Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2014/2015 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Quinton, great news about the chicken man, love the simplicity and quality of his offer. Can't wait to sample again in a couple of weeks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
quinton wrote:
Chicken Man at the top of Asitz / Leogang. Fears that this world famous eatery would be closed down once the new gondola was built have proved to be unfounded. In fact, his rickerty old wooden shack has been replaced by a smart new stone-clad hut, complete with a sun terrace where you can sit with your chicken (or ribs) while taking in the view.

Does he do chips too or just the meat?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RedorDead wrote:
@Frank Lundy, Stay there in April last year and it's a fantastic hotel, absolutely loved it. The food is top draw and the Spa is amazing. We're going out on the 17th so might see you there. Very Happy

Sounds perfect!! See you out on the slopes or at the bar. Look out for a cool looking boarder wearing Joseph's technicolour dream coat Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peteman, no chips from the chicken man, half a chicken comes with a roll, the ribs come with a garlic bread type stick thing I seem to recall
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
quinton wrote:

The long blue run 68 from Polten to Viehhofen has been open this week, and as usual there was nobody on it when I skied down it on Tuesday. Nobody at all on a 7km piste in perfect condition. Cool

Best. Run. Ever.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there a lift back up the mountain on run 68 or do you have to catch a bus up the valley to Vorderglemm?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You have to catch a bus, but it's sooooo worth it. Buses are every 20 mins.

"You'll like this.." someone wisely said at the top Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
quinton wrote:
A couple of updates from Saalbach:

The long blue run 68 from Polten to Viehhofen has been open this week, and as usual there was nobody on it when I skied down it on Tuesday. Nobody at all on a 7km piste in perfect condition. Cool

Chicken Man at the top of Asitz / Leogang. Fears that this world famous eatery would be closed down once the new gondola was built have proved to be unfounded. In fact, his rickerty old wooden shack has been replaced by a smart new stone-clad hut, complete with a sun terrace where you can sit with your chicken (or ribs) while taking in the view.

I assume no one skis it because they need to get a bus at the bottom?

In time the link with Zell will mean a lift here as this will be the way in to S/H
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the details on this run and also the recommendation about how good it is. I did read somewhere that the buses were free with a lift pass - can anyone confirm either way please?

Many thanks😊
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jaolchhu4 wrote:
Thanks for the details on this run and also the recommendation about how good it is. I did read somewhere that the buses were free with a lift pass - can anyone confirm either way please?

Many thanks😊

I believe free and run every 20 mins

The blue towards Leogang is supposed to be one of the best anywhere but I expect is a bit busier...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you - we will definitely incorporate this run in to one of our itineraries when we visit in March.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jaolchhu4 wrote:
Thank you - we will definitely incorporate this run in to one of our itineraries when we visit in March.

http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/lift-company/skibus.html

The ski bus runs every 20 minutes (high season) or every 30 minutes (pre- and off season) from each bus stop. Using the ski bus is included in the skipass.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That is excellent - thank you, it is very much appreciated.

Regards

Steve Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The ski bus from Viehhofen to Jausern/Schonleiten runs every 20 minutes when piste 68 is open. It is the valley ski busses that run every 20 mins in main season and every 30 minutes at the start and end of the season. All are included free in the lift ticket.

I assume that most people don't ski 68 because they don't know it is there - they follow the herd towards Leogang or Saalbach depending on direction of travel, and miss this very fine piste. Ski it while you can - in a couple of seasons from now it will likely become the main route back to Zell am See and will cease to be the empty, free-flowing run that it is at the moment.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like a great recommendation. Thank you all for the wonderful advice. Just shows the benefit of this forum Very Happy
snow conditions
Looking at the webcam at zwolferkogel tonight it seems the tropical weather has hit as predicted, let's hope it doesn't melt too much
latest report
Heading out to Saalbach 7/2 for annual trip and can't wait. Have only skied Leogang before as a beginner so looking forward to exploring the bigger area Smile

A couple of questions:

Did it rain last night? And was the snow badly affected?

Does anyone know which is the World Cup run? I know it will likely be closed when I'm there, just wondering if it'll impact much....
ski holidays
Black 15 I think, but I'm sure someone will know for sure.

BTW for anyone doing the Blue 68, make sure you stop at the Hecherhutte near the bottom. Fabulous views and I believe the best goulash soup in the area!
ski holidays
@Ammo, The race course will more or less follow the routes of pistes 15 and 13a on the Zwoelferkogel. You can see where these are from the piste map on saalbach.com

I can echo @quinton, 's comments about piste 68, which I also did on Tuesday (and like him, saw nobody else throughout its 7km!). I don't know if it's still open after last night's rain - it's the lowest run in the area and currently has no snow-making, so it can sometimes suffer at the bottom, which then causes the whole run to be closed - at least until it dumps again.

I haven't been out skiing today so can't comment on the effect of last night's torrential rain. The pistes looked okay though, looking up from the village - plenty of happy people hacking down them and apparently having fun. Obviously you can't ski through the streets though, as you could a few days ago! It's forecast to snow tomorrow, so hopefully last night's rain was just an annoying blip - thankfully it happened overnight and today was fine and sunny.

Apres-ski news: The food and party atmosphere in the Bergeralm (3.30-5.30pm) comes highly recommended. The Hinterhag Alm (4.00-7.30pm) is going strong, as ever.

Apres-apres-ski news: The incomparable Irish folk/rock band, Cuckoo, will be playing in Bobby's Pub for the first time this season on 13th Jan (Tuesday) (they always used to come on at around 10pm, so assume it will be the same). Having said that Cuckoo are incomparable, Canadian Steve (one of Bobby's bartenders) has been enthusing about the band who have been booked to play in Bobby's every Wednesday this season - he says that they are at least as good as Cuckoo, although they go by the seemingly unpromising name of 'Duke Juke Box'. Spacey is back in Bobby's with his special blend of music and Geordie humour on 16th Jan, and he will no doubt be appearing in his usual haunts (Spitzbub, Berger's Sporthotel, Oetzi Bar) as well. The strongly recommended Underbar is excelling this season - a very friendly, welcoming atmosphere (largely generated by Richard and Johann behind the bar), an excellent live musician (another Johann, who comes on at 10pm) and some quite addictive cocktails.
ski holidays
Thanks for info guys, especially on the Après Wink
latest report
Love him or not....Spacey in Spitzpub Tuesday/Thursday for apres and Oetzi Sunday/Wednesday for apres apres.

Been snowing on and off all day, probably around 5cm at village level with more higher up. It seems to have refreshed the pistes after the warm wind and rain we had Friday/Saturday (19C in Salzburg Sad )

Temps down for the rest of the week with possibly more snow before the weekend, looking good Smile
ski holidays
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
Looking at the webcam at zwolferkogel tonight it seems the tropical weather has hit as predicted, let's hope it doesn't melt too much

Webcams showed 15°C in the town that day!
snow report
I'll be looking out for the infamous Tatman when visiting Saalbach Hinterglemm with my girlfriend next week!

Hoping for some sweet snow until then!
snow conditions
Quote:

the infamous Tatman

You Really Got Me there, @Kink, (Geddit?)
snow report
Thanks for the starter section in the first post. Its been years since i've been to Saalbach-hinterglemm. Does the tanzhimmel get busy in the evenings or is the party somewhere else these days.

Trying to decide whether to stay in Saalbach/Hinterglem/halfway between but if the best apres fun is to be had in the one or the other then i'd rather save myself a week of taxi fares...
latest report
Tatman do you know if any of the acts are likely to be in town at the last week of March/first April (based on previous years)? And do any take the short trip to Hinterglemm for après some evening?
snow conditions
You just ski to Hinterglemm at the end of the afternoon, get happily wasted and dance on the tables at the Goasstall (while looking at the fabulous view), then ski/fall down 30 metres (whilst giggling) and jump in a taxi home to Saalbach. They wait at the bottom of the slope to collect everyone. It's about 18 Euros IIRC and takes 10 minutes.
latest report
@HoneyBunny, not sure if your reply was for me. We're staying in Hinterglemm so if the bands go there... We also have a 13yo so aren't into mad après so probably won't be taxiing about too often between the towns - although probably will at least once to have a look around.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ohhh I see what you mean @hammerite, you were asking if the bands play in Hinterglemm. My apols for misunderstanding. I'm sure Tatman's Tours will know.

Go to the Goassstall anyway, it's young-teenager friendly and not rowdy and the view up the floodlit slope is gorgeous (apols again if you already know this!).
snow report
@hammerite, Based on previous years' experience, things start winding down at the end of March but should still be going during the last week (e.g. the Hinterhag Alm).

I'm sure that many Saalbach-based visitors spend some après time in Hinterglemm, and also vice versa. The taxi fare, split between a few people, is about the same price as one drink each.

As for the bands, well some have regular slots in Bobby's Pub, the Kuhstall and Castellos, and there's an excellent musician in the Underbar - all Saalbach venues. Whether there are equivalents in Hinterglemm, I will leave others to say. I once saw a pretty good band in the Glemmerkeller (having walked to Hinterglemm and back again along the river one moonlit night).

The usual thing for us is to end our skiing day at the Goassstall, and then sometimes go over to the floodlit piste for some night skiing, before taking a taxi back to Saalbach. Others like to do the toboggan run after the Goassstall. I've heard that the Schwarzacher après-ski bar, at the foot of the floodlit piste, is also worth a try. Personally, I don't enjoy the Goassstall as much as I used to - not sure why, sometimes the music is a bit boring (unless you're under 25), and it's also grown in size, and they've erected a hideous souvenir shop that partially blocks the view. The Hinterhag Alm in Saalbach gets my vote - but each to his own.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, @Tatman, thanks much appreciated. Jnr is keen on après as long as he likes the music and he can play the hammer game. Our last trip I went to the loo and came back to him talking to some lads who were staying in our chalet about to neck a jäger! We let him as he's actually usually pretty sensible, he liked it but spent the rest of the evening with a stein of water!
snow report
thanks @tatman, does the Hinterhag Alm have a terrace or is it all inside?

I'll be there the weekend of the 14th March, and i think i'm leaning towards Saalbach. I assume we won't be wanting for live music in town on a saturday/sunday evening?

T
snow report
@tpc, It has a terrace and a balcony, but the party is inside.

I'm probably not the one to ask about whether to stay in Saalbach or Hinterglemm, as I love Saalbach and don't often spend evenings in Hinterglemm. From the point of view of the skiing, the entire area is accessible from wherever you stay, although Saalbach is obviously more centrally located. One thing I would definitely not do is stay somewhere in between the two villages - I once did many years ago and spent a ridiculous amount of time walking and taking taxis.

Saturday/Sunday evenings aren't necessarily the best evenings for après-après-ski. On Saturday evening many people are getting an early night after their overnight journey. In Saalbach, your choice would be between Johann, the live musician in the Underbar (who is very good), Spacey (Geordie entertainer) in the Oetzi bar (on Sunday), an Austrian duo playing schlager music in the Kuhstall, and whatever may be going on in Castellos. Apparently there is a good band booked to play in Bobby's Pub every Wednesday, and Cuckoo will also be making occasional appearances in Bobby's during the season (the first tomorrow evening).
latest report
Quick self catering question. Family and I have always previously skied in France and this will be our first visit to Austria (24th Jan for two weeks and cannot wait!!!). In France, as most people do, we always do a couple of large supermarket shops down the valley and not in resort. Question is, do we do the same in Austria or are the supermarkets in Saalbach large enough and reasonably priced??
ski holidays
@spottyboy101, 4 very reasonable supermarkets in Saalbach, so no need to stock up 'down the valley' as you would in France. Their is no 'valley/resort' difference in most Austrian resorts; the resorts are down in the valley. Having said that, I'm aware that prices are a bit cheaper in Saalfelden, which you pass through on your way to Saalbach, which seems to be due to the competition between a Hofer (Aldi) and 2 large InterSpar and Mercur supermarkets.
snow conditions
@quinton, thanks for the info. Sounds like we can leave it until we arrive in Saalbach Smile
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
Black 15 I think, but I'm sure someone will know for sure.

BTW for anyone doing the Blue 68, make sure you stop at the Hecherhutte near the bottom. Fabulous views and I believe the best goulash soup in the area!

Blue 68 now showing closed on piste map...
ski holidays
I'm in Saalbach next week (Hotel Alpin) so fingers crossed it opens with the forecast snow, as it sounds lovely!
ski holidays
de.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/top

snow-forecast shows rain and very mild temperatures while Bergfex shows 45cm dump.

I bet there will be no snow and Bergfex will be wrong as always...
ski holidays
A question about paying for pensions.

The pension i'm staying at have asked me to pay a part of the cost up front, via an international bank transfer. Is this a normal thing for small austrian places. It seems pretty weird to me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy