Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 3 new places where you want to ski in the next 5 years

Poster: A snowHead
I'm having serious trouble whittling down the list of five to a top three...I guess this means I have to do them all, but where do I start?

- heliskiing in Alaska
- skitouring in Norway, or possibly Iceland
- summer trip to Argentina
- Japan powder
- La Grave (well, this one's a must, really).

Where do you want to go next?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lech
Hochkonig
La Tania
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
- Japan, hopefully next January
- Lofoten/Norway is really calling... Particularly like the idea of boat trips into fjords, skin up once side of a mountain and ski down the other to meet the boat again
- Kashmir/Himalayas
- Russia
- Love the idea of touring somewhere like Afghanistan or Iraq too, but no idea how feasible that is at present...

Really want to hit up South America too, though it's a toss-up between summer skiing and winter kayaking (Chile is full of lovely, clean waterfalls).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 19-04-13 13:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Grave
Argentina
N America
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Norway (Lofoten) and Iceland skiing looked cool.

Would add Jasna, Slovakia as 3rd, just cos it's off the beaten track, but seemingly investing in some rather modern kit.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 18-04-13 13:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lofoten touring
AK
Greenland dog trip/touring
Maurienne valley Freeride
More Dolomites after this years great rip
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Japan, would mean I could buy soem new fat skis
Lyngen/Norway although I would have to get a lot fitter for a touring trip
North America, maybe Utah? Justify the superfats bought for Japan.

andy, I went to Jasna for 2 weeks a few years ago and would go back, would do it as a last minute when they get good snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Except the more well known areas still on the list to visit (Tignes, Ischgl, Serfaus, Sella Ronda and others in Dolomites etc),
I would love to go to those - slightly smaller - places:
(chill out piste skiing rather than off piste for me)

-Nassfeld, Austria
-Mellau-Damuls + Warth, Austria
-Val Cenis and others in Maurienne valley, France
-Monterosa, Italy
-Baqueira Beret, Spain
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, I want to go MTBing there too (the car has room for both) Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First place would be a road trip around small resorts in Canada to places like Terrace,Cat skiing in Serbia and a road trip around the Pyreneese.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Japan
AK
Monte Rosa

Gulmarg has dropped off my list since the less than stellar TR

Achieved Lake District for the first time this year - awesome
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots of bits of Ski Amadé that I haven't done yet: Hochkönig, Schladming, Dachstein, Gastein.

Would also love to go to the Dolomites properly but never managed to find any TOs with decent flights there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, Admintours Wink s10BB (cheap flights to Venice and the bus is only €30 or something like that)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, I meant a TO! Can't do any of the bashes due to timings...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AK
NZ
Japan

Twisted Evil

Although most likely will be:

Mont Chery
Chatel
Les Crosets

Smile
snow conditions
I don't know if I'll get there, but things that i've liked the look of on here are;

Cat/Heli skiing in Canada. I think cost would make it cat!
Alta/Snowbird (again)
Japan (again)

There are more, and I'd like to find out how my knee would hold up to some ski touring too.
snow report
As much as I'd love to do a heli-skiing trip to Alaska, a 1-week trip there would pay for trips to

Georgia
Iceland
Norway

That'll be the tonic Wink
ski holidays
Jungfrau
SellaRonda - Dolomites super ski
Mammoth - in the spring

And I hopefully that will all happen next year, including SkiDiva meet up at Snowbasin - Powder Mountain which will include a couple of Snowbird/Alta days, and Park City...

and should my cousin be in Schladming this fall, a pre-season weekend with "family" = (read free lodging and airport pick ups).
snow report
Japan
La Grave
Chile
snow report
Jackson Hole
Japan
Chile
snow report
Ischgl
Arraba - done Selva but didn't do hardly anything at Arraba
Saalbach
snow conditions
Already booked Whistler for January.

Business is likely to take me to Calgary next winter, so that will be some other Canadian boxes ticked.

Believe it or not, I've never skied in Austria, so that's a must in the not too distant future.
snow report
horizon wrote:

- heliskiing in Alaska
- La Grave (well, this one's a must, really).
- summer trip to Argentina

Done Japan (and will hopefully do it again yearly) so all these in that order.
ski holidays
Japan (again)
Aspen (again)
Norway (after the wonderful TR's recently)
ski holidays
Breckenridge
The Dolomites
latest report
Already skied an awful lot of Norway........ Voss, Geilo, Hafjell/Lillehamer, Kvitfjell, Hardanger (summer), Kvamskogen (Google it!) Nor Trondelag, Beitestolen, Hemsdal.

Skied across the pond in N America, half a dozen resorts, only to be disappointed,...............................

For me it's more a question of where would I not ski again................
snow report
Tom W wrote:
Except the more well known areas still on the list to visit (Tignes, Ischgl, Serfaus, Sella Ronda and others in Dolomites etc),
I would love to go to those - slightly smaller - places:
(chill out piste skiing rather than off piste for me)

-Nassfeld, Austria
-Mellau-Damuls + Warth, Austria ( Drove out of Warth via Faschina Damuls to Lech last week!!)
-Val Cenis and others in Maurienne valley, France
-Monterosa, Italy
-Baqueira Beret, Spain

This season I skied Hermagor/Nassfeld, Shoppernau/Warth/Lech, (Drove out of Warth via Faschina Damuls to Lech last week!Gressoney/Champoluc/Monte Rosa, ........ great choices. snowHead
latest report
theskibob,

I'd love to hear that list... I'm guessing Kvitfjell would be at the top? or ? What did you think of Geilo?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, you still need to ski the pennines........
snow report
Ruapehu
Kamchatka
Etna (in a good snow year)
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Japan
AK
Monte Rosa

Gulmarg has dropped off my list since the less than stellar TR

Achieved Lake District for the first time this year - awesome

Had been thinking similar things about Gulmarg too tbh. In 'ski travelling' I'm kinda looking for more than just the skiing though (otherwise BC would much higher up the list), I want some exoticness, different culture and preferably adventure too.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-04-13 9:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
All time top 3:

- Japan
- S. America
- Norway

Next 5 years?

Realistically, Japan should happen within that time frame, S. America probably not (only because I want to spend a month or more down there and I don't have that much time off till I retire).

So here's my more practical list for the next 5 years:

1) somewhere in Japan
2) La Grave
3) somewhere in southern Colorado (Crested Butt/Silverton/Wolf Creek) -- though I could be equally happy to end up in Taos or Telluride which are in the same region but not "new" to me...

I may get lucky and knock off Norway within the next 5 years. But I'm not actively planning it right now.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 19-04-13 3:19; edited 2 times in total
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Ruapehu
Kamchatka
Etna (in a good snow year)

Take a heavy duty probe and shovel for the magma. Shocked wink
snow report
clarky999, I would say that afghan should be out of the mix, but Iraq would be very doable. Up north in the Kurdish controlled areas (KRG) it is very safe, and there are pleny of moutains with snow, little or no ski based infrastructure exists though.

I would like to ski in Iran but think this is unlikely, Kashmir would be on my list though, along with Heli skiiing in Alaska.
snow conditions
Greenland since it's a short, cheap flight away.
One of the crazy little touring huts tucked in the countryside in North America with a big crew of friends.
Definitely Norway.
Really want to ski in South America.
Antarctica.

More like a ten year plan that one. Locally I really need to get out into the West Fjords and the East Fjords next year, the two bits of Iceland I've not skied in yet.

There have been so many pros and film crews coming through Iceland this year I think it will be way more on the map when next years movies hit.

Japan was completely awesome so I'm definitely going back at some point.

Will have to have a trip to NZ when my mate moves home. They're getting married in Scotland next year so he's thinking about getting a bunch of folk together to come sail-skiing here in Iceland or perhaps do something in the Alps for his stag do, depending on what people can be persuaded into.
ski holidays
clarky999, ,fatbob, The thing to remember about Gulmarg is it is affordable unlike many other exotic places. I haven't got round to adding some tips to the TR for getting the best out it for example not going in the peak first 2 weeks in Febuary. I think for guided, mostly lift served, wild, backcountry it is up there with the best. I tried to get across in the TR that it isn't perfect and you need to go with the right expectations. HTH.
ski holidays
AK
Gulmarg
Russia

A lot of people seem keen on Japan and Chile, I've taught in Japan for 5 years and Chile for 2 (going back for 3 this year), so if anyone needs any info feel free to ask!
snow report
BertieG, Much appreciated and the photos of the terrain were new to me. There are some places I'd feel that I'm missing out of something special if I never go there, but having travelled in India and Nepal, I'm not sure Gulmarg is one. Obviously just my view but I'm glad I was able to crystallise it based on your TR & others.
latest report
Lofoten (following TR in other thread)
Portilo
Valluga Nord
snow conditions
Japan
Austria
Norway
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy