Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Cairngorm is currently being dumped on at all levels....Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great day out today in Glenshee with runs off Meall Odhar, Carn Aosda and lastly, Creagan Bheithe, 3 miles south of the pass for a ski through the abandoned but very atmospheric Dundee Ski Club area that Haggis_Trap wanted to check out. Sunny, more or less windless all day, variable snow quality but plenty of lines to be found. Cool

Report & more photos here ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3642

Skiing off Meall Odhar ...

The fine snow on our ski pitch at the top of Carn Aosda ...

Haggis_Trap on Carn Aosda, heading down to the A93

Mountain Hare defending his territory on the southern flanks of Creagan Bheithe ...

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great photos - thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awesome.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. When the lifts aren't running to take you up the mountains, you've got plenty of time to snap lots of pix, so inevitably some of them turn out to be keepers, espri Toofy Grin

And it's hard for our wee backwater nation reports threads to compete with the French and Austrian ones isn't it, meh, so we should keep posting photos every chance we get Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, absolutely, all pictures all the time. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No wonder the Hare looks pissed off. Looks like it had an accident with a slurry spreader.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That picture of the hare deserves a wider audience - worth submitting to the Scotsman or Herald.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For sale, 1 unwanted Funicular Railway. Buyer must collect from postcode PH22 1RB. Skullie

^An attempt to clear up at the Top, but the mist largely stayed sitting around with no wind.

^Much brighter on the mid-mountain and the snow was nice and loose here.

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=929
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Random facts I've just found out - Mountain Hare population in the UK is 350,000 of which 349,000 are in Scotland where they breed in 49% of our land area ... http://www.hutton.ac.uk/research/groups/ecological-sciences/landscape-and-spatial-ecology/mountain-hares/distribution

Valkyrie wrote:
That picture of the hare deserves a wider audience - worth submitting to the Scotsman or Herald.

Thanks, I never thought of that. That hare was extraordinarily athletic and shot off up the hill when we arrived, probably climbing 50-100 metres vertical in a few seconds on the 30 degree slope. The photo was taken on his second visit when he charged back down the hill to us, at warp speed, possibly in an attempt to intimidate. I was thinking of Monty Python's Holy Grail at that moment Laughing To see just how ballsy he was, here he is in the wider context after he came back.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bump! Nobody there on saturday?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The MWIS West Highlands mountain weather forecast deserves an airing. Cool

http://www.mwis.org.uk/sjfsvct/WH.PDF

British Mountain Summary: Based on forecast chart for noon 19th December, 2013

Widespread upland gales, with frequent and squally snow and hail showers; these often merging into near constant snow western mountains. Intermittent snow showers in east, with occasional bursts of sun.

Headline for The West Highlands: Upland gales, frequent snow & hail, whiteout.

Thursday, 19th December, 2013

Southwesterly 40-50mph, but sudden gusts to 70mph in northern areas. Winds easing during the morning.

Considerable buffeting at all levels. Walking or any mobility often very difficult at higher levels. Severe wind chill.

Frequent snow and hail; lightning. Almost continuous snow and hail, with thunder. Near constant whiteout
conditions with blowing snow. Snow often reaching glens.

Friday, 20th December, 2013

Westerly 30-40mph in morning, rapidly increasing during the afternoon. South or south westerly 60-70mph late afternoon, gusts 90 mph.

Walking becoming increasingly difficult at higher levels by afternoon with considerable buffeting. Severe wind chill.

Snow becoming heavy. Frequent snow showers in morning; fewest showers from Creag Meagaidh to near and east of Loch Treig. A sudden deterioration into afternoon, snow becoming heavy; whiteout developing.

Saturday, 21st December, 2013

South westerly in the range 45 to 60 mph, gusts locally 75 mph.

Considerable buffeting near showers from low level. Any mobility difficult higher up. Severe wind chill.

Frequent snow and hail. Snow/hail showers; one after another, often giving almost constant precipitation and whiteout, partly due to considerable blowing of already fallen snow. Risk thunder.

Planning Outlook: All mountain areas of Britain from Friday, 20th December, 2013

Frequent severe gales and intermittent storm force winds (or stronger) on the mountains until the end of the year. Precipitation will be considerable on western mountains, substantially falling as snow, particularly Scottish Highlands. There will be freeze-thaw cycles, albeit the warm interludes will often last only a few hours. Most likely toward New Year, there may be one or two cold periods where winds ease and in some areas, snow ceases for a day or two.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Planning Outlook: All mountain areas of Britain from Friday, 20th December, 2013 Frequent severe gales and intermittent storm force winds (or stronger) on the mountains until the end of the year.

Oulook's still the same - gusts of up to 130mph Shocked!!....Pity as the snow is building nicely at all centres. Still haven't ruled out a cheeky day or two between Christmas and New Year so it's everything crossed for a lull in the winds.... rolling eyes

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecasting 36cms at Glencoe tomorrow - now need the wind to calm down .....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Forecasting 36cms at Glencoe tomorrow - now need the wind to calm down .....
Boxing Day looks like the only potential lull in the next week or so - but maybe not enough of a lull to get any lifts up and running.... Confused
snow conditions
Glenshee planning to open on 26 Dec with limited uplift
snow conditions
I'll be at cairngorm on boxing day
snow report
Over by Loch Lomond it's absolutely hammering with rain which I hope is falling as snow higher up!
ski holidays
http://www.sais.gov.uk/

Avalanche risk is already high and it's worth noting that the SAIS patrols are finding multiple layers of unbonded windslab on aspects from NW through East right across the Highlands and not just towards the tops. More heavy snow overnight tonight, tomorrow and on Christmas Day, delivered on strong winds with varying directions mean that they'll definitely still be there on Thursday when a calmer weather window will likely mean quite a few walkers, climbers and skiers are out and about.
snow report
moffatross, are you around between Christmas and NY? Flying back on 3rd having changed my flight if you're around for some turns.
snow report
I'll be up at Glencoe for Hogmanay if anyone else is about. Up on the 30th, back on the 2nd, so a couple of days to get some sliding done, if the wind lets up.
ski holidays
I'm up on the 1st after I have done the loony dook !!!
latest report
I'm up from the 1st till the 5th going to try and get to Glenshee as well if anyone is about and the conditions are good.
snow report
Absolutely hammering down most of today and continuing tonight in the west of Scotland according to radar. Could be impressive high up once the weather clears.
snow report
Glenshee hoping to run some lifts tomorrow. Probably the best bet to get underway quickly after the storm.
ski holidays
Touring gear packed....along with mountain bikes and walking kit. Setting off early tomorrow (for Glenshee?) with all bases covered in terms of outdoor pursuits in case we end up staying in Scotland until the weekend. Plan is to play it by ear in terms of the weather..... Puzzled
latest report
Forecast looks like the wind will drop a little over the next few days.. if it does, it could turn out to be an awesome newyear break. I'll definitely be taking the skins in case lifts don't open tho
latest report
Ace day at cairngorm today. 21 years since my last visit. The views down to the loch were a bit special.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mattmulkeen,

Great stuff! Glad you enjoyed it - but make sure you don't wait another 21 years!
snow conditions
Bergmeister,

Too right - no excuse not to get back up more often. It's where I learnt to ski too!

Snow conditions were really quality today. They had a good few lifts back on by three. If the winds stay down, should be good tomorrow.

Gun barrel my favourite today of the few we saw!
snow report
Glenshee ski touring was brilliant today Very Happy. Initially disappointed to set off in a pea souper - but nice snow and the weather cleared for an amazing untracked powder descent to the foot of the Glas Maol tow. Only four of us on the run - me, Mrs MA and two snow-white mountain hares! Magical Very Happy Very Happy

A great day - but only problem now is sorting car trouble. Power steering has packed up on my Mondeo Confused. We're in Perth tonight (200 miles from home) & hoping to mountain bike/hike/ski again before travelling home on Sunday....Plan is to find a garage first thing tomorrow. If the worst comes to the worst, car still drives....but is it safe (and or advisable) to do so??
latest report
Me, firstracks, Haggis Trap and High Rustler had a great day's touring at Glenshee yesterday too starting with a skin up to the Cairnwell for a virgin run down the Tiger. A bacon roll at the cafe fortified us for the first climb to Carn Aosda and an amazing run through Dubh Coire and our lunch stop. Then a climb to Carn Aosda again for a ski down the north ridge and back to the A93 via Cruinn Choire for a hitch hike back. Great snow to be found everywhere, some spells of perfect visibility and even the claggy bits were perfectly skiable. Hope you get your car sorted quickly, mountainaddict.

Alans deep bath, you have FB ... hope we can meet & ski over next few days. Cool

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3651

Looking back to Carn Aosda in the clouds ...

Haggis Trap antlering out of the gully towards the bowl ...

Bootpacking back out of Dubh Coire ...
snow conditions
Great pics Moffatross!

Yep, got the car sorted. Despite pleading our case (200 miles from home; holiday potentially in a ruin etc) the local main dealer just didn't want to know. Fair enough, the workshop was fully booked but a lesson in customer service/telephone manner would have been useful...Cue CHERRYBANK GARAGE of Perth to the rescue Very Happy - part ordered on Fri, delivered the same day & all done by 3.30pm. Fantastic service & the holiday saved. Great stuff & we couldn't thank them enough. Went mounain biking in the woods above Perth while we waited for the car - & had a great time.

As yesterday was forecast stormy, we mountain biked in the woods from Inverdruie to Loch Morlich & back. Good fun but a bit nippy.

Ski toured at Cairngorm today (as the queue for lift tickets at 9am was beyond belief - half way down the car park). Excellent snow conditions but wind a bit wild by close of play. On the way home now after a great four day break Smile
latest report
Queues today were indeed beyond belief. Some lovely snow up there though and it didn't feel that busy on the hill.

The new ticketing system at cairngorm was having issues apparantly but once the new cards can be topped up online from home before travelling to resort, queues (at least anything approaching todays levels) should hopefully be a thing of the past.
ski holidays
Yep a nightmare.
Arrived at 9.45am and got on the hill at 11.45. Okay i had to change, get to the bus. Get in the wrong bit of the queue that added 30mins onto queue

But 30 minutes would have made 90minutes of a difference

However this is a one off really and was marshalled expertly by Windymillar. Nice to meet you Graham.
snow report
I'm all packed and ready to head up tomorrow. I'll probably arrive at the 'Coe quite late, LONG after the lifts have shut, but I hope to be out on the hill on the 31st. Anyone else about fancy a bit of a slide? I'll have the skins with me if a bit of trekking for better conditions are required.
snow report
Sounds like you reprieved the situation and made the most of it, mountainaddict Smile

But there were no queues at Drumochter today Toofy Grin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157639169544383/

firstracks, on the first climb of the day.

Haggis Trap in a loaded gully off Sgairneach Mor.

firstracks, enjoying first tracks.

Dave, on the Boar, last run of the day above the car on the A9.
snow conditions
moffatross, looks great.
snow report
Enjoying these pics. Never skied in Scotland, but what an advert!
snow conditions
moffatrossThat's amazing! I could be tempted! The hills around Drumochter have always looked appealing (and would save us a fair bit of driving to our usual Cairngorm ski touring) - so a few questions for you:

- Is the last pic looking north or south?
- Is there a straightforward introductory route (maybe just a few hours?) that you could suggest at Drumochter? If so, I'll look it up on Bing's OS Maps online with a view to buying the local OS map. Any directions/alternative routes would be excellent - we wouldn't be after anything too gnarly (on avalanche avoidance grounds as much as anything else).

Cheers! Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy