Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
@crosbie, I think they are generally referred to as pisteurs.

@Nickbrad, when we first got our season passes 15 years ago we just took our taxe d'habitation and maybe an EDF bill down to where the passes were being sold and then once we were in the system they just renew each year although as we reached the seniors age we had to ask for that to be amended. In Les Gets we generally sort out the passes at the tourist office before the season starts and get the insurance done at the same time. They just sit st different desks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pamski wrote:
@crosbie, I think they are generally referred to as pisteurs.

Or even Pisteur-secouriste. I thought 'piste monitor' was a more informative term to the English reader (hence why I used it rather than what I thought was a French term), but perhaps there's a better one? Or are you saying that 'pisteur' is the English term supposedly generally and readily understood by English skiers?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems the Americans call them 'ski patrollers', and so perhaps that becomes the English term? However, we do seem to prefer the French 'piste' to the American 'trail' ('trail checker'?). So, perhaps 'piste patroller' is better than my impromptu 'piste monitor'?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@crosbie,
Quote:

Or are you saying that 'pisteur' is the English term supposedly generally and readily understood by English skiers?

Yes.

But I think that the American ski patrollers are the guys that do talk to out of control and dangerous skiers - I have seen them standing at pinchpoints and waving down hullaballoos from a safety point of view.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic conditions today, especially after yesterday's little top-up. Nearly empty pistes too and some great spring snow in the slack country.

Does anyone know which areas/lifts are open tomorrow? We are staying in Aigle and are reliant on public transport. I think champery is close which is a shame.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@crosbie, I had a look at what it said on the guy's arm yesterday and under the yellow cross were the words Ski Patrol.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pamski, jolly good. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some pics from my last day on thursday....nice to have thousands of chairs to choose from for the slush olympics

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
May highlights: a few hike and slides early on

Then a tough climb to the Evian Peaks mid month

More snow 23rd May

Was amazed to see 2 skips full of skis and snowboards at the decheterie in Essert. Guy said they were all recovered from the hills! Buried or abandoned. What a waste.

But right now resort is busy building scary looking bike ramps, stands and jump parks for the Crankworx event
http://www.crankworx.com/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those skis all look rather old - ancient!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well the guy was filling the skip this week from a truck, carefully lobbing them in one by one.....it's unlikely they were stored elsewhere, I even asked if they were ex-rentals....he said no.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seriously I can see:

Rossi 7G (1989)
Couple of pairs of Dynamic VR25 (1987?)
What looks to be the tails of some Rossis from about 1979
?Salomon Force 8s (1990)
On top some Salomon Equipe 9s (1990)

not new nor recently used skis (I hope...!!) Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tapping into the snow heads collective for advise on best site for local PDS weather forecast.

A group of approx 40 of us are going PDS next week for the Morzine Road bike Sportve on the 19th and current long range forecast on the popular sites, aaccuweather, Francemeteo, Bbc etc is lots of rain. I am trying to quell the panic and dissapointment in the group by suggesting these forecasts are not localised and too far out being over a week away.

Could someone advise the best local weather forecast to use and from how many days out do they become reliable?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, best Wx forecast from Chamonix http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

Note that they won't even think of forecasting more than 5 days out.

I also like https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/chamonix_france_3027301 for trends.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, I had a quick look and went away again. What we often find in the mountains in the summer is that the rain really tips down late afternoon, or that the downpours are short lived.
snow conditions
@Pamski, that would be the well known and common "diurnal instability" then, wouldn't it? wink
latest report
@Pamski, @under a new name, thanks - it's very helpful.
snow report
@under a new name, I will remember that then, diurnal instability, might sound as if I know what I am talking about!
snow report
Cycled up from the village to ranfolly today, about 600m vertical. At midday of course.
Snaps from the Col de Joux Plane over towards Mont Blanc. Middle two are top and bottom shots of the Chamossiere red run.

snow conditions
@langball, it was indeed looking glorious up there today,. We walked across from the Chavannes to the Vaffieu a d on to Pleney, coffee stop and back again, lazy afternoon in the sun reading, with a bit of gardening and I have e just had a quick swim in the lake near us.
ski holidays
@Pamski, sounds more relaxing than my trip, I might catch a lift next time. Saw the lake was nice and quiet today for a change.
snow report
@langball, nice and quiet! I don't think so... The Morzine horses seemed to be enjoying themselves around there too just as I arrived but were shooed away by a policeman who happened to be there.
snow conditions
Looks lovely!! Been home just over a week now and as usual am missing the place again Sad

Had a lovely couple of weeks back in Chatel with day trips here and there.

Fab in the summer as in the winter!

@Pamski, keep on enjoying!
snow conditions
@sarah, we will try! The weather is looking really good for the next few days. It will be a hard day tomorrow as we are walking up to La Paika for lunch..

Both of our UK based grown up children, son and daughter, have spent time here in our chalet this summer joined by quite a few of their friends and have had really good holidays here. Five couples and five one year old babies were here for a week and they had lots of days out mixed with great hikes, swimming in the different lakes, chalet seemed to survive and amazingly also the washing machine!
Daughter, family and their friends were here last week and again had a terrific time with so many things going on to keep small people happy.
ski holidays
@Pamski, I agree it's a great summer holiday destination!
ski holidays
An Avoriaz/Chatel/Morzine/Les Gets 2016/2017 thread has now been set up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy