Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal reps are useless

Poster: A snowHead
We were in the nightmare traffic in the alps yesterday. The Crystal reps were useless. All we wanted was truth and the facts. We eventually got a taxi to the resort after been told the roads were shut. No information was been passed on to the reps, oh no rep on the bus. No one from Crystal has contacted us to check we have arrived.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess it is very tricky in this scenario for the tour operator.

It always seems to be lack of information which is consistently an issue in these sorts of situation.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 28-12-14 16:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
While I sympathise, you say no info passed to rep, so was the rep useless or someone further up the tree. But when you see pics of 1500 cars stranded it clearly was ALL CRYSTALS fault...

Did any1 else from crystal arrive? Presume you did actually tell someone you were going by Taxi?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Conversely, I saw loads of posts on Twitter last night of stranded people who were singing the praises of Crystal and their reps, even from people who were with other TO's.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polc1410 wrote:
But when you see pics of 1500 cars stranded it clearly was ALL CRYSTALS fault...

Yeah, but Crystal bashing is such good fun. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got the impression from something posted in the snowmageddon thread that the roads to some resorts might have been open to cars but not coaches.
There was also a hint on there that some transfer buses were being delayed by the reps having to spend time looking for passengers who'd disappeared. I guess some of those may have been people who decided to make their own way without checking someone knew they'd gone.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@k1orange, think the title of your thread is very unfair given that the conditions were the worst in living memory and it was an ever changing picture.

My daughter was stranded out in the open for one and a half hours after I left her having been told the bus was only twenty minutes up the road.

So if the reps had been advised that it was only a three hour hold up and they told you that, and there was an accident further up the road, no doubt you'd think it was the fault of Crystal for not knowing about it!

Get real it was total nightmare yesterday and you were lucky you actually made it thousands of others didn't including my daughter!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a nightmare for so many. Crystal not long since posted on fb that they have some emergency flights back arranged for this evening - going from Lyon instead of Chambery and only going to three UK airports. Bus transfers being put on between the airport to get people from where they are to where they need to be. Seems like there has been huge re-organisation going on.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

oh no rep on the bus

So your 'useless' rep didn't actually exist?

I suggest you are being something of a jerk.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting to see at the end of the week after a period of reflection whether 24 hours of hell was a good swap to get 6 days of great snow which they might not have expected a few days ago - not making a judgment on Crystal as don't know how they faired but a few friends on DIY had pretty dreadful journeys without any TO intervention!. Of course those caught up going down the hill had dodgy ski conditions and hell's transfer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have to say crystal got us home with no problems, transfer from les coches to geneva took nearly 7 hours but flight was delayed such that we boarded as quick as we could get off the bus and through the airport. Rep told us on the bus not to worry and sure enough it was fine. Not sure if flights were actually held back to wait for transfers or other reasons.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also unfair to generalise so much with a thread title like that, which suggests that all Crystal reps are useless. Even if your rep was useless (and even that sounds dubious), it doesn't mean they all are.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I came back from Salzburg last week (with no snow) and had to divert to Frankfurt on the way for 2.5 hours for a medical emergency. I missed my last direct train from Manchester to middlesbrough and instead had to get two trains, which cost me double. However the staff on that flight got the round of applause they deserved once we got back to Manchester because they did what they could.

The tour operator staff do their very best in situations that they often have no control over. Yesterday's snow is no different, it was a freak occurance and tested those working to their limits. We would all love to have a trouble free holiday, but we'd also love to have completely trouble free lives. It just doesn't always happen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I'd rather do my own thing rather than use a TO - so far as is reasonably possible I like to be responsible for my own mishaps rather than have plans disrupted by others...

There was however a certain irony in having seen weeks of posts such as "Are these the worst snow conditions ever...?" to "Eek, too much snow..." rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@k1orange, You were not per chance in the La Tania tourist office trying to find out your accommodation this afternoon were you? Those folk had obviously been left in the dark by Crystal. To defend all the TO/reps etc though most of them worked for many hours without any sleep, from trying to get guests down the mountain in the morning from around 5am to getting the next lot in, many of whom were stopped getting up the mountain by the Police. Some of the drivers had had no sleep in all that time and simply had to crash in their mini bus for a couple of hours in order to continue to drive safely in appalling conditions. That does not excuse lack of communication though but it perhaps helps to explain it.

I do sympathise though, for all of us trying to get into resorts it has been a nightmare weekend!
latest report
I spent some time last night in Grenoble airport and from what I could see there were a lot of TO and airport staff working very hard with a very difficult situation, quite often not helped by bolshy "customers" with a me, me, me attitude. (I am not saying the OP is one of these, but there were plenty there). For the record, and this is not to belittle those who did suffer genuine difficulties, I left Alpe d'Huez at 4-00pm in my own car with chains on, which I removed 3 bends down (and then spent the next 18 bends trying to get past , as did the coach following me, people, of all nationalities, doing 2mph because they had no chains / summer tyres / no idea how to drive. We arrived at the airport, after a stop in Grenoble, 2 hours before our scheduled flight. The flight left about 2 hours later than scheduled, made good time but then we lost all that, and more, because it took Gatwick 20 minutes to sort out a stand for the plane and after that 45 minutes to get through passport control. To be honest though, and again not to belittle those who had much more severe problems not of their own making, I have had more problems getting past Birmingham on a Monday morning than I had yesterday.
snow conditions
Crystal are happy to leave their reps to it and take the blame. The business of transiting people form airport to resort is pretty established and there are some obvious contingencies that could be planned for. With us, there was no bottled water on the coach and no emergency food for the young kids. Crystal are useless at contingency planning and don't give their Reps any funds or authority to get in supplies for delays. They obviously don't have anyone centrally coordinating things and providing information to Reps. Crystal are happy to take your money but don't want to spend a little of it on support and contingency. So never again.
snow conditions
This is why I avoid travel agents and do my own thing,
latest report
I've had a dig or two at Crystal before, but in this instance extreme traffic jams caused by snow, snow that has been well forecast for the past week, I reckon all TO's will have plenty of trouble today. But are they to blame? Because it's snowing? in the Alps? In winter?

@k1orange, rule 5 I think applies here.
latest report
Quote:

With us, there was no bottled water on the coach and no emergency food for the young kids. Crystal are useless at contingency planning and don't give their Reps any funds or authority to get in supplies for delays.

this kind of stuff is key to the difference between the inconvenience of a long delay and making a long delay the trip from hell
snow report
(however, I have to say that I make sure we have plenty of water and snacks to keep kids happy - as delays in travel do happen)
snow conditions
@Shimmy Alcott, a classic example of someone applying rule 5.

@msej449, Why is it up to everyone else to make sure you have enough food and drink for you and your kids.
ski holidays
See if I had young kids I'd consider drinks and snacks for them my job rather than that of the TO. My first stop post security is Boots for water for the plane and transfer. Food is definitely my job as I'd have transportable snacks for the week accessible - cheddars, raisins etc. Easier to use more familiar food for the unfamiliar situation. Much as I like abdicating responsibility for the transfer to a TO barring luggage not making it, my snacks and drinks are very much my call. It's not like Crystal provide food on the plane, or like it's impossible to acquire sustenance in airports. The transfers are long enough on a normal weekend to require snacks and amusements for youngsters surely, especially Tarentaise resorts...
latest report
Quote:

See if I had young kids I'd consider drinks and snacks for them my job rather than that of the TO.

+1.
However, on a particularly early transfer out of La Rosiere and a subsequent wait at a bus stop in Aime, we were then delayed in Chambery, and they had virtually run out of food by the time we got there. It doesn't (or didn't) have a lot of options.
snow report
though I say I make sure I have water and snacks etc its only as a result of experiencing delays whereby some water and snacks would make the delay more tolerable. I dont think it would be such a bad idea for TO to shove in a case of water and some snack items for the times when delays are looking inevitable - the snow warnings were there!
ski holidays
Good point, @Shimmy Alcott, - it's not as if the water will go off, so they could just keep some available for emergencies.
latest report
Quote:

See if I had young kids I'd consider drinks and snacks for them my job rather than that of the TO.

true, but if theres a huge delay then the TO should be stepping in to help, and they should have the experience and forethought to have some "comfort" rations. Is this not the reason why we go with TO? So we are not left high and dry?
snow report
[quote="Shimmy Alcott"]
Quote:

Is this not the reason why we go with TO? So we are not left high and dry?

Ahhhhhh, Yeap.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 28-12-14 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We always seem to have water left to bin/down at the airport at the end of the week (don't risk resort tap water) but guess snacks could be an issue although not normally the way I seem to overpack nowadays.

Been craving a sandwich or something savoury quite often but last year the hotel (through Crystal) provided a nice packed lunch
ski holidays
though Ive not been with a TO for years since Crystal totally screwed me on a trip and had crap customer service Laughing
ski holidays
Although Crystal's efforts to lay on extra flights appear to have made the news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30613481

Quote:
Separately, a British ski company called Crystal Ski says it has arranged emergency flights to help bring home hundreds of holidaymakers stuck at Chambery Airport, in the Savoy region.
snow report
@halfhand, its their duty to get people home?
snow report
@Shimmy Alcott, Gallic shrug.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
(however, I have to say that I make sure we have plenty of water and snacks to keep kids happy - as delays in travel do happen)

Could not agree more. I always have loads of snacks and water/drinks when travelling. If i had been travelling yesterday I'd have stocked up even more at the airport.

While I've done many DIY holidays over the years using a TO for skiing for my 7 year old son and I is a no brainer. I want the full service Esprit can provide that would be impossible for DIY.
ski holidays
Re "If I had young kids"

I'm not completely stupid or negligent - I've had three kids and of course we made provision for food and drinks. And books to read etc. but we're talking about over 8 hours of delays here and then a second transfer to another coach.

So it's reasonable for us to have expected that at least they'd had the foresight to carry some spare water if nothing else.
latest report
Quote:

So it's reasonable for us to have expected that at least they'd had the foresight to carry some spare water if nothing else

completely agree. But experience has taught me otherwise - hence not using TO for years.
snow report
Quote:

there was no bottled water on the coach and no emergency food for the young kids.

Are you blaming Crystal for your ignorance of contraception now? Laughing

If you choose to have children it's kind of your responsibility to see that they are provided for. If you forgot to bring snacks it's because you're a bad parent, not because Crystal have rubbish staff.
ski holidays
See I assume the worst on the kid entertainment level and when packing. Hence nearly full baggage allowance with unnecessary thermals and thicker/thinner fleeces or a selection of snackage/entertainment to last at least double the planned journey time. Admittedly my previous delays have been in the airport (why I try to avoid Chambery) rather than on a coach but at least on the coach you have a seat! Devon to Tignes by air, 16 hours (M5 contingency included tbf). Roasds French side fine, just slow parking, leaving and getting luggage from plane at Chambery, knock on delays never fun as 2nd flighgt in/out.

Many hours sat waiting to check in GVA and Chambery too and neither have much/any sensible food accessible in my experience.
snow conditions
@Lizzard, I would expect a parent to bring drinks and snacks for a reasonable length of journey - I would also expect the TO to be prepared with basic hydration in the event of serious delays - we pay for their experience and for them to make our journey reasonably comfortable. I dont see any of them advertising that they provide great holidays and service unless there is a delay and then you can "fend for yourselves because we cant be bothered"
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
@Lizzard, I would expect a parent to bring drinks and snacks for a reasonable length of journey - I would also expect the TO to be prepared with basic hydration in the event of serious delays

+1

If you are in your own car you can make decisions - to a certain extent - to stop, divert, etc. If on a tour bus you are, in effect, helpless. Water doesn't go off, so why don't they carry it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy