Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2014/2015 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hey tpc, yes it is normal. Otherwise people would reserve a pension, then not show up if the weather sucks for example. Our pension is ~500€ for a week and we paid 150€ upfront with the rest a week before arriving there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Kink, Im taking a fair sized group so the upfront payment is big enough to worry about wiring to another country. Spoke to the tourist office and they said the same so mind now at ease.

Seems like a great business opportunity for someone offering a simple paypal/stripe setup that they could add to their site.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thinking of having a couple of hours with an instructor while in Hinterglemm. Any recommendations of ski school? Or are they all good?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anybody know if any of the bars in saalbach will show any English football on Sunday? I'd quite like to catch the City vs Arsenal game if possible
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@frank Lundy, bobbys often has the football on, saalbach is blessed with many wonderful things, however english football on the tv is very limited
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks ribble. I'll give it a try.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ribblevalleyblue, & @Frank Lundy, Bobby's shows live English football most nights of the week - and six-nations rugby, Champions League and Europa League football and loads of other sports.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Bobby's shows live English football most nights of the week

This evening it was Ipswich v Southampton, and last night it was Everton v West Ham - the band, Cuckoo, even had to delay their second slot because of extra time!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll be in Saalbach for a week from 7 February. Do you think I'll be able to watch Sportscene's Scottish Cup round up on the Sunday evening, featuring Partick Thistle vs Inverness? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@honved, Do you know that you can go night skiing at Hinterglemm and then you'd be sure to miss it Very Happy

Anyway, the Maryhill Magyars will romp it wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gandie, 'Mon the Jags Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've made a bit of a faux pas in that I've just realised that my snowboard boots are a touch on the small side and hence uncomfortable. I don't have the time to buy some new boots here as we fly to Saalbach early on Saturday morning. Are the prices at the shops in resort that much higher than elsewhere to put me off treating myself when we arrive? If not do any of you have any recommendations as to which shops might be the best?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK, my research continues. Stop me when i'm getting annoying Happy

Whats the deal with the Walleggalm/MegaAlm? It looks huge (as the mega might imply), but also quite tucked out of the way. Is it a restaurant most days that has occasional parties, a standard apres place with a v-long ski home, or something else altogether?!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a piste-side mountain restaurant that has live 'stars' performing on-stage regularly - for the most part probably known only in Austria and Germany. One who appears to be a regular is Antonia (aus Tirol), who whips up her enthusiastic audience into a frenzy with her low-cut dirndl and her many hit songs, including, "Er hat ein knallrotes Gummiboot". Google her, or search on youtube, and sit back and enjoy!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hah! So its normally a quiet restaurant that goes absolutely bonkers once a week, or so. Got you.

I love Austria.
latest report
She was DJ Ötzi's partner (in every sense) for a while Tatman's Tours, before they split up and went their own ways. She's concentrated on building up a large, noisy and boisterous local (German/Austrian) fan base, while DJ Ötzi tries to mix it on a world stage and pretend he is a superstar. She seems to be quite a canny lass to be honest and sells out all her venues pretty quickly.
snow report
Quote:

Hah! So its normally a quiet restaurant that goes absolutely bonkers once a week, or so. Got you.

There is usually something on every week and most afternoons, even if it is just an Austrian 'Smashie and Nicey' DJ playing euro-cheese. In high season it is rarely quiet.
snow report
Quote:

There is usually something on every week and most afternoons, even if it is just an Austrian 'Smashie and Nicey' DJ playing euro-cheese. In high season it is rarely quiet.

Amazing. This place gets better and better. Are there other places like this on the hill? Not come across this kind of place before, Apres ski party bars normally start, well, apres!

Believe it or not, i am intending to do some skiing while i'm out there if i can fit it in around all this other fun stuff Happy
latest report
Quote:

She's concentrated on building up a large, noisy and boisterous local (German/Austrian) fan base, while DJ Ötzi tries to mix it on a world stage and pretend he is a superstar.

It's amazing how wildly enthusiastic her adoring throng get when she sings "Hände hoch" and instructs them to hold their hands high, then not so high, then low. As for DJ Ötzi, we went to the Gaoassstall in Hinterglemm just before Christmas 2013 to see him perform live, and I can't remember when I've ever been so underwhelmed. To rapturous applause, he posed on a small podium in a glittering white outfit, surrounded by pretty girls, whose sole function seemed to be to drape themselves on him and look alluring. When he had a stab at singing, we settled down for some rousing renditions of "Anton aus Tirol", "Hey Baby" and "Sieben Sünden", only for his microphone to fail to function - and that was it - a few more waves and smiles, and off he went with his retinue in tow.

However: confession time - I was killing some time in Warwick a few months ago and went into the Oxfam charity shop, only to see his "Hey Baby" CD beckoning to me from a rack. Such is the brainwashing power of Austrian après-ski music, perhaps mingled with a sprinkling of nostalgia, that I invested 50p in it, and in another weak and impulsive moment added it to my iPod. At least the starving of the world derived a little benefit, even if I didn't.

Quote:

an Austrian 'Smashie and Nicey' DJ playing euro-cheese. In high season it is rarely quiet.

Last time I was there, I found myself trying to eat my gulasch soup in the middle of a seething mass of youngsters, who seemed to hail the DJ on the stage as some kind of messiah, apparently because he was somehow able to play some very monotonous, repetitive music (drum and bass?) at maximum volume, thereby rendering any lunchtime conversation impossible. I haven't been back since.

Quote:

Are there other places like this on the hill?

Quite a few mountain restaurants seem to have a DJ playing the music and occasionally you'll see live musicians - just a few that spring to mind, the Bergeralm, the Alte Schmiede, and the Asitzbraeu; however nothing really beats the Hinterhag Alm party at 4pm.
snow conditions
I'm sure I've seen these guys entertaining the Dutch crowd in Hinterglemm

http://youtube.com/v/27Wzz-2X_v4
snow report
@quinton, "Like" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
however nothing really beats the Hinterhag Alm party at 4pm.

True dat! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

however nothing really beats the Hinterhag Alm party at 4pm.

An enthusiastic agreement from this call sign! We were there on thursday and it was absolutely fantastic! I'm in the enviable position of being here for a fortnight, so I plan to be there at least once this coming week.

By the way, for anyone coming over this week, I'm currently watching the snow absolutely tonking it down, as it has been most of the morning. Very Happy
snow report
Looked good today on the webcams with some white stuff falling, hope temps stay low, just 6 days for me before I hit the Saalbach fun
snow report
Does anyone know if Bobbys can get BBC Wales?

Next Saturday its Swansea v Blackburn live in the FA Cup at 1245 GMT

Thanks
ski holidays
thanks guys for the heads up any bar that shows football is not going to get our custom
latest report
Well you're missing out then, Bobby's is great!
snow conditions
If you're going to be that much of a snob then I'd probably suggest that you wouldn't be welcome anyway, Ski for fun.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ribblevalleyblue - I've just watched city v Arsenal in bobby's bar on sky sports so you might be in luck.
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, Bobby's doesn't open until 15.00 (14.00 UK time) so at best you'll only catch the second half of the second half
snow report
A rumbustious après-ski session in the Bergeralm, followed by the Hinterhagalm, beats watching football on the tele any time...Hic!
snow report
@Frank Lundy, whoa not snobbish just I cant see the point of spending thick end of 2 grand to do something I can do at home when as tatman says could be in the après bars or on the slopes however we look like going 7th march so if bobbys showed Cheltenham gold cup could be different
snow conditions
@quinton thanks, therefore it's going to be an up early, ski hard and then late lunch/early apres whilst following it by BBC text service at the top of the mountain !
ski holidays
So watching the Cheltenham gold cup in Austria is different from watching the football in Austria bacause;

A) you can't watch both events on TV in the UK
Byou can watch both events on TV in the UK
C) Snobbery is acceptable when it's against football?

Hmmmm
snow conditions
I remember watching Man Utd v Bayern Munich in Fire & Ice in Ischgl once. It was sort of on in the background and I thought that it was odd that no one was standing staring up at the screen in rows, holding pints, like you see at home. "Musn't like football" I thought. Then Aryen Robben scored for Bayern scored and the place went mad. Those crazy Germans were pretending they didn't like football.

I have a foot in both camps. I'll ski all day and nothing apart from a coffee stop and lunch will stop that, but if I see any kind of football in a public place, whether on TV or in a local park, I'll stop and watch, at least for a while. It drives my missus mad. Very Happy Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Hi Just retuned last night. We had a great time and the weather was spot on.

As is said above the hinterhag was as always amazing.(even managed to bag a table)

Just a quick warning. On saturday night we went to the london pub in hinterglemm for some apre apre. We were still in our ski gear and as is the norm we hung our jackets. Unfortunately our jackets bags helmets etc did not stay as long as we did. The bouncers were no help whatsoever but the owners were ok they let us have a walk around the nex day but to no avail. We had to spend a few hours at the police station explaining our situation. They were good with us and gave us our crime ref number for our insurance. The real pain was missing our last days skiing. Gutted. Apparently this is becoming more and more common. there were another 4 0r 5 people in the station reporting similar things at various places. Just be carefull, Its a real shame these type of people are around.

Enjoy Saalbach Wish i was still there
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend a taxi company to do a transfer for 6 from Munich airport?

I've gotten prices of a couple of places:

Cheapest being foxtransfer.eu (€730 ish return) but I came a across a trip advisor post where people did not recommend them at all

Austria-taxi.at was another one I checked (€783 return)

Requested a price from munich-ski-shuttle.com

Holiday-shuttle.at is €760 for a taxi (bus transfer at €180 return per person is way too much)

vorderegger.at couldnt figure out their website for taxis, bus €125 per person so €750 in total, may aswell get a taxi for that

Anywhere else I could try or is that about as good as I'll get?

Thanks
snow report
Would you have time to go on the train? There is a station in Zell and a good Postbus link to Saalbach. Austrian and German railways are good value and reliable.

snowHead
latest report
Hi Chris,

While the value appeals to me greatly, I think for hadnieness sakes I think we are just going to get the taxi.

There is also the possibility of getting some skiing in on day we arrive if get a taxi, which appeals to me even more greatly Smile
ski holidays
Try four seasons tiroltaxi.at. We hired a car though and was an easy drive @ 150 euro for a decent estate car
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy