Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
We're having a ball. Granted, a lot of runs are closed but those that are open are generally pretty good, including Tourmaline and Pierce Neige/Arete. No crowds, no queues, you just have to go with the flow and enjoy the available runs. That said, the upper part of Serpentine today was just about perfect. Had a ball playing around the sides and there was a lot of fresh stuff to the right as you go down. Sadly saw a lad fall and most likely break his leg on Chamois just before lunch. His dad was useless, just stood scratching his head. We kept him warm, alerted others higher up and help arrived within two or three minutes but it's still sad. Fingers crossed he'll be okay.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi - we are having a long weekend staying in Sixt Fer a Cheval at the end of the month. We have stayed there before, and previously drove to Samoens in the evening for a meal / beer. However, with friends this year, and wondered if there anywhere to get a meal, or even a beer when we get back from Samoens?

Cheers

Steve.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Windy but still fun today. Links closed at 2:30ish? Thankfully we were in Morison which is only a short bus ride to Samoens. Thankfully we'd just left flaine. Pistes quite good. Morillon was amazingly good, really surprised me. All tops of runs icy due to high winds blowing off snow. Probably scary for beginners, but very good fun for us thankfully. Hoping for some snow overnight now. Last day skiing tomorrow until Feb half term with family.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We knocked it on the head around 2.30 today. Early doors in Flaine then over the top to Samoens for a couple of hours. The wind was horrendous and lots of snow was being blown off, revealing boilerplate ice at the top of Tourmaline. Bit of a giggle and got back in one piece. Let's see if that top up arrives tomorrow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The wind was even worse today. Some lovely fresh snow in places, but awful in others. We stayed mostly in Samoens today and for about 30mins the sun broke through and we had some wonderful off piste fresh snow. Lovely. Then the weather came in again and we called it a day.

Home tomorrow, but back in Feb.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We stuck with it, stayed in Flaine all day. The high winds caused everything other than the Tête des Verdes lift to stop at times but there's been a pretty impressive dump today. We had Mephisto literally to ourselves around one o'clock with around 200/300mm of fresh. Very happy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all - first post so be gentle.

Coming back to Samoens a week Sunday

How much snow is there in reality?, particularly on the lower runs down to Vercland? If you have gone down it, how far down is it ski-able?.

A little snow is forecast but what's the realistic likelihood the runs currently closed will be opened especially around Flaine?.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Runs to vercland not open and are closed more often than open these days as far as I can see anyway. Almost all else in Samoens is open. Morillon is skiable down to 1100 though it was suffering this morning after rain, yesterday was excellent and in fact still open down to 800m but very bare. The snow limit today was about 1500. Les carroz is open on the one side, but not the other and suffering more than other resorts in my opinion. Flaine is only open in parts - but runs that are open are pretty damn fine! Plenty open at the moment, fresh today helped although very bare on the tops because of the wind. Snow is forecast ore the coming week, lets hope it's lots bad use it needs it before it gets busy in Feb.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I noticed that a number of currently closed Carroz runs and lifts were marked up as Prevision this afternoon - does anyone know if these areas are close to getting opened? It was mainly the Gron chair and runs around there...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good to hear there is some good skiing to be had. I keep checking the websites and forecasts but the forecast seems to change often, now the moderate snowfall that was is saying sleet, so hope that changes. Does anyone know if the Marvel is open in Morillon, I can't remember if that run has snow making machines. ( I am going with a nervous skiier and that run was a perfect confidence builder for her). Still snowdancing here in England. Hope everyone out there enjoys the rest of the week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The latest Bergfex forecast for Flaine is giving 62cm of snow from Friday to Monday, which would be wonderful. I'll believe it when I see it, though! Mind you, it appears 15cm has fallen today, which is more than was forecast yesterday (although not earlier in the week).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Marvel is closed - very little snow but other slopes down to Morillon are in excellent condition. Flaine today had around 30cm and we had some wonderful powder on empty slopes. Off piste was also good in places. Looks like sunshine tomorrow and more snow Friday Toofy Grin

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 14-01-15 23:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ringingmaster, try Auberge Feuille d'érable, Savoyard specialities, need to book as its small. Went there in the summerr, food was good and service was nice. There is a bar at the end of the Cascades run, if the run ever manages to open this season. There is a microbrewery in Sixt but have not managed to find it open. Please let me know if you do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My highly scientific method of forecasting, which involves looking out of the window and at the flags, suggests that another windy day may be on the cards. This is further enhanced by the lack of snow on the trees compared to last night. So, it's a wrap up warm and hit the slopes early day. Was hoping to hop over the top to Morillon and lunch at l'Igloo, but will gladly take anything that's open and available. I've heard quite a few loud bangs this morning, which might be precautionary/safety blasts? That or beer being delivered.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Minnie, Thanks for the recommendation. Just found it on the web and it is really tiny. Happy
snow conditions
@ringingmaster, But perfectly formed! There is also a bar close to the main bridge run by one of the rafting companies. Not sure what it is like in winter though or even if it is open
latest report
Garioch wrote:
I noticed that a number of currently closed Carroz runs and lifts were marked up as Prevision this afternoon - does anyone know if these areas are close to getting opened? It was mainly the Gron chair and runs around there...

Looks like a number of runs now open in carroz... Hopefully they are in decent condition.
snow report
Hi, Newbie to this forum.

I am off to Morillon 1100 soon, if current conditions stabilise would you say to have a good weeks skiing it is worth buying a ski pass inclusive of Flaine ?

Thanks
snow report
@mattdavies, Yes
ski holidays
@mattdavies, If the snow comes there's lots of fab skiing around Morillon 1100, Samoens, and Les Carroz, however if snowfall is not great having Flaine on the pass is worth it as its snow sure up high. We go on 24th and are waiting til next week to decide which pass to get depending on snowfall this weekend. Hope it's as good as it looks to be at present. Fingers and toes crossed.
snow report
Yes. Definitely buy the Grand Massif pass or you'll get bored before the week's out! It's not much more dough but it's a lot more skiing and the view of Mont Blanc and beyond to Chamonix from the Grand Platieres in Flaine is worth drinking in.
ski holidays
mickv wrote:
Yes. Definitely buy the Grand Massif pass or you'll get bored before the week's out! It's not much more dough but it's a lot more skiing and the view of Mont Blanc and beyond to Chamonix from the Grand Platieres in Flaine is worth drinking in.

I really don't understand how they calculate the day pass rates, coming out with two newbies again in March and thought I would look at ski pass options for them...... one day pass for Samoens, one 2 day Massif pass and one 3 day Grand Massif pass (i.e the areas we are most likely to use) - comes to 228.2 euros..... whereas a 6 day Grand Massif pass is 231 euros... go figure, that makes no sense.
snow report
Covvo wrote:
mickv wrote:

I really don't understand how they calculate the day pass rates, coming out with two newbies again in March and thought I would look at ski pass options for them...... one day pass for Samoens, one 2 day Massif pass and one 3 day Grand Massif pass (i.e the areas we are most likely to use) - comes to 228.2 euros..... whereas a 6 day Grand Massif pass is 231 euros... go figure, that makes no sense.

To encourage you to make one visit to the liftpass office perhaps??

A lot of companies give you a discount for a bulk purchase...less admin for them.
latest report

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 21:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lot of snow forecast this weekend, including 100% precipitation on saturday!

More importantly -9 forecast so it will hopefully stick for a while.
ski holidays
@carroz, regarding Happy Day passes - they are described as Flaine or Massif - do you know whether you can use a Happy Day to access the whole Grand Massif each day, or is it Flaine or Massif? i.e. for a long weekend where I intend to ski around all of the Massif and Flaine each day, do I actually need a 3 day GM? Thanks
latest report
@carroz, regarding Happy Day passes - they are described as Flaine or Massif - do you know whether you can use a Happy Day to access the whole Grand Massif each day, or is it Flaine or Massif? i.e. for a long weekend where I intend to ski around all of the Massif and Flaine each day, do I actually need a 3 day GM? Thanks
latest report

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 13-02-15 21:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you @carroz, - sounds like 3 day GM pass if I wish to be flexible through the GM, based out of LC for the long weekend.

Hoping to hear whispers of snow flakes falling soon?
snow report
Just arrived in Samoens. Absolutely tipping down via A40, dumping down in Samoens, woohoo. Starting to settle too so should be stunning up top tomorrow. Must have been the snow dance we saw a youth was doing in Morillon on the way through. Running along the high street in his shreddies waving his arms about he was.
snow report
@Basil, glad to hear the snow has arrived webcams in Morillon were looking dire. Out next Sat so hoping week ahead brings plenty of snow!!! Only at night of course don't want it to spoil anyone's week who's out there now. Thanks to all for updates and please keep them coming. I promise to return the favour next week.
snow report
Basil. Thank you my wife is going out with 4 friends on 29th.snowman updates are good. Wow this season has taken its time...we are back as a family in February. not known a season like it. Enjoy next week !!
snow report
We're on the way back down from Flaine to Geneva. Traffic is very light and running well. It's been bucketing down in Flaine since yesterday afternoon. And it's the big fluffy stuff. If you're coming out today, you're in for a treat! There's still plenty closed but hopefully this dump will get things rolling. Morillon was like a dirty mudbath yesterday, horrible, but the top of Faust was wonderful.
snow conditions
http://m.webcam-hd.com/grand-massif/grand-massif_morillon-1100

Morillon webcam painting a different picture this morning. Great news that the snow has arrived. Hopefully cold weather this week will freeze a base for the rest of the season. Enjoy, those of you that are out there.
snow conditions
Lovely for those out there today. Hope weather forecast stays as it is with low temperatures and more snowfall. Will continue the snow dancing. Hopefully more of the area will open for those out this week and following weeks including me. Thanks for the updates. snowHead
ski holidays
Off to Les Carroz today...the webcams are looking nice! Very Happy
latest report
off on Thursday, save some for us! Looks like it will be an unsettled week.
ski holidays
Looks amazing in the GM today. Please could some one wipe my favourite webcam at the top of the Les Carroz telecabine so I can see the view Toofy Grin snowHead
snow conditions
First post here on snowheads. Been following your brilliant updates every day this month as I'm off to the fantastic GM on 31 Jan for the fifth time. Thanks for keep us nervous people updated here in the UK.

Can't believe the difference in Morillon on the webcam. Looks great. I love a red run in flaine like anybody else but my heart sank when marvel closed this month and nothing was forecast. Its such good fun whatever your level.

I can probably stop checking the webcams every hour now (missus thinks I am a nutter) and stop chewing my nails about the (lack of) snow. Fingers crossed it stays and the temp stays cold for everybody for the rest of season. Whoever are there next week are going to have great time! Safe journey for anybody who is travelling today. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Fingers crossed it stays and the temp stays cold for everybody for the rest of season.

Most improbable....and I certainly have no wish to be skiing in spring with minus 15 windchill, thanks very much.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy