Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't go into the mountains today - it might save your life !

Poster: A snowHead
Just been speaking to my mate, a guide in La Grave about conditions as there's been loads of big slides due to the "severe" warm weather and the Briancon / Montgenevre road was closed yesterday for a while with a big slide near Vachette, for those snowheads that were out a couple of years ago on the off piste week that was the route we did down off the back of Montgenevre!

As has already been reported and my daughter told me this morning (she's in Tignes) the road to Val was hit as well. And yesterday above Trolles they were blasting all the wet snow and she said it was great to see all the slides then coming down.

The isotherm is at circa 3500 today so huge volumes of snow up high not freezing hence everyone is on standby, for those that have traveled over the Col du Lautaret and seen those tunnels that are never used, all traffic is now being directed through them as that is when they are used when conditions are like this.

In all the years I've been over this way I've never seen those tunnels used!

So my comment in jest to Per was oh well think we'll pass on ski touring today, and that's when he said if there was one day to keep out of the mountains to save your life today was it!

Though wet soggy pistes should be ok !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wet soggy pistes it is then. There's an enormous amount of snow up there just waiting to fall off, it's true.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't worry winter is back on Friday!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Idris, better for you guys up North from the looks of things, though we have a fair amount forecast as I told my neighbour this morning as he was taking his snow tyres off, but ground is so warm in resort should not settle, famous last words..............
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Idris wrote:
Don't worry winter is back on Friday!

I guess the question is whether a cooldown will significantly and quickly reduce risks. Or maybe naturally occurring avys until Friday will...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to Tignes at the weekend, strictly piste skiing but getting nervous with all the reports of avalanches. Is piste skiing ok???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blue, Yes with a 99.999999999 % certainty providing you don't ski/walk where the pistes are closed of with ropes and banner; unfortunately a lot of people are still doing this.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No definitely won't be doing that , closed, closed for a reason!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the weekend forecast really happens and more cold weather and snow arrive; won't that make it even worse for slides when freeze-thaw coditions return next week....?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the only safe option for me to consider is sitting on a sunny balcony, or possibly in the spa, at the Oxalys with a gin and tonic. I will suffer at great length, missing every moment on the slopes to ensure I get a proper afternoon snooze and have a large lunch in town to make sure I make the most of the holiday. More importantly, they'd better not close the roads that I will be using to get into town, otherwise I'll have to give it up and head for the south coast for the week Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mistress Panda, Laughing . I'm planning a few good lunches, but I'm mot sure my wasitline will thank me for them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from a hike up the hill behind us, and mid afternoon onwards we could hear them blasting presumably when it's at it's warmest as that's when, if it's going to go it should!

We climbed up to around 1850m and I took this photo of the pistes / ski area.

Then I've zoomed it in on Couloir de la Balme, which I know quite a few Snowheads skied this year, and you should be able to make out how the whole lot has gone, and this was not due to blasting, though I'm sure they would have had it not gone!

Then in a sort of ironic twist, or a good example of Chinesse whispers in the mountains, we were driving into Briancon and we saw a sign saying "Route Barre Italia", which I thought related to yesterday's road closure, so as I have to take the Mrs to Turin tomorrow thought I'd go see what the problem still was as I still couldn't really understand how the road was closed by an avalanche at Vachette, maybe it was landslide, in which case moving rock is far harder than snow, but still did not make sense as I knew someone who went that way late last night?

Once over there near Vachette / Nevache turn, sure enough traffic was down to one lane with roadworks, and no sign of any slide, it was only when I was coming back near the old town did I see the route that was "closed", which is a backroad round Briancon round by the hospital.

So all I can think is a that a few locals got their wires very crossed and misinterpreted / misconstrued the actual facts Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Never seen so many slides in the 3V. This one next to Lac de la Chambre today. Saw another yesterday whilst sat on Plan des Mains chairlift. Secouristes have their work cut out at the moment.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam, there was a reporr in yesterday's Le Dauphiné that the Col du Montgenevre was closed due to an avalanche, but not at La Vachette.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of avalanches in Tignes/Val, quite a few coming over the pistes - as far as I know nobody involved. Mostly natural slides but also quite a bit of blasting taking place. All the pistures are wearing avi bags.
ski holidays
Drove to Italy from Briancon via Montgenevre yesterday morning - there was a huge slide that ended at the road but didn't cross it.
ski holidays
Any updates on avy risk ratings very welcome. Trying to take a last minute decision on whether to drive to the EOSB for the first 2-3 days. Looks like very decent amounts of snow coming, with a sunny Sunday and Monday to follow - but I know I'll be tempted to go offpiste so hoping for some settling down of the snowpack...
snow conditions
Seems to be sliding everywhere it shouldn't, you can add that one near the motorway in Chamonix the other week. I'm putting the skis away and getting my bike out!
latest report
Friends (Tim & Mel Mojos) came round with Le Dauphine yesterday, still pretty traumatised over the Alpe D'Huez crash as they knew quite a few on it as they picked up from Serre first and there was a big article on the avalanches - see here http://www.ledauphine.com/environnement/2013/04/16/la-neige-n-a-plus-aucun-ancrage-au-sol
snow conditions
This video from St Christophe doing the rounds at present...
Linked through Whitelines
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways, awesome but bloody scary.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, That is one impressive slide. And did I hear someone French say "Ooh la laaa" Laughing
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle, someone certainly says "putain!"
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, That really was quite an avalanche, and where on earth DID it come from?
snow conditions
Soon as that started knew exactly where it was filmed, the Via Ferrata just down from St Christophe, we did it a few years ago on a very warm April day and there were a couple of little slides into the river but nothing on that scale, must have been damn scary as that face they are on is nigh on sheer at times!

And in answer to where did it come from, this gives you a good idea.

Here's a pic of the Montgenevre one, the slide started from the ridge at the very top right of the photo - I've driven to Turin and back today and there's so many slide everywhere, and they are still blasting here in Serre.

ski holidays
horizon, Its reducing slightly - daily official reports here:

http://france.meteofrance.com/france/MONTAGNE?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagnebulletinneige%2FDEPT73#haute-tarentaise
ski holidays
Or, more directly:

http://youtube.com/v/wEKg9MBfY1E

Risk still 3 (marqué) on all aspects.

http://france.meteofrance.com/france/MONTAGNE?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagnebulletinneige%2FDEPT73
snow report
mogulski wrote:
Lots of avalanches in Tignes/Val, quite a few coming over the pistes - as far as I know nobody involved. Mostly natural slides but also quite a bit of blasting taking place. All the pistures are wearing avi bags.

Three people killed early in the morning on the Grande Motte on Sunday. Experienced off-piste skiers, French I believe.

I was in Val at the weekend and it was certainly dramatic.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The older I get the more cautious I get.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy