Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Just started snowing here in Plagne 1800 snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gently snowing this morning. The snow when I went to bed last night didn't amount to much.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim and justacey long may it last, enjoy Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bigtoe, i'm afraid the snow this morning didn't amount to much either - just a sprinkling.
but at least its not raining snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was lovely up top today. We went up the Grand Rochette twice and did the red run and the blue run back to Plagne Centre. The red was nicer and easier than the blue.
Then we went over to the Carella lift to Roche de Mio and did Levasset twice. That was lovely in the sun. There's lots of off piste tracks from there, presumably the La Mio black.
I came back to the village and it's a bit crispy in the shade.
I'd left everyone else to go up higher and at one point coming down Bridge there was nobody in front of me and looking behind there was one person just coming over the brow.
There are some grubby looking clouds heading here now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@justacey, nice report.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chrisb, Thank you.
The sister-in-law and family haven't long got back in, they said they did Levasset all afternoon and it was fab. But by the time they got back into the village, the routes where hideously icy.

And that's it from me, we are off home tomorrow. For me it was a great week of not too much skiing Smile

I thoroughly recommend VIP Ski in Plagne Centre, for both the chalet (apartment really) and the company itself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@justacey, yes, it was a lovely day.
Snow much improved with the overnight and early morning sprinkling.
We went the other way to you: up Arpette and over: the conditions there were superb, especially Dos Rond and the run down from Arpette to Belle Plagne.
Then the first bit down from Belle Plagne the arpette lift side was rather hairy: you either took the icy narrow recommended piste, or gambled with rocks on the rest of the piste.
The run down from Blanchette was as unpleasant (icy) as yesterday.
And it was quite chilly come 3pm - thank goodness for the Bergerie and Vin Chaud.
You still have to take the bus down to 1800 - there is a piste, but you risk your skis trying it, so is quite rightly closed.

Tomorrow is forecast sunny and staying cold
(there were a few snow cannons working in Plagne Centre)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad you enjoyed your week justacey Thankyou for your posts. Jonpim your just answered my question about skiing down to 1800.
Hope they meet a few more high up pistes ready for you tomorrow otherwise the few they have are going to be soooo busy !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clear blue skies and cold this morning
Snow cannons firing on every piste
The Pisters have done a marvellous job with what snow they have.
Skiing much better than news would suggest, but the real testing starts today as the Xmas punters who arrived yesterday emerge.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonpim, thanks for the updates.
I haven't booked yet but i am looking to travel on 3/1/15. Reports like these are invaluable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, we had a wonderful day's skiing today.
A few more runs are open, but still no link to Montalbert or Champagny.
The link to Les Arcs is open , though what the final run down to the Vanoise is like I rather wonder.
Anyway, Today: clear blue skies and cold.
We headed over to Arpette lift and on over to Montchavin sector.
Still very quiet - no queues anywhere.
Dos Rond not as nice as yesterday so we decided to head on down.
Our choice of run was Pierre Blanche (go right at bottom of Dos Rond), but this was closed.
After a brief discussion we decided to chance it anyway - brilliant decision: this was the highlight of the day.
A piste basher had gone up the middle, but oodles of fresh untouched snow down either side: bliss.
And a great adventure, not knowing what we would find around each corner.
We got down to the bottom of Pierre Blanche chair.
At the top we tried the other side: Mont Blanc down to the Bijolin chair. A mistake really: hard and not very nice.
So we headed up and over to Roche de Mio via Gondola from mid-station at Belle Plagne.
A leisurely snack in the Inversins restaurant (always way better than restaurant at the top), and then home by Levasset (lovely top section, bottom section a bit stony), Salla and the new Collosses.
Lots of the lower runs hard and tricky, full of struggling beginners/intermediates on the steeper bits. But of you take is slowly and calmly and stick to the softer patches, then not so difficult to get down.

So pistes restricted, but easily enough to keep most people happy. Fortunately resort reported as only 54% full. Could be less pleasant next week when New Year hordes arrive (but by then i'll be back in UK)

Tomorrow forecast similar weather - clear blue skies, but maybe a bit warmer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds good Jonpim, I'll be using the resturant you just recommended next week. We haven't skied la Plagne before so it's allways good to hear of a place to eat (or not eat) or two.
I am guessing last minute travellers are not go this year which is why it's only 54% full. We will be part of the hordes next week but again maybe the lack of snow will prevent a lot of late travellers going. Any idea how full it's due to be next week ?
I have a sneaky feeling that snow is going to arrive with us though ! And I think you may be due a little on Thursday and a tad more on Friday Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry @bigtoe, no info next week - i'd assume it will be pretty busy.
But as you say, lots of weather sites (including ours) predicting snow for New Year.
Hope it pans out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great day having been bussed up from Montalbert (that was novel!)
latest report
@Jonpim, You can still get in and out of Champagny, the gondola opened yesterday (albeit 30 miutes late due to teething problems with the new control system) even though barriers are across the runs down to Champagny. The runs down to Champagny on the Verdons Sud side are not open due to limited snow cover on the south facing slopes but Levasset is still open for those staying in Champagny. it is also possible to ski down the killis run from the top of the Blanchettes chairlift although the barriers are across it.
They have also re-opened the track from Levasset that takes you past the steepish bumpy bit on Levasset and close to the top of the Rossa chairlift, it is a bit of a walk up at one point to get back into the Champagny area but probably better snow than carrying on down Levasset.
The nursery areas at the top of the Champagny gondola are open and one of the three runs underneath Rossa chairlift opened today, I'd imagine they will open the other 2 this week as the snow was pretty good on the open one this afternoon.

We ventured onto the slopes on Verdon North this morning down into Plagne Centre (the Verdon Sud lift opened today) and there was some excellent skiing to be found. The black from the Grande Rochette gondola opened today and was in great condition, just a bit patchy on the steep narrow difficult bit but we were the only ones on it so probably the best run of the day.
The Inverssen red run opened today and the snow to the side of it was pretty good altough the main run was very busy, it looks like the tunnel run had been prepared so could open tomorrow.
Les Sources is still officially closed but plenty of people have been down there and it is still in good condition.

It looks like it will be sunny for most of this week but the temperatures are due to drop on Wednesday so I imagine the snow cannons will be running flat out then. They do seem to manage the pistes well in La Plagne so hopefully more will be put into service when the crowds arrive next week.

@bigtoe, Another recommendation for the Inverens restaurant
snow conditions
Just a quick note. Above post says Vanoise Express is open, my Les Arcs website says that was for pedestrians only on Sunday.

Situation is changing daily (and even the daily advice has been wrong), check it out before you get there if you intend to ski over to Les Arcs.
latest report
@AndrewsPeppers, I had a look yesterday and today at les Arcs open pistes and there where so many more open today, so hopefully for you all it will open for skiers soon!
@skichampcouk, thanks for the further recommendation Smile
snow conditions
@bigtoe, You definitely need to try the onion soup, it's excellent.

We've had a great day skiing today, beautiful blue skies and sunshine all day, some excellent snow on the glacier and off Roche du mio.
It seemed relatively busy this morning with long queues at the lift pass office in Champagny which is very unusual for a Monday morning, maybe people are travelling in for some snow.
The run down into Plagne Centre from the top of Verdons was pretty busy and there were large queues for the Bergerie lift and the goondola in Plagne Bellecote.
The queues for Blanchettes weren't that bad and it is still possible to ski down Quillis but it is now becoming very patchy.
The snow on the glacier was excellent and la Chiaupe was pretty good, the moguls weren't that deep and there were only a few small rocks dotted around,
Sources still wasn't officially open but still a pleasant but bumpy run, again a few rocks here and there but easy to avoid.
Probably the best run of the day was Mio (not sure if it was officially open) but some excellent snow on there once you got past the few rocks showing at the steep bit at the top. There is also a track to take you back down to Levasset for those of a nervous disposition.
snow report
@skichampcouk, impressed that you would risk your skis on Quillis Shocked

Like you we had another surprisingly pleasant day.
Met our first proper queue at Bergerie as we set off about 11am, but it moved pretty quick.
Like you we noticed Verdon Nord was open at last, so up Funiplange and over to Verdon Nord.
All the higher runs really rather lovely: forgiving piste and bright sunshine - what more could you want?
Then we went on down Verdon to the Becoin lift: the bottom section was light on snow and quite stony.
Won't be doing that again until there's a good dump of snow.
Up Becoin and over to the Bon Vieux Temps for drinks, that turned into lunch when the Golf lift packed up.
When Golf finally restarted we skied down to Colarado, and home via Capella and Vega.
The bottom of Vega is an interesting experience:

Busy or what?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 22-12-14 17:42; edited 2 times in total
snow report
That's hellish Skullie
ski holidays
I'm so glad it wasn't like that for me last week. I hate seeing other people in front of me as I will aim for them. No matter how much I think and say "avoid that", I will end up hitting it.
latest report
@Jonpim, I'm beyond caring about the skis, I only had them serviced on Friday and they now look absolutely knackered. Far too many grooves in them to bother about any more damage. I'll wait until it snows again before the next service.
ski holidays
Some pics of La Plagne from Monday.

The La Plagne Angel:

And the view over La Plagne from the top of Arpette lift:

And another lovely sunny day today . . .
ski holidays
Yes indeed, probably stayed here too long soaking up the sun at lunch time...

Drove up to La Plagne villages rather than taking the coach today. Then ambled in the general direction of Dos Rond Very Happy
snow report
@Jonpim, @Boredsurfing, I need sunglasses on just looking at the pictures!

Scorchio!
ski holidays
It was a beautiful day again and the same forecast for tomorrow.

@Boredsurfing, we probably skied past you as we were out that way around 1pmish.

Grande Rochette was probably our best run of the day, very quiet, good snow, only a couple of others on there. The steep narrow bit was more rocky than Monday but it is possible to ski around it.

Hopefully meteo.fr have the forecast right with snow predicted for Christmas Day.
snow report
Great shots. It looks so empty !!!!

good luck with the snow on christmas day, will make a lot of people out there very happy and those coming out on saturday as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Jonpim"]
The bottom of Vega is an interesting experience:

Busy or what?[/quote]

Good grief!

Still, better than working, eh?

Very Happy
snow report
And easily avoided! snowHead
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Even off season at the right time that place looks like that but as you say, easily avoided.
snow report
Just checked the webcams. I didnt realise that lifts were open on Christmas day, or at least I thought they only ran for the am. Looks quite pleasant at the top of La Rochette. 4 weeks n 2 days to go, but who's counting. snowHead
ski holidays
Interesting @Michael B your idea of lifts not running Christmas Day, when actually Xmas day is essentially a normal day in a ski resort, apart from a number of people in silly outfits here and there. Tomorrow (today: Boxing Day) on La Plagne webcams you might see even madder outfits, coz its "Boxers for Boxing Day". Should be a few hardy nutters out there skiing in just Boxer Shorts (well, they will have boots on, and maybe even a hat . . . snowHead )
latest report
Light snow during the night, -4 on the balcony now and all the snow blowers going at full speed, fingers crossed for tonight's and tomorrow's epic snowfall (:
latest report
Well, @boredsurfin, if @nozawaonsen's charts come true you are in for a trully wonderful week.

Just cold here in Edinburgh. -5°C early this morning. On my way home . . .
ski holidays
Announcement from the lift pass office that with the change in the weather they are going to be fully open as normal, including Paradiski link, villages etc from Saturday onwards. This is due to colder temperatures letting them make much more artificial snow today and tomorrow, along with a whole load of snow due on Sat and Sun too.

Hope everyone had a happy christmas Happy
ski holidays
Good news @Snow and Sunshine.
And, thank you, i had a lovely Christmas Very Happy
latest report
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Announcement from the lift pass office that with the change in the weather they are going to be fully open as normal, including Paradiski link, villages etc from Saturday onwards. This is due to colder temperatures letting them make much more artificial snow today and tomorrow, along with a whole load of snow due on Sat and Sun too.

Hope everyone had a happy christmas Happy

Yeah, 2 weeks tomorrow we arrive so things looking very good.
latest report
@Snow and Sunshine, wow that's fantastic news, I won't mind the horrible journey up the hill tomorrow one bit after hearing that good news Smile Very Happy
ski holidays
Heavy snowfall this morning in les coches, a few inches already and roads are properly white, winter tyres or chains will be essential.

On the transfer home now but have to say we've had a pretty good week's skiing considering, and not too crowded away from main lift hubs. First time in this area for us and my favourite has been the glacier which clearly has had the best snow depth and quality, imo, though -15 wind and hardback on Friday was in sharp contrast to mild conditions early in the week. We took to downloading on the gondola as far as Roch de Mio to avoid rocks on the way back down as these runs were suffering as the week went on. Dos Rond at top of the les coches sector has been in great condition except the very top off the chair. Some runs in La Plagne were bad enough for short sections they ought to have been closed but hopefully these will be well covered by end of today's dump!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy