Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland just became a LOT more expensive

Poster: A snowHead
Switzerland just announced it is scrapping its Euro peg (was 1.2 chf per Euro) and gone free float.

Instant reaction is that rate moves below Euro parity, approx. 1.25 chg per £ (from 1.55 or so)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ouch. That's going to make our tentative ski weekend plans very much focused outside of Switzerland now! Which is a shame, because the public transport makes it easy and I quite fancied going back to Lenzerheide/Arosa now they're linked.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow - 30% drop vs Euro in one day.
Interesting and it will have implications.
The Swiss were well aware their strong currency hurt exports and tourism.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 15-01-15 11:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where is this confirmed? I've searched the internet and can find nothing on it! Thanks.

Ignore that - just found it on the BBC!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swiss franc was pegged to the euro so kept falling - guess they decided enough was enough - trading now at 1.04 per euro from 1.20, and 1.36 per £ from 1.55
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ace reporting... Euro Plummets vs the Swiss Franc.

Any other major European currencies plummet vs the CHF too? or was it just the Euro?

Took a while to find that. BBC had 2 blokes climbing a cliff in US as moer important news this morning.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.ft.com/home/uk
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just in the middle of a big project in Switzerland. Trying to assess the ramifications of this. Unlikely to be good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On BBG http://bloom.bg/156lqSw
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any other major European currencies plummet vs the CHF too? or was it just the Euro?
[/quote]

£ and $ .

Even those travelling to France via Geneva airport will suffer , expect higher Flight prices and Hire car rates
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The graph here: shttp://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=CHF hows the GBP falling off the cliff versus the EUR

Edit... Typo. Should be versus the Swissie

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 15-01-15 10:54; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Normally the BBC just obfuscates exchange rates when talking about UK/EU economy (often uses inverse of the rate that people usually use, or compares with US$), but are BBC now officially as rabidly anti-EU, anti-Euro/Eurozone as that Peston bloke? I guess so.

I'm sure the price of a 2015 vignette and a meal made mostly of cheese will cost the same tomorrow as it did yesterday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good graphic of the fall vs the pound.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=CHF
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

GBP falling off the cliff versus the EUR

erm the only cliffs I'm seeing is CHF-USD, CHF-EUR, CHF-GBP

EUR-GBP, EUR-USD have a glitch of about €0.008 and recovering to about €0.0025 (give or take a bit)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy, given that it was pegged to the Euro and the peg has just been removed, it seems fairly logical to concentrate on the effect of the removal of the peg on those two currencies Puzzled
ski holidays
Why didn't they say CHF soared vs EUR (what it was pegged to) and GBP (which is pretty relevant to most readers of Beeb website) ?
EUR vs all the currencies that matter to UK seem to be a glitch a little bit larger than the intra-day drift over the last 24hrs.
ski holidays
...or your Eurozone holiday just got a bit cheaper.

Now showing 1.2996 euros to a pound.
latest report
Currently GBP is 12% down versus CHF http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GBPCHF:CUR So, it has recovered a little of the lost ground.
snow report
@andy, well, the USD is still the leading reserve currency, followed by the EUR, so you might say that including the GBP would be a bit parochial
snow report
Typical panic - the actual rate feel from around 1.55 to the pound to 1.49. This will matter if you are spending millions, over the course of a holiday I can't imagine I will even notice the difference....

Markets always have a "glitch" when these things are announced then rational behaviour returns very quickly, as was seen this morning.
ski holidays
Just as I was thinking about a late season weekend in Verbier via GVA - thats that plan scuppered then rolling eyes
snow conditions
"However, it's not every day that a central bank pulls the rug out from underneath something in such a massive way, and clearly people are worried that there's something bigger afoot."

Many believe the euro will fall even further if the European Central Bank (ECB) starts quantitative easing, buying bonds to push cash into the eurozone banking system to stimulate a recovery.

EUR/GBP rate:

CHF/GBP rate:

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 15-01-15 11:21; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Markymark - the currency will settle, somewhere between 1.45 and 1.50 (barring any major surprises). It will be a wee bit more expensive to go to Switzerland but not that much! What you see happening now is quite a big spread (between buy and sell rates) which is a good indication that the rates being traded are driven by automated models which spread risk rather than rational long term outlook. In other words the current rate is more influenced by short term trading that is usual and will trend back to its rational level of around 1.45 over the next few days. Follow it and see if I am right!
ski holidays
I still have a 100 CHF note in my wallet - can I buy France yet?
ski holidays
The view at BBG

“I would suggest very few saw this coming,” said Neil Jones, head of hedge-fund sales at Mizuho Bank Ltd. in London. “The market price action suggests that without a floor, euro-Swiss has no bid and will likely push lower.”

The franc appreciated 16 percent to 1.0131 per euro at 10:03 a.m. London time. It gained 16 percent to 85.75 centimes per dollar, after touching 74.06 centimes, the strongest since August 2011.

Yes, there has a massive reaction. The next day will give a better indication of where things might settle.
latest report
We import from the States and export to the Eurozone. The last three months changes have been a disaster for us. At least my beer in Italy will be a little cheaper...
snow report
EURO-CHF way more affected than EURO-GBP or EURO-CHF

so impact on Brits not so big ?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 15-01-15 11:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
EURO-CHF way more affected than EURO-GBP

so impact on Brits not so big ?

With any luck the dreaded Dutch will be priced out of Sass Fee this year, fewer people on the pistes and less rudeness in resort should result!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Haggis_Trap, erm but what about CHF-GBP ? That'll have some impact on brits?
latest report
I knew I should have bought the railway tickets last week! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
They now have an interest rate of -0.75%! Shows what a state the rest of Europe must be in when people are buying Swis Francs, knowing they're going to be charged interest rather than paid it.
snow conditions
wonder will make hire car from swiss side of gva more expensive
snow conditions
Oh well, I'm off to Wengen in just over a week's time, fortunately I've already bought my swiss railways transfer ticket and my lift pass (at a discounted rate) so just have to take care of the hotel bill and I just have enough CHF in my wallet from last year to cover that. Might have to buy some more though for lunches, coffee stops and the occasional beer though! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
andy wrote:

CHF-GBP and EURO-GBP has only shifted a little
The main shift (30%) is EURO-CHF
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, If you stick to happy hour it seems like you will make out of it!
latest report
dublin2 wrote:
wonder will make hire car from swiss side of gva more expensive

Just managed to book mine at the same price as quoted yesterday but thought it best to get in quick!
latest report
andy wrote:

Excuse my typo Very Happy
CHF-GBP and EURO-GBP has only shifted a little
The main shift (30%) is EURO-CHF
snow report
Fortunately paid for pretty well everything in advance for Crans-Montana early March. Lunch might be a bit frugal.
snow report
@zikomo, nice explanation. I will follow, and hope you are right.
snow conditions
not according to my charts

chf-gbp and chf-eur are both cliffs. eur-gbp is little more than noise
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy