Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
@On the rocks, yep, could be that web site is wrong. They would have to be pretty stupid to advertise the fact they are closed but then open up shop. However I can't see the rest of GM opening before XMAS but I hope an act of god proves me wrong.

This evening in Geneva was finally cold and a lot of rain. Could have been a dump up high with more to come overnight.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes a dump in progress in Flaine reported so hopefully some limited opening may happen
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Webcams looking better now than they did 24 hours ago. I remember the year we "moved in" to our apartment, the GM was due to open and there was no snow... however, the Friday night it dumped a foot of snow... voila, all was well. Lets hope same thing happens.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I expect that they will open the minute they can.

As I understand French contracts, they're paying the staff despite being closed...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 13-02-15 21:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was raining at 23.00 last night at 1650m in Flaine and is still raining this morning. May be falling as snow higher up. Piste bashers have been out in the Flaine bowl.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was raining at 23.00 last night at 1650m in Flaine and is still raining this morning. May be falling as snow higher up. Piste bashers have been out in the Flaine bowl.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Off back to the UK for two weeks tomorrow, hoping it gets a proper freeze on and gets snowing otherwise it'll be Val Thorens again, and we should have bought a 3V pass!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok, so now they've hidden that car.....with a great big heap of snow that has obviously been ploughed from the car park this morning!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sj1608, ha ha I was just thinking the same Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just been up to Samoens 1600.... Raining. They are doing their best to move snow and get something open for Saturday... Base on pistes is about 7-8 cm and it was pretty warm.... 3 degrees... May head to Avoriaz for a few days next week
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Mason wrote:
Piste bashers have been out in the Flaine bowl.

I thought the bowl was unpisted? Have they decided to piste it now?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Flaine skier, I think you're thinking of the Gers bowl, which is unpisted. The term Flaine bowl usually means the whole 'bowl' that Flaine sits in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After yesterday's chat about it snowing.......today is very quiet on this thread. Suppose all of us are watching the cams thinking "well it don't look any better" Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sj1608 wrote:
@Flaine skier, I think you're thinking of the Gers bowl, which is unpisted. The term Flaine bowl usually means the whole 'bowl' that Flaine sits in.

Thanks, yes, I was... Embarassed
latest report
The good news is that it's stopped raining. At resort level it's very slushy, temperature at the bottom of the DMC at midday was 4C. Freezing level is around 3000m. They appear to have stopped trucking snow in, maybe they'll start again before everyone arrives on Saturday. I'm off home tomorrow but return on 27th, or at least that's the plan. Unless there is a change in the weather I will have to give serious thought as to whether to come out, although I suppose I will have to listen to the rest of the group I'll be travelling with.
snow conditions

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-02-15 21:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
AP1 wrote:
Just been up to Samoens 1600.... Raining. They are doing their best to move snow and get something open for Saturday... Base on pistes is about 7-8 cm and it was pretty warm.... 3 degrees... May head to Avoriaz for a few days next week

Don't count on that. Avoriaz are limiting lift pass sales to those staying locally.
snow conditions
We have season passes for Gm with 3 days included for PDS. Does that make a difference
ski holidays
@AP1, don't know but would be worth checking before travelling.
ski holidays
@carroz, safe trip and let us know what's going on on the ground. I am heading down early on Sunday morning.
ski holidays
@AP1,
Quote:

don't know but would be worth checking before travelling

certainly worth checking as I think Avoriaz will be
Quote:

limiting lift pass sales to those staying locally

Are you sure that with your GM season pass you get 3 days in PDS in any case? We get reciprocals with our PDS season passes but can only go to GM on one occasion, likewise the other French resorts mentioned.
snow conditions
Something will be open Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy please save some me and my family for Monday please

Statement from the Grand Massif ski areas of 19/12/14 - 15h05
The current snow conditions mean that we are able to open the following sectors for you this Saturday 20th December:

FLAINE
Beginners area : Télébenne - Tapis Bissac – Télésiège du Pré
Slopes : Bissac, Épicéa, Pin, Érable
Free

Télécabine Aup de Véran
Slopes : Méphisto, Calcite, Érable
One price : 19€

Cash Desks Opening hours
DMC – from 8.45am to 6.30pm
Aup de Véran – from 8.45am to 4.00pm
Grands Vans – from 8.45am to 4.00pm

SAMOENS
Télécabine GME - Télécabine des Saix
Round Trip – One price : 7,50€

Beginners area : Téléski Pendants - Téléski Château - Téléski Babuches – TGD - Tapis Oratoire - Télésiège Damoiseaux
Slopes : Babuches 2, Demoiselles, Oratoire, Pendants, Château
One price : 10€

Télésièges Chariande Express and Chariande II
Slopes : Marmotte, Dahu
One price : 19€

Cash Desks Opening hours
Grand Massif Express – from 8.15am to 6.00pm
Vercland – from 8.30am to 2.00pm
Les Saix – from 8.45am to 2.00pm

MORILLON
Télécabine
Tapis Essertoux
Free

Information Points
Village – from 8.30am to 5.00pm
Les Esserts – from 8.30am to 5.00pm

LES CARROZ
Information Point
Télécabine – from 8.30am to 5.30pm

SIXT
Information Point
Salvagny – from 8.30am to 2.00pm

The uncertain weather forecast means that we can only announce what is open and sell lift passes on a day to day basis.
With a potential light snowfall tonight and a drop in temperatures on Saturday, we will inform you before midday tomorrow, of any change in what will be open on Sunday.
Thank you in advance for your understanding.

------
Statement from the Grand Massif ski areas of 16/12/14 - 12h05

The Grand Massif resorts of Flaine, Les Carroz, Morillon, Samoëns and Sixt have been affected by the lack of precipitation and cold spells during this early part of the season.

Faced with these difficulties, and whilst being well aware of the huge inconvenience that this causes, we regret to announce that the poor snow coverage means that we will not be able to open the ski area this Saturday 20th December.

In view of current conditions and depending on how the weather evolves over the coming days, we are doing all that we can to open some areas, albeit restricted:
- in Flaine: on the Pré and Bissac sectors
- in Les Carroz: at the top of the Kédeuze telecabine
- in Morillon: on the Esserts beginner zone (Les Esserts)
- in Samoëns: at the top of the Grand Massif Express (Samoëns 1600)

A shuttle bus service will be laid on in the Giffre valley linking Morillon, Samoëns and Sixt.

We will keep you updated of any changes during the week.
ski holidays
Yeeeees !!! Can't believe how excited we are here for 1 red and 1 blue !!!!
Colder here this evening so hopefully it may be cold enough further up for the cannons to be working. Will let you know how it was tomorrow afternoon. Quick ski then heading to Geneva to pick up my daughters...
snow report
Well, it's a start. We're going to sit it out at home for a few more days. I have just accepted a work meeting invitation for Tuesday, so it looks like a dash on Christmas Eve or wait until after Christmas. How are French roads on Christmas Eve??
snow report
And Pamski, you were quite correct. We get 3 days in others resorts but can only visit a single resort once. So may head to Chamonix another day. Need to check conditions there
ski holidays
This is probably a really daft question, but given that the press release says that lift passes will be sold on a daily basis, will we be able to use our season passes? Have they refunded anyone who has bought a weekly pass or can weekly passes be used as well (just out of interest). I have a lesson booked on Sunday afternoon and don't want to pitch up at lunchtime to find that my season pass is invalid!

Thanks
latest report
Rachel, the same thought crossed my mind, but i am sure the season pass is valid. Any problems tomorrow I will let you know
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks!! We are arriving in Samoens tomorrow so if I get the chance, I'll check at the cash desk but it would be great if you could report back as we may well not get there in time.

Zigzag have confirmed that they are running all lessons. ESF haven't confirmed yet but they told us to check at their offices tomorrow. I'm hopeful!!!
snow conditions
rachelharrisonsmith wrote:
This is probably a really daft question, but given that the press release says that lift passes will be sold on a daily basis, will we be able to use our season passes? Have they refunded anyone who has bought a weekly pass or can weekly passes be used as well (just out of interest). I have a lesson booked on Sunday afternoon and don't want to pitch up at lunchtime to find that my season pass is invalid!

Thanks

We had pre-purchased week passes a couple of months ago. When they announced the Force Majeure and closed the resort from 20th Dec they notified me that our purchased passes were automatically cancelled and invalid and a full refund was processed without discussion.
ski holidays

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-02-15 21:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@carroz, looking at the cams this morning I think it all fell as rain Sad
ski holidays
We are arriving on the 2nd Jan. Is there any hope? What are video viable alternatives to ski? Avoriaz or Chamomix?
snow report
Reports from Chatel that it was snow above 1800m so hopefully top of Flaine got some? Grasping at straws I know.
ski holidays
Fingers crossed snow hound. This is all very depressing
latest report

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 13-02-15 21:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just skied samoens. Pretty bare in parts. Was snowing at top of Chariade Express and snow was ok but got gradually worse. If temperature is as forecast I cannot see the slopes they have open today being open early part of next week. They have done well to get anything open..

Rachel only good news is that your pass is fine !!!!
snow conditions
@AP1, glad you managed to get a few runs in Very Happy am still hoping those temperatures they forecast are wrong
snow report
Sorry if this is a silly question, i understand the need to get beginners runs open at resort but if the snow is falling at the top why havent they worked on pisting those high upper slopes down maybe to the Col de Plate and Perdrix chairs. You could then ski the upper part of that bowl. Its got to be snow up there and that would be a decent amount of runs. Surely temps up there may even allow snowmaking. Wouldn't this allow people to get DMC up and possibly grand ballacha(is this a chair??)/dmc down and use col de plate and perdrix lifts to ski a half decent area with half decent snow.

Probably something obvious i am missing but weirldy i thought they would prioritise those.
snow report
@AP1,
thanks for the information on the ski pass, though the slopes don't sound so good. We spoke to the Zigzag people today and they were saying that the snow was quite good up top, but that was this morning. I suspect that its take a bit of a battering.

ESF are running their classes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can find sufficient snow to keep the children occupied all week. We spent a fantastic few days at Landgraaf in October (that's 500 metres??) and children happily train several times a week on a 100+ metre dry slope, so how much snow do we need??!! (I don't need an answer to that.....)

@Colinski,
I hope that your children have a great time at their lessons tomorrow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy