Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
With summer officially over, the nights closing in and snow falling at the summit of Ben Nevis on the last day of August Smile , it's time to begin the countdown and get the Scotland snow thread on the road!

Here's to another bumper season, with turns from October to June Very Happy. Who knows, we could have some lifts spinning in about 7 weeks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-11-13 20:44; edited 15 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Woo hoo! Snow on the tops last weekend! Here's Glencoe Very Happy !

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any more snow up that way?

Thinking of getting an all areas season pass this year is it worth it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if you plan to do more than ~15 days yea it's worth it, other wise not really
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will be over in Scotland in May for a mates wedding so here's hoping for lots of snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
'Fraid not - it's really warmed up over the past few days....Wish winter would hurry up and set in - in the Highlands at least Smile.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
'Fraid not - it's really warmed up over the past few days....Wish winter would hurry up and set in - in the Highlands at least Smile.

Nah, it should stay in hiding for another month or two so I can save on the heating costs. Although the skiable snow that often falls in late October and early November is worthwhile for a ski tour, even that stuff is just an ephemeral illusion of winter. December to May is where it's at. Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The snow patch watchers will be hoping for a cool or cold October, but from the snowsports perspective while many scoff at the warm dry October theory, the historical evidence is that significant snowfalls, particularly lift served snowsports in October is not a good omen for the winter ahead. Beware of the 'skiers folly'...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The legendary h11lly continued her unbroken ski record, making it 48 consecutive months making turns on Scottish snow today. Amazing and inspiring stuff Cool ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7551363@N06/sets/72157636225579445/

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
The legendary h11lly continued her unbroken ski record....
I see it was on Aonach Beag. Not knowing that area (apart from climbing Ben Nevis and skiing at Aonach Mor wink....) can anybody tell me the location of the snow patch in question - ie in relation to the summit of Aonach Beag. It looks a very impresive patch for early October.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Another autumnal tease from the weather at Glencoe. Summit snow might come and go a couple of times this week, but it looks as if the tops might well see more below freezing temps from the weekend into next week with models edging towards an unsettled, potentially stormy but quite cool pattern. Though the 850hpa temps don't look very promising, the heights are sufficiently low that the 850hpa temp is often around or even below the tops on recent runs for the weekend into next week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So November skiing not looking too likely at the moment then.... rolling eyes Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saw the gritter on the A9 (Tore roundabout) yesterday and a dusting on Wyvis this morning. Would go walking to assess but wife and I have got stinking colds Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm currently looking up from the Inverlochy Castle at Nevis range and there's a nice dusting of snow up there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CairnGorm also has some snow, pictures on their Facebook page.
ski holidays
Nice view...

snowHead
snow report
Good stuff Winterhighland! Despite Snow-forecast.com website not showing anything significant, the Beeb's TV weather map at 07.00 today showed a meaningful-looking snow blob over the Cairngorms for today Very Happy.

Just had a look at the webcams. Glencoe, Nevis and Cairngorm are all white on the tops! Could there be enough for a bit of a hike and slide in the next couple of days Puzzled Presumably Hilly's Aonach Beag patch will have formed a base for the current snow? (ie assuming it was still there....)

Edit: Here's Glencoe later in the afternoon Very Happy: There almost looks to be a decent cover in the Main Basin! OK....maybe I'm getting over excited.... rolling eyes

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 1-11-13 21:36; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Wife is going to Aberdeen for work next week - any idea to take ski along? Laughing
snow report
Fresh snow at glenshee
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee
snow report
Quote:
Fresh snow at Glenshee
...and at fairly low levels at Cairngorm too Smile:

snow conditions
More snow overnight - even the Lecht's getting in on the act Very Happy

ski holidays
A shameless FB page rip (with my annotations added) of Nevis Range's three back coires showing its main ski runs actually filling in. It only needs another 6 foot of snow to completely cover the rocks !! Laughing

ski holidays
Was playing golf at Crail today and you could see that the hills were pretty white up Perthshire way Very Happy
snow report
Some of those Perthshire hills.

snow conditions
larry1950, great pics. You should put them in the camera club thread
snow conditions
larry1950, The bottom one is that from the top of the falls walk ??
latest report
Thanks boabski, it should have said that the top one is Schiehallion and the lower ones are of Ben Lawers.
snow report
Great pics Very Happy. They've got me champing at the bit - especially now that H1lly Helen managed to put some fresh tracks down on Cairngorm yesterday Very Happy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meandrew, You are in the right area, we walked from the Amulree/Kenmore road to the top of the falls, first time I had been on that path and will certainly do it again as the views were terrific.
snow report
Wow Shocked - Cairngorm is looking amazing! See reports on Winterhigland are saying that it's currently ski anywhere in the Ptarmigan Bowl, all the way down to the foot of the Piste Tow - as per the following photo:

In full early season cover, Cairngorm Mtn. once famously said that the cover was 'Only cosmetic.' It looks more than cosmetic already on the photo above - I wonder when the first lifts will spin...(or train will chug wink )??
ski holidays
Cosmetic inasmuch as it's skiable but it still needs to form a decent base for it to last.
ski holidays
Surely there will be some pretty big rocks just under the surface?
ski holidays
Quote:
Surely there will be some pretty big rocks just under the surface?
A lot of the Ptarmigan Bowl (lower down at least) is fairly grassy - hence Windy Miller over on Winterhighland reporting (after skinning/hiking up) that:
Quote:
As Helen said, the ptarmigan bowl is ski anywhere and there is plenty of snow down to the Ciste and Ptarmigan tow huts.

Quote:
Cosmetic inasmuch as it's skiable but it still needs to form a decent base for it to last.
Agreed - but I was referring to the infamous time when the mountain was blanketed in deep snow but CML basically couldn't be tossed to open - so described the cover as cosmetic.... Confused
snow conditions
mountainaddict, something I don't get, why do all the Scottish resorts do their "lift maintenance" at the start of winter? Why not do it when it's a quiet time of the year?
ski holidays
larry1950, I can just see my brothers cottage.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
mountainaddict, something I don't get, why do all the Scottish resorts do their "lift maintenance" at the start of winter? Why not do it when it's a quiet time of the year?

This is the quiet time. They are busy in the summer with sightseers and mountain bikers.
snow conditions
Quote:
Why do all the Scottish resorts do their "lift maintenance" at the start of winter?
A few years ago, didn't Cairngorm change their annual funicular maintenance to earlier in the autumn - so that they could be ready for any November snow?

Meanwhile, have you seen that Comedy Goldsmith is reporting elsewhere this forum that Cairngorm is looking into the possibility of opening this weekend Smile ?
snow conditions
mountainaddict, Cairngorm are looking in to opening this weekend as it is supposed to stay cold with snow, if you bother to look at their Facebook page you will see that they have their snowcannons working.
latest report
Quote:
if you bother to look at their Facebook page you will see that they have their snowcannons working
Never been on Facebook - so won't be 'bothering.' 'Fraid no interest whatsoever after being put off by workmates who are gripped by regular updates on such rivetting matters as who had what for tea last night and so and so misplacing their car keys.... Confused

Nothing on the Cairngorm website when I looked earlier this afternoon though...... Puzzled
latest report
Oh dear. If they're opening this early, I have some serious negotiating to do
I don't think my significant other has realised that skiing can start so early!
Time to start making plans for weekends - would love to hear from other sh's
in range - I'm in Teesside, so about 5 1/2 hours drive to Aviemore. Let's see
how the snow lasts/sustains/increases to 3m depth Happy))
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy