Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-02-15 21:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anyone know why many of the runs were not open today?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowyjim, They wont have had enough time to piste bash all the snow down I imagine. I am sure a lot more would be open by tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Rick!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 13-02-15 21:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We arrive in the new year, so guess it will be done by then?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 13-02-15 21:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys , great advice, just in the early stages so a few visits in both summer and winter to look at locations seems a really good starting point. So glad the snow has finally landed for all you new year skiers/boarders, I hope you all arrived safe. Have a great time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 21:25; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 13-02-15 21:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carroz wrote:
quick update: "could do with more snow".............well its snowing now and has been for last hour Very Happy

Keep it coming! More forecast at the weekend so fingers crossed, we get to Flaine on the 3rd.

Thanks for all the updates carroz, I've been stalking your posts on here, a bit, don't be afraid. I doubt I'm the only one as there is nothing better than a first hand report of actual conditions.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Carroz spot on as usual about the conditions. Was a lovely sunny day till about 2. We didn't stop early enough and took a v long time to get back from Flaine to Samoens, massive queue at GME to get down to the village but everyone good humoured as we all huddled together like emperor penguins in the snow flurries. Really need the snow as the links between Flaine and Samoens were looking very bare this afternoon.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope you all have a great New Year. We drive home tomorrow, leaving behind some great skiing for you all.....wrap up warm the temperatures have really dropped !!!! And it's still snowing !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snow Hound, Thank you, I enjoy doing the reports, makes me think about my skiing day and notice things while I am skiing. Like the huge piece of real clear ice at the top of plein soleil, looks like a snow cannon leaked.

@AP1, Have a good quiet journey home ...as you say its going to be even colder tomorrow, extra layer I think......................Brrrrrrrrrr
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at the map, it's not clear how to get back from Sixt... is the Ligne Verte a green shuste? Then you worok your way back across from Samoens village?
ski holidays
@macgyver, there is a bus which takes you back to Samoens.
latest report
back to work today Crying or Very sad had a fantastic week in morillon, samoens etc the Saturday dump helped with our last day of skiing and we were lucky by Sunday they had done an amazing job of clearing the roads so route out was ok. I would like to say a big thanks to all those who helped me with input and comments over the last few weeks, you really are a great bunch and your advice etc helped keep me sane. On a personal note please let's keep the delights of the grand massif a secret so it will remain a fantastic un commercial area for us to enjoy long into the future. Happy skiing to you lucky lot that are out there now and for the rest of the season. snowHead snowHead
snow report
@macgyver, There is only a bus. Don't try to figure anything else out! Assume you are talking about coming out of Cascades? If you are skiing at Sixt then a car would be easier.

For those returning to UK it looks like you have mainly had a good time. I go on Sunday for a few weeks - sorry! Can't be doing with the Christmas/New Year scrum - more fun in London.
.@Colinski, Nice idea but hard to keep GM a secret when MGM is building left, right and centre.
ski holidays

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-02-15 21:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Tues 30 we skied in Samoens and Flaine today, and i agree it was very cold in the wind at the top with snow blowing around. My son and I had a private lesson today, so no problem with some of the larger lift queues, thank goodness. Very beautiful too and snow generally in very good condition.
Very Happy
latest report
Was reading this earlier. http://winter.grand-massif.com/weather-and-snow-conditions Does anyone know why so few reds are open?
latest report

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 13-02-15 21:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@carroz, will it be decent skiing next week as have a chance of a last minute trip to LC
ski holidays

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 21:26; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
sounds ok for us we'll mainly stick to the pistes anyhow. If mrs jirac can get time off work squared away we have a choice of La Plagne, Les Carroz or Via Lattea
ski holidays
Thanks @carroz
ski holidays
@carroz, been researching properties and this whole leaseback thing confuses me. Basically I understand you buy property and then lease it back to company for 9 years, and you get discount on visits and get around a 5% yield. Some companies are saying thus us guaranteed but theres Loads of negative feelings online to this with people not receiving rents or not getting money back etc which kind off scares me, plus the refurb payments etc and some companies pulling out of buildings.

As I'm a teacher, also I would would want to be out there in peak times which would not suit this kind of thing.

I guess what I what I'm asking is whether I'm right discounting the whole leaseback thing, basically I want to ski Christmas, half term and Easter and spend a couple if summer weeks out there. Is it pretty straightforward to find a rental agency to let it the rest of the time or will I have to do it myself thorough sites like holiday rentals.com etc..

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
Flandiddly wrote:
@carroz, been researching properties and this whole leaseback thing confuses me. Basically I understand you buy property and then lease it back to company for 9 years, and you get discount on visits and get around a 5% yield. Some companies are saying thus us guaranteed but theres Loads of negative feelings online to this with people not receiving rents or not getting money back etc which kind off scares me, plus the refurb payments etc and some companies pulling out of buildings.

As I'm a teacher, also I would would want to be out there in peak times which would not suit this kind of thing.

I guess what I what I'm asking is whether I'm right discounting the whole leaseback thing, basically I want to ski Christmas, half term and Easter and spend a couple if summer weeks out there. Is it pretty straightforward to find a rental agency to let it the rest of the time or will I have to do it myself thorough sites like holiday rentals.com etc..

Thanks in advance

Buy a house to live in, just rent a holiday place or stay in a hotel and let someone else have the hassles, costs & responsibilities of ownership...plus you can go wherever you want when you want!

Never really understood this need to own bricks & mortar in a foreign country...especially using borrowed cash.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holy Thread Drift..............how's the snow doing!!!!!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=21
snow report
@Flandiddly, Don't go leaseback unless you want it for investment only with a few benefits. If you want it for the weeks you mentioned - definitely don't go leaseback as you won;t get anything back by using those weeks anyway. Might know a nice little 2 bed apt for sale in Samoens if you are serious wink
snow report

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-02-15 21:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Stones. Lots of them. Too many. Just shows that a big dump on hot pistes is not the same as consistent snowfall on ice cold earth.
snow report
Thanks for the updates @carroz, and @Juddernaut, another 10 days until I come out... hoping for some snow... thankfully the crowds will have left. We usually get the place to ourselves 2nd week of Jan Happy
snow conditions
I was looking at the interactive map for the grand massif http://hiver.grand-massif.com/skimaps and although the lift appears to be open in Morillon, there is no follow on lift from there. Is that correct? Does that mean you can't get up the slopes from Morillon?
latest report
Happy new year to everyone!

Lots of bare patches on the lower pistes in the Flaine bowl and stones and even rocks on most of the pistes. They opened the Aujon drag for the first time this morning and there was loads of untracked powder just to the side of the piste coming down from the top - did about 6 circuits. Temperature at the bottom of the DMC at 1pm was +4C - not going to do the snow much good. We arrived on Saturday night (don't ask what the journey was like - I want to forget all about it!) and the conditions so far this week have exceeded all my expectations. As others have mentioned, there are some very long queues for the lifts - Chariande Express on Tuesday must have been about 20 minutes on Tuesday, likewise the Sairon chair out of Morillon on Monday.

Have heard rumours that more snow is expected on Saturday but with the temps where they are at the moment it will fall as rain on all but the highest slopes.

@Snowyjim, From the top of the Sairon chair out of Morillon it is a short ski to the bottom of the Lanches chair, which, although slow, takes you to the top of Tete de Saix. From there you can access Carroz, Samoens and the Flaine bowl, the latter via the Vernant chair.
snow report

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 13-02-15 21:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@jirac18, so sorry for the drift, thanks for the link... @carroz, thanks for the good advice.
ski holidays
Off to Flaine on Saturday morning and everything I'm reading here tells me I should be taking my old rock board with me and leaving my new toys at home? So sad. A degree or so might see snow instead of rain on Saturday but I guessing even that wouldn't make much difference?
snow report
@Snow Hound, have been in GM for week and sorry to say more rocks appearing every day. In Flaine there are many visible holes and so few reds are open. New snow would help but the base is just not there. I have scratched my hire skis in places so wouldn't rush to take new gear.
That said we have had a very good week considering and snow up top is still very good. Just hope it stays cold for you.
snow conditions
Our last day today and rocks everywhere except the top of Flaine, which is still nice. The red runs back to Samoens from Tete de Saix were ok, no stones but a bit of ice, blue ones presumably a bloodbath of beginners falling like skittles, to be avoided. @Snowhound, at least you will have the pistes to yourself next week, which will preserve the snow a bit. Have a good time!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy