Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with Ski Jackets....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm new here, so, nice to be here....

Can anyone tell me what order you would rate these jackets from the warmest to the least warm? With things on sale right now, I'm thinking....

Marmot Treeline
Patagonia Rubicon Rider
MontBell Thermawrap Guide
Marmot Cauldron Hoody

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aiki1, Hello and welcome.

No idea about the jackets, but is it really important to you to get the absolute warmest jacket? I've spent more time being too hot when skiing than too cold.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aiki1, I've a Marmot Cauldron (non hoody). It's a nice jacket but not that warm tbh. It's not a skiing jacket, just a lightly insulated (synthetic not down) jacket
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I've spent more time being too hot when skiing than too cold.

I haven't! It all depends on the individual, I think. If I am too hot, which is comparatively rarely, I just undo all the zips and ski down a run. That invariably has me doing them all up again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aiki1,

These days it is all about layering. Some might think that is so they can sell you 4 layers to keep you comfortable rather than just wearing a tee shirt and a nice warm jacket...until recently I might have agreed.

This season I got myself a Gore-Tex hard shell which is anything but warm. It is windproof and absolutely waterproof (not usually essential, but an Xmas trip and an early Jan one both with rain low down - it was brilliant). Layering underneath with with anything between a very warm merino base layer to an ordinary tee shirt, with the option of a down gillet or a fleece from my back pack...I'm now a convert.

Before I was often too hot when skiing, sweating buckets, getting wet causing a loss of heat, getting dehydrated etc etc. It was a bit of a vicious circle. Now things seem much more in control. I check the weather forecast each day before I go out to choose my base layer and which other warm things to put in my back pack. If I get cold or have to wait around for the kids ski school group to return I can put on the additional layer[s]. If I'm skiing flat out then I have found that down to about -20 I'm OK with the hard shell and one layer underneath.

So far I haven't had to stop to add an extra layer when I have been skiing actively yet. Only when I have to wait around for the kids.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
^ this layering lark is sensible. It can take a bit of trial and error to get the right combos for the conditions, but it's worth it for the comfort.

Warm jackets are great if you are cold (obviously...) but if you get sweaty, you will chill, and then you will be cold and wet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy