Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot cleaning?

Poster: A snowHead
Quick question/advice sort.

Before storing away for the summer months and after three seasons of active use I have noticed my boots ming. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows about cleaning or washing the inners, any tips?

My current boots are very comfy and I'd rather not have to replace.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Embrace it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ADESki, you can get things that you put in pongy trainers for storage . But short term take the inners out and put them outside in the sunshine, this will kill the bacteria, You can wash the outers out as well. Dry VERY thoroughly. Then leave in a warm, dry place with plenty of air circulation, not in a closed bag.
clarky999, You cuddle your ski boot? Confused Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ADESki, Throw away, buy new pair, you know you want/need to! Toofy Grin
welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ADESki, liner replacement...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that, buying new is the obvious option but like I said these boots are the first pair that I have found "all day happy" and. Would like to keep as they were bought in Germany and haven't seen their like in the UK.

Plus I would like some new powder skis for next season! Laughing

As for embracing them C999 I'd rather a snow bunny! But each to his own matie!

Snowowl,will try your idears, not like I have to rush, eh?

Thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cat litter! Contains odour neutralisers and absorbs moisture, sprinkle in, leave for 48 hours, hoover very well before use.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Make sure the liners are bone dry then put some baking soda in them. Vacuum it out before you use them again. I can usually see stream coming out of mine when I take them off, but so far no pong.

snowyowl wrote:

snowyowl, you don't??????
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shells in the dishwasher, inners in the washing machine - but take out the footbed first Happy - and tumble dry on low.

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So.... Cat litter in the washing machine
Baking Soda in the dishwasher
Trainer Balls in the tumble dryer

All thats missing is the angry wife!

Ah no, had one already, cheers chaps!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ADESki, no short-cuts - cat in the washing machine and balls in the tumble dryer could be traumatic
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thornyhill wrote:
ADESki, no short-cuts - cat in the washing machine and balls in the tumble dryer could be traumatic

I'm sure i'll get over it, not so sure about the cat though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mega shortcut....balls in the....nah - lets not go there. Cat definitely wouldn't get over it.

Kids use this stuff in their football boots. Reduces the pong from 'vomit inducing' to 'not that bad'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scholl-Odour-Control-Spray-150ml/dp/B000LNG1OK?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ADESki, i have heard that some of the wet suit de odourising products are effective... No ideas re names/ brands though!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowyowl wrote:

Show them some love, and they'll love you back wink

Seriously though, ski boots are supposed to be stinky, not a lot you can do really do about it. These days I actually quite like the smell Laughing Embarassed
snow report
I use slightly diluted savlon/tcp in a small spray bottle. Keeps the beasties away that make the infamous perfume Shocked
snow report
I leave the boot heater in for a couple of days on a low setting. When I'm sure they're dry I stick em in the attic.

My feet only smell of roses though.
ski holidays
hmmm, that reminds me, where did i drop my boots when i came in last

rolling eyes
snow report
Thornyhill, mine live in France and I don't usually...but no, I don't. Am I a sad and loveless person?
Quote:

Seriously though, ski boots are supposed to be stinky

No I don't agree!
I found this though....for the liners maybe..

Put your smelly trainers in the freezer.....
........to freeze and kill the smelly bacteria. I saw this on the telly, and tried it on my smelly MBTs. And it works.

Put them in overnight, in a plastic bag. It's probably a good idea to let them thaw before you put them on. snowHead
snow report
Freezer definitely kills the bacteria, do it all the time with workbooks and trainers.
snow conditions
Athlete's foot powder. - Mycil or Scholl.

Then in your first couple of runs, next time out, you'll be skiing powder!
snow report
I am sure I read something about using a microwave to kill the bugs. Don't take my word for it. But ski boots are definitely not supposed to smell.
snow report
foxtrotzulu, Shocked
snow conditions
I find they don't smell if you always use a boot dryer every evening to keep them bone dry. One of the best investments ever.
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:
I find they don't smell if you always use a boot dryer every evening to keep them bone dry. One of the best investments ever.

Very true, I remove my liners and dry them EVERY time I go skiing, after 250 days of skiing my liners do not smell!.... they are packed out though.
ski holidays
Idris wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Very true, I remove my liners and dry them EVERY time I go skiing, after 250 days of skiing my liners do not smell!.... they are packed out though.

+1
latest report
uktrailmonster, +1
snow conditions
CAPTA1N P wrote:
Freezer definitely kills the bacteria, do it all the time with workbooks and trainers.

I did it with a pair of Tom's which had developed the ability to sour milk. Whilst it didn't work 100% it made a real improvement.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CAPTA1N P wrote:

Freezing does not kill bacteria. Freezing damp boots may wipe out a few of them if they get stuck between some ice crystals, but otherwise it will just make them sleepy until you warm them up again.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Idris wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

+1

+2
snow report

Thermic boot warmer - one of the best bits of kit I own. Put in gloves when in from the slopes for the evening & then switch to boots at bedtime & leave in overnight. Simples.
snow report
Forget a 'thermic boot warmer', what I want is a thermITE boot warmer. That would be great!
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advice, tips and others!

To close this thread but to update what happened.

Liners out and into washing machine ( noisy) outers hosed down with fairy liquid by the garden hose.

Dried over a weekend in the airing cupboard. Musslen bag of kitty litter left in for a week then, having bought a boot dryer, about three hours on a slow blow (stop it!). The results seem to have cured any odors..!

Once again thanks to all for opinions, tips and guidance. A cyber beer to all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy