Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
School holidays very mixed this year some already had time off with Highland schools off all this week and others having their break this weekend, understand the English mid term is over two weeks this year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just after some advice. Thinking of organising a trip up to scotland at the start of march. hopefully the wind will have died down by then and the snow will still be good. The thing is i will be taking 4 mates who haven't really skied before. I'm a qualified instructor so gunna give them a few lessons there. Was just wondering if glencoe, or nevis range will be best?? The only day we can go would be a weekend, sat/sun. I've never been skiing in scotland before, so not sure which resort is busiest at weekend, and they'll need to hire equipment so would need info on where's best for that as swell if anyone can help.
cheers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
superG, I've only visited the other three Scottish resorts before, but I do know that Nevis Range is almost always quieter than Glencoe. Snow is still likely to be good, barring major heatwaves / lots of heavy rain. Any particular reason you're ruling out Glenshee / Cairngorm / The Lecht?

You can hire equipment from the ski centres directly. I can't comment on the quality though.

If the wind is strong, Nevis Range is more prone to closure, especially if the wind is from the SE which affects the access gondola.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
superG, not glencoe for a beginner. Cairngorm would be your best bet IMO.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definella, Just access more than anything. Travelling up from Manchester so just thought the west coast resorts would be easier and quicker to get to. The quieter the resort the better really. But can only do sat and Sunday unfortunately so understand that makes crowds unavoidable. Looks like Nevis range is winning the vote at the moment. Has anyone hired equipment from there and can comment on quality? Thanks for the advice so far guys.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Be really wary of a south easterly wind if heading to Nevis

Today there would have been hardly any wind at glencoe but Nevis was not open until 2pm then only the lower mountain cos of that wind
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
superG, Glencoe is fine for a beginner. often the Plateau area hasn't got great snow, this year it's not a problem. Then a nice progression to the easiest runs off the Cliffy (turn left and follow the piste). Usually Nevis would be the one area I wouldn't recommend for beginners but even here with loads of snow and a slightly lower snow line, there appears to be a decent area for beginners. Right by the top of the Gondola - there are 2 short beginners tows and usually the snow is patchy, not just now. It's also not really used by anyone else (the really lazy can use the upper tow to access the Alpha, but even they will only use it once). The cafe is right there and the lifts are more modern. Then there are 3 lifts just above with blues to progress to if they can. My friend hired equipment last year, (and they gave me poles for the day for free, lovely people, I'd left mine at home) good equipment.

The Cafe is in a different league to Glencoe - a shed with school seats and a limited menu (I kid not). I love Glencoe but it's charms are a little rough and ready. The cafe at Glencoe is on a green run (a little poling required to get back to the Plateau, a short walk to the Cliffy) though so it is a reasonable option. A good 45mins closer too, I usually do a day at each when I go for the weekend. As others have said above, beware of the wind and and plan wherever is more likely to be sheltered. Nevis has always been quiet when I've been - last time I went (March last year, a saturday) we were on the Quad at about 10am and could see 5 other people. Sunday was their busiest day for 10 years. Glencoe isn't usually THAT bad, especially in April, I've been riding a whole tow alone between 9 & 10am. The plateau poma is used by beginners and those using the full vertical of the steep eastern slopes so a few good skiers will pop into the queue. Intermediates tend to stick to the upper 3 tows through the day. A bit different when the snow is down to the car park though (like now). The bar at the base is much nicer too. Hire equipment is okay (and they charged me for poles).

Cairngorm's beginner area is at the top of the mountain and they haven't been able to dig it out yet. You don't need/want a 2km run to teach on (with a massive queue for uplift no doubt). The lower mountain isn't really ideal for complete beginners e.g. the Car Park T-bar has a downhill section - guaranteed to catch some people out. If the lower slopes are sketchy, having the beginner area at the top, accessed by Funicular, is helpful for decent snow. Not need just now.

Glencoe and Glenshee are equidistant from Manchester BTW, 300 miles each. Glenshee has lots of green runs, right from the centre of the ski area. All 3 cafes are on green runs/at base. It can be not too busy, or completely mental - they can fit in a lot more cars than Glencoe, but 3x as many lifts. Winterhighland reports & nightly write up can help you decide how bad it might be. Sometimes conditions are far better on 1 side of the country (wind or visibility). The scenery isn't quite as good. The Apres ski is best in Aviemore, but not worth going to Cairngorm until after the Easter hols IMHO!

Lots of accommodation options nearby (less at Glenshee) so don't decide yet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, sounds like you've picked a spot then Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc, here in Aberdeen the kids are off till Wednesday as far as I can tell.

I think Glenshee would be pretty good for beginners, it seems to have quite a lot of options. Cairngorm too, but potentially more queues if the weather/snow are good. Can't comment on the other areas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what...snow, top, detailed post, and you've well pointed out that some of the received wisdom from leaner years just doesn't apply this season e.g. Glencoe is actually the beginner's paradise this winter. Incidentally, my youngest was up at Cairngorm with a 6th form school group on Friday and he told me that although the funicular wasn't running, lessons were taking place on the snow accessed via the Day Lodge and Fiacaill Ridge pomas.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
what...snow, thanks a lot for the valuable info. Really appreciate it. I'll reassess where to go after reading that. Think the idea of doing glencoe for one day and Nevis another is a good idea if weather allows. Thanks again.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
superG, agree with everything that what...snow says. You could consider staying somewhere in between Nevis and Glencoe so you have flexibility on where to go on the day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No problem. Any other questions, just ask and I'll answer or dig up an old one! Just applied my knowledge of what the ski areas are like now (from the recent photos) and my one visit to Glencoe and Nevis with a beginner. Going to visit soon, just waiting for a decent, free weekend.

The views from the road between Nevis & Glencoe are worth the drive alone. Try and do it in daylight at least once.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
superG, One word of advice if hiring skis particularly at the weekend, if you are not there early enough you might not get skis. We arrived at 8.30am on Sunday and stood in a not too big a queue till 11am and were the last people to get them, I think the ski school got priority for skis. Do not buy your lift pass until you get hire equipment as they will not refund you. Myself and my wife both learned to ski in Glencoe 19 years ago, we found it brill to learn so cannot comment on Nevis, hope that helps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, even though I'm a tight git, I really liked Glen Coe last year, and the back corries at Nevis were sheets of ice.

Might be doing a re-run this year. What's the lift served off piste round Glenshee like?
snow report
bobmcstuff, Wednesday as in today, or next week?
ski holidays
Wednesday as in tomorrow! rolling eyes
snow report
what...snow, is it still Tuesday in Lancashire?

Embarassed
latest report
Wind looking bad for the weekend. Again.

It's been every weekend that we could have got up there for about the past month Confused.....

Next chance is midweek next week..... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Yep that's my weekend plans foiled again also. Similar to last season, the weekends I can go have mostly been in weather I wouldn't even bother trying
latest report
Driving up tomorrow, looking to ski Thursday and Friday at Cairngorm/Glenshee. Getting a bit nervous about the wind forecast!!! Does either resort have an advantage over the other when the wind gets up?
latest report
skied last Thursday and Friday at Glenshee, plan was to go to cairngorm but A9 got closed on Wednesday afternoon so we had to divert. Thursday was abysmal with horrific wind speed allowing only three lifts to operate so the kids boarded for two hours whilst our skis stayed firmly in the car. The Friday was a better day with no wind in morning but very flat light and because some schools had begun holidays the queues were a total joke. typically waiting 15/20 minutes on a poma all over the mountain. on the plus side the snow is amazing depth and I predict skiing on it into May
ski holidays
Forecast for end of the week and weekend not looking too clever!!!

Any suggestions for what to do with 4 ski mad kids 9 and under in the Lochaber area in the midst of a storm?
snow report
jonathancarty, wait and see, you may find the east coast is ok and the west isn't or vice versa....then there is Glenshee and the Lecht to consider....

keep an eye on http://www.mwis.org.uk/wh.php closer to the end of the week...
ski holidays
I'm going up to glencoe friday night (booked a while ago). In my experience the forecasts have not been very accurate until around 24 hours before - even then things can change. If the wind is too strong then we'll go for a walk or climb at the ice factor in kinlochleven. MWIS tends to over estimate the wind - below 40mph and most lifts should be running. Hopefully spring will bring better over head conditions and most folk will have gone back to the golf course!
snow report
Just back from three days at Glencoe and Nevis Range - huge amount of snow. They are still digging the drags out of the snow. Half term so busy, but had a good time with the family in a nice part of the world. For those going after the kids are back to school if the weather is kind then you will have a great time
snow report
Got a ski hire question for Glenshee. Hope to visit Glenshee tomorrow and was wondering what the ski and boot hire situation will be like. Do hire at the mountain? If nit any advice where is best. Is it likely to be busy tomorrow?
latest report
jonathancarty, As said if Cairngorm is closed the Lecht could be open. Don't have small children but if weather windy but dry you could try this place http://www.landmarkpark.co.uk or if very wet there is the Funhouse at the Hilton in Coylumbridge. This place is near Inverness and may seem an odd suggestion but the tropical fish tanks should keep them entertained for free http://www.simpsonsgardencentre.co.uk. Hopefully Cairngorm will have at least some skiing open and you won't need this information.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks larry1950, we're actually staying in Spean Bridge. The guys at Nevis Range said this evening they'd be "stunned" if they open tomorrow. I suspect Glenshee will be the best bet sigh, only 2.5hrs from here. Better set the alarm.
ski holidays
The forecast looks pretty scanky for everywhere over the weekend and into next week.

I'm playing wait and see at the moment, I daren't book accommodation just yet. Puzzled
latest report
jonathancarty, Sorry no idea of what goes on in that area but if the children are into Harry Potter you aren't too far from Glenfinnan where some of it was filmed. Is there any chance of Glencoe opening as it is OK for beginners and children along with great views, also have you checked how far it is to the Lecht as it may be a bit less and you would pass Aviemore to get there.
snow conditions
I reckon Nevis and Glencoe are a write off for tomorrow. We're going to head East and go for Cairngorm or Glenshee madly monitoring FB on the way. I suspect Glenshee has the best chance.
snow conditions
jonathancarty, you were right. Nevis and Coe shut today, as is Cairngorm. Glenshee looks to be the only place running lifts.

I'm now thinking I may be better over there next week myself.
snow report
MWIS suggesting high winds all weekend, looks unpleasant for skiing. A friend is looking at going to climb Ben Macdui so I was thinking of tagging along to go skiing at cairngorm, but at this stage it's not looking promising for lift opening.

Can only make tomorrow in any case because I have to fly down to the big smoke on Sunday evening for a meeting first thing Monday...
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, weds and friday are the days this coming week. i'd give this weekend a huge body swerve.
latest report
Skiied at Nevis Sunday, Glencoe Monday, Nevis Tuesday/Wednesday and Glenshee Friday this week. All have amazing snow coverage, pretty much pick any line you fancy on the side of the hills. Went over the back in Nevis too, the cornices are massive at the moment though, some of them must be due to fall.

It was windy at Glenshee today but not too bad once you got down the first 50 metres from the tops. The snow was mostly really good, the occasional windswept icy/hardpack, but not too much. It was snowing again as I left at 5pm ish.

The weather forecast for the weekend doesn't look great, very windy.

Some photos - http://imgur.com/a/30dfa
ski holidays
maxhowarth, I was planning to come up on really early Tuesday morning till Friday afternoon. Did you mean they were the days to miss or the days to ski?
ski holidays
I guess people are hoping it melts out a bit for the Coe Cup! The Flypaper and surrounds looks crazy banked out with practically zilch still standing proud. Shocked
snow conditions
Great day at Glenshee. Pretty much everything open, very windy on the tops but not so bad lower down. Coire Fion and Glas Maol we're just ski anywhere white bowls and when the clouds cleared and light improved were just brilliant.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, they're looking like the days to ski. least wind forecast. I'm off all week - car's packed ready to go.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy