Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon en route to ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Update is that Brenner Pass still closed and people at Innsbruck en route to Dolomites may be stuck there tonight.

Better than stuck in a vehicle.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just arrived in innsbruck from corvara. Left at 8am. Gridlock heading through pusteria valley. Diverted to brixen to catch train at 11.04am. Train left on time and then massive delays at fortezza and brenner. 8 hours from corvara to innsbruck. Now had to book room overnight and new flights for tomorrow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trouble in France from what I am make out.....a48 by bourgoin jaillett
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Took us 5 hours direct drive from GVA to Les Arcs 1800. From 16:00. With the last part in fog plus snow, but of course.
The jams disappeared when we started the ascent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stefoy4me wrote:
Trouble in France from what I am make out.....a48 by bourgoin jaillett

Yep. I'm on transfer bus to Grenoble airport and we were turned away from entry to A48. Other vehicles already on the road didn't look like they were going anywhere...

Very snowy here at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In from my mate at 23:25 who was simply driving from Innsbruck to Cortina, so it's not just France!

"Finally made the Dolomites- 12 hrs to do 100km. No warnings/ web info and hundreds of stranded trucks reducing peage at top to 1 Lane. Snow but not enough to cause such chaos ..."
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alternative road to Grenoble is very slow and snow covered. Good thing we left at 5am!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hope you make it, @Raven.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Hope you make it, @Raven.

Thanks

At Grenoble Airport now and it's still chucking it down with snow outside.

Flights seem to be running okay at this stage. Bit of a zoo here but I don't think that's weather related Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm, I take the bit about flights running okay back. We were late boarding then sat on the plane for ages with no working heating while we waited for the plane to be de-iced. Guessing we left about 1.5 hours late.

This meant I missed my flight to Austria so instead of being in St Anton tonight I’m at a Gatwick Airport hotel instead. Still, it beats being stranded at Grenoble airport.

It’s the first flight I’ve ever missed. Had to happen sooner or later Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I seemed to have missed all this chaos.
We left les arcs at 11:30 yesterday morning intending to get to my friends house just outside grenoble by 13;00. It's been many a year since I've left the resort on a Saturday morning and I was genuinely shocked by the volume of traffic and how long it took. Instead of the usual 60 minutes to the motorway at albertville it took 140.

We left grenoble at 11:00 this morning and apart from some snow at the side of the road outside chambery and a strong head wind had no trouble with the journey and got to the tunnel 8 hours later. We even got directly onto a shuttle and are now on the m40 nearing home.

I suppose we've just been lucky

TBH the biggest hassle has been the poor quality of driving on the m20 and m25
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, hoping for Grenoble in 90 minutes on any transfer day is a tad ambitious, but if you haven't tried it for a long time I can understand why you were surprised. Saturdays in the Tarentaise are still to be avoided despite all the road improvements, but it's easy to forget! Glad to hear the rest of the journey was OK and share your detestation of the M20/M25. After driving through France with relative ease it's difficult to believe how bad the introduction to the UK can be.

Good to meet up and hope to see you later in the season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair, It was just under 13 hours from Le Touvet home. I gather later that day there was significant delays coming out of Chambery. My Nephew left Les Arcs at 10:00 on Friday and got home some time Saturday afternoon. His flight to Bristol was cancelled due to - snow in Bristol. Easyjet put him up in a hotel near Geneva overnight. Sometimes it is faster to drive all the way rather than rely on aircraft.

And yes let's meet up later in the season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's the view on the best time to get out of Les Arcs on a transfer day? Is 6am early enough to get a decent start on the chaos?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spin Doctor wrote:
What's the view on the best time to get out of Les Arcs on a transfer day? Is 6am early enough to get a decent start on the chaos?

If talking half term, we normally leave Bourg @ 6am, and the traffic is building but manageable.
Wouldnt want to be much later. Suggest leave LA @530
ski holidays
@Spin Doctor, I've never had any problems leaving after 17:00. Usually we leave after skiing for the day
snow report
@martinperry, @johnE, thank you. My personal preference would be to leave after a day's skiing - but my companions will not. So an early start it is. it will be slightly later than our start out from the UK so I will sell it as a lie in wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy