Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2013/2014 -webcams and reports

Poster: A snowHead
Well, although I've been watching them for weeks, there hasn't been a huge amount to report, some small falls of snow, but nothing major. However, things are looking good this morning.

http://serrechevalier.livecam360.net/cucumelle
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
long may it continue though 4 months nearly before I get there Sad Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dan100, just over 4 weeks until our first visit. Very Happy . Then mid-March.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi

i am going to Serre Chevalier in Feb from Paris,

i am meeting up with a group from the uk who arrive in chamberey at 9:30 so all things being equal what approx time would they get to Serre Chevalier ?

i was thinking of flying to turin and then finding my way from there any advice ?

or would you take the train from Paris, and again, night or day ?

any reccomendations at all would be welcome

rjmm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjmm, how are they travelling from Chambery? I'd say you are looking at a 12.30 arrival providing the weather is good. For you coming from Paris, it would be more convenient to get the TGV to Oulx (Paris-Milan) if you want to travel by day, then bus service to SC. Overnight to Briancon from Gare d'Austerlitz is another option.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells,

thanks for getting in touch

they are flying from Newcastle 06:15 flight

i was looking at cdg - turin air france but then i was unsure how to get to SC from there

is there a train from paris - briancon during the day 7am ish

and have you done the overnighter ? wondering if i would be bushed on arrival ?

thanks again i will pop off to the train website and check myself, just if you know without looking that would be great

closer to the date hope i can pick your brains regarding restaurants ?

thanks again !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When in Feb are you going as there are some Saturday transfers via a free shuttle bus from Modane which is on the TGV line from Paris? I think it is only running in peak holiday weeks though.
To get to Briancon itself by train during the day will be a long journey, and you will need to change trains. QUickest day time route is the option above with a train to Oulx, then bus or taxi. You'll have to check train times on the SNCF site, I'm not familiar with the changes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hopefully will be in situ in Serre December 16th for the season, along with three Jack Russels Puzzled

I'll be doing a daily weather blog in much the same way as I've been doing here for the past fifteen or so years!

Plus should have a live streaming cam, though getting it to work over there will no doubt have me pulling my hair out.

This is roughly our location up the hill opposite the swimming pool and Sporting Hotel, and did you know the whole area around the Sporting Hotel, Jardin des Neige apartments and the Ice Racing circuit used to be the airport for Serre Chevalier right up to the late 70's!

Have quite a bit planned already for the season with various groups coming out and the like, just hope my body holds out rolling eyes

This summer had a few friends who came to us by way of flying to Marseilles and getting the train to Briancon, that worked and could be another option for the winter (which means selfishly I don't have to drive to Turin / Grenoble etc), and I've also heard good reports about Paris / Oulx too though one of my neighbours this summer had a real nightmare, though he did later admit he took the wrong train Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rjmm there is a transfer company that does share transfers. Don't have details to hand. It's not cheap. I think it is 125 pp roughly for a return.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
dan100, just over 4 weeks until our first visit. Very Happy . Then mid-March.
that's when we are there. Staying in chantlemerle.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dan100, must meet up for a beer or two.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chantmerle from Dec 29th for us can't wait. Haven't been to Serre Che for 30 years!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chantmerle from Dec 29th for us can't wait. Haven't been to Serre Che for 30 years!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells,

Feb 22nd that would be a great option i shall go and have a look

thanks dan100 i will look at that also
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Serre Chevalier FaceBook page is surprisingly well updated with photos and news nowadays, surely shom mistak Smile

https://www.facebook.com/serre.chevalier.vallee
ski holidays
Weathercam, they've been updating it regularly for some time now.
snow report
But it is in bloody Frog. I can read it but millions can't.

I know you can try to translate it but that is naff.
ski holidays
Hi again

just a little more info please, is it normal for the transfers from Chamberey to come through Oulx on route to SC ? or would they go via Grenoble, the quicker route looks like via Oulx, i was thinking of hooking up with their bus if and when they were to pass through, as the railway station looks pretty close to the route offered by google maps which uses SS355 to get onto the sratda statle 24 and then on to SC, would this be the usual route ?

Thanks

rjmm
ski holidays
rjmm, it is possible that they will go via Grenoble and the Col du Lauteret to avoid the toll at the Tunnel de Frejus.

Juddernaut, there is an English version, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serre-Chevalier-Vallee-Ski-Resort-UK-official/278758462135854?fref=ts and the French version usually shows a translate option below each post.
latest report
rjmm, which tour operator are using Chambery for Serre Chevalier?
snow report
they are staying with a school trip from skibound at the frejus in salle les alpes, feb 22nd arrival

a few of the guys in their 40's have been going on it since they went to the very same school and their teacher who originally organised the trip 25 years ago is still doing it although they are drinking buddies now and he tends to shout at them a little less Very Happy
latest report
Any views on whether the area would be skiable yet (even higher up) or do you need more snow to establish skiable pistes? See a few snow heaps but webcams proving difficult to get a skiers view!!
latest report
Any views on whether the area would be skiable yet (even higher up) or do you need more snow to establish skiable pistes? See a few snow heaps but webcams proving difficult to get a skiers view!!
latest report
RetroBod, as you say difficult to tell from the webcams. They suggest there isn't quite enough cover yet, but I may be entirely wrong about that, and they do have the snow cannons going.
ski holidays
Yes. Just getting a tiny bit nervous as due out 29th Dec!!
ski holidays
RetroBod, we're out there on the 21st so hoping for more too.
snow conditions
Don't panic

Just yet rolling eyes

Season passes arrived yesterday, bit fecked off to see x-country not included Sad
ski holidays
Weathercam, you get a one day pass, but it has never been included, did you expect it to be?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, yes we got the one day pass on a piece of paper, but did expect it to include x-country as well it's not as if it's a massive on cost, think I'd rather give up my free days to LDA and ADH in exchange, that said I'm going to LDA for a day W/c 16 Dec. Previous years with a season pass I was not into x-country so had not thought about it.

Mind you in all the time I've used x-country I've never been asked to show a pass, so we'll just take our one day passes and use those if we get stopped and or play the "I thought it was included in my season pass" etc. Should imagine all the checks will be taking place in the busy weeks, though I will enquire how much a season pass is added on to ours.

I was planning to x-country most morning whilst taking the dogs for a walk and stop in at yours for brekky Toofy Grin

You also don't get any discounts on LG but I knew about that, though still hoped to find it in the letter Sad

Oh and we now get a discounted rate of €12.50 instead of €15.50 on the all new Sledge Run, Deval'Bob near the Aravet, wow!
ski holidays
Quote:

I was planning to x-country most morning whilst taking the dogs for a walk and stop in at yours for brekky

Haha,
You'd better get Jules to order more croissants then I expect you'll spot him along there with Lola, our big German Shepherd.

We did get La Grave discounts last time we went, has that changed now?
latest report
Weathercam, I don't know whether you have seen this on the La Grave website or not. Although it does not mention a discount for a day pass, there are offers available for 4 days or more if you are a season pass holder (which can be non-consecutive). http://www.la-grave.com/winter/rates.php
latest report
Hells Bells, oh well that looks better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I'm on a rather intense course "Euro Avalanche Course" from Jan 6 - 10 and have mates out from 22 Dec to 5 Jan so we'll be commuting back and forth depending on snow conditions then a further group end of Jan so hopefully I can suss a deal...

That said I'll probably wait till I go over there and see as it's always pretty laid back, and also depends on where and who you buy your tickets from of course Twisted Evil
snow report
Weathercam, I renewed our passes online using the codes from last year, so no passes will be delivered, but assuming we still need vouchers for Via Lattea and Montgenevre, as well as our ID vouchers in case we lose it. They haven't arrived yet, so wondering if I should chase it up. Have you signed up for the owers programme yet? Gives you discounts in resort as well as being loyalty points when you buy ski passes which can be used for further purchases. We got a free 6 day pass out of it last winter.
http://proprietaires.serre-chevalier.com/
snow report
If you haven't signed up yet, you may still be able to get the points (OR RATHER EUROS) added to a new account, if you contact the SCV office, I have an email for them.
snow conditions
I`m off to Montgenevre again, this time for xmas, so will spend a day in SC; wonder if it will beat last year?
snow conditions
Looking pessimistic for Christmas, has to be said
snow conditions
Is that a bit of reverse psychology?
ski holidays
Wishful reverse psychology
ski holidays
Hi everyone. A few will remember me as being a resident of the Serre Chevalier up untill 2009.
My friend Sue has published a book about the region and I'm sure visitors would be interested to read about the area? Available for £2 on the Kindle. My wife Lin (Sue's walking buddy) is in 7 photos but you have to look closely to see her.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/275-7458476-2792516?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+history+of+serre+chevalier+and+briancon&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
chris, welcome back. Hope you and Lin are both well.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy