Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
and glencoe yesterday. stunning.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maxhowarth, you lucky beggar. Sad

Still, it's nice to see what I was skiing last week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
which days were you there?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tuesday lunch till Friday lunch.

It wasn't that bad; on Friday it was sunny for 30 minutes rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking at the reports of snow depth enviously and wondering how doable a long weekend trip is when you're coming from a long way away...we're in London, though if we drove up we could stop over at my parents' house to make the drive more palatable.

Leave Thurs evening, stop over in Sheffield, drive the rest of the way in the morning...ski Saturday and Sunday, drive halfway back to Sheffield then the rest on Monday.

But is Scotland too unpredictable to make this worthwhile? Does it get less unpredictable later in the season? It'd be great to have a change from the Alps (and the drive, while tedious, is not particularly expensive) but it would suck to arrive and then it be unskiable for the whole time we're there. Also have no idea if it's feasible or better to stay somewhere you can drive to multiple resorts?

Suggestions from Scottish pros welcome! My parents (who've skied a lot in Scotland) always warned me not to go because you get frozen and blown off the mountain Toofy Grin Wondering if they've been hiding something from me...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
belette, personally, I think you would be better to leave work and set off straight away. London to Sheffield in only 2.5 hours, so head further north on the Thursday. Try and get up to either York/Newcadtle at the very least, or The central belt of Scotland would be better. That way you can then ski in the Friday as well.

I've stayed in Newtonmore which is about 30 minutes south of cairngorm, 1hr to Nevis range. I found it a lovely base just off the A9 so good transport links. The later in the season I think the conditions improve. Warmer weather, sunnier and less windy usually. I wouldn't go with the mindset of it being like the alps, it's very different. But, it's a good choice for a weekend away and something a bit different. Flexibility is key, I personally wouldnt commit to booking time of work and accomodation for mid April now, I would wait then a few days out and when you have a better idea of the weather, then book
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
belette, As you're based in London have you looked at the overnight sleeper option? Timetable info here - you can leave London Euston on the Thursday night at 21: 16 and arrive Friday morning in Aviemore at 7:40 (or Fort William at 9:55)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
belette, your parents are correct.
Scotland is not like the alps.
The lifts often not running coz too much wind, not enough snow, or - new to this season - too much snow.
It is usually windy. It feels colder.
In just a morning you can get all weathers rapidly one after the other: rain, hail, sleet, snow, fog, locusts.
The only thing going for Scotland is the food. Far better than France, so my son says: sausage-in-a-bun, bacon butty, homemade cakes.
On the other hand, if you like wild, rugged, vaguely threatening, and prepared to take the rough with the smooth, you will have a great time
Assuming the lifts are running. And its not raining.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
The only thing going for Scotland is the food.

A roll and square sausage, mince and potatoes, macaroni cheese ... am I living in an alternative universe ?

I got the impression that belette knew about Scotland's foibles, but contrary to what you say above, Scotland quite often offers better skiing than the Alps does. It's all about the location and timing and I think how to get the timing right was what belette wanted to understand.

The lifts will run if belette gets the timing right. And it can pish down with rain on any ski run, at any ski resort, anywhere in the world. Scotland isn't much more prone to that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, French food better than Scottish? Are you serious?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Jonpim, French food better than Scottish? Are you serious?

Just one word on the relative merits of the two cuisines- andouillette! Skullie Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross, i've only been to Glenshee and Cairngorm (and Hillend Smile )
And we did like to the mountain food.
Agree you can get rain anywhere - worst soaking ever was Avoriaz beginning of one January.
But do think Scotland more of a gamble than most alpine places i've been to.
Always worth checking on-line before setting off (from Blair Atholl where Step-mum lives)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone. The sleeper is a very tempting option but concerned that we would lose all our flexibility if we booked ahead (and if we didn't it could cost as much as flying to the Alps). It seemed implausible that it would be unskiable for 4 whole days but how depressing if it was...!

The 'get as far as we can' option may work given we can both probably wfh on the Thursday and set off at a decent time. We'd also then have the car so if the weather was terrible we could have a selection of places to go (unless it was biblical and closed them all at once). I guess the only way to do it is take the stop/go decision (and book accommodation?) on the day before we set off. It's a bit like surfing, anxiously checking the forecast Very Happy and it would be cool to go somehwere different, the pictures look stunning. Skied Norway in early Feb and now have a bit of a taste for 'different' ski locations Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It gets a lot easier to drive up from now as there is so much more daylight. Late April is great. Weather tends to be more settled, fewer skiers around and you can see the great scenery on the way up & down. Don't plan a weekend until there is a half decent forecast the week before then check, check, check. I have skied 30+ days in Scotland since 2007 without any significantly poor weather, but I do put quite a bit of effort into the forecasting bit beforehand. Wind speeds are key, although rain isn't great either.

For instance I started looking for a feasible weekend in January. Quite a few were out due to work/social stuff etc. The first 2 that I really focused on were last weekend and this one. Weather last weekend was sunny spells and light winds, overnight snow. Blustery and snowing with poor visibility from mid-mountain up at 3.30pm on sunday, but I was ready to go home then anyway, after an excellent weekend skiing.

Forecast for this saturday is 70-100mph wind and torrential rain. Glad I went last weekend! Looked likely to be going from 7-8d out, definite plan on wednesday. Booked friday night accommodation on thursday night, saturday on friday morning. Lots of accommodation as long as you are a little flexible. Changed where we were skiing sunday on saturday night based on the tows running and weather forecast (mainly the TV, also info on winterhighland). Having Wifi is very helpful! Left just after 6pm on Friday and got home (Manchester) just after 10pm on Sunday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, that's really helpful advice. If the snow is likely to hold into April then it would be easier to arrange a trip then too (more free weekends). If it went into May then that would be perfect (wishful thinking?!)
snow report
[quote="belette"]Thanks, that's really helpful advice. If the snow is likely to hold into April then it would be easier to arrange a trip then too (more free weekends). If it went into May then that would be perfect (wishful thinking?!)[/m

May is still in the 'very likely' category this year I would say, despite the thaw due at the weekend. Easter is almost certainly a runner this year, not 100% as you can never be 100% in Scotland. Last few years I have boarded at glencoe and Nevis at Easter every year. They have recently been closing after mayday bank holiday - often through lack of customers rather than lack of snow!
ski holidays
Snow very likely to stay into May, especially at Glencoe and Cairngorm, probably Nevis too. Likely to be some midsummer skiing at all 3, but will the lifts spin past the May bank holiday?
latest report
Can anyone recommend any accommodation close to Glenshee? Hopefully coming up from Leeds one evening for a midweek ski...
snow conditions
kitenski, The Spittal of Glenshee is the only place that is close but haven't stayed there so no recommendation. I have stayed in Braemar which was nice and there are plenty of B&Bs there.
latest report
kitenski, there are plenty of places in Braemar or we stayed in st Michael many moons ago. Let me know when you are going up I might make the effort to get there the same time.
snow report
Curtains, thinking skiing this Tuesday depending on forecasts....
ski holidays
Curtains, I think you mean Kirkmichael
latest report
kitenski, Plenty of places in Perth - only an hour away from Glenshee. Relative to Leeds (and further south!) that almost next door.
snow report
Hi
Heading up to Scotland tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous with the recent warm weather that there will be some snow when I get there!

Is anyone there at the moment? I was originally heading to Glencoe, but will follow the snow.
snow report
@d, there will be stacks of snow - it'll take more than a few days of warmth to get rid of it! Especially at Glencoe.

I'm in Aberdeen and it doesn't actually feel all that warm anyway... Nothing like as balmy as it was when I was down in London over the weekend!
snow report
Its only 9 or ten degrees in Glasgow today with a chilly wind. But a nice wee bit of heat off the sun. For that alone I was thankful, its been windy and raining for nearly 3 months solid.

You've picked the right week to come up. best weather of the winter so far. Even despite the weekend thaw, Glencoe is still looking very white. Most of the huge rock formations that exist all over Meall a Buiridh are still completely covered.

Enjoy
snow conditions
Thanks Bob/Nelbert, that's reassuring.

Really looking forward to it now.
latest report
Just south of Glasgow now but still yet to decide whether to go left on A84 to Glencoe or right on A9 to Aviemore!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The little feller has just had a few days there with school. His basic report was "rubbish"
ski holidays
Bear in mind the Coe Cup is on at Glencoe this weekend, which means the Flypaper will be shut to all but competitors (as will any other competition faces if they need to move it). Also, with 80 odd competitors plus support as well as the normal weekend visitors, it'll likely be quite busy. The forecast looks okay tho...

If anyone's going, I'll be there, staying in the hobbit huts. No idea what my bib number is yet tho.
snow conditions
homers double, any reasons?
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, Skiing (of a fashion) at The Lecht in slush and dirt. Caingorm wasn't much better.

That said he's 10 and probably thought he was headed to the Alps so perhaps a schoolkids review is best taken with a pinch of salt, however he does know his conditions and did say he's never skied anything as bad.

One thing to note is that he was forced to stay low with the beginners which is bad form considering he's a good skier and we thought the school would have made some sort of effort to get him (and four other skiing kids) higher up for some real runs.
latest report
The Lecht looked pretty sad last I went through and doesn't look great on webcam, so I can believe that, but Cairngorm was in very good nick and still looks to be good. I've spent the last week at work looking at the weather wishing I was there... The beginner's runs at the bottom of Cairngorm are not good fun usually, they're flat and there's one which always has a rock sticking through.

But higher up the White Lady and Gunbarrel were in really good condition - snow on the White Lady was alpine the weekend before last, when the tow was actually open. I understand there's been a thaw but there should still be excellent coverage, it just might have been a bit soft.
latest report
At Glencoe, yesterday was like the Alps but better Smile
Today, misty start, hard snow but softened late morning & mist lifted so had some great runs.
The place was really quiet so I didn't queue anywhere which was a bonus
Rain forecast tomorrow...
snow conditions
Glad you had a good couple of days @d. I fear that's now the end of your skiing on this break.

And it's yet another weekend where the weather isn't going to play ball for us weekend warriors.
ski holidays
I skied Cairngorm today, first time I've skied in Scotland and despite quite a few runs being closed I really enjoyed it. Some lovely varied terrain and not too heavily bashed. Pistes were generally in good nick and didnt really soften up much despite being fairly mild, although there were a couple of thin areas on the M1 and round that side. It was just the lifts that I found a killer particularly the long slow t bars. Just praying for more of the same tomorrow but it's not looking particularly promising with very heavy winds and rain. I'll definitely be back though.
ski holidays
GottaCatchEmAll, what runs were closed and do you know why?

For today perhaps head to Glenshee? their website says 14 out of 22 lifts open/opening
ski holidays
It's looking like it's going to be pretty hairy this weekend :/

Still, I'm booked, registered and committed, so might as well make the trip.
latest report
feef wrote:
It's looking like it's going to be pretty hairy this weekend :/

Still, I'm booked, registered and committed, so might as well make the trip.

Yup. Second weekend in a row that I've abandoned plans to travel to Glenshee. The latest forecast for tomorrow says the winds will drop from the gale force levels today but forecast is for showers (rain) and moderate to poor visibility. Decided that a trip to the big freezer in Weegieland would be more appealing than either Glenshee or Hillend. Sad
snow report
I went to Glenshee today and it was grim. First time I've ever skied up a blue run, wind was that strong lol. Still better than being at work!

Kitenski- sorry first time ive been so I don't know most of the runs. I know the West wall Poma was closed due the mechanical problems and all the runs that serves. Everything above the top station was shut because the snow was too deep ie ptarmigan t. I remember m2 was closed but that may be one of the runs off the west wall, also part of white lady was closed off for a schools race although it could still be skied at the side. Everything was shut at cairngorm today due to high winds.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 14-03-14 22:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy