Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2014/2015 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Today was excellent...and tomorrow i think will be the same...Saturday will be some snowfalls
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@quinton, that really is not making me feel any better. But i am sure you appreciate that.
Really though, great to hear that conditions are great for everyone.
Hope the mountains are great. I cant complain as i have had more good trips than bad.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like a great day there today, sunny and warm. Looks like some more runs open too including the home run to Vorderglemm. Cooler temps and more snow forecast for early next week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only two lifts closed from what I can see - outlying T bars. Don't they bother with these until busier times (though the runs they serve don't have snow cannon)?

Are the world cup descents going to be closed until after the weekend of 21st Feb?

First visit to Saalbach over half term (couldn't be avoided), staying at the Kristina so loving what I can see of its location. Who or what are Tatman's Tours?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forecast just updated.. 20cm at bottom and 40cm at top by Sunday night....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Who or what are Tatman's Tours?

Hello, that's me! It was probably a stupid moniker to choose, but it wouldn't let me use my full name of Tatman's Winter Alpine Tours, or funnily enough its acronym, which originates from a joke made many years ago when I used to organise annual group skiing holidays. The acronym seems to have stuck, prompting many a comment of, "Where the cap fits..." (which again has prompted me to order items of skiing apparel - including caps - proudly bearing my insignia, i.e. the said acronym).

In some respects the moniker is appropriate, since I spend a fair amount of my time touring around the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang (soon to have Fieberbrunn added) "Ski Circus", and nothing gives me greater pleasure than when first-time visitors to this corner of the Alps, be they fellow Snowheads or guests who have rented our apartments, allow me to ski and/or après-ski with them and hopefully show them a few runs, restaurants or après-ski bars that they might not otherwise have discovered.

The Seekar and Spieleck T-bars are indeed outlying lifts. The Seekar is at the extremity of the Zwoelferkogel sector and is often closed, but this is of little consequence. The Spieleck is a T-bar that we have never bothered to use, because you can get a chair lift up to the same point (the Spieleck 6er).

I think that the answer to your question about the World Cup descents will certainly be 'Yes'.

If you'd like a copy of my guide to the Ski Circus, PM me your e-mail address or e-mail me using the contact details in my website (below).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I might add you will struggle to find a more entertaining holiday than when you're skiing like a T.W.A.T. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HoneyBunny, Try typing that without the dots!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TT, I would agree that the Spieleck lift, which incidentally was "NEU" the first year I visited, really serves little purpose, but I love the Seekar. In it's own wee valley, often quiet when the rest of the Zwolfer is mobbed, and access to some great off piste. My holiday will be slightly diminished if it is closed when I'm there. Definitely not of little consequence in my mind.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Colinthc, What I meant was that there's still plenty of scope on the Zwoelferkogel when the Seekar is closed (as it often seems to be). I agree that it's nice to ski that 'hidden corner' when it's open, although the ravine that leads you back to the main area at the Ellmaualm can sometimes be narrow, dark and icy. Piste 19 from the top of the Spieleckkogel is a lovely blue piste, and you can access good off-piste by walking a little way along the ridge.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi All!

Myself and 5 friends are going to saalbach-hinterglemm for the last week of January.

We are flying into Munich airport on the morning of 24-01-2015 and we are wondering what is the best way to travel to Saalbach? We are staying in a hotel in Hinterglemm. We have been looking online at bus transfers and private taxis, but would really appreciate any advice that can be offered here.

Thank you
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@witnessmenow, Your best option is to book rail travel via www.oebb.at or www.deutschebahn.com (the Austrian and German rail/bus travel websites - click the little arrow on the right of the home page to get the English version), whichever quotes you the better price. Enter your destination station as Zell am See, which is the nearest railway station to Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

The journey to Zell am See takes about 3 hours, and you'll probably have to change twice - at Munich Ost and Woergl. However it's scenic and relaxing. We did it a couple of weeks ago for about 20 euros each.

On arrival at Zell am See, run like hell out of the station and you might just have time to get on the local post bus (at the bus stop on the opposite side of the road), which leaves every hour for Saalbach and Hinterglemm. However we suspect that there is some sort of cartel going on with the local taxi drivers, as our experience was that the bus pulled away, with cynical timing, about 1 minute after the train had arrived and passengers were emerging from the station - not a single one managed to get on the bus. However, there should be taxis waiting there to pick up the frustrated would-be bus passengers, and they are usually 8-seater MPVs. The cost should be around 50 euros (possibly a little more for 6 of you), so it's probably worthwhile to be taken by taxi quickly and directly to the door of your hotel, rather than have to sit on a bus for the 10 mile journey.

If you prefer to lash out on a private taxi transfer, look at www.holiday-shuttle.at and www.vorderegger.at
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was suprised at the prices for taxis recently. From Bauers to Hinterhag Alm was 13 euro. Not an insignificant amount for a short hop. Wonder at the cost between Hinterglemm and Saalbach now?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ianbradders, I remember being surprised at the cost of a taxi up to the Hinterhagalm many years ago - particularly surprising when it's only a short, easily achievable walk up the nursery slope. Last year the price of a taxi from S to H was about 15 to 18 euros for say 4 people.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
witnessmenow wrote:
Hi All!

Myself and 5 friends are going to saalbach-hinterglemm for the last week of January.

We are flying into Munich airport on the morning of 24-01-2015 and we are wondering what is the best way to travel to Saalbach? We are staying in a hotel in Hinterglemm. We have been looking online at bus transfers and private taxis, but would really appreciate any advice that can be offered here.

Thank you

I know it sounds a bit expensive, but I've hired cars before to Zell and Kitz from Salzburg. I guess for 6 people it may cost a bit much - I can usually pick up a rental suitable for 4 for about £200 for a week.

Not as cheap as some other options (though maybe not bad spread between 6) but much more convenient than anything else apart from a privately hired taxi which I know cost more than a basic rental when I've looked.

Budget seem to be the cheapest and hire out of Avis desks so on airport - and take own collision damage waiver insurance at about £16 for a week.
snow report
@buchanan101, Many people do it that way (car hire).
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@buchanan101, Many people do it that way (car hire).

I looked in to the alternatives - just for me alone it still seemed a good deal - cheaper than private taxi this year from Innsbruck to Obergurgl.

I also like travelling mid week when i ski by myself... for the obvious reasons at airports; Salzburg is a breeze mid week. Not looking forward to Saturday 14th Feb at Salzburg - no alternative - holidaying in Saalbach with partner and her children.
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@ianbradders, I remember being surprised at the cost of a taxi up to the Hinterhagalm many years ago - particularly surprising when it's only a short, easily achievable walk up the nursery slope. Last year the price of a taxi from S to H was about 15 to 18 euros for say 4 people.

Ah, but if only if the wife hasn't damaged her knee about three hours previously.
Although if i had known the cost i would have grabbed a snowboard from outside Bauers and dragged her up the Turm.
ski holidays
having skied since the days of tie on bindings in most of the places in aus st anton soll kitz solden ishgl mayrhofen etc plus the rest in france Chamonix la plagne portes d and switz verbier wengen etc in the last couple of years in saalbach can only say coming back to saalbach this year am almost as excited as I was when in my teens but will still try somewhere different on way out or in any ideas
snow conditions
Hi All.

Does anyone know the reason why so many lifts are closed at the moment, the Saalbach website says only 42 out for 56. On the North side the Schattberg X-press and Westgipfel look closed from the mid station up, the Schattberg Sprinter has been sporadically running over the last few days and on the South side everything looks closed from the mid station up. I’m guessing it must conditions/wind but the Zwolferkogelbahn seems to be running to the top??

Thanks
snow report
wind, and wind direction.

this page has a banner running across the live stream saying wind: "wegen starkem wind nicht betrieb" = "not operational due to strong wind"

http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/weathersnow/live-cams.html

snow-forecast.com shows about 25km/h at the top

With no wind all but two outlying drags and one beginner drag are running
ski holidays
@buchanan101, Thanks.

Bergfex say's between 5 and 10 KPH so it does seem strange. Thanks again.
ski holidays
RedorDead wrote:
@buchanan101, Thanks.

Bergfex say's between 5 and 10 KPH so it does seem strange. Thanks again.

snowforecast has wind at bottom at 10km/h
snow report
We skied over to Leogang today, and at times the wind was very strong on the summits. The snow was perfect though.
snow conditions
@buchanan101, the wind across the peaks can be very much stronger than lower down, plus the topography that a lift crosses can also exaggerate the wind speed. I used to fly paragliders around these mountains (had to retire this year due to a shoulder injury) and we have some very precise mapping of the local winds from Austro-Control which shows these variations very well. Can be damned scary too if you get caught in one! The area around the Zwolferkogel is one we like to keep well away from on our travels into the Pinzgau.

A place like Saalbach-Hinterglemm is not going to simply shut lifts on a whim to save themselves a few cents!
ski holidays
60 kmh winds at lunchtime at the top of Kohlmais, and minus 10° felt a whole lot colder with the wind chill. Most upper lifts closed in the afternoon due to the wind. The lift company may also be particularly cautious at the moment as in Bad Hofgastein they had to rescue 80 people from a gondola yesterday.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@buchanan101, the wind across the peaks can be very much stronger than lower down, plus the topography that a lift crosses can also exaggerate the wind speed. I used to fly paragliders around these mountains (had to retire this year due to a shoulder injury) and we have some very precise mapping of the local winds from Austro-Control which shows these variations very well. Can be damned scary too if you get caught in one! The area around the Zwolferkogel is one we like to keep well away from on our travels into the Pinzgau.

A place like Saalbach-Hinterglemm is not going to simply shut lifts on a whim to save themselves a few cents!

Wasn't me questioning why lifts were shut. I guess there is also the wind chill safety issue on chairs though I understand most/all high up chairs in S/H are bubbled?
snow conditions
All of the chairs in Saalbach-Hinterglemm have bubbles, except the old 3-man chairlift at the bottom of Kohlmais, where there is also a gondola, and the Limberg chair on Schattberg, which is rumoured to be on the list of improvements if/when a lift is built from Jausern to Schattberg.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 7-01-15 8:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in Obertauern when Kyrill came through in 2007. On one of the last lifts to go up before everything was shut down. Started off quite funny, but definitely not as we were being flung all over the place at the top. Whilst we caught our breath before heading down we saw one lift almost loop the loop. Oddly although it was windy on the mountain it was nothing like as strong as it was only a little above where the chairlifts were being batted around.
ski holidays
HI, We are coming to saalbach a week today!! (Yipee) we land @2pm in munich. we have a hire car and were just wondering on best advice for a route?
We travel back on the sunday, last time we did this we were very tight for time and we were in a taxi.
Although it was the dutch holiday week. Will there be any problems heading back on a 'normal' sunday 4pm ish?

Cant wait to be back in saalbach and the hinterhag in particular.

The forecasts are very changeable and look a bit hit and miss.

It looks like conditions are good and should be ok next week anyhow?

Cheers
ski holidays
This may be of interest - I'm sure Tatman knows all about it. Skiing from Zell to Fieberbrunn and back in a day? That's travelling. Kitzbuhel next?

snow conditions
@buchanan101, I think many of us were aware of the projected developments for later this year and next and in the longer term, but I've never seen them portrayed on a piste map before - thank you for posting it (where did you find it?)
latest report
So the link with Fieberbrunn will be ski down, lift back up? Good to see the need for the T Bar on Bernkogel (sorry any T Bar aficionados out there)! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Evening all. My fiancee and I are coming to Saalbach on the 17th Jan. We'll be staying in the Alpinresort Spa hotel, have any of you stayed there?

Also, how do you send a private message? I'd really like a copy of TT's guide.....
snow conditions
@Frank Lundy, You can contact me using the e-mail address that you'll find on my website (see above). (PMs can be sent by clicking on 'Send/Read Messages' above right).

Anyone who will be in Saalbach on 13th Jan, get down to Bobby's - Cuckoo are playing! (For the unitiated, they're a world-class Irish band).
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@buchanan101, I think many of us were aware of the projected developments for later this year and next and in the longer term, but I've never seen them portrayed on a piste map before - thank you for posting it (where did you find it?)

A link from the Zell/Saalbach forum here to a German forum:

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=792&start=3342
snow report
@Tatman's Tours, a belated 'Thousand Thanks' for sending on your excellent Saalbach/Hinterglemm guide via PM this time last year. Armed with all that info we really made the most of our holiday, so much so we are going back for round two this year:)

We missed Cuckoo last year as they moved from the Monday night to the Sunday night for the week we were there, but want to catch them this time around (we saw them once in Soll too - great band!) - do you know what time they start?
snow conditions
@Frank Lundy, Stay there in April last year and it's a fantastic hotel, absolutely loved it. The food is top draw and the Spa is amazing. We're going out on the 17th so might see you there. Very Happy
ski holidays
On my way to Saalbach on Saturday for the first time! Hows the apres ski any recommendations?
ski holidays
A couple of updates from Saalbach:

The long blue run 68 from Polten to Viehhofen has been open this week, and as usual there was nobody on it when I skied down it on Tuesday. Nobody at all on a 7km piste in perfect condition. Cool

Chicken Man at the top of Asitz / Leogang. Fears that this world famous eatery would be closed down once the new gondola was built have proved to be unfounded. In fact, his rickerty old wooden shack has been replaced by a smart new stone-clad hut, complete with a sun terrace where you can sit with your chicken (or ribs) while taking in the view.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy