Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal reps are useless

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it's really not fair to criticise Crystal for their failure to deliver customers where they should have. Literally no other TO achieved this and many private travellers in their own vehicles were stranded.

True. But there was a comment elsewhere (on the thread about T2 in Geneva airport) from someone who had been required by Inghams to leave resort at 0430 for a much later flight. Must have been a horrible day - getting up after a few hours sleep and hanging around a crowded terminal for hours - but they did get home.

I think I've been up and away before 5am for every return ski transfer I've ever been on, usually for lunchtime flights as well. Think they tend to err on the side of caution at the best of times.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a bit of a sideways leap, but I have no idea where to put it, and don't know how to frame it in a new post without maybe upsetting someone.

Mrsthecramps was in La Daille last week and as we all know, an unfortunate young man was found dead after a night out. Mrsthecramps was told by a rep that he had gone up to Folie Deuce in the bubble, without skis or jacket, missed the last lift down and had attempted to walk, with a sadly tragic outcome.

Should the TO's do more to warn people of the dangers of the mountains? Or do they already? I have never been given anything but the most basic advice. But if it's not the TO's responsibility, who's, if anyone's is it?

I am not criticising anyone, merely hoping to start a debate because I don't know the answer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@thecramps, And the most basic advice would be "If you go out at night don't go out without your ski jacket or other suitable warm clothing". IIRC the few times I've been on a TO trip that information has been imparted by the rep early on (welcome meeting?). It beggars belief that there was no one else around to help him get home safely. Very sad Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@halfhand, apparently signs went up in the bubble lift from La Daille the next day saying you couldn't go up without skis. I'm not saying the TO's are responsible at all, just wonder if anyone is.

Should we have a downloadable advice doc for new skiers? we get plenty here asking for various advice. If it were a good enough doc it may be linked by other sites, raising snowheads profile?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thecramps, don't you think adults should take some responsibility for themselves? TOs are holiday companies, there to provide a basic service to get you to your holiday destination and advice on how to make the most of your holiday. They are not doctors, psychiatrists, guardians, lawyers or any other role the useless British tourist seems to think their bottom-dollar holiday cost entitles them to.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@queen bodecia, This!

I would never speak ill of the dead, poor lad obviously made a bad decision, but anyone who is adult enough to reproduce, should be adult enough to look after themselves.

- Its cold outside then take a coat
- Im going on a night out, so ill make sure my route back is very clear as ill be drunk
- Never go out alone
- always carry a working phone

Basic, and it doesn't take a TO to tell me that whether im in the UK or on holiday
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@queen bodecia, Yes, very much so, not sure where I implied different.

But please don't tell me you were always wise when you were 18.

Maybe it is just a tragic thing, but it does happen every season a few times. I am not saying anyone or company is responsible, merely asking if better advice could be given, and if so, where.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@queen bodecia, @PaulC1984, you both have obviously never been out in Bigg Market on a sat'dy night.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thecramps, To be fair re advise, I sign saying you can and will die if you dont take your coat out etc etc etc will probably be the only thing that will shock people into listening and may work. Its very morbid and a little distasteful to be that graphic, but leaflets and a quick line from a TO will never be listened to
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PaulC1984, I agree with that. A bit of real life never hurt anyone.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thecramps, it is a tragic thing, but certainly not the TO's responsibility. People die on the roads, often as a result of a poor decision, is that the DSA's fault for giving them a driving licence in the first place? This was simply a poor decision which resulted in a tragic death. I seem to remember hearing on the news about two young men who went for a drunken paddle in the sea in Brighton last weekend in gale force conditions and were swept away to their deaths. Again another poor decision resulting in tragic deaths. I could go on...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@queen bodecia, @thecramps, and the moral is if you drink beyond your limits..... 35% of traffic deaths are caused by drink driving and as @queen bodecia, points out the two lads in brighton did that as a drunken dare, seems all to often to be the case sadly
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@queen bodecia, please re read my original post. I never said it was the TO's, or anyone's responsibility. I merely asked some questions, as I said, to maybe start a debate to see if anything should or could be done.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, Resort Tourist Office could send something out for hotels/chalets to give their guests, perhaps?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PaulC1984, Not sure about the 35% thing, Hastings direct say more like 15% (in 2011), but I suppose it depends where you live in the world. Also it's a bit of an assumption that he was drunk, can anyone afford to get very drunk in La Folie Deuce, especially at 18?

Without doubt his choices were poor, but as it seems to happen a bit, an information campaign of some kind might make a difference, especially if it was quite hard hitting.

Like I said quite a few new skiers and boarders come here before they travel. Just a thought.
ski holidays
@thecramps, sorry re checked - data says 35% of people in crashes have alcohol in their system, not necessarily over the limit
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@thecramps, sorry re checked - data says 35% of people in crashes have alcohol in their system, not necessarily over the limit

So 65% just cant drive?
latest report
@blahblahblah, 51% of the population women........ RUN Happy
snow report
@thecramps, like others, I don't think it is a TO's responsibility to tell an adult that it might be cold on a skiing holiday. But, whenever I have gone on a package, I'm pretty sure I remember getting some information with the booking confirmations/tickets, which might have mentioned it - the booklets (from Crystal, I think, and others) have information about ski clothing, fitness etc and some discount vouchers. And the sort of person who will go out in the snow, at night, without a coat is not likely to take much notice of advice to wear one from a TO, tourist information etc. There's only so much help you can give.
snow conditions
In today's slightly bonkers world you would probably find that by giving such warning information the TO's would show that they were aware of the danger and depending upon the steps they took to protect their clients they then might be seen as liable under all that 'duty of care' nonsense.
latest report
@Yellow Pyranha, @foxtrotzulu, yeah, I can't disagree with either of you.

I do wonder if school wouldn't be a bad place to start. I have thought about it a little, but can't think of any answers. I just wondered if anyone else had any ideas.
latest report
@thecramps, isn't a parental responsibility to teach your offspring about certain dangers? Coastal tides, mountain weather, driving without due care and attention, wearing appropriate clothing for weather conditions, alcohol and substance abuse, etc. etc.
snow report
@queen bodecia, +1
ski holidays
I do feel for the poor kid, and especially his family, but I find it difficult to believe he wasn't somewhat intoxicated. Doesn't need to be at Folie Douce prices. A bottle of Old Lady gin and some own brand tonic from a local supermarket costs very, very, little. Sad

I don't see it as the TOs responsibility at all. Those people who dive off their balconies into the shallow end of swimming pools on the Costa Brava probably think it was somebody else's fault, too.

An 18 year old is legally an adult, after all.
snow report
@pam w, +1
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, +2
latest report
@pam w, +2
snow report
thecramps wrote:
apparently signs went up in the bubble lift from La Daille the next day saying you couldn't go up without skis. I'm not saying the TO's are responsible at all, just wonder if anyone is.

Yes, the punter. or 'self' Toofy Grin

Assuming you mean responsible for the death, not the signs!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I merely asked some questions, as I said, to maybe start a debate to see if anything should or could be done.

Not that I think this is the answer to all ills, and almost certainly not in this case, but there has been a dramatic reduction in the number of publicans/managers prepared to say 'no you've had enough laddie, now go home.'

I know from friends who have been in the business until quite recently that while the chains pay public lip service to the sensible drinking mantra, their managers' performance is still measured on volume of booze sold, and they are 'performance managed' if they don't hit their targets.

Whilst it may have been 3 decades and more ago, I know for certain that there have been occasions when not understanding how drunk I was, I simply carried on drinking.
Had I have been half way up a mountain at the time, well then there but for the grace...........
latest report
This is really sad that a young life is lost because of a bad decision. I have to say I'm surprised the liftiest let him in the bubble without proper gear. You would think they are more aware of conditions on the mountain than punters, and what happens in mountain bars.
snow report
Nice little touch from Crystal yesterday, Pre Departure phone call. The rep was just introducing herself and reminded us what we needed to bring etc. I have never travelled with Crystal before, normally end up going with Neilsons but I thought it was a good touch. Crystal are off on a good start in my book
ski holidays
I got an email from our Crystal rep before our recent trip to Zell am See. It had all his contact details on and every time I tried to contact him, he answered straight away. One time was just to get some advice on where to go for apres. He couldn't have been any more helpful.

We did have one problem of his making with the lift passes which cost me 50 Euros. I met with him that evening and he paid me out of his own pocket with no quibbles at all.

He arranged for us to be picked up early for the return transfer so we could make sure of sitting with the kids. All in all a good experience so No. Not all Crystal reps are useless.
snow conditions
@KennyEverett, was his name Alistair by any chance? I know a rep in ZamS, but forget which company he works for rolling eyes We meet up at ski races when he is off duty, so we don't talk about work at all! He seems a very organised bloke though and is based in ZamS all year round I think.
ski holidays
His name was Kirk. About 7ft tall. Can't miss him.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
@hammerite, now that's a cop out and another example of poor service - are you lot complete walk overs? I would love you as my patients. Blame everything on external factors.

It's not a cop out at all and I'm not a walk over. They have responded which is what they said they would do. If they said they would respond with a resolution then that is different. It might be a technicality, but this might be what they intended to do within that period of time. After all these type of complaints/queries usually take a bit of toing and froing before any resolution is made.

It's not as if it's going to make any difference to the holiday that all these people have returned home from already.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 16-01-15 20:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@hammerite, apologies didnt mean you personally re. the walk overs.
snow conditions
@Shimmy Alcott, no worries!

We actually travelled home with Crystal that same day. Left our chalet at 6.30am, home by lunch time. But we were a few hundred miles east.
ski holidays
Travelled with Crystal last week. Spoke once to four Crystal reps and had a text message from the remote rep. Excellent service.
ski holidays
How can one 'miss the last bubble down'? I'm not aware of the area and relatively inexperienced in terms of time on snow compared to most on here but one example i can think of was a lift that closed at 4:45 (bubble) and there was a huge queue because the only piste down was closed due to avalanche... the lift kept going until everyone (punters) was off. Surly after missing that the staff have to get back from somewhere? Did he miss the last bubble, the mountain was closed with no-one around?

Was he locked in the toilets or something? I've been last out of many places in my time (not necessarily in the mountains), but i was by no means the last person actually out of the door and at 18 definatly had the sense to go back and ask questions if i "couldn't get home"... Seems odd all round
snow report
BEST THREAD EVER ........................NEVER have I ever read so m uch poo-poo form so many ill informed people or people who think they know it all

It has made me smile though
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy