Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon en route to ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
I wonder if the Frenchies will bring a in a winter tyre law like Germany/Austria/Czech etc, for visitors too. Chains are useless if you can only do 15mph on the autoroutes but up the steeps essential in the heavy stuff.

I understand this is an infrequent event, but when it happens & I guess people will take note, its makes you realize why its the case & per the norm when a little bit of snow hits the UK.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So has it snowed? Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've just hit the solid traffic outside Chambery, assuming this goes all the way to the Tarentaise we're in for a long night! No snow on road here but as I say that it's just started snowing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes quite a bit I think you'll find
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Parc des Expositions in Chambery inundated with stranded travellers looking for shelter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@philipb, start looking for a hotel or you seriously risk spending the night in a traffic jam in the car. The emergency centres are overwhelmed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lizzard, if we see one we will but don't think we'll be alone. No ones going anywhere here at the moment.
Anyone know if traffic remains solid through Albertville and Moutiers? We're heading to Ste Foy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

a certificate of competence

Oh please. rolling eyes

Who's going to issue those? At what cost? And how are you going to test 'competence'? Driving in these conditions is a skill you acquire through extensive practice - are you going to tell us no-one's allowed to drive to resort until they've spent five winters living here and commuting to work every day?

Ok, so having thousands of people in emergency shelters overnight is a better idea?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Cptsideways, it is not an infrequent event, just maybe not as bad as this usually.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And entirely forecast.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philipb wrote:
@Lizzard, if we see one we will but don't think we'll be alone. No ones going anywhere here at the moment.
Anyone know if traffic remains solid through Albertville and Moutiers? We're heading to Ste Foy.

The TV has just announced that access to resorts is closed so I would try to find a hotel like Mrs Lizzard says. Try Pontcharra or further towards Grenoble.

http://www.hotel-levauban.com/ tel: 04 76 71 91 84

it is just by the autoroute exit
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And sorry should have added, by far the worst drivers out on the roads today were Belgians!!!!!!!!!!

This was the idiot (Belgian) in the motor home sans chains trying to drive down from the Col

Just outside of Monetier, love to know what his FaceBook status was / is Smile

And then we went up the hill Smile

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, it has the virtue of being practical.

@philipb, as far as I can gather, things are pretty much at a standstill through Albertville to Moutiers and Ugine. Householders in Albertville are volunteering to put people up for the night - I think this sort of thing is being coordinated by the Gendarmerie and the Mairie.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
7 hours on the coach from 2alpes to grenoble airport, which is overflowing in both arrivals and departures (lack of coaches for those arriving). Not sure why all the departing planes are late, most haven't arrived yet...bad weather earlier preventing landing here, or attempts to limit overcrowding at arrivals? Passed many stricken vehicles on the descent and the tailback going the other way is 40km long, don't think about going up if you have a choice.

Glad I've got a good book, craziest transfer ever!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, That's worrying me about Ben's Bus! We're supposed to be on the 0755 from Val to Geneva tomorrow. We're actually staying with friends at the mo, so it's no issue for us to stay another day if needed and swap flights etc. What I 100% totally want to avoid is leaving Val and then taking hours to get anywhere. There's going to be a proper whites of the eyes conversation with the Ben's Bus rep tomorrow morning...and if there's any doubt of getting there, I ain't going!
latest report
@Skiain, I would change your flight now to the next day, and have an epic powder day tomorrow instead.
latest report
At 7pm there was no hotel rooms east of Aix Les Bains, so the only way for a hotel now is an about turn to Lyons
snow report
Helpline number: 08 11 00 06 73

No idea whether it speaks English or not.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
At 7pm there was no hotel rooms east of Aix Les Bains, so the only way for a hotel now is an about turn to Lyons

it is biblical
snow conditions
We're on road to Albertville so will see what happens when we get there. If they have closed resorts they will have a lot of people to deal with. Now moving albeit slowly
ski holidays
@davidof, are you suggesting he should look for a stable?
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

only if his wife is pregnant.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

only if his wife is pregnant.

But how is he going to find 3 Wise men wink
ski holidays
@davidof, not sure where he's going to find three wise men and a virgin anywhere near a ski resort.
snow report
@philipb, well that is a way to do it - but doubt wheather it is the right way. Puzzled

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 27-12-14 20:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@philipb, we arrived by train into BSM we're in the car now. The road is slow for now because val/tinges are not accessible and there are loads of cars turning around. Also there are broken down lorries on the road. We're moving though.

Ste Foy is accessible (assuming you have chains). You're in for a long night but in principle you would make it if you can get to BSM.
snow conditions
@Lizzard, Laughing
ski holidays
How much snow are we talking down in the Moutiers/BSM Valley?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do feel a lot of people only have themselves to blame for not getting out of resorts. It didn't snow all night and roads were Ok early on. Even without snowmageddon it makes sense to leave early on a busy transfer day not trundle down at 11am with everybody else. I had a call from my son, having found a taxi driver to take him up side roads to courchevel 1850 as the main road was completely stuffed. Clients leaving the chalet hadn't got down and the new ones were going to be late up, if they arrived at all. I 'm sure he'd have preferred to get drunk in a church hall in moutiers to paying too much for a taxi and cooking a big meal for people who might not arrive.

Any news of Geneva airport?

Fascinating reports from lizard and davidof.
latest report
We don't have any choice! Can't turn round.
snow report
Seems the people stranded at Chambery are being shunted off to Aix les Bains, where Red Cross volunteers are staffing extra emergency centres.
snow conditions
philipb wrote:

Good luck!
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
philipb wrote:

Good luck!
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@philipb, I'd hit McDo at Alberville when you get there if I were you - it could be a long hungry night and that's going to be the last hot food you see for a bit. Stock up with emergency chocolate brownies!
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, 28cm reported in BSM

http://www.meteo-chamonix.org/alertealpes.php
ski holidays
Is there some secret 10 - 10/12 snowhead birthday bash somewhere in France - the snow situation indicates it?
latest report
Most exciting thread for years.

I'm gripped Shocked
latest report
@Peter S, You are forgetting the bithday bash last winter! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Yeah, that certainly escalated!! I'm F5-ing and tweeting the updates!!
ski holidays
@Lizzard, if we get as far as Albertville we will do that.. My wife just spoke to accom in Ste Foy who say resort still open but takes 8 hours from Albertville! Glad kids have lots of films on ipad and a good sense of humour ( so far)!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy