Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland just became a LOT more expensive

Poster: A snowHead
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ I grew up in Aberdeen - so well aware of the effect that oil price slumps have on the local economy.
BP have laid off just 200 people from their Aberdeen total of 4000. (100 of them were contractors).
The north sea is no stranger to boom and bust. No doubt the current slump will be a challenge for the industry.
However Scotland will survive just fine (see GDP figures above) as it did in the 1980s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-30817678

The real question is what action will the UK government take now to support the industry ?
Surely tax breaks now make sense ? So that we still have viable and buoyant oil industry when the prices inevitably rise in 2-3 years time ?
After all the oil has under written entire UK economy for the past 30 years.

My family's from Ellon so not far away. Sadly we saw a lot of friends go out of business in the 80's when OPEC went to war with Thatcher. Unfortunately, I fear this slump is down to oversupply and an Asian slowdown rather than politicians playing games.
I hope it picks up as many friends and families run businesses up there but it's going to be very tough. The current prediction is for three years of low prices. The Scottish GDP is high but the oil money gets spent through the economy many times and Scotland will very much feel the effects. Norfolk is feeling it already and I have many friends down here worried about their jobs.
Scotland will be proteced to harm to some extent due to it's place in the union

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/mark-carney/11346331/Mark-Carney-Falling-oil-price-negative-shock-for-Scotland.html

Nobody cares about Norfolk though so we'll probably be stuffed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ the current slump is simply because the Saudis want to increase their market share in the longer term.
they will cut production when it suits them (i.e the US shale gas industry has gone bankrupt and the banks wont refinance it).
Peston has a good blog on todays BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30827910
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JohnnyC, it could all have changed by then. I don't think Switzerland could manage for long with such an exchange rate. Their industry would be crippled, especially the likes Stadler the railway train manufacturer that exports all over Europe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JohnnyC, or Italy?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, we considered Italy, but from a holiday standpoint, Austria and Switzerland feel more like Christmas than the others. It's important to us; we are from Southern California where we never see snow, except on ski trips.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sad Heading off on Saturday for the first of my 3 trips to CH. Why didn't they consult me on timing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ the current slump is simply because the Saudis want to increase their market share in the longer term.
they will cut production when it suits them (i.e the US shale gas industry has gone bankrupt and the banks wont refinance it).
Peston has a good blog on todays BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30827910

Just watching the 6 o'clock news. Main headline is BP cuts and effects on Scotland.
Unfortunately shale gas reserves are huge, particularly in Canada. I think Aberdeen is in a much healthier place to deal with things than in 1986 as they are now very much a world centre of technology and expertise in the industry rather simply a base for the North Sea. I think you're right about reducing taxes in the industry. We tax it to high heaven when things are going well. We need to reduce them now things are difficult.

On a positive note, Glenshee should have a good base after this week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
^ On a positive note, Glenshee should have a good base after this week.

Even I've been looking at Glencoe - never skied in Scotland (did a day once at Ski Weardale in England which was OK) - and when it's a nice day (can be infrequent) it looks quite good from the videos I watched on You Tube
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DixieDean, I've skied Cairngorm and really enjoyed it, going back for a weekend later in the year, I've never skied Glenco, but folks on here seem to rate it very highly!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="cameronphillips2000"]
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Unfortunately shale gas reserves are huge, particularly in Canada. I think Aberdeen is in a much healthier place to deal with things than in 1986 as they are now very much a world centre of technology and expertise in the industry rather simply a base for the North Sea. I think you're right about reducing taxes in the industry. We tax it to high heaven when things are going well. We need to reduce them now things are difficult.

Shale costs 90-100 dollars a barrel to extract.
There is loads of it worldwide, even here in uk
But the oil firms are desperaste to avoid it as it uplift costs are so high.
As the usa is now finding out the hard way...

As for glenshee, yip the 3 valleys should be in great condition for weekend Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
have we wandered off topic Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mmmm quite a bit of thread drift here (again Twisted Evil ).

Back on topic I wonder how much Cristal is being quietly supped tonight in Geneva/Zurich by those who got a whisper in the ear.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="Haggis_Trap"][quote="cameronphillips2000"]
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Shale costs 90-100 dollars a barrel to extract.
There is loads of it worldwide, even here in uk
But the oil firms are desperaste to avoid it as it uplift costs are so high.
As the usa is now finding out the hard way...

If only it were just about economics. America loves cheap energy, but it doesn't like being dependant on Arabs. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out nearer elections.
Meanwhile the continual combustion of fossils fuels increasing levels of CO2 in the atmosphere will, no doubt bring very warm spell to Europe in a few weeks, destroying our beloved pistes in Glenshee and further afield. Invest in companies making snow cannons..........
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great. I was going to change £650 into Francs tomorrow morning rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why did Switzerland do this?

That is what we should be focussed on.

Something's going on or about to go down. Best guess Greece is going to be leaving Euro imminently. That will cause Euro meltdown CHF doesn't want to be part of
latest report
Another stupid question. ( i have been drinking. ).

Why all these sudden calls for tax breaks? If my companies revenue stream starts making less money hmrc aren't going to cut my vat and other taxes.

Simple view, either a company is making a profit or not.

Though i understand it's not that simple.
snow report
Quote:
Why did Switzerland do this?

^ good question.
best guess seems to be EU about to introduce quantitative easing ?

UKIP voting brits like to have wet dreams about a melt down in the euro zone.
however actually its a very strong currency
over the last 10 years the euro has significantly out performed the £.
though it is probably over due a correction now ?

RE : tax breaks. someone went off topic and we were talking about oil
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, currencies don't "perform"....

wink
ski holidays
@peanuthead, as @Haggis_Trap, alludes, CH has been buying up € amongst others to depress the CHF. If the ECB suddenly start printing €s, the SNB might as well just start transferring money to the ECB, making a bigger mockery of the whole farce that is FX.

So they pulled the pin, no doubt reserving the option (sic) to replace it once things have stabilised following €QE.

Gold standard anyone?
latest report
As one who only skis in CH, I think it's a good thing. We've been living in cloud cuckoo land for too long. This won't make much difference to the average visitor, but it gets us back to reality. Sterling will do ok, and if it doesn't we've only got ourselves to blame.
snow report
@telford_mike, hmmm, but if you look at real life purchase price parity, this just sends things even more out of kilter.
ski holidays
@under a new name, confidence is everything - investors trust the Swissies to repay. Not so much the rest of us I guess Puzzled
latest report
@Haggis_Trap, ah, fond memories of that graph....

I set up my business on that nice wee stable-looking plateau in early 2008, then had my first winter clients a few months later...
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
Another stupid question. ( i have been drinking. ).

Why all these sudden calls for tax breaks? If my companies revenue stream starts making less money hmrc aren't going to cut my vat and other taxes.

Simple view, either a company is making a profit or not.

Though i understand it's not that simple.

Welfare for the rich; austerity for the poor. It's been going on for centuries.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, currencies don't "perform"....

wink

UBS, CITI, JPM, RBS, HSBC might disagree with you on that wink
ski holidays
Now CHF1.29 / GBP Evil or Very Mad

Better get used to it.
ski holidays
Unintended consequences, or more really just collateral damage:

- "The Swiss Market Index (SMI) of equities slid as much as 14 percent, the biggest decline since 1988, and Swatch Group (UHR) AG, tumbled."
- "Holcim Ltd., the world’s biggest cement maker, dropped 11 percent."
- and... a lot of Polish home loans are apparently denominated in CHF. That will hurt.

...and one more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-15/new-zealand-currency-broker-closes-on-losses-after-swiss-shock.html

A lot of banks and brokers would have taken a large hit.
ski holidays
@ALQ, nope. Currency trading performs. Currencies, per se, do not.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, it occurs to me, being far too early up, that the "market" ultimately wrong as always, believes that everyone else will buy CHFs as a safe haven currency, therefore it will remain strong.

It's also, by definition entirely liquid, so if you have (well, anachronistically) "hot roubles" it was any easy way to add into the cooling/laundering mix.
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:

- "The Swiss Market Index (SMI) of equities slid as much as 14 percent, the biggest decline since 1988, and Swatch Group (UHR) AG, tumbled."

Not for me, my Swiss shares just went up a bit in EUR terms.
latest report
Cheese-melting tossers...........
snow report
On the plus side for British tourists going to the Eurozone countries, Sterling surges to 7-year high against euro. Very Happy
And as regards the future outlook, Sterling is to climb relentlessly against the euro over the next three years and will reach levels last seen at the turn of the century, according to new forecasts by Goldman Sachs. Quote "The euro will drop to 0.65 against the pound by 2017, driven by capital inflows rather than trade effects. On an inverted basis, UK exchange rate would be €1.54 to the pound by 2017."

Not such good news for British exporters though.
ski holidays
The Euro may has been strong against the Pound since the crisis - but is this because policy and a free floating pound was what was required to rescue our economy from the ravages of mismanagement, overspending, over borrowing and the banking crisis? If each of the Eurozone countries had had a currency that could float would the likes of Greece, Spain, Portugal France and Italy be in the state they are in today? The Mark would have been super strong (until no one could afford a BM/Merc/Audi). The Euro is a massive political project which will not be allowed to fail until it causes civil war/strife. If, when it was introduced, the entry conditions had been strict and applied it would have generally been a strong currency which could then have built the number of members slowly and rivalled the dollar. However, it would only have had about 4 members at the start - and that wasn't the political dream.
Greece will be the first step.......
latest report
Yes, just wait until you see the size of the QE now required pull to the eurozone out of deflation! The ECB has sat on its hands ever since 2012 when there were advance deflation warnings but couldn't do anything because of German resistance to 'printing money'. Won't be pretty, but the cheap euro will mean more and longer holidays! Excellent.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 16-01-15 10:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
When I bought my apartment I bought the euros at 1.66 to the pound. January 2002, when the euro was brand new.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
When I bought my apartment I bought the euros at 1.66 to the pound. January 2002, when the euro was brand new.
Those were the days! I also had an exchange rate of 1.60-something, might have been 1.64 IIRC, when we signed the contract for our place in Les Arcs in November 2000.
snow report
@under a new name,
Quote:

@ALQ, nope. Currency trading performs. Currencies, per se, do not.

yes they do.

In the FX trading industry it is very common for currencies to be described as "out-performing", in the same way that shares can "out-perform". E.g.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/05/us-markets-forex-poll-dollar-idUSBREA241BC20140305
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@telford_mike, it occurs to me, being far too early up, that the "market" ultimately wrong as always, believes that everyone else will buy CHFs as a safe haven currency, therefore it will remain strong.

It's also, by definition entirely liquid, so if you have (well, anachronistically) "hot roubles" it was any easy way to add into the cooling/laundering mix.

I do think that the negative rates will make some people think twice before buying CHF paper to be honest, and I see that the Swissie has retreated a few % from its peaks yesterday. I'd still have CHF as a backstop, but where else to go? Gold looks cheap but very risky; USD? GBP?
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
The Euro may has been strong against the Pound since the crisis - but is this because policy and a free floating pound was what was required to rescue our economy from the ravages of mismanagement, overspending, over borrowing and the banking crisis? If each of the Eurozone countries had had a currency that could float would the likes of Greece, Spain, Portugal France and Italy be in the state they are in today? The Mark would have been super strong (until no one could afford a BM/Merc/Audi). The Euro is a massive political project which will not be allowed to fail until it causes civil war/strife. If, when it was introduced, the entry conditions had been strict and applied it would have generally been a strong currency which could then have built the number of members slowly and rivalled the dollar. However, it would only have had about 4 members at the start - and that wasn't the political dream.
Greece will be the first step.......

Impossible to say if any of those nations would have been better off (longer term) out of the EU.
All of them had underlying financial problems which fundamentally caused their various issues.
Their problems would probably have eventually happened in or out of the EU ?
Despite the crash of 2008 who is to say the stability of the euro wont help them longer term ?
The alternative for them might have been devalued currencies or even massive crashes (such as the Argentine peso in 2002).
Which is arguably just as bad and damaging.
Argentina are still paying for that 12 year later!
And lack of strong currency is one of their problems (i.e locals converting their pay into USD$ to avoid hyper inflation)

No doubt the Swiss Franc is valued artificially high because people see it as a safe currency.
snow report
Thomas Cook still have Francs at £1.46
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy