Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
johnE wrote:
So based upon my sample of all the evidence available (one person) I would say that Les Arcs will be much more crowded than Tignes.
Not skied Tignes for a few weeks so can't say for certain, but from what I've heard locally the skiing in Val Thorens is much better than the glacier in Tignes, with more terrain available, more lifts running and generally decent piste conditions above 2400m.

We're actually going to VT on Friday (straight from GVA airport), so we'll get a bit of an afternoon there. I just couldn't quite justify the journey to VT from Arc 2000 on a daily basis, being as our accommodation is set.

I'm pretty sure we'll just make the best of it and if its not good then just go for a beer, a wander or a drive seeing how we feel. Main ski trip is in February so we'll still get a chance to get some decent skiing done when the snow finally arrives. And Les Arcs may just surprise us, I'm more worried about queues than I am about the amount of pistes open.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dav, I would not bother with going to Tignes or Val d'Isere. We called off our trip up the valley last weekend due to lack of snow and went to Lyon to see the light show instead. I was wondering about going up the valley myself, but now shall not bother. I heard the queues are quite bad and the snow cover has not improved very much.

Normally the queues are not so bad first week in Les Arcs as many people like to watch the movies at the Film Festival or just hang out. Last year first week I did not queue once, but there was more snow.

I shall just see what it is like and enjoy whatever I am doing. Think that is the best advice I can give anyone.

Who know's if we get the storm that has hit UK, then we could have a repeat of last year on the first week. Now that would be amazing. I always like to be positive if possible.

If you fancy meeting for a beer or even a ski while you are around send me a PM. Better to do so on my facebook page as I do not always check here once I start on the hills everyday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowcrazy and all, thanks for the advice. Confirmed what we kind of knew before! We'll just see how it goes.

As for a beer, we're aiming to be in Whistlers from about 7pm on Friday night.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It snowed a bit in vallandry mon eve and apparently had a bit today. We are due a bit of snow over the next few days but temps are due to rise at the weekend.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's snowing more in Dunfermline than it is in Les Arcs just now! Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a drive up to Arc 2000 yesterday, its not looking too good.

The bashers are moving a lot of snow around and the piste down from transarc to 1950 is starting to take shape... Other than that nothing else looks great.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For those wondering where this photo was taken. It is looking up at the Lavechette chair and the Aigulle rouge behind, so it is actually in a dip in front of the Arc 2000 Club Med building and this area does not always get that much snow. Pity @timlongs, did not post a picture higher up looking at the pistes. If you have any better photos of the whole ski area looking up from Arc 2000 please post one.

The webcams are looking a bit better than this so do not be to put off. I think we will all have a good time. I will be skiing tomorrow! Very Happy

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Time for an update for the coming week's activities on offer not on the snow! I know you all want an update on snow depths etc, but better to wait for that until I have been out on the snow again so that I can give you a first hand report.

It's 'Film Week' in Les Arcs with the European Film Festival and as a bonus this year they also have a' Music Village'

What does this mean. Easy, we get to watch loads of films really cheaply and even better, you can listen to cool music until late and still drag yourself out of bed for a ski the next morning.

For us English speakers this year's film festival is especially good as there are loads of English language films for once. They are featuring Irish films and many of these have been made in English. Some are very famous like, 'Bloody Sunday', 'The General' and others are not so well known.

The opening night on Saturday is featuring a new film from Ireland. 'X + Y' at the Taillefer Centre in Arc 1800. Sounds an interesting film. The weeks kicks off with 'Bloody Sunday' at 2pm in Arc 2000 for anyone interested.

Then through the week there are loads more. Check out the details of everything that is going on here: http://lesarcs-filmfest.com/programme/index.php?p=the-programme

IMO it is well worth buying a few tickets and checking out at least some of the films. If you are very keen you can buy a week's pass. All details are on the link I jut gave you.

If you are an owner you can get a discount, check your owners site for details.

For the Music Village there is also a special deal to get screening tickets and music village so might be worth checking that out as well.

Or if all you are into is the music, you can just buy the Music pass.

I have not heard of any of the bands playing, but then I am 'old Very Happy' BUT I am told some of them are very good.

http://www.lesarcs-musicvillage.com/

Finally, ff you are passing through Bourg or arriving on the train. Polaire Star Ski and Snowboard rental shop will be open from the first day of the season. Check it out as they have some great gear for hire this winter.

http://www.polairestar.com/

Hope that all helps with your planning. Have a fun week and see you at some of the events I hope! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Competition: Ironic film titles at this weeks film festival.....

I'll kick off with Frozen
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
White Christmas
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Snowman
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Day After Tomorrow
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowcrazy wrote:
For those wondering where this photo was taken. It is looking up at the Lavechette chair and the Aigulle rouge behind, so it is actually in a dip in front of the Arc 2000 Club Med building and this area does not always get that much snow. Pity @timlongs, did not post a picture higher up looking at the pistes. If you have any better photos of the whole ski area looking up from Arc 2000 please post one.

The webcams are looking a bit better than this so do not be to put off. I think we will all have a good time. I will be skiing tomorrow! Very Happy

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs

I was in a bit of a rush earlier, but here are a few more photos:

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@timlongs, Looks about 30-50cm short of requirements..... Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow that looks brutal. #pray4snow
ski holidays
Over 500 students from Northumbria Uni arrive in 1800 on Saturday too, I'm heading up to Peisey and Coches tonight so will update how the snow cannon progress is looking...
snow conditions
Time for an update about the snow levels. Some stuff about Les Arcs and also what I saw else where today.

I will try to post a few photos later, managed to get some good shoots of the whole Arc 2000 bowl, but it takes time to upload them. Check back tonight.

Went up to have a little slide on the skis this morning while the sun came out. Not in Les Arcs, will go there tomorrow. Today I went up to La Rosiere to meet some friends and check out the new lift I had heard about. Also had a chance to look across to Les Arcs and up the valley to St Foy.

When we started out the sun was shinning and I soon discovered why La Rosiere is not opening now until 20 December.

The snow cover is very thin on the south facing slopes. I could see across to Arc 2000 bowl and the cover looks a little better there as the slopes are north facing, but still not that great. St Foy also looks just about skiable at the top, but lower down it is also very thin in most places with just a dusting of snow.

We drove as far as we could then skinned up the road past the lifts and towards the ridge. Good exercise, but not great skiing. The snow is well worn and quite sticky where the sun had been shinning. In the shaddy places it was better, but it did not seem that cold today.

My guess is we need a really big freeze for a few days to get the ground really froozen and then a big dump of snow. I think this will be much the same everywhere below 2500m in most areas.

On Saturday I will be up in Les Arcs. They are only opening the Transarc to get across from Arc 1800. The Arcabulle and the Marmotte if I understood correctly. So very limited skiing just in the main bowl. Better than nothing, but only just. Hope it is not to busy.

There will be buses running from Pesiey Vallandry to the Transarc in Arc 1800 and also buses from Arc 1600 to Arc 1800. There will be buses running from Arc 1600 to Arc 1950 and Arc 2000.

Getting around on the buses should be ok as long as you time it right so that you do not need to wait to long for a bus. Again, better than nothing, but only just!

As I posted yesterday. The Film Festival and Music Village are up an running so there are other things to do.

Best just enjoy the mountains and not worry about the lack of snow cover. I would not go off piste in most places, to many rocks just waiting to catch you out.

Snow conditions update and other info about the latest development in Les Arcs in tomorrows post.

@timlongs, much better photos. I shall try and add a few later. It is better in the Arc 2000 bowl than it is over in La Rosiere from what I saw today. But still not that great I agree. Still better than nothing. At least we are opening Very Happy
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, Yeah at least they're opening. Unfortunately the lift pass office are not giving me my workers pass yet as they don't want us crowding the slopes! No skiing for me just yet, I'll be looking out the window of my apartment in glieres!
snow report
Here are a few of the photos from today. Go to my Les Arcs Winter page for more info.

Ok folks. Photos for today are now posted. There is one that is a test for all you clever people. Can you answer the question. It does not look great, but at least we can ride somewhere tomorrow. La Rosiere is now staying closed until 20 December. I can see why.

Here is the link to the photos, go to the last photos added for today.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.750205721722563.1073741841.195692797173861&type=3

Finally, ff you are passing through Bourg or arriving on the train. Polaire Star Ski and Snowboard rental shop will be open from the first day of the season. Check it out as they have some great gear for hire this winter.

http://www.polairestar.com/

Hope that all helps with your planning. Have a fun week and see you at some of the events I hope!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 13-12-14 23:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
We're off the mountain after opening day at Les Arcs. Only a few ski lifts were open and only some of the arc 2000 bowl open. Very limited skiing but not overly busy. Conditions were pretty hard packed but good fun. Around 130 the winds got really high and Arcabulle shut down. We skied down and after a vin chaud we skied back and called it a day. Not sure how it will be tomorrow, it looked like lots of the surface snow was getting blown off to just leave boiler plate. The whole area is just crying out for a huge dump, it's actually a little sad to see it.

Still, we had a nice day and the cheaper lift pass was a decent touch.
latest report
Just got home, thanks to everyone for the Birthday wishes today. Much appreciated. Thanks to those I skied with today, it was a fun day and some nice beers to finish. Pleased I came home now rather than not be able to ski tomorrow. I know, what a wimp!! Guess I am getting old!!

Our day on the snow:
Despite the conditions, a group of us met up and had a good ski using the Arcabille and Marmotte lifts until the higher one closed due to high winds. The slopes were not to busy and we even managed some nice side routes away from the pistes without hitting any rocks.

The piste was very quiet first thing in the morning and quite hard packed. But as it warmed up the surface layer started to change and became very skiable. On piste I did not hit any stones all day which was quite a surprise as I had expected the worst. They had done a very good job of compacting the snow. Overall, although only the main blue piste down from the top of the Arcabulle was open, it did not get that busy and the lift queue back up was never more than a few minutes.

For me the best skiing of the day was when we went down the central ridge of the bowl and dropped into what is the race course area when pisted and further to the left where they build the sledge run. The snow was light and chalky, fun to ski once the harder top layer had softened up. After three runs, the whole area was well tacked so we switched to the central area and found more nice snow considering the conditions.

Finding soft snow and avoiding hitting the rocks was also a real surprise and showed that although not that great, you could still have some fun. Basically the whole of the main central area of the Arc 2000 bowl was skiable from the top of the Transarc down to the bottom of the Marmottes Chair.

It was a pity the higher lift had to close due to high winds, but then maybe for a first day that was enough.

I will post the photos shortly in a new December 2014 Album now that the season has started over on my facebook page.

Tomorrow looks Ok so anyone wanting to join us, we will be leaving from the top of the Transarc/Arcabulle at 10.30 am. We will be standing somewhere in front of the Pisteur Hut, but please do not be late as we will head off at 10.30am. Anyone is welcome as we will not be doing anything very hard.

Hope to see some of you for a ski tomorrow.
snow report
I have now posted the photos for the first day of the season over on my facebook page. take a look what the snow look's like today and follow the December 2014 Album as some fresh snow arrives later in the coming week.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.763987427011059.1073741842.195692797173861&type=3

Tomorrow looks Ok so anyone wanting to join us, we will be leaving from the top of the Transarc/Arcabulle at 10.30 am. We will be standing somewhere in front of the Pisteur Hut, but please do not be late as we will head off at 10.30am. Anyone is welcome as we will not be doing anything very hard.

Here are a couple of today's photos. The snow was not as bad as it sounds when reading the reports.

(A little off piste, well not really off piste, this is one of the protected areas beside the race course when pisted, so no need to carry safety gear, but a helmet in these conditions is a good idea.)

(At the side of the red piste when it is bashed. The Blue piste to the right below going down to Arc 2000 and Arc 1950.)

More photos in the Album see link above.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 18-12-14 0:38; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Great pics and thanks for the updates snowcrazy, eased my concerns a little as i arrive in Les Arcs on sat - hopefully get some more snow falling this week.
ski holidays
Been wandering around for two days and got to Peisey Tourist Office today. I can answer an earlier question I put in this thread re the Landry to Peisey/Vallandry navettes. The old system of two different services (one free, one paid for) is being merged into one paid for service this season.

Cost will be 8€ each trip, or free with lift pass. Times from Landry will be 8:05, 8:30, 10:00, 12:45, 17:15. Did not get the return times. The guy in the Tourist Office was preparing the details as I was there, and said the final details will be on the Peisey/Vallandry website later this week. Check the website for confirmed times and price.

He also confirmed the free skibus to link Peisey/Vallandry with Arc1800 using the Route de Barmont as mentioned in an earlier post. Frequency will only be 2-3 per day, although check that out on the website in case that changes. Also referring to earlier comments in this thread the Route de Barmont has a big sign up - for authorised vehicles only - 165€ fine if caught.

Thanks for all the skiing reports in this thread.
ski holidays
@AndrewsPeppers, thanks for the update re the bus to the valley. Very useful. Pleased to see they have confirmed what I posted earlier about the bus, but 2 -3 per day is a rubbish service. How will that ever work next week. I hope this changes quickly.

Update for today:
Despite the conditions. We had a good day today and found some really nice chalky snow to make firm turns on some steepish slopes. Everyone had a chance to pose for a photo, but it is late now so you will have to wait until tomorrow for me to post them. We skied all over the Arc 2000 bowl area trying to avoid the growing number of people out riding. Found some nice quiet places and still only had to queue a few times for the lifts.

Spent some time in the Mille 8 area in Arc 1800 and have more photos to share. Les Arcs have done well with this area, it now has two good beginner slopes plus two more coming down from the top of the Chantel chair. Well done Les Arcs. Good job. Now we just need more snow!

The NEW Water Centre above Arc 1800 will be open from this Monday and will be free to lift pass holders I am told (hope that is true). Look's like it is going to be a good fun place to hang out.

Sorry to bring bad news!
If the British Children's Races at New Year are to go ahead. Either they need loads of more snow. Right now there is NO snow on the race course OR they must move the races to the Mille 8 blue runs or under the Chantel blue runs above Arc 1800 and run them late in the day as the did last year as long as they can make more snow. Photo to come tomorrow.

ANYONE READING THIS UPDATE THAT IS IN LES ARCS.

'DO NOT' try to ski or snowboard down to Arc 1800 from Arc 2000 when the barrier is across the piste. They are using piste bashers and it is very dangerous. They were stopping people that did this today and taking away their SKI PASS! You have been warned!!
snow conditions
I really just had to share these two photos with you tonight. Others I will post tomorrow.

(14 Dec. I just had to post this tonight! Carving his turns down the off piste at the AGE of FIVE!! Yes really!! A star of the future maybe!)

14 Dec. And his minder today! Well done young lady, you did a great job!
(Putting something back into skiing after the help you have been given when young. To me this is what it is all about! A young snowhead helping out!)
latest report
Looks like a very light dusting of new snow overnight, but only above about 1900m. It needs to get colder before conditions can change.
snow report
Booked for new year in Peisey near the lift up to the Trans Arc. Hope it snows before Xmas otherwise I'd get better skiing staying at home.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monday update. No more snow - other than a light dusting - but they have opened lifts in 1600 & 1800, and the blue runs back down into 1800.

From 1600 you can get into the system up the Cachette lift, then ski to the Arpette lift for the blues down, or continue down into 1800. From 1800 the Transarc middle station is open for the blues back down.

Peisey/Valandry remains closed - the lower 100 metres or so is grass. I could not see the slopes into Grizzly to judge how likely that was to open this week.
snow conditions
More information on the Landry to Peisey/Vallandry buses. There is information on the website now, but it only mentions a Saturday service.

That does not make much sense as the free service from Bourg to Landry is a daily service. Keep checking the website as the post more information if anyone is interested.
snow conditions
deleted duplicate post

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 16-12-14 21:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:

ANYONE READING THIS UPDATE THAT IS IN LES ARCS.

'DO NOT' try to ski or snowboard down to Arc 1800 from Arc 2000 when the barrier is across the piste. They are using piste bashers and it is very dangerous. They were stopping people that did this today and taking away their SKI PASS! You have been warned!!

That **must** be illegal [taking away their SKI PASS], like a car park attendant taking your license - is that **really** true and what if you refused?
snow report
I don't see why. I imagine it's the same company and you agree when you buy a ticket to abide by their rules.
ski holidays
^^ But Judge and Jury on the spot... £700 season pass.?? yer 'avin' a laugh.

Edit.... Actually isn't the mountain free..? It's the lifts you are paying for...
ski holidays
@allanm, the commune passed a bylaw a few years ago which allows them to do this if you refuse to do as a pisteur tells you and put you self at risk. The rules say if a pisteur TELLS you not to go down a closed piste (not just a sign, but a person tells you) then you must obey him. If you refuse, he can take your pass away or have you escorted to the gendarmes (something like this). I do not remember the exact wording. Very reasonable if you ask me since if they are piste bashing and you get hit by the cable, you will die! Best just to do as they ask and avoid a problem. This is not the same as just skiing past a closed sign.

A busy day today. I went up early and met with the pisteurs and ADS people for updates on the snow conditions, lifts/pistes that are open and those that might be opening this week.

They are running a 'day by day' programme due to the current conditions. It is very hard for them to say in advance of the morning what will and will not be open. I think they are trying very hard to open as much as possible. More to follow as I get further info!

TODAY:
We started off meeting at the top of the Transarc again. Then made a fast ski down to the Bois de l'ours which had just opened and over onto the Arc 1800 and Arc 1600 side. Managed to find some real 'Powder' on the back of the Arpette ridge. Just a short section, but really fun. Getting there early gave us the chance to make some first tracks, another bonus.

Then down to the Arpette chair on the piste (off piste lower down is impossible and not safe, to many rocks) and back up again for a second try. By the time we had done this twice it was skied out.

They had just opened the Cachette chair and the piste down to Arc 1600 so of we went again. Really fun to have the whole piste JUST FOR US. Bet that does not happen again in the next few weeks.

Enjoyed the trip down so much we went all the way to the top of the Arpette chair and did it again. Then time to go for lunch in Arc 1600.

After lunch back up the Cachette and then Arpette chairs and down by another route. My advice, if they keep the Blue from the top of the Arpette chair down to the snowpark entrance open do not use it. Take the red (which they might open) instead. Fewer rocks I hope.

The SNOWPARK is CLOSED and will not be open for some time. IMO I do not think it will be open this holiday period unless we have a heavy snowfall.

After going back up the Arpette we headed over to the Transarc mid station. Best not to do this either. Far to many rocks. My advice, go down the blue Belevdere piste direct to Arc 1800, but mind out for small rocks on the piste.

We had look around the Mille 8 pistes on both sides and across to the Chantel piste before heading back up the Transarc and into the Arc 2000 bowl. The pistes in the new development were OK, but could do with more snow. They have not built the bumps, obstacles or the Luge yet. Not enough snow. But well done to Les Arcs for getting this open on time.

Back on the Arc 2000 side we managed to find some nice untracked snow down the middle ridge which was so nice we did it twice and finished at George's Wine Bar just as the evening was closing in and the lifts had already closed.

An excellent day considering the conditions and more to come tomorrow! Meeting as always at the top of the Transarc at 10.30am for anyone that wants to join us!

Take a look at the photos for today which I shall post shortly.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 16-12-14 1:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Oooh: out with the popcorn
It's only week 1, and allanm's already having a pop at snowcrazy on the Arcs thread. Yeah! Free entertainment! No expensive French beers necessary!

Who had Dec 15th in the sweepstake?
latest report
@Arctic Roll, I think allanm's question re. how can they do this is ok. I did not explain the details before. Now he knows the details that is the end of this conversation for me anyway so no time for popcorn. I am to busy having fun to discuss this again.

You and the kids will like the Mille 8 and the waterpark. Both are very good and OPEN on time. Amazing!! NOW WE JUST NEED MORE SNOW Toofy Grin Very Happy Smile Skullie
snow report
Another bit of a dusting overnight, perhaps 2-3cm at 1800m. Snowline slightly lower than yesterday's during, down to about 1600m I'd guess.
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
@Arctic Roll, I think allanm's question re. how can they do this is ok. I did not explain the details before. Now he knows the details that is the end of this conversation for me anyway so no time for popcorn. I am to busy having fun to discuss this again.

Thanks for the explanation snowcrazy - yes I can see them 'marching you off to the gendarmes' in that situation.

The entertainments committee Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi,

I think this is my first post on snowheads, though I've been lurking for some time. I just wanted to thank the contributors to this thread - especially snowcrazy - as I am travelling to Les Arcs (1800) on Saturday and I'm very upset about the poor snow. I had to curtail one trip back in Feb and cancel another in March so I was pinning my hopes on this week being a good one. It doesn't look like it's going to be a week of dawn till dusk adventuring, but it sounds like there is skiing (or in my case, boarding) to be had.

I’ve been looking at this page: http://www.lesarcsnet.com/lifts-status. Is it accurate? I don’t know my way around this resort, but there are many more lifts open then there are runs. In fact it seems that there are open lifts which take you to a summit with no open runs. Really? Are the ‘closed’ pistes accessible or is it just too dangerous (e.g. because of rocks or piste bashers)?

A few thoughts have crossed my mind:

- If the pistes are closed and I fancy pushing myself, is it possible to actually hike up to the top and ride down, or is it too dangerous (see above)?
- Is there anywhere to hire a car in Les Arcs if I fancy an excursion to another resort? I suppose the problem is across the entire region, so is somewhere like Tignes / Val d’Isere going to be better?
- If the snow conditions aren’t that good then maybe I might use next week as an opportunity to have a few days of ski lessons Smile

Interested to hear what people make of this 
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy