Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
maxhowarth, just looking at the forecast this morning, as a punter predictor, I'd agree.

Girt big low to go over this weekend and early next week, an even bigger one following it in for next weekend but the possibility of some very low winds in between.

Where are you heading?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
glencoe I think. had a couple of great days very recently. and even if there's a dump of new snow it's more likely that the road there will be open rather than the tiny glenshee one.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm still not sure where to go.

forecast is still changing Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, why not stay at your uncles place and decide day by day??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's at Banchory; a good drive from Glenshee, and too far from anywhere else.

I'm thinking Glencoe/Nevis again; I've a good B&B deal temporarily booked there too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I see the forecast has changed again - was hoping to drive up to either Glencoe or Glenshee on Tues/Weds - forecast yesterday showed light winds and possibilities of glimpsing a big fiery ball in the sky. Now shows heavy snow but obviously could change again. Out of the two resorts which one is likely to be most accessible if its snowed hard overnight and will I need winter tyres / chains?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
glencoe. no question. I've got winter tyres but have never used snow chains in scotland.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
It's at Banchory; a good drive from Glenshee, and too far from anywhere else.

I'm thinking Glencoe/Nevis again; I've a good B&B deal temporarily booked there too.

Pfft, we go from Aberdeen which is another 20 miles from Banchory, can easily get to Cairngorm...

I'll admit it's not ideal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nickr, Glencoe has the more reliable access road. However, temperatures aren't forecast to be particularly cold at the beginning of next week, so I'd be surprised if there were major problems with the roads. The "tiny" Glenshee road is the A93 - it's not that tiny!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobmcstuff, I reckon it's an hour to Glenshee and two hours to Cairngorm. As you say it's doable, but a pain there and back for three days running.

I can't get to grips with the forecasting at all. I might just sack off next week entirely Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm off all this week and looking at the forecast have no idea if I'll get any decent skiing done

Was planning on going tomorrow as the wind didn't look bad then the forecast today the wind almost doubles

Getting seriously frustrated with this
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Off to aviemore Friday for an overnighter with the family. Hoping the wind will ease by then as snow depths looking amazing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm also in Aviemore for the weekend - doing a winter skills course with Steve Fallon on the Saturday and hoping to get some skiing in on Sunday. Fingers crossed for the weather!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1873Chris, I feel your pain. I've been watching the weather for the last week looking for a window for a day or two but it just hasn't happened.
According to snowforecast looks reasonable on Thurs / Friday but not according to Met Office - might chance it anyway.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-26339994
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
this weekend is looking good
latest report
we're off to glencoe this friday. weather's looking almost as good as saturday and it'll be a fair bit quieter.
ski holidays
The difference between CairnGorm and Glenshee from Aberdeen is not as big as popular wisdom has it! It's just under 70miles from Aberdeen to Glenshee and a just over 90 to CairnGorm. When I was in Aberdeen it was often down to road, snow and weather conditions and also when with Uni minibuses what sort of group there was. Sometimes it was a spur of the moment decision whether to fork left or right at the Westhill Roundabout on the A944 at the end of the Dual Carriageway! snowHead
snow report
Photos from Thursday on CairnGorm Mountain. Friday should be largely dry with fairly light winds. The weekend forecast is light winds and Sunny spells.... Shocked

^Going up the Gunbarrel on the Cas T-bar.

^Uplift was limited to Carpark T-bar, Ridge Poma, Sheiling Tow and Coire Cas T-bar, should have access to top via M1 Poma on Friday so the White Lady awaits.

Full Report & Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=971 snowHead
ski holidays
I'll be in Aviemore from about 9pm, winter skills course tomorrow and skiing Sunday - expecting crowds on the hill I guess?

Winterhighland wrote:
The difference between CairnGorm and Glenshee from Aberdeen is not as big as popular wisdom has it! It's just under 70miles from Aberdeen to Glenshee and a just over 90 to CairnGorm. When I was in Aberdeen it was often down to road, snow and weather conditions and also when with Uni minibuses what sort of group there was. Sometimes it was a spur of the moment decision whether to fork left or right at the Westhill Roundabout on the A944 at the end of the Dual Carriageway! snowHead

Yeah I don't find the difference too bad.
snow report
After a minor delay of thirty years, I'm heading back to Scotland for some skiing on 11th March. Any tips?
snow conditions
Pleasurable day up on cairngorm, learning to use crampons, ice axes etc.. Culminated in climbing Cairn Gorm and cutting it very fine to drop our equipment back! Looking up B2 boots now.

Pretty sure it was windier than the 20mph MWIS forecast... Skiing looked extremely busy, but the weather was great. Skiing tomorrow, planning to get there good and early.
snow report
Hi folks, I'm looking to head up to either Glenshee or Glencoe on Monday or Tuesday- whats the 'best' weather forecast to use? I've been looking at MWIS, Winterhighland, snowforecast and the Met Office and there doesn't seem to be much consistency!
latest report
Arrived cairngorm yesterday around 10.30 only to find they weren't selling any more tickets as they had to shut a few down due to wind and hadn't dug out funicular. Great start to our mini break. Arrived at car park today at 8.45 got the bus up and queued a fair bit to get the tickets then queued for the poma as the funicular queue looked pretty bad - only for the poma to break down temporarily. I was so peeved off at this point, especially given the fact that the lads were on the way to st Anton. Thankfully we got skiing and it was excellent. The white lady is now my favourite run in Scotland. Absolutely alpine condition. On fact my 16 year old son rates it as one of his favourite runs ever.
So despite the queues we had a great day. Was pleasantly surprised how quick the funicular queue goes down. So all in all a great days skiing today in glorious sunshine.
latest report
Bring on tomorrow! Smile
snow report
Not my photo but a shameless FB rip from Nevis Range today Cool ...

ski holidays
Beautiful.
ski holidays
amymax18, I was using all the same ones in the run up to my trip last week. Like you say, they all seem to tell a different story. However, I found the met office was pretty much bang on. Snowforecast was waaaay too optimistic!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I see they still can't be bothered getting the main basin access running at Glen Coe; I just can't see the problem!!

latest report
nickr wrote:
amymax18, I was using all the same ones in the run up to my trip last week. Like you say, they all seem to tell a different story. However, I found the met office was pretty much bang on. Snowforecast was waaaay too optimistic!

Its driving me up the wall! Think I might give each resort a quick phone tomorrow morning before I leave Glasgow-will this go down well with the staff or are they not keen on people phoning?
latest report
amymax18, with all the lows sweeping over the Atlantic at the moment, you can't tell in the morning what the afternoon will be like.

However, I'd say that on the west coast the best conditions tend to be later on in the day wink
snow report
The funicular at Cairngorm is buried in snow drifts and is unlikely to be running all week (according to the ticket office this morning).

Was definitely breezier than MWIS said it was going to be today!

Definitely glad we were staying locally as the car park was already busy when we arrived about 08.10.Spent most of the day skiing through drifting snow - it's a strange experience not being able to see your feet yet having bright sunshine above you!

The White Lady button did open but I only made one run on it before they closed it again, I think because snow was drifting across the uplift track at a really high rate. All the lifts mysteriously died just after 14.30pm so we canned it and came home.

It was an enjoyable day skiing, but I'm still pretty upset that they charged a full day lift ticket when there were only 4 lifts operating (5 for a brief period). Glenshee would have had the decency to at least knock a few pounds off.

I've got some photos from the mountain skills course yesterday and skiing today to put up later.
snow report
Glencoe relatively quiet today with the ski all day for a tenner offer at Nevis Range encouraging people up the road.

Only lower mountain lift-served ...

So skins were useful ...

For fresh tracks on the Spring Run ...

Ski Patrol live in this hole ...

In the afternoon, heavy snow and cloud took away visibility higher up but the snow down to the car park was fabulous ...

But some noodling and heather hopping was required ...
snow conditions
Are there any bumps in Scotland currently?? Thinking the Tiger at Glenshee is my best bet??
latest report
Looking for bumps?
As you're heading down Main Basin at Glen Coe, head steadily rightwards.
There'll be a huge bump just after you fall about 2m into the tank trap that they've been building.

Unless it's full of snow of course.
ski holidays
theres no bumps on the tiger or at least there wasnt any when i skied it on Friday. You'll have to hike up if you want it because the chairlift is currently buried.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist, bumps plural, not singular Wink
ski holidays
kitenski, there were no bumps even on Glencoe's busy Wall on Sunday, because the snow was falling and blowing in faster than they could form.
snow report
Some belated photos from a great ski tour at Cairngorm last Thursday (27th Feb). Parked at the Ciste Car Park and went up via the Laogh Mor Return and Ptarmigan Bowl. Very windy at times, icy ascent in places but fairly sunny. All of the Ciste side was closed, as was the cafe - so no lunchtime soup to warm us up from the severe wind chill... Sad

Descended to the Daylodge on fantastic snow via the Traverse and Cas, then skinned up the Daylodge piste. Back to the car via the Aonach Ridge on pretty decent snow.

Although snow has been blasted away by the wind in some places, the depth in others is just phenomenal - eg Ptarmigan Tow (cable very low at the bottom and buried up to the pulleys at the third or fourth pylon); Ptarmigan Restaurant buried (see pic of entrance below Laughing ); the bottom of the Gunbarell was a gentle flat snowfield, more or less level with the bottom of the M1 and Cas tows; and the funicular track was level with the snow and being dug out.

Here's to ski lifts open into June and ski touring into July!! Very Happy

ski holidays
a few nice shots from glencoe on friday. great day until around 1.30 when the wind just got too ferocious.

and in spite of the weather change at least ben managed to keep the far side of the cafe entertained with his tower of condiments display
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy