Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
moffatross, nice work and great weather snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks all, but the pleasure's all mine. I love pimping my pictures anyway Madeye-Smiley

mountainaddict, the pic off the Boar was looking north. I wouldn't know what to advise with respect to a route other than to say it'd probably be best to plan some variations on the OS map sheet in advance, arrive early on a fine day when you can see your targets and just keep your options open to change as you go along. Haggis Trap and firstracks were behind the scheme and had initially thought to take in 3 x munros but with the snow quality like in the pic below on many of the pitches, it was hard to keep to an itinerary. The pics don't tell the story of the knee-threatening crust in the lower 2/3 of the Boar though, nor the extra time for retreats when we came across areas of slab on higher slopes that weren't to our liking.

As it was, our journey of 10 or so miles gave us approaching a mile of vertical and including stops for lunch, banter and photos, took exactly 7 hours from start to finish.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moffatross, Sweet. Wish I was there snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers moffatross! Another cracking photo! I'll see if I can get round to posting some pics of last weekend's Lurchers Gully etc ski tour Smile.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a fantastic day at Glencoe today quite a bit of Jedi skiing but it was still a great day with good coverage with loads of untracked snow to the right of Spring run.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As mentioned earlier, a few recent (if slightly belated) pics from Scotland ski touring Smile :

Glenshee fresh tracks - Boxing Day 2013:

Windblown powder in Lurcher's Gully, Cairngorm - 29 Dec 2013:

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, mountainaddict, looks like they were great days out. Little Angel Love the moody Lurchers pictures, and what an incredible backdrop. Cool

meandrew, I very nearly came up to Glencoe today but the early webcams told me about the Jedi requirements so I decided to hang fire until it was finally too late. Glad you found nice snow though ... presume by left of Springy you mean towards Rannoch Glades ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
knew I should have made the drive this morning, flying back to the relative warm and flat tomorrow Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, I was meaning from half way down spring run and to the right towards the run out from fly paper to the top of the poma no tracks at all.Today is totally written of but hopefully Saturday is on the cards and Su day maybe see you there?.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thinking about heading to one of the areas tomorrow, where do the great and good of Snowheads recommend? We'll be coming from Aberdeen. I gather it's going to be less windy than it is today. Glenshee looks like it might have the edge?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glencoe has the best cover but is a bit of a long one for you.

Glenshee looks to have the next 'valley' open too(not the Glas Maol though) and rumour has it the Cairnwell Chair will run on sat, also probably best for wind. For you I think it is a no-brainer.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The skiing at Glencoe at the moment is really good so after today's snow fall it should be amazing on Saturday,I'm position end in the middle between both sites but I know where I'm heading.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobmcstuff, I'd disagree with roscoeh actually and suggest Cairngorm for tomorrow. Cairngorm are ready to open the West Wall and Day Lodge lifts, which means 11 out of 11 will run if you're lucky. They also have slightly more snow (enough for some off piste too), although with Cairngorm on a weekend you have the ever-present danger of crowds and queues...

If you need to hire skis and won't get there til after half 8, Glenshee might be better as the queues will be shorter for hire and tickets.

Not enough snow at the Lecht to be worth a trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helens report from the other day suggested it was a bit hard and scoured off piste.

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3666

Unless todays accumulations added a great deal there will be limited off piste within the ski boundary. However I am still swithering so if you have inside info lets hear it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Winter highland is reporting another foot of snow today at Glencoe. Surely there are not many places below glacier level in the alps that now have more snow Shocked
snow report
Peter S, please Dont tell everybody!!!!
snow conditions
and if the wind stops we might be able to get to it ...... hmmmm to be fair there might be a lull tomorrow then back to the 100mph crap
snow report
roscoeh, my inside info is only from Monday, so a bit outdated. There was quite a lot of decent untouched powder on both sides of the Fiacaill lift. Of course it could have changed in a few days - surely more than at Glenshee though. Not sure about the Ciste side as it wasn't open on Monday.

For the record, Glenshee is actually my favourite Scottish centre, but I think Cairngorm clinches it at the moment.

A lot will depend on whether Cairngorm do actually open the West Wall / Daylodge, and whether Glenshee do actually open Cluny / Caenlochan. Hard to predict!
snow report
denfinella wrote:
bobmcstuff, I'd disagree with roscoeh actually and suggest Cairngorm for tomorrow. Cairngorm are ready to open the West Wall and Day Lodge lifts, which means 11 out of 11 will run if you're lucky. They also have slightly more snow (enough for some off piste too), although with Cairngorm on a weekend you have the ever-present danger of crowds and queues...

If you need to hire skis and won't get there til after half 8, Glenshee might be better as the queues will be shorter for hire and tickets.

Not enough snow at the Lecht to be worth a trip.

I only just saw this post, we spent the day at Glenshee and it was really good Very Happy

Glas Maol was closed as was a lot of the higher stuff, but there was plenty open to keep us entertained for a day, and the ticket was discounted to £25. Snow was heavy but really smooth, and coverage is generally pretty good. There was a bit of mud and heather on piste, but not enough to cause any issues.

I have my own skis but was with a few other people and a couple of them needed to hire, and we didn't get there till nearly 9 (stopped for breakfast in Ballater) - hire queue wasn't too bad but still a bit annoying.

It was my first time skiing in Scotland I was really impressed, it's incomparably better (not to mention cheaper) than Chill Factor which was my "local" until a few months ago. Although it was my first time using a T-bar and I didn't enjoy it very much Very Happy

I'm off to Austria on the 25th so hoping to get at least another day in before I go, so might try and make it to Cairngorm then (obviously weather dependent).
ski holidays
Here are a couple of photos:

View down from the Sunnyside chairlift down to the carpark:

Somewhere up the top of Sunnyside (the guy in the bright trousers is a friend of mine):
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, nice photos! Looks good. Lots of cars in the car park I see, so hopefully queues were OK? Glas Maol is brilliant - when they do open it I'd certainly recommend going back. I'm not really a fan of T-bars either! I do remember the Cairnwell T-bar at Glenshee as one of the more uncomfortable ones. Was Caenlochan open? Good they reduced the lift ticket price.

Cairngorm didn't open the West Wall today anyway so maybe you made the right choice. If you do go to Cairngorm, try to go on a weekday as they do get busy (even more so than Glenshee) at weekends. Where are you going in Austria? I'm off to Soll in February.

I'd post a few photos from my last visit to Glenshee (last season) but I'm not sure how to upload onto here.
snow conditions
Queues seemed OK, maybe it was long for Scotland but it felt short to me - a couple of minutes tops at some of the busier pomas. The carpark wasn't nearly that full until the afternoon (when that photo was taken), and it wasn't completely full then.

Caenlochan opened after a few hours I think, although to be honest I kind of lost track of what the names were, I just kept skiing and then getting on random lifts Very Happy

St Anton on the 25th, pretty excited.

I upload photos to Photobucket and then just link them. I think you can upload direct to the forum but have never tried.
latest report
After abandoning our plan to meet up with shoogly at Glencoe (we were for 9.15 but the queues for kit hire and the ticket office weren't getting any shorter while we looked on from the cafe), me and my oldest lad headed up to Nevis Range. It turned out that I had left my boots on top of the boiler at home so my Dynafitted skis weren't going anywhere without the right boots. Some faffing around (Nevis don't hire out touring boots) and an unexpected extra full kit hire later, we were on our way up the hill in calm and mostly sunny weather to some really nice snow. Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157639407017476/

Gondola ride up ...

YES Scotland !!

Lots of families enjoying the uncrowds ...

And the extensive snow cover even low down in the ski area ...

My lad swapped to a snowboard shortly after I took this pic ...

The view down to Loch Linnhe ...

Nice views everywhere in fact ...

But lots of work for the staff still to do to get on top of the ongoing storms ...
snow report
moffatross, great photos, thanks.
latest report
Cheers, Ayrshire Andy. Blush

Good stuff, bobmcstuff. Despite people being nervous of them, there's not a ski centre in Scotland that doesn't rely on T-Bar access to some parts of the mountain and riding them soon becomes second nature. I must have had a couple of thousand T-Bar rides with anything from nervous boarders next to me or with the bar behind my knees to compensate for a small child, or occasionally, with the uptrack wending its way across slanting bulletproof ice noodling its way between rocks. Mostly, I love using them, have never fallen off one yet and found being happy using them is an advantage in the Alps where you can sometimes have lift access to relatively unused areas of the mountain that many other people are avoiding. Cool
ski holidays
It was OK after the first time. Using it on your own feels uncomfortable because I felt I had to counterbalance to stop it coming off (whether that would have happened or not I don't know), using it with another skier means there's 8 ski edges involved and it had a mind of its own, and using it with a boarder means you have to get very comfortable with your companion very quickly Very Happy

One thing I noticed about all of the poma and T-bar tracks is that they were much less landscaped than any I have seen in the Alps - there was a poma on the Sunnyside side (I think?) where a much taller man than me (5'8") would have to duck to get under the runners on one of the towers! Wasn't exactly a problem - just keeps you on your toes wink
snow conditions
Got a day in at Glencoe on Saturday. This is a bit late but I can't see any other Coe update. The top (above the wall) was brilliant. Very deep cover and lots of fresh. The middle between the wall T and the cafe had very good cover and the skiers left end (wall and etive glades) was icy but good fun and VERY wide. The gullies under the chair however were hard crusty nightmares early doors, might have softened up later but we ran out of daylight before trying again. Big queues on Saturday, but no surprise there as it was the only day for ages without gales.

I don't know what the current mild spell is doing but there is a lot of snow up there.
snow conditions
Quote:
One thing I noticed about all of the poma and T-bar tracks is that they were much less landscaped than any I have seen in the Alps
That generally applies to the pistes too - things are generally all a bit more rustic in Scotland, with none of the runs bulldozed or levelled.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This Saturday - looks clear and cold (at the moment): Glenshee again, or somewhere else? Glencoe is probably a bit too far to drive from Aberdeen.
snow report
Half price tickets for Aonach Mor this Sunday, can't go myself unfortunately.
latest report
Google says nearly 4 hours drive - I'm out unfortunately. Cairngorm any good at the moment?
snow conditions
Anyone any thoughts on how crowded Nevis Range might get on Sunday with it's excellent 'Ski for the price of a gondola ticket' offer? Have they ran this offer before?

Must say that even on powder days we have never found Nevis to be too busy - and certainly never in the 'Two hour queue to buy a ticket at Cairngorm' league.... Confused

One concern regarding possible queues though is that - with storm-damage repairs still awaited - indications at the moment are that it is 'hoped' that the Goose Chair will be operational at the weekend.

And does anyone who's been up know whether Warrens Tow might be a goer?
latest report
There's quite a few cracking offers on the go for accommodation in and around Fort William for Saturday, take a look on Laterooms, some single rooms inc. breakfast for £29 and £39. Opportunity to get in Glencoe on Saturday and take advantage of the cheap tickets at Nevis on Sunday. Don't forget Glencoe has the microlodge 'hobbit houses' on site by the base of the Access Chair and the Cafe serves food till 8pm and is usually open to 10ish on weekends.

It's hoped the Quad will be operable by late on Friday - but there's still quite a bit of work to do so it's not guaranteed (keep an eye on the Nevis reports page www.winterhighland.info/nevis ). If the quad opens with good cover on the runs to the top of the Gondola the quad can absorb a lot of people so queues shouldn't be an issue (except perhaps the Summit).
latest report
Glencoe have just posted a bullish bulletin for the weekend, based on the exceptional snow cover and weather prospects ....

http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/578510/943fb64a37/ARCHIVE

More tasty photos from Glencoe yesterday ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3678
ski holidays
Quote:
There's quite a few cracking offers on the go for accommodation in and around Fort William for Saturday, take a look on Laterooms, some single rooms inc. breakfast for £29 and £39.
Just booked the (fairly new) Fort William Travelodge for £39/double on Sat night. Can't go wrong for that. It'll be Glencoe on Saturday (Dumbarton Travelodge tonight for £34 Smile ) and Nevis Range on Sunday. A reasonably priced weekend in prospect with the cheap Nevis Range tickets on Sunday.

Quote:
Glencoe has the microlodge 'hobbit houses' on site by the base of the Access Chair
Given prices like above, I know it's at the slopes so you may be paying for location, but does anyone else think that £50 for the hobbit houses is a bit overpriced? And while discussing accommodation at the Glencoe slopes, Mrs MA and I inspected the new camping pitches there last spring. Shocked Ridiculously undulating - like pitching a tent in a mogul field. Unless it's been totally levelled I wouldn't recommend it.
ski holidays
Camping in the Scottish Highlands in winter. An undulating surface wouldn't be top of my concerns.
snow conditions
snowing again at glencoe this morning.

Glasmaol scheduled to run at Glenshee. Arguably one of the best runs in the UK in good conditions snowHead
ski holidays
Had a cracking day at Cairngorm!! Pistes were pretty firm with quite a bit of refrozen granular "snow" and icy patches around from the thaw earlier in the week, but also some softer stuff around and some nice drifts to play in. It was quite breezy out of the funicular and on the Ptarmigan Bowl side so spent a lot of time on the Coire Cas side.

The Gunbarrel was in fine form, so skiied that most of the day, on and off. White Lady was good too, if icy in places. Had my flow ruined a few times by my skis continuing sideways - still great fun though. The access green run back down to the funicular was nasty, the left bit was sheet ice with holes (only did that once, did the right bit thereafter) and there were a few protruding rocks. Very congested at the end of the day, and not my idea of fun. Fortunately the pitch is such that you can just amble down behind beginners falling over without any problems.

The West Wall poma was running, it was a decent and quiet run down to it. Quiet too. I embarrassed myself by completely ignoring the "stop/go" light system though Embarassed
I don't think I've ever been on a poma with a downhill section before!

Quite impressed with Cairngorm overall, it actually feels like it's in the 21st century with proper electronic lift passes and the modern base building, funicular etc. Felt more like an actual ski resort than Glenshee. It did have more queues, but they weren't too bad. View down the valley is absolutely stunning, I have to say!

View from Coire Cas T-Bar:

My mate at the top:

Finally, this is what happens when you bring bread but leave all sandwich fillers in the fridge:

We took the "Scenic Route" from Aberdeen and drove through the Lecht, which has very little snow and looked pretty sorry for itself.

Finally, unless I'm very much mistaken, there was a Rax Ski demo left out of the Ptarmigan!!! I didn't stop to have a go though, if it's there next time I will do!
snow report
bobmcstuff, great report and photos. Are they digestives in your sandwich? Yuk!

Some decent (not amazing - that's reserved for the west) conditions in the east just now. I now need to make the same decision between Cairngorm and Glenshee for Tuesday. Have been to Cairngorm already this season, but I've never skied Ryvoan (to the West Wall lift) before. Haven't been to Glenshee since last spring, but the snow's not (quite) as good and I've skied the whole area before.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
Camping in the Scottish Highlands in winter. An undulating surface wouldn't be top of my concerns.

I was up at Glencoe for new year, and there was a chap, Dougie, who was camping there. Bit of a character Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy