Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is wrong with people?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just spent the last couple of days playing around Alpe d'huez in powder anywhere between boot and neck deep, knackered but generally having a great time whilst at least half of the people in our chalet either didn't go out at all or lasted an hour at most. Same discussions in the airport with loads of people not having skied the last 2 days due to "poor light". Seriously, what is wrong with people? lol snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I actually love stormy type conditions and if the snow is fresh I don't care what I can see. Also there's always less people around. I suppose if you're not feeling that confident, and most English speaking skiers won't be particularly good since we don't have regular access to the slopes, skiing when you don't really know which way is up or down may be problematic.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not everyone knows how to ski neck deep powder.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beginners and early intermediates find it difficult in conditions where there's lots of snow. Hardly a point of reference for a thread to mock them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe not everyone's cup of tea?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Better for us them
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I certainly wouldn't mock people, and each to their own, but I've never really understood it either. I remember skiing in such conditions when I was a beginner/intermediate and although I fell over more and it was more tiring, I still had a great time and it didn't stop me going out. Way before I could actually ski powder I still thought it was the most fun thing in the world! But I was very surprised when I ran a chalet to discover that the majority of people don't actually ski all day every day when they are on a ski holiday. It truly was a revelation!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I get nauseous in very flat light.

My oh won't ski in the rain.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GottaCatchEmAll, I love being out there in the stormy weather and zero viz - Adventure with a capital A.

It helps to have lots of outdoor experience in other areas and also to have some decent kit.

Nothing wrong with the others though - they just don't dig it
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GottaCatchEmAll, you try and start a light hearted thread and then peeps all go get offended Laughing

Personally, I would shoot them at dawn wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Personally, I would shoot them at dawn

Is that before being hung, drawn and quartered? Laughing

Different strokes for different folks. Some peeps ski in all conditions some don't. As long as everyone is having a good time Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the answer is each to their own. Some people consider that because you have booked a ski holiday nothing less than skiing first lift to last lift with food and drink eaten on lifts is enough. If someone looks out of the window and thinks "I'm on holiday, it is not an exam, I want to laze around the resort to day and potter about" that seems fine to me. They have paid their money m they can take their choice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

I'm ok(ish) in flat light but get nauseous in full whiteout. That said, storm skiing is my favourite but it took me a while to develop enough skiing skill to absolutely love it. What red 27 said, good gear is essential for the comfort factor.

Suffice it say, I've been in my element these last few days and certainly don't mind one little bit that a good proportion of people prefer to stay off the mountain in a storm; more fresh for me snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was thinking this recently while watching a TV series about teenagers abroad. They spent (or their parents did) a ton of money for a ski holiday, which as we all know aren't cheep, and then went out and got so plastered they couldn't get up till three o'clock in the afternoon. To late to ski. They had the chance for so much fun but could only think of how fast they could get off their faces, such a waste.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm nothing better than a distinctly average intermediate skier myself but if I've gone for my 1 week a year skiing and the snow falls then I will bloody well make the most of it Razz Ironically at the start of the week the same people were moaning about thin pistes, rocks and ice. I reckon some people simply prefer the theory of skiing to the actual reality Laughing
snow report
@GottaCatchEmAll, lots of people love a good moan - sometimes about people who moan wink
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
@GottaCatchEmAll, lots of people love a good moan - sometimes about people who moan wink

Meta-moaning is fun! Toofy Grin
snow report
@red 27, I don't think he's moaning - he's sharing observations.
snow report
@Shimmy Alcott

No, GottaCatchEmAll is not merely "sharing observations", he's putting other people down and in doing so bigging himself up.
snow report
@irie, lighten up.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

Me too, and fwiw I'm with irie.
snow report
I used to try to get out in all conditions and saw it as my duty to be out at the crack of dawn (much to the annoyance of some that I would chalet share with back then) to the last lift but different now. Also some aren't there just to ski, its a a holiday too and these days I dont always ski when the conditions don't make for a good time. And try being out with kids when its too cold/wet/windy....

But shouldn't be a cause for complaint for those who do get out there, think of all those wide open spaces with no-one else about. So all good for all really.
ski holidays
Sigh
ski holidays
GottaCatchEmAll wrote:
I reckon some people simply prefer the theory of skiing to the actual reality Laughing

This pretty much. Some people seem to have a definition of skiing that is perfect blue sky and perfect groomersvwith little thought for where that lovely lovely snow comes from.
latest report
@Shimmy Alcott, lighten up wink
snow report
Flat light? dangly bits- it's just hard work and I can't be arsed.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Flat light? Bôllocks- it's just hard work and I can't be arsed.

ftfy wink
latest report
I get out in any conditions even when I know it will be horrible. Even if it's only for one run. Hard to improve skiing hero snow under blue skies. I draw a line at bad conditions, bad hangover and busy slopes all at the same time, but if one of the above is missing I'll be on a mountain. But I am happy when people are staying in on a powder day Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GottaCatchEmAll, think you're going to have to relocate to TGR. Ok, the rest of you, Mel and Sue are talking Great British Bake Off on ITV Toofy Grin NehNeh Toofy Grin NehNeh Toofy Grin NehNeh Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I've travelled all the way from Australia to ski in the alps. A bit of snow isn't going to stop me!

I did draw the line at torrential rain to the to top of the mountain in Hakuba, Japan a few years ago. No one was having fun that day.
ski holidays
Me and mrsthecramps got 172 miles of skiing in last week in 3v, flat light, low cloud, blizzard the lot, others in the chalet did less, some did more, but I heard no moaning. We would all have liked more sunshine, but it was way better than working. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@GottaCatchEmAll, yes, we get that you're a God in powder. Lesser mortals occasionally aren't as capable. Don't be smug.
snow report
I'm rubbish in more than shin deep powder. Was hoping to learn how last week, but there wasn't any and I did me thumb in.
ski holidays
@thecramps, +1, you are on your own skiing holiday, you have saved for it and enjoy it as you see fit. I honestly couldn't tell you how many days those that are there the same week as me ski, and nor do I care to pass judgement.
Neck deep powder.... How tall are you??
snow report
@dode, we saw a boarder up to his waist on his board but stuck, so he took it off. Then it was to his neck. Laugh? I nearly bought my own beer. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Waffle, it's thigh deep and still falling this week. Sorry.
snow report
Anybody claiming I'm bigging myself up and putting others down has clearly never seen me ski Laughing
ski holidays
Snowing quite well outside this morning here in Serre (see cam link in sig) and viz not too good but we're watching (dual screening) Murray in the Australian Open so what's that count as rolling eyes

Bad viz / snow = trees Cool

We were with three other couples, all geezonaires*, last night and I know others here, and none of them ski in bad viz and all think me and the OH are mildly barmy as to what we do.

*Seasonaires of a certain maturity Smile
ski holidays
Zero_G wrote:
under a new name wrote:

I'm ok(ish) in flat light but get nauseous in full whiteout

On a recommendation from homphomp, I tried using the bands you can get for travel sickness which seemed to help. Now known as wonky bands. Def stopped the worst of the horrid sensations Very Happy
ski holidays
Personally I find it amazing that people spend thousands on flights to places like Hawaii, Mexico, the Far East and then don't spend every minute of every day laying on a sunbed ? I mean, that's why you go to these places for - the sun right ?

Some people eh? Not as queer as folk they say.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy