Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is wrong with people?

Poster: A snowHead
spoke to a hotel owner in valtournenche last year and he said that Italians only really go out if it's a perfect day and likes the fact that other nationalities usually just go out regardless

if I can see enough I'm out there
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spoke to a hotel owner in valtournenche last year and he said that Italians only really go out if it's a perfect day and likes the fact that other nationalities usually just go out regardless

if I can see enough I'm out there
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My OH just quotes Rule 5 and me and gives me a spoonful of cement Laughing I drew the line last Christmas Day though when small boy was getting blown of the side of runs and I kept losing him in a whiteout. Each to their own I guess. My main problem with whiteout is that I have floaters in one eye (no smutty jokes please) and these are really annoyingly visible in a whiteout so if anyone has any miracle optical cures.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll go out in anything but might call it a day a bit early if I really can't see a thing and it's freezing and blowing horizontal snow at you on the lifts. I personally don't find that very enjoyable!!

However, skiing in fresh snow while it's snowing is magical.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll (try to) ski in anything and want to spend as much of my holiday as possible on the snow. However, different people have different expectations and enjoy different things on holiday. For example, I can never figure out why people spend a couple of hours lunching / sitting outside restaurants when they could be skiing BUT if that is what they enjoy doing then who am I to question it. They paid to be on the mountain the same as I did and are entitled to enjoy it however they see fit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Each to their own. Just because the buffet says all you can eat doesn't mean you have to.

Some people go on a thing called a ski holiday, other people go skiing, there is a difference.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must say that I am less of a holiday person, more of a skiing person, despite the fact that I ski only once a year and with the panache of bambi on ice. The rest of the Dobby household didn't like the whiteouts in Norway last year. Mainly 'cos their masks were for sunny conditions. Schoolboy, or should I say, schoolgirl error. Moi, was fine in my expensive mask with interchangeable lenses. Snigger.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

Personally, I would shoot them at dawn

Is that before being hung, drawn and quartered? Laughing

Different strokes for different folks. Some peeps ski in all conditions some don't. As long as everyone is having a good time Toofy Grin
I would shoot them at dawn too, not so much for not skiing but complaining that they only skied for two days, that was their choice. the only way to learn in flat light is to ski in it. Had a dirty snow storm when we were in ischgl, I thought it was clever that piste patrol marked the top piste with blue so we knew which way was down, it was hard to tell. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Learning to ski or improve your skiing in flat light is one thing, and going out to ski in a bad blizzard is something totally different and perhaps in many instances stupid.

Once you've taken part in avalanche rescues or maybe had to dig people up, and I don't mean just reading a book on it, then you tend to get a bit more respect for the mountains/weather.

I saw many stupid people in stupid places today, clearly far from terrain that would have better suited their level of ability.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

geezonaires*

Quote:

*Seasonaires of a certain maturity

Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the 12/13 season, we skied 35 days, on two continents, and could only see for 5 of them. I felt really hard done by. However, the next season when the lights were turned back on, my word had my skiing improved! I look back at it as a very difficult training year, but I have been so much better at feeling my skis ever since.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GottaCatchEmAll, a few of us were skiing the stade on Friday in Alpe d'huez, and indeed viz was poor but what fantastic snow! Did you get to ski Saturday when the sun came out?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mayr wrote:
Learning to ski or improve your skiing in flat light is one thing, and going out to ski in a bad blizzard is something totally different and perhaps in many instances stupid.

Once you've taken part in avalanche rescues or maybe had to dig people up, and I don't mean just reading a book on it, then you tend to get a bit more respect for the mountains/weather.

I saw many stupid people in stupid places today, clearly far from terrain that would have better suited their level of ability.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Blizzard skiing is not always dangerous – it's usually the day after a blizzard that is dangerous, once all that snow has fallen. Even if it is a high avi risk, you can still ski safely in a blizzard if you stick to the right aspects, the right gradients and know the snowpack.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mayr wrote:

Balls, storm skiing in the trees is about as fun as skiing gets.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
storm skiing in the trees is about as fun as skiing gets.

I've just had five days of storm skiing on the trot and I have to say I heartily agree!
snow conditions
I think you didn't understand my previous post......'bad blizzard' is what I wrote......ie = high winds, very poor visibilty. At no time did I state 'skiing in blizzards is always dangerous'.
snow report
The key word is holiday; it's not an endurance test or a military exercise (I've endured enough of those, thank you very much!). Do what you want when you want for as long as you want! Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

I think you didn't understand my previous post......'bad blizzard' is what I wrote......ie = high winds, very poor visibilty. At no time did I state 'skiing in blizzards is always dangerous'.

lol you don't like it when other people misquote you.... maybe you wont do it to others in the future rolling eyes
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
skiing in fresh snow while it's snowing is magical.

Amen to that. I am not a hard core skier by any means. But that sensation of powder through the legs and snow coming down from the sky is out of this world. I have a photo my wife took of my three adult children and me in such conditions in Lech on Christmas Day a few years back. I almost cry every time I look at it, it makes me feel so happy
latest report
@geeo, Another attempt at an insult.....keep practicing Laughing Not my fault people can't read.
ski holidays
lynnecha wrote:
In the 12/13 season, we skied 35 days, on two continents, and could only see for 5 of them. I felt really hard done by. However, the next season when the lights were turned back on, my word had my skiing improved! I look back at it as a very difficult training year, but I have been so much better at feeling my skis ever since.
You know that is a great point, I noticed too after skiing for a few days in flat light with snow falling and sympathising with blind skiers, that when the sun came out I had far better control of my skis, I suppose I learned to feel the skis, and to trust the skis. I suppose it is a bit like riding a horse, you can have all the theory you like but until you get him under control yourself you really don't get it.
snow conditions
Quote:

@geeo, Another attempt at an insult.....keep practicing

No I don't think so, just stating facts sorry if you find the truth insulting, or you just don't understand
Quote:

Not my fault people can't read.

Lol the hypocrisy is epic with this one, are you sure you're not TTT's lover Shocked
ski holidays
With only 6 days - who cares what the conditions are like. I get sick in whiteouts but hey I'd rather ski than not - however there is something nice about calling it a day early & getting a grande biere or vin chaud early.... Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@geeo, You just can't help yourself regarding making insults....no matter how persistent you are, I wont/cant sink to your level.

If you have nothing 'on topic' to add to a thread or are unable to come up with anything constructive, I would maybe suggest you don't submit anything. However, it is a free world so you can do what you like, but please don't expect any response from me to your remarks if you continue to follow/stalk me on this forum when ever I add a comment.
ski holidays
Having skiied in the most horrific conditions in scotland it would take the lifts to close to stop me going out.

That said not everyone likes it and one of our party last year burst into tears on the piste in heavy snow with knee deep conditions on piste. She loves skiing but not in those conditions whilst we were having a ball. Everyone is different
ski holidays
I love our (usually only once) annual ski holiday. And for us, it is about getting as much as we can from the holiday. We love to cram in as much as we can when the weather permits. We will aim to be up for the earliest lift we can face and will try and ski as long as the legs hold out. We also enjoy a long lunch maybe once or twice a week, a few days we will have eaten far too much for brek and wont stop for lunch and it'll be a snack on the lift; other days it'll be a half hour bowl of chips/beer/quick unclip of the boots and back off again. If we had too much vino the night before, it's ok if we're not out until 10. There's no hard or fast rules really. I've learnt not to beat myself up for not skiing until last lift and last time we were away I actually downloaded ( I have been a "scoffer" before until I started to realise about managing my own safety and others!) as I felt the only run home into Val D was impacting my confidence, technique and making me stressed and upset. It was nice for my husband and bro-in-law who got a good blast down at the end of the day and I got to get the beers in.

That also said there were days where it was bombing it down with snow, poor vis, windy, freezing (talking -15 here at top of Val gondola Skullie) and we were knee deep in powder - absolutely loving it! there were the odd few moment where we thought about calling it a day but made our way into trees on the lower runs and had an absolute ball. The absolute best day of the week amidst a week of no snow and much ice during the so called snow drought! If we'd have called it at 11am we wouldn't have gotten to experience it. But thats just our choice. Understand that some people simply only wanna ski blue sky days which is fair enough. 20 years on I might say the same. 5 years I might say the same! I'm glad of the experience though that such conditions give as it makes me a more confident and aware skiier. That's compared the the first time it snowed on my first holiday up a mountain; I got vertigo and kept falling sideways as I couldn't orientate well enough!
ski holidays
Quote:

@geeo, You just can't help yourself regarding making insults....no matter how persistent you are, I wont/cant sink to your level.

If you have nothing 'on topic' to add to a thread or are unable to come up with anything constructive, I would maybe suggest you don't submit anything. However, it is a free world so you can do what you like, but please don't expect any response from me to your remarks if you continue to follow/stalk me on this forum when ever I add a comment.

really, get a grip there's no insults there.
If you don't like people pointing out you're a hypocrite then don't be a hypocrite it's quite simple, as for stalking you again get a grip you have been here 5 mins, wind you're anti basi neck in a bit.
snow report
Half of holiday skiers don't like to or simply can't ski in deep snow/storm/poor vis or whatever shocker. Yawn.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LOTA, no. It's an endurance test. That's the only way I can keep the daughters in check. They ski faster than me so I have to wear them down somehow. Very Happy
snow conditions
Its in line with the thread title, but a little tangential to the skiing when it's cold and you can't see squat angle.
On Sat AM upon arirval at PLJ carpark 5, two young French lads asked if we could winch their car out of the snow drift at the back of the car park. So we moved out of the space ( the last one ), winched them out, and parked up again. No sooner had we got parked then a Dutch couple in a rental BWM 530i asked us to winch them out too. Again we obliged.
Now, they could see we had gone there to go boarding and not to spend the day rescuing people who cannot tell the return piste from the car park edge.
I do not expect payment for this, but previously when I have winched people out of various ditches / snowdrifts, I have been given money, single malt whiskey, jack daniels, free snow board service, some new goggles, chocolates or been bought a drink on the piste. In defence of the 2 french lads, they had spent their money on the latest Black Crow skis, which were worth more than the car they were in, so their thanks, and the good karma is fine.
The Dutch couple on the other hand, had a BMW 530i ( with a huge insurance excess I imagine ), and very fancy kit, so were clearly not short of cash. It is not like this help is a zero cost to me either, as it uses diesel to run the motor, and to reverse back to pull them out (when winching heavy cars, you need to reverse too, or the winch will just pull my landy across the ice towards them), it also cost me and my family 15 minutes of our time that we could have been using to make fresh tracks in the newly fallen powder. But still no offer of a beer on similar was forthcoming. It just so happened that we saw this couple again at lunchtime in the resto at Super Chatel, and they even acknowledged us with a knowing wave, but did they offer to buy me a drink?
What IS wrong with people?
snow report
One thing stops me skiing after a short while..........RAIN!!!! Blooming miserable to be rained on wearing planks but then an excuse to hit a bar or two so hey ho........
snow report
@WindOfChange, Dutch you say?
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k wrote:
@WindOfChange, Dutch you say?

I thought the offer of a drink might bear a relation to the disposable income of the individual, rather than any geo-social influences.
snow report
you know it was they who invented wire right? Wink
(ex Dutch resident)
snow conditions
Bisonator wrote:
One thing stops me skiing after a short while..........RAIN!!!! Blooming miserable to be rained on wearing planks but then an excuse to hit a bar or two so hey ho........

I'm ok skiing in rain, but usually call it a day when my n**s get wet Laughing
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Mrs DJL is Dutch. Like a Yorkshireman with all the genorosity squeezed out of him! (I'm a Yorkshireman before anyone starts)
latest report
LOL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I had no idea that it was a cultural thing - I just thought "What is wrong with these people ?"
If somebody had towed my 40K car (not that I have such a thing) out of a drift I'd at least offer get them a beer.
ski holidays
geeo wrote:
Quote:

@geeo, You just can't help yourself regarding making insults....in.Toofy Grin matter how persistent you are, I wont/cant sink to your level.

really, get a grip there's no insults there.
If you don't like people pointing out you're a hypocrite then don't be a hypocrite it's quite simple, as for stalking you again get a grip you have been here 5 mins, wind you're anti basi neck in a bit.

There you go, despite my friendly suggestion.....you just can't stop some people from making a fool of themselves.

1. I am not anti BASI
2. I have not been here for just 5 minutes.....not that it should matter if I had.

Strikes me there are a lot of characters on this forum who have similar traits of jumping to assumptions and believing that everyone should share their belief.

Clearly I am dealing with a superior being or 'member' here and I should wind my neck in Toofy Grin
ski holidays
mayr, geeo, perhaps you two would care to get a room?
ski holidays
@Zero_G,

Yeah thanks Zero G.

This character seems to have a different agenda or chip on shoulder and is distracting other people from the topic in discussion.

I am ignoring the person, and think this is probably the best strategy to follow.

Ironic that this has happened on this thread considering it's title! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy