Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2013/2014 -webcams and reports

Poster: A snowHead
Two friends arrived late last night and have now gone up the hill to ski their super dooper new skis etc - viz is coming and going with sunshine and low cloud so a bit of a lottery as to what you'll get if going out, but some of the pistes are in great condition bearing in mind how bad it was only three to four days ago.

Still not sure as to why some of the higher sectors are not open and links, is it a security issue or are they keeping the snow for the main holiday period??

Or like I said previously with the big dump forecast on Xmas day etc then let this snow be the base that wasn't there previously and then the dump will bond to that really well, making it safer for the coming season?

Temps feel far more mild than the 6 degrees on my thermometer here!

There's a guide mate (Mathieu Maynadier), who is the son of the guy we bought our apartment from coming round for a drink tomorrow night so I'll find out more, but what's going through our minds is let the dump settle down and maybe go and do some stuff Sat or Sun or into next week, see what he says, and what the Snow Gods deliver rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really wish I was there now but may be better for waiting!. A return to Serre Che after over 32 years. And conditions improving. Sweet!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, according to lady at ski pass office, top of Monetier was closed due to strong winds which seemed a little strange as it was so still at the bottom
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
21:20 friends have just arrived, snowing heavily over the Col and down to 1650m, laying on the road, Phil, who had done nigh on ten seasons of transfer driving reckons another hour and would have been three inches on the road - fairly heavy rain here at the moment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw some snow forecasted earlier in the week. Bit extra up top won't go a miss!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Let's hope the models are slightly out as each hour goes by the temperature rises and the dump gets smaller. Should be good higher up though. Feel free to refute my glass half empty.............
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hope your glass fills over Christmas, but I'm not convinced that the village will be white. Should be a good dump up top though. The 'ensembles' shop freezing level at around 1800-1900m, but snow line may be a 100 or so lower, then dropping quite quickly as the storm gets underway and more to come nearer new year,two possibilities one around 29th and one on NYD FL around resort level this time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Messed up today and early bird does not always get the worm.......

Went for First Lifts and checked what was open etc, seemed to be a similar picture to yesterday and once up there we could see various sectors closed, so we headed over to Briancon, there was only one drag to get back and that stopped working so we did a few descents over there, playing in the trees and put a hole in my ski and nearly blew the edge, when I took my skis off to get the gondola back up, my brake came off, so tried to fix it and took the other one off to see how it's put together but could not work it out, so skied back minus brakes and when we came back drag queue was horrendously busy.

Then on the way back to here saw that they had opened Vallons up and a lot more looking at what's open on the Serre site now, gutted Sad

Never mind there will be other days Toofy Grin

Hope everyone else on here who is out here has scored a good day / session.

Skis now being repaired, and the shop guys were very impressed with my Resqski finders (see link below) and want to order some for their shop(Riquet).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went up today but while the pistes that were open were well groomed, there was little enough actually open. Vallons, Clot Gauthier both closed. The two big reds off the Prorel (Aiguillette and Eduits) both closed. Only the Draye open in that area. Overall disappointing. Not the fault of the resort - just poor snow.

Lots of stones too....not good for the skis. We went on the off piste section at the top of the Grande Serre (Mur de l'Enfer?) and it was nice except for the boulders!! Impossible to avoid not matter how careful you tried.

Think we'll give it a miss tomorrow. Get out the snow shoes or the skins but don't fancy a repeat of today.

More snow due to arrive tomorrow and Wed. Let's hope it does arrive.

Sorry to hear about the skis Gav, that's our worry...you pay to ski and then end up paying to repair the skis. Don't much fancy that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have they built up any snow parks in Serre Che yet?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RetroBod, the park above Arravet mid station was not open, but hopefully with the new snow they'll get that going soon!

Not bothering going up today, very windy here in the valley, bonkers up top I'd imagine, though all shut!

And in this season's Altus Magazine there is a feature and a whole load of photos of Serre Chevalier airport, ironic or what rolling eyes

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
18:00 just back from a trip up to Nevache and heavy snow as we left at 17:00 - reckon snowline is 1500m
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
. We went up this morning, Eychauda chairlft was open, but visibaility and wind so bad it really shouldn't have been, but I was the sensible one who didn't go. They couldn't see if Cucumelle lift was open, so skied to bottom and got the bus along to Casse du Beouf as that is what I had already done. Bit of a ski about in blowing and falling snow, lunch then back on the bus, Windy here, but can't see much snow falling at 1500,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been raining steadily since my last post Crying or Very sad

Did a walkabout last night visiting various bars and was damn windy but that seems to have eased.

Be interesting to see where the snow starts on the drive up over Col du Montgenevre.

Have a great day what ever you end up doing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Happy Christmas Day All.

Snow, sleet, rain all morning here in Briancon. No evidence of anything overnight. Visibility poor but the Prorel looks whiter. It will need to continue the rest of the day and more to make up for the lack of snow to date.

Up in Montgenevre for a walk yesterday...about the same amount of snow as Serre Chevalier. Visibility poor so couldn't assess the higher slopes. We live in hope and the days slip by Sad
ski holidays
Looked what my mates got up to whilst I was stuck doing Xmas Day bollox Evil or Very Mad

Though unfortunately the guys Mum got taken out on the piste and was piggy backed down to the gondola as she refused to go down in a blood wagon, knee currently being iced Sad

latest report
Quote:

she refused to go down in a blood wagon

rolling eyes one of my friends did that, and walked a long way down with his skis - very stupid, and made his knee a lot worse than it would have been if he'd been sledged down.
ski holidays
CPU,s callings for more snow today......any eyes in the sky to corroborate actual synopsis?
latest report
Snow fallen overnight down to village level. Still falling higher up but less heavy.
Very Happy
ski holidays
Back in Serre after mornings drive, snow fall far heavier on the other side of Col du Montgenevre, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised when we go up in half an hour when most are down for lunch.

On the Cam you'll now see a wooden pole that measures 60cm
http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow report
How windy was that!

Vallons was open and there were signs warning of high winds and they were not exaggerating, gusts were well in excess of 70km I reckon, was most surprised it was actually open!

Viz at the top was severely limited so could not venture off piste too much until a bit further down, and then traverses and a few decent lines charging down through the trees.

Mate's Mum's knee is very bad*, that's her skiing for this trip finished (and they still have ten days to go), have advised her to go to the Medical Centre and see if they can arrange and emergency MRI in Gap even with the swelling, just that if she can get one (which only costs €60) done here that will help her jump the NHS queue once back in the UK.

*taken out by a kid with a ski instructor!
latest report
Weathercam, how was the snow?
latest report
Weathercam, doors rattling in the wind now. Was thinking of going out for dinner, but might just stay put.
snow report
RetroBod, skill was to second guess where the wind might have dumped it to. Piste down to resort quite icy due to all the traffic.

Off walking the dogs to The Grotte as a bands playing for Apres.

Might well be going to Italy tomorrow with Mathieu a guide I know who has just texted me, he was suggesting either LG or Italy and I responded having been over there yesterday and today Italy has way more snow.

Could be very shattered this time tomorrow as I'm by far the weak link as my other two mates are excellent, but I might suggest that we come back mid afternoon here and do a couple of things over here with the "girls" wink
latest report
Due out Sunday can't wait!
ski holidays
What's going on? Seems to be snowing everywhere in the alps except Serre Che!!
snow report
And not just the guys that shred......

Tracy doing her stuff

Meeting Mathieu the guide at Macdonalds at 08:00 - Italy here we come, again!

snow report
The Dauphiné is reporting that a father and son were injured in a snow slide in the Cucumelle area this afternoon. Not seriously it seems. They were taken to the hospital in Briancon. Several other avalanches reported in other areas including at least one death. The avalanche risk seems to be 4 at present in many areas.

This morning the top half of the Prorel lift was closed and guessing it would be another one of those slightly frustrating days we took a nice snow shoe walk up to the fort at the Crois de Bretagne. No one else on the track. The top third was hard work in about 40cm of new snow. Good for the fitness I guess!!!

@RetroBod, don't fret, there is enough snow now with more expected on Saturday Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kevin Byrne wrote:

@RetroBod, don't fret, there is enough snow now with more expected on Saturday Very Happy

Thank you so much! I will sleep soundly now.......for the first time in 3 weeks. Well it's only 3 sleeps anyway I probably won't sleep for excitement!!
ski holidays
A beautiful day, with blue skys and fresh snow. Headed over to Cucumelle and Vallons this morning, then down to Casse du Beouf. Very busy, as it is the last day of the Christmas week and the first day some of the pistes had been open. Some nice moguls (!) forming in places, but all nice soft and fluffy. After lunch we headed back over to Monetier, as the Vallons lift was quiet, and skied Cibouit. Lots of avalanch cracks under the chairlift on what would usually be the black piste, and some idiots still trying to duck the netting and ski it, despite shouts from the pisteurs and lift staff telling them otherwise. Some really good conditions today. Avalanche risk of 4/5
snow report
Agreed Helen, some lovely conditions up there but sadly some monster queues! Was really busy especially with so many lifts and runs still not open. After the Prorel main lift only the 2 button lifts were open....meant everyone from Briancon had to bus it back down the valley...the lift back up to the Prorel from the bottom of the blue Myrtilles was closed. So effectively with the Aiguillette lift closed and the button lift to Petit Alpe also closed, practically all of the Briancon ski area was closed.

We skied up the valley finding various lifts/runs closed. When we got to Monetier we found the Yret closed and only one run from the Cibouit. So pretty poor all round and as I said, monster queues to boot.

Specially for RetroBod, the pistes are in good conditions but the off piste is really strange. Whole sides of some mountains have been stripped bare by the recent winds. Even slopes that had snow, now have none. And the avalanche risk really is frightening. Wind slab everywhere and lots of slides in evidence....again more in the Monetier area than Villeneuve or Chantmerle. It does look like the avalanche risk is going to be difficult to predict for the rest of the season.

Looks like there will be more snow tomorrow, hopefully not accompanied by high winds.

Tomorrow, our last day, we'll go skinning somewhere where the avalanche risk looks OK. Couldn't face another day of hoards on a limited number of pistes....most probably in poor visibility.
snow report
Just reading on the Dauphiné site about the death of a young snowboarder today apparently round the same area where the previous avalanche took place that injured a father and son yesterday. This is what is being said:

Une avalanche s’est produite ce vendredi vers 14 heures à proximité du domaine skiable deSerre Chevalier (Hautes Alpes), sur le secteur du Monêtier-les-Bains. Elle aurait eu lieu dans le secteur de la Cucumelle, où une première coulée a fait deux blessés hier. Le jeune snowboardeur âgé de 16 ans a été enseveli. Secouru par les hommes du PGHM de Briançon, il a été héliporté vers le centre hospitalier de Grenoble, où il est mort des suites de ses blessures.

Very sad indeed.
snow report
Kevin Byrne, very sad . We were on the Vallons chairlift around that time this afternoon, and the helicopter was coming over as we got home about 3.30. ut saw nothing, There was a pisteur with a Recco pack coming down the track from the top of the lift back to Monetier, but no sign of any search party. We have stuff to do tomorrow afternoon, but it may be a bit quieter as it is changeover day, so we will suck it and see I think. UNderstandably Jules is a wee bit nervous on crowded pistes, and with no real off-pieste to escape the crowds, we may head straight back down again. Our last day is Sunday before heading off on Monday morning.
snow report
We are used to crowds because we normally go at half term albeit in La Thuile last year we didn't queue once even at half term!
So what is the deal with the closed lifts? Avalanche danger or insufficient snow due to wind?
2 sleeps!!
snow report
RetroBod, probably both looking at the places that are affected.
ski holidays
NJ wrote:
Hi, arriving in Serre Chevalier on 29th. Now that there's some snow I'll need to hire skis Very Happy . Can anyone recommend a good ski hire shop who also provide overnight storage lockers at the Chantmerle base. Price is also a factor. Many thanks

Last season we used Outland - just a few yards from the bottom of the Bletonet lift. You can leave the skis in the shop at the end of the day and then pick them up again in the morning.

http://www.skisserrechevalier.com/
latest report
Guide we were with today had a text from his mate guiding in Serre today about the Cucumelle slide and there was also a big one on the Vallons in La Grave.

We ended up going up from Cesana and skiing both sides of Sauze, and Sestrierre where we spent most of the day.

Scored some great lines but all the time the guide was so mindful of the conditions, and this time it really rubbed off on me, don't think I've ever been quite so anxious.

Interesting in that he came across three or four other guides in the sector where we were.

Kevin you should Google him (our guide), Mathieu Maynadier, he's recognised as far more of a climber than a skier, though he grew up here and is highly respected.

And a pic from today, will upload some more tomorrow.

We're probably going out again next Mon or Tues with him depending on forecast, but might be touring to avoid the hordes!

snow report
Snowing hard now, in typical changeover day fashion. Been down to Briancon and the roads had deteriorated quite a bit in the hour or so we were down there. Chains needed for the Lauteret I think. Last day tomorrow.
latest report
Mate coming over from Turin, in his words "total chaos" in Cesana, where he was putting his chains on, does have snow tyres but rear wheel drive - he's just rung from Montgenevre thinks he'll only be half an hour, tad naive maybe as he'll probably hit the traffic that's come round from Gap to Briancon and heading up the valley.

Snow was very heavy an hour or so ago but has eased back - you can see it on the garden cam with wine bottle as a snow depth measurer.

I've never ever done New Years week or any other high season week here, and I've never seen the place so busy and with so many chalets and apartments occupied, might just go walkies and stay away from the hordes and do first lifts then again at lunch time!

Went to the super market first thing this morning as yesterday when we dropped the guide off in Briancon circa 17:30 it was nigh on grid lock.

Have put more photos up of our trip yesterday and a more detailed blog/report
snow conditions
Quote:

I've never ever done New Years week or any other high season week here, and I've never seen the place so busy

I did my last downhill skiing for a week, today - and I've not done much the last week - I don't do lift queues. Doing an intermediate XC course next week, keep away from the hordes. Starting 0915 each morning, so will provide a bit of structure to a week I might otherwise tend to waste in idleness.

I would not normally drive on a Saturday, let alone a snowy one, but just had to do a trip down to Beaufort - fortunately it was pouring with rain on the way down and only turned to snow half way back up the hill. Very heavy. It's a small, winding, road and I had to find my way round 4 cars stopped in the carriageway putting chains on - my snow tyres were OK, but only just, in places. Had to drive very gently in second gear and hope nobody forced me to stop on a steep bend. Still snowing quite heavily and quite a bit has fallen already. Wet stuff, will be good on the pistes.

I find the best timing in busy weeks is to start with first lift, have a lunch/snack stop about 11.30, ski through the lunch hour and give it up for the day when they all pile out of the restaurants for the afternoon ski lessons - at 2.30, here. Need to get your lift home, if necessary, before that rush.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy