Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
Lets start.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chatel are offering 30% of a season pass @388 euros if purchased before 30 Sept 2015

http://www.skipass-chatel.com/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BergenBergen, excellent reporting. Les Gets/Morzine usually do something similar, I just wish that PDS would do likewise!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BergenBergen, @Pamski, I could see a Morzine/Les gets pass being useful as a day out there is pretty self contained. But a Chatel only pass would see me often wanting to venture into Avoriaz or Morgins...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wish there was an Avoriaz & Chatel pass - Ardent is my favourite starting point

I didnt bother getting a season pass last year as I was working away so much but this year I think I might - but do I get Avoriaz or Morzine? Decisions, decisions...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Similar Morzine - 377 euros if before 30/11/15 cf. 627 if after! - 40% saving for buying early.

Although I'm always a bit miffed that the locals get a season pass that covers morzine/lesgets and avoriaz for ,i think, approx 250 euros.
I'm told that one has to reside > 6 months of the year to qualify for this.
Anyone know a way around this ??

ps - I have a chalet in Morzine and pay hefty tax d'habitation and fonciere each year
we also spend approx 10 weeks a year in town so do contribute to the local economy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bobhitch, technically, I'm not sure that it's strictly legal under EU law to discriminate between residents/non-residents. But everyone does it...

@Nadenoodlee, I think I'd go Morzine/Les Gets rather than Avoriaz.

I still think this all makes our annual Chamonix passes at €650 including Courmayeur and 8 days in Verbier rather good value for money.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Gets/ Morzine early discount of 40% is available from 15th Sep to 30th Nov taking the season pass down to 377 Euros from 627 Euros.
Last year it also included "Club Privineige" which gave 3 or 4 days free in a lot of other Haute Savoie ski areas.
It also gave a 10 euro discount on the PDS daily rate for those days that you want to head off to Avoriaz and beyond.

When compared to the full PDS season pass at 900 Euros this is really good value.

A note on the Morzine Avoriaz site mentions a discount of 15% for passes bought before 30/9 although I can't find confirmation anywhere else.

The Les Gets site has this note which is obviously designed to stop people in Switzerland buying their passes in France.

"Les Portes du Soleil sont le plus grand domaine international au monde, avec deux monnaies différentes. Afin de respecter cette différence, tous les skieurs ayant acheté un forfait auprès d’une station française doivent impérativement démarrer leur journée en France ; tous les skieurs ayant acheté un forfait auprès d’une station suisse doivent impérativement démarrer leur journée en Suisse. Les systèmes d’accès aux remontées vous empêcheront dans le cas contraire de profiter des charmes du pays voisin. Bon ski safari entre France et Suisse !"

Just need the Euro to stay at a resonable rate until 15th Sep and I will be happy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think we will get LG/Morzine at 320 euros buying early and the. Praz de,Lys pass at 260 euros as well just to ring the changes a bit this coming year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, MR NN gets a Les Gets, Morz and Avoriaz one for 320€ as he has a contract with a company in town - I didn`t think you could get it if you didn`t work in town but I shall investigate!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think that you are correct that the LG, Morzine Avoriaz pass is for those employed locally.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timc wrote:

The Les Gets site has this note which is obviously designed to stop people in Switzerland buying their passes in France.

"Les Portes du Soleil sont le plus grand domaine international au monde, avec deux monnaies différentes. Afin de respecter cette différence, tous les skieurs ayant acheté un forfait auprès d’une station française doivent impérativement démarrer leur journée en France ; tous les skieurs ayant acheté un forfait auprès d’une station suisse doivent impérativement démarrer leur journée en Suisse. Les systèmes d’accès aux remontées vous empêcheront dans le cas contraire de profiter des charmes du pays voisin. Bon ski safari entre France et Suisse !"

Sad

This must be new for this year! Last year we bought PDS season passes in Switzerland as the Swiss resorts were offering a 10% early bird discount which the French resorts were not doing. We never once started our day in Switzerland. Thinking about it maybe this restriction is just for weekly/daily passes and not season passes??

I'm another one wishing there was an Avoriaz-Chatel pass, or even just an Avoriaz-Pre la Joux pass.

The early bird Chatel pass is a very good deal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Timc wrote:

Sarah wrote:

This must be new for this year! Last year we bought PDS season passes in Switzerland as the Swiss resorts were offering a 10% early bird discount which the French resorts were not doing. We never once started our day in Switzerland. Thinking about it maybe this restriction is just for weekly/daily passes and not season passes??

This went active during last season soon after the Swiss Franc was re-valued which had the effect of making all French based passes considerably cheaper than buying in Swiss Francs, I had assumed that it would apply to all passes.

I haven't checked the Swiss prices but unless they have reduced them considerably I would expect the same restriction to be in place this year
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wonder whether it might be worth having a thread to flag up all the "buy early" season pass bargains?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
I wonder whether it might be worth having a thread to flag up all the "buy early" season pass bargains?

Good idea! It's especially relevant to those going to America where it really, really does pay to buy early.
snow conditions
@bobhitch, you need to prove you pay income tax in France impots sur le revenu to get the Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz pass. Habitation etc won't cut it I'm afraid.

Andy
snow report
Or have a work contract in one of the 3 resorts. IIR correctly it costs around 350 € for the season and you get 10€ off a PDS day pass if you upgrade. I have only gotten the extra days when I bought a PDS season pass, never with the pass above.
snow conditions
@bobhitch, if you choose to buy the full PDS season pass then you should get 20% off that by showing paperwork relating to your chalet ownership, utility bills other the like, but you probably know that, we have been getting 30% of ours as the additional ten percent as seniors.
snow report
If you buy the Chatel season pass, is it possible to upgrade to the PDS region for adhoc days? Or do you need to buy a separate pass? Has there ever been early bird discounts for a PDS season pass? I'm hoping our apartment in Chatel will be completed before Dec this year, but don't have any common documents (short of the Notary paperwork) to prove local ownership.
snow conditions
MorganW wrote:
If you buy the Chatel season pass, is it possible to upgrade to the PDS region for adhoc days? Or do you need to buy a separate pass? Has there ever been early bird discounts for a PDS season pass? I'm hoping our apartment in Chatel will be completed before Dec this year, but don't have any common documents (short of the Notary paperwork) to prove local ownership.

Short answer is No Sad

My understanding is that it is not possible to get an ad hoc upgrade, you have to get a single day PDS pass (I'd be happy to be corrected if anyone knows differently!!)

From the past 2 seasons there is no early bird discount for PDS season passes bought on the French side. However if you buy your PDS season pass in a Swiss resort for example via Telemorgins there is a 10% early bird discount. Even with the exchange rate this is still a saving. This is what we did last season, ordered by post collected at Morgins, first used and every day used from Chatel no issues.
snow conditions
Thanks Sarah - appreciate the heads up on the Morgins option. With the current exchange rate and discount it looks about £50 cheaper than buying in EUR
snow report
I've never managed quite yenough days to make a season pass worthwhile but when we were out in August our neighbour suggested that at the current discount it was worth going for it and paying for an upgrade on PDS days. I'm going to trawl the website and see if I can make sense of it as I had always thought, as @sarah mentions, that no upgrade was possible.
ski holidays
Hmm... the Chatel website suggests there is a 20% discount on a PDS day pass (so basically €40/£30 instead of €50)

http://info.chatel.com/the-lift-passes-prices.html

Quote:

• One day extension for your Châtel skipass:
Benefit from 20 % discount on a one day Portes du Soleil skipass as an extension of your initial Châtel ski pass (Offer available only for a Châtel ski pass with a duration of at least 5-days by showing it at the cashier).

The PDS pass via Morgins is ~£600, the Chatel pass is currently ~£275. If you ski outside the Chatel area on more than 11 days then better off to get the PDS season pass via Morgins. less than 11 days then buy the Chatel season pass.
latest report
@DJL, I believe that if we were to buy a LG/Morzine season pass and then wanted to get a PDS pass for a day which would cost us, say, 40 euros to buy at Ardent, if we went to the lift station in Les Gets and bought it then it would be sold to us for 30 euros. I might not be accurate on the exact sums but in that region. There might also be something about having to hand in your season pass for the day and collecting at the end, but that sounds a bit like being made to stand on the naughty step.
snow report
I see the PDS weather thread is running true to form - discussions about anything but the weather! Very Happy
ski holidays
@MorganW, that's interesting. It's tempting to go for the Chatel pass as it's so much cheaper. I'm highly unlikely to be there full time this season so it might just work ok. Trouble is our two favourite lunch spots are outside the Chatel area Laughing

@DJL, you want to talk about the weather? Well after you left last week the weather was glorious, wall to wall sunshine Laughing
ski holidays
@sarah, Where do I find that ignore button?

Trouble with the Chatel pass is that it is such a short hop over to Lindarets and then either Avoriaz and/or the Swiss side though we don't go there everyday. Also doesn't include LA Chapelle Cret Beni which can be enjoyable. We rarely go to Morzine/Les Gets as it is a bit of a hike

The area covered - La Chapelle (Braitaz), Torgon, Morgins as far as the road, Petit Chatel/Barbossine/Super Chatel - new link to Linga and Pre La Joux is really pretty extensive and in my experience tends to have some of the best snow conditions (above Plaine Dranse).

Would take a bit of organising to go for a PDS ticket on the days needed but at the price I might just give it a go this year. We nearly always stay local 2 or 3 days out of a weeks trip and the last Saturday is always local before heading to the airport.
ski holidays
@DJL, I was thinking about it and you could kind of do it without planning. If you found yourself skiing out of Pre la Joux for lunch at Lindarets say, then you could just zip down to Ardent for a ticket. Shame the Lindarets caisse isn't open in winter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sarah, Genius! By the time we got there the ticket queue would have shrunk anyway. If we head over the Swiss side via Morgins then same story - buy a pass at the bottom of the Follieuse. If we ski Cret Beni just buy a day pass (its cheap anyway). Just need to remember to carry a spare card!

I think I might go for it.

It wasn't really sunny was it? Surely it rained a bit?
ski holidays
@DJL, that's what I thought, just ski wherever you're going making sure you're going down of course, then buy a ticket at the bottom to come back up.

Yes really sunny! Had a good day on the lake from Thonon and a great day lunching at Lindarets Very Happy
latest report
Just to add to this, on the Avoriaz website (http://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/GB_tarif-forfaits-01-Avril2016.html) it says that 2nd home owners are entitled to the residents discount. €720 for the PDS season pass:

Quote:

(*) Native Season :

Residents in Haute-Savoie (authentic identity card)
Owners of holiday homes in the french resorts of the Portes du Soleil
latest report
I like this thread - makes me chuckle that almost no weather gets discussed, but then we don't really need to report minute by minute on each snowflake which falls (or lack of in september!! lol) I still find it a shame that Admin don't put a summer section in amongst it all for summer topics Sad does anyone know how to ask admin about this? surely i can't be the only one on here who wants to talk summer? even though it's autumn, i just like to read about stuff and maybe give some helpful info too.

Might see a bit of a frosting on Mont de Grange this weekend, supposed to be below freezing whilst raining in the valley over night - that'll be nice to see snowHead not getting drawn in to a discussion about whether it's gonna be a bumber season or not - i just find it pretty when the leaves start turning golden and the tops have bit of white, it makes for some stunning autumn photos that's for sure - kind of the opposite of spring when the tops are white and all sorts of blossom on the trees give a real spash of revitalising life to the place.

Look at me.. I'm rambling again Embarassed
snow conditions
There was ice yesterday morning on my windscreen at village level in Les Gets. Winter is coming.
snow report
@MeMyselfandI, Smile Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hi all, going to Morzine in Feb - we'll be driving to the Pleney lift every day. Where's the best place to park? Is there an underground car park right by the lift?
snow report
@Handy Turnip, yes there is an underground car park beside that lift.
snow conditions
Does anyone know if there is an Avoriaz only season pass? Website would seem to suggest not.

Just thinking that if I got a Chatel season pass at the early bird rate and if there was an Avoriaz one at a good price then that would do. Not sure I can justify a full PDS season pass this year.
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, if you're going to Morzine why not walk (or bus?) ?
ski holidays
Probably not on a bus route @under a new name, or hates buses and prefers to drive everywhere?
ski holidays
Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy