick transfer and decided to brave the snow...

And I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The main pistes around Avoriaz that were open were in good nick. Sure, hard ice under the fake snow and I wouldn't want to be a beginner.

Main issue is, as expected, the lift and bus queues; the wait for a bus from Prodain to Morzine was huge (we just had some apres instead) but what do you expect when all of Morzine decamps to another resort...

Keep the faith!
snow conditions
We'll be there tomorrow night. Bringing park skis to practice tricks off any bumps I can find - not an off piste or speed carving holiday I think!
latest report
Our grandchildren had good lessons in the Chavannes today. They are able to have a pass for the week, other people can buy for two days at a time. I am not breaking out my season pass yet except maybe to go and have a glass of wine or coffee at the top of a lift. The cafes in Les Gets are absolutely full and buzzing during the day. None of our house are going very far this week, unless it snows, and that seems to be shrinking.
snow report
Just stopping by - so a quick "hello" to everyone! snowHead
snow report
@FlyingStantoni, hello Smile
snow conditions
Double post
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
The petit train takes you from the bottom of Pleney (Morzine skiing) to the Super Morzine lift (one of the routes to Avoriaz) if the 300m walk is too much for you Toofy Grin

Unless you have small children (who will like the little train as it's one of those tractor-made-to-look-like-a-steam-train things the French seem to love) or people who can't walk far carrying their own skis I'd just walk it. It's really not far between the Pleny and Super Morzine gondolas and the little train isn't quick or especially frequent.
snow report
We are in Morzine at the moment with a family that have season passes, can anyone confirm if the Marie's request that season pass holders do not take to the slopes is just a request and not a demand? We are all doing our snow dance for thursday!
snow report
It's a request @Sheddy,
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@shep, another La Terrasse fan here - I had to be carried out of there in the summer....

Me too!! I blame Helen Toofy Grin

Love La Terrasse!
snow conditions
It snowed a bit on Avoroaz late this afternoon/ evening. I can see the snow line from my window snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Me too!! I blame Helen Toofy Grin

Love La Terrasse!

We went for a 'quick drink' today at La Terrasse which ended in a meal and a nice bottle of Red. Helen a great hostess as usual!
ski holidays
@nikkiwhite We stayed in LG this year and mainly ski'd in Avoriaz and we found the best way was to get the bus from the stop opposite the Mont Chery cable car station (can't remember the bus stop name now) and get to the super morzine for the first lift. We had the option to ski over to morzine but the bus way gave us more time over in avoriaz / Swiss side. Timetables are on morznet and the stop will tell you how long the next bus will be.
latest report
Looking at the snow forecasts is it too soon to start complaining about it snowing all the time and poor visibility for my trip the second week in Jan?

Hey, everyone seems happy to start worrying about having no snow in about July...
ski holidays
She has it down to a fine art @Sheddy, I'd happily spend all afternoon in there
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
She has it down to a fine art @Sheddy, I'd happily spend all afternoon in there

I often do late season and summer, managed to lose a jacket in the summer running back to Chaux Fleurie for last lift after too many cocktails and Corsican rose Embarassed

Bit of a dusting this morning, come on snow. Bit fed up now.
ski holidays
@sarah, my lot have all had a good morning. Bit of sharing the two day at 20 euros LG/Morzine lift pass, well perhaps it is just LG. I am told I would hate it, with narrow paths of ice but their legs are exercised, two young ones still having lessons, much walking going on, lunches at La Taniere etc. Very busy up at our little lake and the cafe this afternoon and the village is full of cars, I haven't yet got my ski clothes out and am still in my Sussex dog walking jacket, but I hadn't planned to ski while we had all the family staying.
snow report
@Pamski, yes! It's fine, people are having fun, they're skiing, the sun is shining. It could be a lot worse!! Really it could be wet!!

I'm back off home at the weekend for a detox and will be looking forward to better conditions in 3 weeks time Very Happy
ski holidays
Planning a cheeky weekend bash 7-11 in PDS, looks like there could be some reasonably significant snowfall over the next week or so. Is it any worse now than it was opening of 2014/15 season (we had a whole week, great fun but terrible conditions!)
latest report
@crashd, not a very good question.

It's (I think) better than it was before the NY week snow arrived, and snow is forecast. So what it is currently isn't really relevant...
snow report
@under a new name, sorry - I meant is it better now than it was opening weeks last year (despite any currently forecast snow), but thanks for the answers Wink

Obviously everyone has fingers crossed for a good old dumping in the next week but we've all seen these forecasts disappear before.
ski holidays
Nice forecast for saturday-monday according to snowforecast. Be nice for those flying Saturday. Have put avoriaz on a possible visit this year (end of Jan). Between there, couple of other French resorts and Lapland as a last resort (loads there!! But hardly any runs). Had planned Canada but as no direct flights from manc and very long flights and cost we decided to stay Europe
ski holidays
Raining at 1000m and six degrees. Sure it must be snowing somewhere up there....really, anywhere?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy