Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotest training

Poster: A snowHead
At the suggestion of skimotteret, here's a new thread for those of us who are training for the Eurotest this year.

I will be training with JJC in Saas Fee in November. Will probably do 4 or 5 weeks, there's a bit of a clash with a common theory course that I might do, so not certain yet. I am taking a lot of the season off to really knuckle down at it.

How many people on here have taken it before? Passed? Got close?

For those who have passed, what tactics/programs have you found useful?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing to contribute personally, needless to say, but will follow this with interest. In Tignes last autumn I rode a T-bar with a Chamonix mountain guide who was training for the Eurotest. He didn't think he'd be ready in the 2013/14 season. He said he was much more scared of gates than of the off piste hazards around Mont Blanc. Brought it home to me what a big gap there is between the various branches of skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
see you in November Smile Trained with JJC last year and 6 of our group of 30 ish passed over the season plus a couple got the ISIA test. Most of those who passed had trained several camps and typically had over 10 attempts. Fitness is important to get the most out of training and all who passed were the fitttest in the camp...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Brought it home to me what a big gap there is between the various branches of skiing

I agree with Pam on this. I remember talking to a couple of full time french ski instructors about the eurotest. One, who race skied as a kid, said it was easy and about the level of a junior racer. He passed first time. The other, who's more of a freestyle skier, said it was really hard and took him three goes to pass.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

Brought it home to me what a big gap there is between the various branches of skiing

I agree with Pam on this. I remember talking to a couple of full time french ski instructors about the eurotest. One, who race skied as a kid, said it was easy and about the level of a junior racer. He passed first time. The other, who's more of a freestyle skier, said it was really hard and took him three goes to pass.

This IS the issue.

I sailed at a very high level when I was younger and so I'd expect I would still be somewhere around 10% slower than the current crop of champs(with a bit of time to get arms working again); well within the Eurotest cut-off; but for someone who has not raced at the level I did it would take years to gain the technical knowledge of how to set the boats up; how to sail and the long-term skills I gained over many years sailing at the level.

[/b]
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scooby_simon wrote:
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

This IS the issue.

I sailed at a very high level when I was younger and so I'd expect I would still be somewhere around 10% slower than the current crop of champs(with a bit of time to get arms working again); well within the Eurotest cut-off; but for someone who has not raced at the level I did it would take years to gain the technical knowledge of how to set the boats up; how to sail and the long-term skills I gained over many years sailing at the level.

[/b]

It's a pretty good analogy, and definitely my strengths lie in jumping off stuff off piste (2nd ranked Brit, 274 on the FWQ), but I do ski a ton, so I'm hoping some skills are transferable. That said, I would be very stoked to get in done in 3 attempts like the French freestyler.

Fitness wise I ski every day and gym 4 days a week, so whilst I am not in amazing shape, I am getting there.

Here's some video of my skiing on SL skis

http://vimeo.com/m/104356431

And on powder skis

http://vimeo.com/m/73178560
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I recon you will pass your L4 Variables strand without much trouble Toofy Grin

SL skiing looks very tidy, On the SL turns you use a quick cross under transition and light release phase which is ideal for the task but be good to see some tape of GS size turns if you have any. You get hung up on the inside ski sometimes and this could cause some issues in steeper rutted GS courses.. Looking good though man !!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers, weather is stormy at the moment, but will try and get some GS footage soon. My GS skis (27m) kind of kick my ass in the course, so I am going to try and find some turnier ones for saas fee.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most of the guys were on 23 or 25's not too many on 27's. By memory most of the passes were on 21 or 23 and unless you have raced GS before I think the turnier the better, I had 27 ex WC skis my first time trying GS and binned em after first day as thought I was going to die in the course... Don't worry about wax too much but make sure you have tuning gear, quite icy there.. Lots of people start off on their tech skis and move over but if it isnt too rutted going straight into full blown GS boards only takes a couple days to get comfortable with. Sass is reasonably steep, footage of the start and onto flat section here...

https://vimeo.com/80671246
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimmer, Do you really want MA on the SL turns ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jimmer, people who can ski like you do just impress the hell out of me. The second skier I referred to was Flo Jauffred who seems to be ranked number 58 in the FWQ (I had no idea he was ranked anywhere until I just looked.) He's also one of the nicest guys I know.

You can see some of his skiing here: http://www.zapiks.com/flo-jauffred-2012.html

Mike.

PS. I'm assuming I have the right guy in the FWQ rankings. Oddly they only have one F in his name instead of two but I know he competes and the guy with just one F doesn't seem to exist outside of the FWQ.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, I put it online for just one person initially, then shared it with jjcjames, but if you want to give some input, go for it.

Does anyone else training for the ET have any video?

olderscot, cheers! Yeah that guy shreds, maybe i'll see him around as I'll hopefully do some more comps this year, as long as training for the ET doesn't bankrupt me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jimmer wrote:

A snoworks Eurotest video

http://youtube.com/v/qK3USnN-XVY&feature=youtu.be

A couple of different 'styles' in the video but it does show the commitment required to pass.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 13-10-14 11:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://vimeo.com/66922362
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not a lot to add apart from wishing good luck to anyone training for their ET, massive respect!
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
jimmer wrote:

A snoworks Eurotest video

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf

A couple of different 'styles' in the video but it does show the commitment required to pass.

That link just takes me to the facebook homepage??
snow conditions
Sorry rolling eyes

http://youtube.com/v/qK3USnN-XVY&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
Cheers for the videos guys, nice to see what the different levels are. I am just enjoying a break on the beach, but looking forward to crushing some gates soon
latest report
kitenski wrote:
not a lot to add apart from wishing good luck to anyone training for their ET, massive respect!

You plan on trying gs sometime?
ski holidays
balernoStu wrote:
kitenski wrote:

You plan on trying gs sometime?

No Smile I know my limits on time, skills and wallet!!
snow report
kitenski, so true on the time and wallet! Away from the stress of an actual ET you may actually enjoy the training.
ski holidays
Noted a point about the ski sidecut above...
Turnier skis certainly make you feel like you're in control more but don't be fooled! If you want to go fast, you've probably got to turn a little bit less and push a little bit closer to your limits.
I've seen analysis from ski tests by the Austrian team where a bigger sidecut was significantly slower. Where snow conditions encouraged the ski to grip more (generally softer snow), a big sidecut slows you down more - the ski keeps turning instead of 'letting go'.

The ET just messes with your head. Gotta find the limits and then see how much you can stretch them! Big straight skis and big kahunas (or kahoonas?)
latest report
kitenski wrote:
[nothing] ... to add apart from wishing good luck to anyone training for their ET, massive respect!
+1 Especially to those who might not be in their first flush of youth.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
kitenski wrote:
[nothing] ... to add apart from wishing good luck to anyone training for their ET, massive respect!
+1 Especially to those who might not be in their first flush of youth.

I'm 30, does that include me!?
snow report
herminator wrote:
Noted a point about the ski sidecut above...
Turnier skis certainly make you feel like you're in control more but don't be fooled! If you want to go fast, you've probably got to turn a little bit less and push a little bit closer to your limits.
I've seen analysis from ski tests by the Austrian team where a bigger sidecut was significantly slower. Where snow conditions encouraged the ski to grip more (generally softer snow), a big sidecut slows you down more - the ski keeps turning instead of 'letting go'.

The ET just messes with your head. Gotta find the limits and then see how much you can stretch them! Big straight skis and big kahunas (or kahoonas?)

Well the 23m skis I ordered will be delayed, so will be starting out on 27m 190s, will see which pair I ski faster.
snow conditions
jimmer, no, doesn't include you! But very good luck anyway.
snow conditions
Jimmer Did you order Rossi Masters? I am in the same boat if so.. The 27's will be cool as long as they aren't toooo stiff or numbered jobbies
ski holidays
please post some video of the November training folk Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, the video above I posted was from Sass Fee last Nov... Note the grey tone, we were in shade for 4 weeks and it was fecking cold.
snow conditions
It has been the worst I have ever been prepared for a ski season as I have been trying to overcome countless injuries, but I am heading to Zermatt at the beginning of November for 2 weeks of training and then Stubai for 4 weeks of race specific training before the ADH Eurotest in mid December.

Going to hopefully enjoy the ride and learn lots! Smile
ski holidays
Touchguru,
Quote:

trying to overcome countless injuries

What have you been doing to yourself? Shocked Hope all OK now, lots of luck with the training.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
please post some video of the November training folk Smile

Here's a video from January 2013:

http://youtube.com/v/30y2pio1BX8

Will Haines passed in Pila, 2013 & Merlin Gallery passed in 2014.
latest report
and how many weeks training did Merlin do Wink How many cracks at the ET did it take him ?
snow report
There are some recent videos on the Podium website too.
latest report
Podium early Dec in Tignes for me then down to AdH if, and only if, performance is well ahead of where I was last November. Technically moved on from last season but physical recovery rate and getting comfortable skiing at the required speed again are likely to be issues. In fact I've come to the conclusion that I never actually get fitter or stronger between ski trips, and the amount of training I get in just slows the rate of decline!
snow report
Thanks Stewart. I notice both of them occasionally throw in a small skid/check, is that at a predetermined gate/place on the course to scrub speed or is it just "as necessary"?
ski holidays
kitenski a tactical move to avoid skidding below gate and scrubbing speed which I tried to explain in a blog here http://www.insideoutskiing.com/news_files/gs_training_with_graham_bell.html
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Jimmer Did you order Rossi Masters? I am in the same boat if so.. The 27's will be cool as long as they aren't toooo stiff or numbered jobbies

Yup, waiting on the Rossis, how are you going to get yours to Saas? My 27s are full WC racestock and stiff as hell! Will.just have to deal with it though.
ski holidays
balernoStu wrote:
Podium early Dec in Tignes for me then down to AdH if, and only if, performance is well ahead of where I was last November. Technically moved on from last season but physical recovery rate and getting comfortable skiing at the required speed again are likely to be issues. In fact I've come to the conclusion that I never actually get fitter or stronger between ski trips, and the amount of training I get in just slows the rate of decline!

Everyone I know who has passed a ET has either

1) ski raced to high level as a kid and then passed in their 20s.
or
2) been doing seasons full-time and able to train for on snow for an extended period of time (i.e 1->4months)

Exceptions to the above will be few and far between.
I would like to think the ET is achievable - even for those in their 30s and 40s.
However to pass requires lots of time (and time = money).

SkiMottaret : nice video showing the levels.
snow report
skimottaret, thanks, when you decide when/where to do that? On pre-course inspection or when your at mach 9 coming towards the next set of gates and thinking "oh sh*t"???
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy