Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I'm of to Morzine on Monday 28th for 3 nights... Not looking too good! I would have booked somewhere more "snowsure" for a week, but short breaks favour lower resorts near airports.

Sadly my Airbnb "strict" reservation means i'll lose a few quid for the booking so I'm not too keen to change the plans. I've got the transfers booked as well.

So I wonder if the regulars can point me in the direction of the best PdS options? I was planning on getting the Prodains lift up to Avoriaz as a starting point and heading over to the Swiss side. Or are there any buses that can take you a lot further to other resorts? If the skiing is terrible then an hour each way to another resort would be time well spent.

Thanks

BB
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Badbobby, bus services not that frequent, if at all.

Nothing an hour away (by road) much better.

Short breaks don't favour low resorts, just resorts near airports.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Badbobby, There is the option of Glacier 3000 http://www.glacier3000.ch/en and as the name suggests is at 3000m. It's at the other end of the lake from Geneva. Quite pricey and it would take you some time to get there but if the weather is clear it might be a good option. If all else fails......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be fair, it's our first trip away without our 8 month old.

So if all else fails then I would have thought that 3 lie-ins, afternoons spent drinking wine and eating fondue will be more than a good use of the time!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading to Morzine on Boxing day - If I could cancel now I would Crying or Very sad
Forecast to put that final nail in the coffin of wishing for a big dump of snow!
http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/archive/snow-forecast-22-12-2015/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Now, I do understand that some people have no choice at all but to go at/before Christmas, but for everyone else it does slightly beg the question "Why take the risk?" Bearing in mind the cost and limited amount of holiday most people get I can't help feeling that booking at Christmas is a touch rash. Of cause, you MIGHT have fabulous snow but a 50/50 chance? No thanks.
I understand your point about not taking the risk, and that's probably the advice I would give if anyone asked me. But I would also suggest that if Christmas works for you for whatever reason then you can minimise the risk to acceptable levels by choosing your resort with a bit of care. Principally you should book, in whatever country you choose, a resort which has easy access to high terrain, has a good network of snow cannons, and possibly includes a skiable glacier.

We've skied the last 15+ Christmases in either the Courchevel, Val d'Isere or Les Arcs and the ratio of bad years to good years is significantly better than the 50:50 that Ben from Chalet 1066 in Les Gets described in his blog. But for me the main point is that even in bad years, such last year and this year, there has still been plenty of skiing available which we have enjoyed. Our expectations might change in the poor conditions, so we probably won't ski first lift til last, will spend a bit more time on sun terraces enjoying the scenery and being in the mountains, perhaps take more walks, etc, but for us that's still an enjoyable week. I've skied hundreds of weeks across 30+ years and only for one of those weeks I've not skied, and that was a trip at Easter a few years ago when we couldn't be bothered to schlep across to the other side of Les Arcs to get to the pistes which were still open. Instead we walked, biked, took some day trips to other places, etc. It was still a nice week in summertime temperatures, but I'm sure for those people who were in resort for their one and only week that season would have been as disappointed as my friends are in Les Gets this week.

Having focused on minimising the negatives, as a glass-half-full kind of person I should probably say that I've had some utterly brilliant conditions in December. Waist deep powder on the opening day of the season. Powder on piste when there have been so few people in resort you recognise them from day to day. Waking up on Christmas Day to squeaky fresh snow. Fabulous fireworks. Skiing Santas and smiles on even the surliest of lifties. Sunbathing in base layers and watching kids flying on to the airbag with whoops of delight. Synchro skiing displays and torchlight descents. Meeting up with old friends. Heading to a secret stash on New Year's Day and lapping line after line of fresh tracks. And so many more memories.

So, why ski in December when there is more of a risk of poor snow than February or March? Plenty that I can think of - you are a keen skier and don't want to wait. You have annual leave that you need to use before the end of the year or you'll lose it. You can get a full week of skiing but only use a few day's leave when you don't have many days left. You can pick up some first-week-of-the-season bargains. You like the Christmassy atmosphere in resort. You like the New Year parties in resort. It's a nice time of year to get together with your family. It's a good way to escape your family during the holiday season. You've done it for years and always enjoyed it. If you choose carefully you can minimise the risk.

Really enjoyed reading that
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skied Avoriaz today. It is not as bad as last year but some areas (main Avoriaz area- Arare/ Stafe were super busy 10-15min queues for the lifts. Lindarets was lovely and quiet and had some of the better snow. They're working miracles up there with snow making - NY looks more of a worry to me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skied Pre la Joux for a couple of hours this morning accompanying a beginner lesson. Very tough conditions for them. Pistes very hard and icy.

Relatively quiet first thing.

Lots of people going far too fast.

I saw three ambulances pick up within about a 20 mins window this morning Skullie
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going for New Year - lie-ins, day trips to places like Annecy, and spa days!

Shame about the weather.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still driving on summer tyres which is worrying. But the guests are all saying it is better than last Christmas and not too unhappy. Think with the numbers New Year may be a bit more trying.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Overheard someone in morzine saying they were closing next week. Not sure how true that is but can believe it. We practically had the piste to ourselves today in pleney it was so quiet. Avoriaz was pretty rammed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alj wrote:
@Badbobby, There is the option of Glacier 3000 http://www.glacier3000.ch/en and as the name suggests is at 3000m. It's at the other end of the lake from Geneva. Quite pricey and it would take you some time to get there but if the weather is clear it might be a good option. If all else fails......

Glacier 3000 is nice, we called in there last year when PDS was closed....They weren, t happy to sell "outsiders" passes, as they were busy.
Easy drive thro Aigle, say 2 hours from Geneva.
There were several main TO advertising there. Although our hotelliers own son was skiing there at that same time.
Pretty areas we saw. Nice village but cant comment on pists.
An easy 1 hour from Champery.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/les-gets-to-open.html

is this true ???
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dabber wrote:

is this true ???

Yup, definitely true. Dunno what they're planning on riding though as the old World Cup track looks to have been filled since I last ride here. Crankworks coming to Mont Chery the next few years though so should bring some welcome investment...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dashed wrote:
Dabber wrote:

is this true ???

Yup, definitely true. Dunno what they're planning on riding though as the old World Cup track looks to have been filled since I last ride here. Crankworks coming to Mont Chery the next few years though so should bring some welcome investment...

They've recently built the Airline trail on Mt Chery, which should provide a nice intro for any frustrated skiers trying out mountain biking for the first time:

http://en.lesgets.com/gets-airline-dh-524244.html
snow report
New online weather station at the top of Rosta in Les Gets. Near real-time temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure and snow depth.
snow report
loved skiing off back of mont chery , and thought it would be an ace mtb area , will definatly get out there to ride it Very Happy
snow report
Heading to Les Gets with the family on Sunday. Took them for (their) first time last Christmas week when the conditions were described as being "the worst start to the season in 50 years". I remember being astonished at turning up at the chalet and the village being literally green. They brought snow down the mountain so our 3 year old could do his 'piou piou' class. The 5 year old went up the Chavanne and was able to learn on ropey but reasonable conditions. I was taken out to Avoriaz which was the only skiable area but you could only get a pass if you booked lessons. I just wondered, is it likely to be that bad again next week when we go? I hate to post what seems like a negative post, and I know things can change reasonable quickly (we left last year the day after an absolute blizzard which was unexpected), but I am trying to get a real sense of just how poor conditions are. In particular, is there any skiing at Les Gets at all? Can you get down to the restaurants in the Ranfolly bowl from the top of the Chavanne? Or is Avoriaz the only realistic option? Thanks anyone who could give me an indication!
snow report
@jboyd39221, I will wait and see what answers you get as we are also due to arrive at our chalet on Sunday. We have our grandchildren booked in with 360 ski school so hopefully we will hear something from them.
ski holidays
There is limited skiing in Les Gets. I haven't bothered to go there so I cannot give more details. My daughters friend is an esf instructor there and he says it's grim. They are closing the lifts early each day to preserve the snow.
What does their website say?
snow report
My optimism of a week ago has deserted me Sad

It's poor.

Scraped icy pistes, death cookies and sugary old cannoned snow in places.

Lots of skiers on pistes they wouldn't normally be on as easier options are closed.

The are shipping snow in by truck and helicopter!

I'm not doing much at all.
snow conditions
Just got back from a few days in Chatel. The runs that are open aren't in great shape. The pistes are very icy. Its not great for beginners as they are going to find the pistes very difficult to ski on and for those that are experienced at skiing on ice will not find it much fun as the runs are very busy with lots of people struggling to descend.

All the runs are open are relying on the artificial base that was made at the end of November but they are really struggling. In the couple of days I was out there was a couple of lifts that shut because the runs servicing them got too low on snow.

The top of the Linga, Pre La Joux, Les Lindarets and stuff out the back of Avoriaz is open at the moment. Super Chatel, Morzine, Les Gets and the whole swiss side pretty much has no snow.
ski holidays
Having "got away with" a few cheeky days in Selva Val Gardena last week (conditions were surprisingly good..!) we're off to Les Gets on Sunday. Clearly we're not going to be lucky a second time, so we'll be packing the walking boots and board games, and hoping the sun keeps shining.

I'm aware of one good (family) walk from the Mont Chery gondola across toward Le Mont Caly and then back down into the village. There must be others like this, and I'd be extraordinarily grateful if any of SH's LG residents / frequent visitors could point me in the right direction. I'm looking for easy walks that my 6 and 8 year olds will be comfortable with, so probably 5-10k and no major climbs. Lift up / walk down would be ideal.

All suggestions gratefully received! Thank you in advance.
snow conditions
sarah wrote:
My optimism of a week ago has deserted me Sad
The are shipping snow in by truck and helicopter!

Indeed filmed this in Avoriaz Le Fornet today -
http://youtube.com/v/PC8wzUK_OaM
ski holidays
IanTr wrote:
Having "got away with" a few cheeky days in Selva Val Gardena last week (conditions were surprisingly good..!) we're off to Les Gets on Sunday. Clearly we're not going to be lucky a second time, so we'll be packing the walking boots and board games, and hoping the sun keeps shining.

I'm aware of one good (family) walk from the Mont Chery gondola across toward Le Mont Caly and then back down into the village. There must be others like this, and I'd be extraordinarily grateful if any of SH's LG residents / frequent visitors could point me in the right direction. I'm looking for easy walks that my 6 and 8 year olds will be comfortable with, so probably 5-10k and no major climbs. Lift up / walk down would be ideal.

All suggestions gratefully received! Thank you in advance.

Catch the 'E' bus from Morzine all the way up to Erigne (10 mins). From the bus stop there is a lovely, easy walk (20-30 mins) up to Lac de Mines D'Or where you can have a picnic on a lakeside bench and take in the spectactular views of the huge cliffs of Terre Maudite. There are a number of circular walks up there, it is a stunning and quiet area that feels a million miles away from Morzine.
snow report
Is it really THAT bad???? There are a lot of people suggesting that part of Les Gets is open and that there is some decent skiing in Avoriaz ... any chance we could have an accurate (i.e. neither a doomsayer, or overly optimistic) understanding of what the conditions are like for those arriving in Les Gets (with the ability to get up to Avoriaz if necessary) for the next week???? Thanks!
latest report
Ok, so here's my take on the last 2 days in PDS... If it helps for a bit of background, I've skied for about 30 years and have visited Les Gets / Morzine prob a dozen or more times, including the last 3 Christmas's / NY.

Les Gets - not skied it yet, Mont Chery is closed as far as skiing goes (as far as I'm aware). There's a couple of strips of snow down to resort level on the other side and chavannes is running. I understand there are a few runs up in ranfolly bowl open but not been up there.

Morzine - pretty much shut. Pleney is greener than I've seen it in July!

Avoriaz - not really skied there yet - rumours are its very busy and Fornet bowl is very thin. They've been airlifting snow in by heli!

Went up mossette today - Swiss side is literally brown, and down lift only on mossette-Swiss. The blue back down to ardent is a combo of bullet-proof ice and thing slushy cover with rocks poking through.

Best conditions we've found have been in Plaine Dranse / Linga area, but even there it's a case of finding the balance between solid ice and soft slush - and it's all artificial snow.

It's pretty much impossible to carve a turn on anything that hasn't been in the sun as its so icy, and anything in the sun is slushy and brown. Stories of the pisteurs having to help people down off runs in chatel as it was so bad. Marie in Morzine has asked locals to keep off the slopes and save the snow for the tourists until fresh arrives...

We've had some fun over the last couple of days but, being totally honest, these are the worst conditions I've skied. Ever. On the plus-side, it's relatively quite for this time of year - managed to park in second row in Ardent at about 11am today. Unheard of this time of year!

Sorry to be bringer of bad news Sad Enjoy the sunshine, ski a bit, have a long lunch and enjoy being in the mountains. And bring your old skis or make sure you take insurance on the rentals (btw - 40% discount on rentals from evasion sports in Les Gets without even asking).
latest report
sarah wrote:
Does anyone know if there is an Avoriaz only season pass? Website would seem to suggest not.

Just thinking that if I got a Chatel season pass at the early bird rate and if there was an Avoriaz one at a good price then that would do. Not sure I can justify a full PDS season pass this year.

Not sure there is, we couldn't see one anyway. Think you can get a day one though. Didn't think Avoriaz was that bad yesterday, albeit probably quiet being Christmas Day. Some ropey bits of course but some nice runs too, certainly worth getting out of bed for.

And if all else fails...

http://youtube.com/v/FMqADdsVmwQ
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been here 10 days so far and we're all having a great time. Skied in Les gets about a week ago and it was ok, not a lot open but what was open was in hard piste condition and enjoyable enough. The kids lessons then moved to Avoriaz, so we've been there every morning. Conditions and how busy the slopes are has varied every day, but generally the pistes that are open are in good shape, except for the Fornet bowl. Around Lindarets and down to Ardent is the best area for both snow and emptier slopes.
Not sure If things will get worse this week with NY, but hopefully we'll get some snow midweek.
snow report
Yes there is an Avoriaz season pass- it's 470€

I haven't skied again since earlier in the week but my family have been out every day and are managing to spend all day out skiing in Avoriaz.

One of our group- a total beginner managed to get a 2hr private lesson for 120€!! Bargain. She went to the top of the Pleney and she enjoyed the lesson up there.

We have other friends arriving next week for a few days. Luckily they're not skiers- lots of walks I think.

To whoever asked about walks- grab an ordinance survey style map from the Tourist office or big Carrefour - there are some fab walks from Les Gets.
ski holidays
Can anyone tell me which lifts will be open in Les Gets tomorrow?
Cheers,Bob
latest report
Have just returned from a week in Avoriaz and it is definitely skiable but not much fun. The slopes are icy and crowded but the standard of skiing is reckless, I have never seen such bad etiquette. The resort is full of young fast skiers going straight down the icy slopes with no thought for those ahead. The pistes need policing in some way but realistically there are simply too many skiers as everyone has to converge onto Avoriaz as there is no snow elsewhere.
ski holidays
We have arrived at our chalet in Les Gets quickly followed by son and family from the US. we have been here 16 years and they have never seen our garden before. The grandchildrens lessons will be happening tomorrow on the Chavannes, with 360, and apparently they can buy a weeks pass as lessons booked but no one rise can buy more than two days at a time. I don't think though that the rest of the family will bother at the moment.
snow report
Well for obvious reasons our expectations were extremely low, but we actually had a very enjoyable day today skiing avoriaz and chatel, without skiing the same piste twice. Starting in ardent, through avoriaz to grande combes, across to fornet and choucas, back through avoriaz to brochaux, up and back down mosettes, lunch on a sunny terrace, then an afternoon on the chatel side to linga and back. Snow mostly artificial, but fun despite the ice and stones. Tougher for beginners, but surprisingly quiet - maybe due to the green slopes, or maybe everyone arrived today... Let's see how it holds up, snow due at the end of the week it would seem.
snow conditions
can someone remind me of the name of the goat village nr linderets and what is the best of the restaurants there for lunch ??
cheers snowHead
snow report
Thanks for the many updates.

I'm flying to morzine tomorrow for a short break and was going to ski in the afternoon when we get there - I'm guessing that's it's probably not worth doing that as the "best" snow will be first thing.

Best to pencil in a walk for tomorrow? If so, what would you recommend for a nice walk, good meal and view? Nicer the food the better as the Mrs sells wine for a living so we like fairly poncy grub.

Also, what are the best places for eating in the evening? We are away from our 8 month old so would like to take advantage of it!!

I'll feedback to the thread once I'm there.

Thanks

BB
ski holidays
Alt.1490 Exclusif in Cote D'Abroz is worth a trip including a walk.
La Grange, La Chamade, Clin D'Oeil and La Chaudanne have all been good this week. Book everything as its HEAVING in town.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee

Many thanks. I've sent reservation requests to la grange and chaudanne and will walk to the alt 1490 as we are staying at that end of Morzine.
snow report
Delivery coming up to Avoriaz today, spotted on our way down

http://youtube.com/v/19FDsNuJT7U
snow report
@Dabber, "Goat village" is Linderets Little Angel . The Linderets you're referring to is Linderets plateau. We think La Terrasse is the best, but as always it's different strokes for different folks. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy