Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotest training

Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, I suck at GS and I am oldish, the two may or may not be related
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
You chaps display more coyness than women about your ages!

You can generally tell someone's age from their hand position. Forward & close together indicates years of training with a Zimmer frame wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimottaret, as you know I was at some of the same Eurotest raining, though obviously not Eurotest training.
I'd rather not name names but the trainer I was with for the second week had a strong opinion that far too much time was being spent in the gates and that a lot or race time could be gained by most participants if they were concentrating on technical elements and then went back to gates after that.
I'm sure that you can figure out who
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm doing some targeting cycle fitness training now, the trainer believes light exercise on rest days and especially the day before an event can sometimes be more beneficial than doing nothing.

I'd also recommend some foam rollering as well to ease the legs as well as the massage.

That is a cracking first "season" of ETing @Touchguru, to get so close, congrats!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:

That is a cracking first "season" of ETing @Touchguru, to get so close, congrats!

Thanks kitenski ! Really great learning experience in my first season of training and racing and with a bit of luck (which you always need) I hopefully will be able to get it next season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp wrote:
@skimottaret, as you know I was at some of the same Eurotest raining, though obviously not Eurotest training.
I'd rather not name names but the trainer I was with for the second week had a strong opinion that far too much time was being spent in the gates and that a lot or race time could be gained by most participants if they were concentrating on technical elements and then went back to gates after that.

Without seeing the participants ski, I would hazard a guess that the said instructor was right. It's a fairly general problem within the world of alpine skiing that far too many parents/coaches/athletes think that the only way to train for ski racing is to run race courses. But when you put this into the context of other sports, it's nonsense. Boxers do a lot more than sparring. Footballers do a lot more than practice matches, and so on.

M
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:

+1 very promising results, won't take you long at that rate!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
I'm pretty old and age does have an influence have a look at http://pleva.net/resources/Eurotest-Age-Allowance-27Mar2015.pdf Just will take longer to get to the standard but it is doable

You once said the oldest person ever to have passed was 46 and an ex racer. Any update on that?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, nope as far as I know the oldest (Brit) is still 46. One guy over forty got it this year and I think that takes the total to 4 Brit 40 somethings to have passed it...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, your paper is very interesting but again I can't see the French going for it. They don't want elderly instructors, although the "Papi Moniteurs" have just won their case against the ESF on final appeal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, The French might not but there are 27 other members states who all have a vote Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
They don't want elderly instructors, although the "Papi Moniteurs" have just won their case against the ESF on final appeal.

Do you have a link?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
balernoStu wrote:
kitenski wrote:

+1 very promising results, won't take you long at that rate!

Thanks balernoStu, I have plenty more work to do to get consistently good times but there has been definite progress this season. Hope to see you at some of the summer training and getting the pass soon too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All, Have been working with New Gen on developing some basic ski fitness tests. They are having their L3 and L4 trainees do these tests and we at IOS will be collecting data and determining averages for genders, ages etc.

If you would like to participate in the trial please have a look at http://www.insideoutskiing.com/fitness.php and have a crack at some or all of the tests.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Speak to Duncan Barton..he did it.
snow conditions
I know Duncan did a BASI course with him a couple years ago, what did he do? the New Gen fitness tests recently?
latest report
@skimottaret, I know Duncan as well. I think@at0mic was referring to one of your posts above, Duncan passed his ET and he's over 40.
snow report
@sarah, ahh gotchya, He raced for Scotland back in the day if i remember right.
latest report
@skimottaret, sounds about right snowHead
snow report
A question I am new here where is the best place to get technique ski training can any one help advise me?

Thanks
latest report
@Obergurgl123, A bit more info would be helpful if you want specific recommendations: Where are you? How old are you? What is your current level of skiing? Do you already have any instructor qualifications? Any racing experience?

But generally speaking, join your local ski race club and work with the coaches there to learn to go fast. But be warned: you will thrashed by a 12-year-old. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I followed the link from the thread that will not die to here. I haven't read it all, but this popped out at me -

hyperkub wrote:
rungsp wrote:

Without seeing the participants ski, I would hazard a guess that the said instructor was right. It's a fairly general problem within the world of alpine skiing that far too many parents/coaches/athletes think that the only way to train for ski racing is to run race courses. But when you put this into the context of other sports, it's nonsense. Boxers do a lot more than sparring. Footballers do a lot more than practice matches, and so on.

M

I think it's the level of competitor that has this problem, rather than skiers in general - high level skiers don't just bash gates, while low level footballers only want to play matches. Showjumping is my sport, and lower level riders always want coaching sessions to be round courses, whereas higher level riders will quite happily go through session after session without their feet (well, hooves) leaving the ground.
snow report
Have been working on my ISTD paper which is on improvements to the Eurotest and was hoping to gather some information from those who are training for the ET or have taken it.

I have done a Draft survey and I would appreciate people having a look at the questions and answers before going "live" with this. I want to get some input before finalising it so any submissions on the draft form will only be used for testing and not be used for the final stats.

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/eurotestsurvey.php
snow report
@skimottaret, email address is optional but I could not submit survey without email address.
latest report
@stewart woodward, thanks have fixed that... what did you think of the questions? anything to add
snow report
around 20 or so entries today so far mainly from those who have passed the ET. I would be keen to get input from those just starting out as well Smile
ski holidays
bump, if anyone training for the ET could take the time to do the above survey I would be grateful. (a few SH's have already many thanks)
snow conditions
I am hearing good things about @jimmer today Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Scott! Yeah passed yesterday, it was some of the hardest snow I've ever skied, I actually fell in inspection it was that slick. I was a little over second out on the first run but managed to get my head in the game on the second and was a second inside. A little bittersweet as no-one else I was training with got it but stoked all the same.
ski holidays
@jimmer, congrats! Awesome work.
latest report
@jimmer, congrats!!
snow conditions
@jimmer, Very well done. Good work. A second inside sounds immense.
snow report
@jimmer, congratulations! Very Happy
snow report
Great stuff @jimmer - didn't see your run, but heard you were killing it on the bottom section! Well done!
ski holidays
Thanks guys Smile

Does anyone know if they post the results anywhere?
snow report
chatting to Craig today he recons toughest test he has ever opened. Well done getting under by such a large margin in such tough conditions. As far as I know they dont post results other than the white board at the bottom. Did you get your pass certificate? In France they normally hand them out after the results when you hand your bib in.
latest report
@jimmer,

Congrats snowHead
snow report
@jimmer, fantastic. You must be delighted, especially with such a tough competition. snowHead
latest report
@jimmer, congratulations!
snow report
@jimmer, after skiing so well all week I'm so glad you got the correct result on the day. Well done, mate wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy